Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Me, ten+ years ago on Steam, so my copy was automatically updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yah quake 2 is a blast. it's just entirely loses the Lovecraftian vibe of the first one and doesnt really feel a Quake 1 sequel imo. if you wanted Quake 1 but more a lot of people were put off.

Doom 3 is similar. theres a solid game under there but it doesnt really feel like a Doom sequel. it's more of a horror game dressed up as Doom and not everyone was into that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i should clarify Quake 2 > Doom 3

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Pigma_Micron posted:

I'd still like to sera correct sequel to Quake 1. I've never played another game quite so dream-like (well, nightmare-like).

have you played Dusk? i think it is even on the switch now

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah checked Dusk is totally on Switch and is the closest thing i have played to a Quake 1 sequel. it loving rules

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
love Turok 2 remastered on PC because you can mod it so Joshua runs as fast as the dude from Dusk and it is a magical experience

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Pigma_Micron posted:

I have! It is magnificent.

:haibrower:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
which hyrule warriors is better for switch? i am leaning towards age of calamity because it is apparently more storyfocussed. i like hack and slashes but have bounced off a bunch of warriors games in the past

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

American McGay posted:

Darkest Dungeon is Pokemon for people who grew up.

i thought that was shin megami tensei

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
im gonna 100% links awakening remastered. this game has too much charm not to

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

goethe.cx posted:

i want them to remake link to the past the same way

i'd be all over that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
thinking of remakes that never were... i really dug the 3d FFIV remake on the DS and was legitimately bummed SquareEnix never did one for FFVI.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
not a worthy sale no

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

pwn posted:

Quest 64 sucks

yeah, why want Quest 64 when the superior N64 RPG is clearly Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage?!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Star posted:

The Gettysburg goon convinced me to buy ultimate general Gettysburg. So far it seems somewhat easy but it might be because it’s the early confederate battles. Maybe it’s historical to spawncamp the union on the third map. The atmosphere is great, however.

i have this and Civil War. ai gets much harder haha, esoecially if you put on a higher difficulty. also Ultimate General Civil War rules and has loads of added features and its persistent campaign is amazing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Star posted:

I’m a bit confused by the controls though because the tutorial is very basic and there is no manual for the switch version. What does fortify do?

https://youtu.be/-6D76O9_VWM?si=duK6pnibesJftLio

their channel has some useful vids. absolutely learn fortify or your men will die like dogs

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Star posted:

Is this valid also for Gettysburg then?

oooo you know what i am now not sure if Gettysburg has them snap to defensive positions like Civil War does. you may have to manually position them. however yeah they otherwise operate the same. it takes moment for them to 'entrench' but then they attack more 'tenaciously' according to the game. i think they become more accurate.

importantly, they hold their defensive position and wont retreat unless killed or morale is entirely destroyed. that way you can set up defensive lines and leave them while looking at other parts of the map and you dont have to worry about them getting out of position

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
YouTube: Filter Short Bus full album Mario 64 soundfont cover

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
any advice on SD cards for switches? do brands matter? i wanted to buy one byt didnt know if i should stick nmto nintendo branded or grab biggest sandisk i could find.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ImpAtom posted:

If they were doing it on purpose I'd assume they would have included the Super Crown again so we could get Elephant Bowsette.

Nintendo: "There's NO way anyone could want to gently caress an elephant. That would be insane."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

njsykora posted:

The Nintendo branded ones I believe are just Sandisks, since they have the license. There's functionally no difference between those and their regular ones. I have a 256gb Samsung card in mine personally. Generally anything from the big brands will work just fine so long as you don't get a fake.

:cheers: what i needed to know

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i am pumped for talking flowers

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Everdraed posted:

honestly i've been very impressed by the voice acting, exciting to see where they take this stuff
https://twitter.com/Everdraed/status/1697386556691186045

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nodosaur posted:

…what? Uncle? What are you calling me?

