Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was out of town for ~3 weeks and didn't have time to keep up with the Nintendo thread.

Looks like SMTV isn't out yet but BoI:Repentance finally is. (Finally!) And I suppose the AC update if I want to lose contact with my wife for a while.

Anything else newsworthy over the last few weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Louisgod posted:

Speaking of Binding of Isaac: Repentance, how does the new content work if own a physical copy of the game? Do you pay for it digitally and it acts as DLC?

That's what I did.

Haven't fired it up yet but it looked like a DLC and when I purchased it the download bar appeared underneath the game icon with the empty cart symbol.

Gotta figure out where I've stashed that one.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mega64 posted:

Dear thread, please don't post like this.

I may've glossed over when it happened but what's the offense here? Just poorly written with likely-inflammatory intent, something to do with the language itself, or some context I'm missing?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

hatty posted:

Cling to your switches because the NFT apocalypse is at hand. Make your peace with your current technological possessions before the daily wildfires and severe storms end society

Good thing I buy physical.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bust Rodd posted:

FF8 is the only video game so boring that your party members pass out due to boredom multiple times

That was the first game where I made the deliberate decision to stop playing because I wasn't having fun. And I may've still been in middle school at the time.

Mister Facetious posted:

They literally get amnesia cause they spam guardian force attacks as a story point :haw:

I also stopped using summons almost immediately because of how long the animations took.

So really FF8 was a great game because it taught me to value my time.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I said come in! posted:

If you get to a frustrating part or just want to grind too, there is a Safety difficulty option you can download for free from the eshop.

Haha, that's really rubbing it in. Not only do you have to use easy mode, you have to go out of your way to get even easier mode, you bumbling baby.

I'll keep it in mind for when I pick up the game.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Whew, finally wall-mounted an old TV that still works over HDMI.

What's the current cheap/safe extra dock recommendation so I have to come up with a new excuse as to why I'm not Ring Fit?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I did not know the '90s was still producing Nintendo accessories.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Big yes to most of those.

But I've gotta finish Dungeon Encounters first. And maaaybe TMS, though I may've gotten my fill of its coziness.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Harrow posted:

SMTV has a very specific kind of EXP curve where you get a ton of EXP for beating enemies that are a higher level than you, okay EXP for same-level enemies, and negligible EXP for enemies below your level. This means that when you get to a new area where you're getting your rear end kicked, you're gaining levels really quickly until it starts to even out, but at the same time, specifically grinding battles for EXP doesn't really reward you that much.

It bothers me greatly that most other games do not do this.

I get into some fight that I'm too stubborn to significantly backtrack on, spend like an hour finally bulling through it, and ta-da? Less rewards than a few minutes on nearby auto-attack trash mobs.

Definitely gone from a We'll See to a Get It As Is Convenient.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nemesis_hub posted:

Does GameStop still do that thing where they for some reason open games and still sell them as “new”?

Also if you call in and they have a game it's always the last copy. So not only with the box be open but it'll have that sticker that leaves residue no matter what you do.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

flavor.flv posted:

Skyrim is really bad for that, I'll hit the