"Uncle Nodosaur", clearly

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mega64 posted:

I can't believe goons are being weird about video games

nintendo thread gettin spicy today. mild spicy

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mr.Acula posted:

Im gona need a new jar for the elephant peach amiibo

:goofy:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mega64 posted:

What are you all playing on the Nintendo Switch?

picked up Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battles for my next Switch game. was split between it and its sequel but ultimately went with the first because i like the art direction more. super charming game. i suck at XCOM. put like 30 hours in Enemy Unknown but still get my rear end kicked. this game is very much baby's first XCOM but i dig just breezing through it. very xen. especially after a long day.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hey Mega, you ever play Octopath? you should check it out. i think it's a game series you'd be into

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i still have the actual cart for quest for camelot. it sucks so hard. really bad zelda clone. i got a bit of ways in but interest fizzled put hard and fast at an age when i was willing to put up with tedious bullshit in a video game

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bug Squash posted:

I bought Quest for Camelot with my pocket money, and the only thing I remember is being stuck forever on the final boss as you could only beat him by baiting him into hit the central stone with his sword. There's no in game indication of this, you're supposed to know it from watching the movie, which no-one did.

i got stuck on that stupid sled section as a kid and just gave up. terrible game. the save function was an item you had to equip and use in the field rather than be... you know... a menu option.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

maybealabia posted:

They all owned the same copy, passed hand to unsuspecting hand at a series of yard sales

Quest for Creepypasta

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally posted:

i got stuck on that stupid sled section as a kid and just gave up. terrible game. the save function was an item you had to equip and use in the field rather than be... you know... a menu option.

also i found the part of the game where i gave up:
https://youtu.be/pvT7_8A2EuA?si=zLseTalVspKrL80b&t=5150

loving sled. looks worse than i remember

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
not much whats an oxxi with you?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Looper posted:

has anyone played quest for camelot

yeah it loving sucks

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
okay, so finished Mario and Rabbids 1. good game. very chill. i dig the casual XCOM experience and will keep a look out for the sequel on sale.

grabbed Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition on recommendation from this thread. diggin it so far. never played a Warriors game before so it's all new and exciting for me. i can see myself burning out on the repetitiveness of the gameplay, but am enjoying now. scored some used copies of Pokemon Shield and Mario Land 3D... waiting for them to arrive in the mail. i figure if i play Hyrule Warriors until they arrive i can avoid burnout.

#gamingproblemsandsolutions

feels good to be playing on a nintendo console again. first new one since the DS.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah playing aggressive in Rabbids was so satisfying versus doing slow overwatch crawls in XCOM hoping none of my soldiers permanently dies. thought i might go in for a balanced group with at least one dedicated long range character but instead mostly uses close range characters like Peach and Rabbid Mario. Rabbid Lugi was pretty great too with the maxxed out vampire dash keeping him permanently healed. my biggest gripe was being forced to use at least one rabbid character in my party amd not being able to switch out Mario but apprentlg Rabbids 2 fixes that so...

Hrist posted:

The best advice I can give to avoid burning out on HW is to maybe do the story mode for now, and then come back the big maps later on after a break. The story is kind of a drag compared to the rest of the game anyway. And the missions might feel too repetitive by the time you finish it. But once you do start playing the maps (I forget the name of the mode atm) you'll have literally like, 700 hours of game to play. It's no exaggeration. So it'll last you years of off and on playing.

700 hours haha jfc

i appreciate the advice and will probably do just that

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

No Wave posted:

Any good JRPGs with moderately sized text and above?

Quest for Camelot

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
split it up over two games and the combined version isnt 2player?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Larryb posted:

Pretty sure 2 Player still works in the combined version (both in terms of Sonic & Tails together and the Competition mode)

Also there’s no reason to play Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles separately anymore (aside from maybe some better music in vanilla S3)

no i am fairly certain you lose the co-op version of the game when you connect the cartridges. it qas the big reason why i never really cared about Sonic and Knuckles. i could play couch coop with my cousin in Sonic 3 so I liked that one more even though it was half a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i dont think im making myself understood so i am just gonna quote from the wikipedia article which is citing the instruction booklet:

Wikipedia posted:

Since Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 were initially developed as one game, their gameplay is similar: both are 2D side-scrolling platformers with similar level design, graphics, and game mechanics. However, in Sonic & Knuckles, unlike in Sonic 3, the player chooses either Sonic or Knuckles at the title screen,[3] Miles "Tails" Prower is not available to select, and the player cannot control two characters together. There is also no multiplayer mode or save feature.[4]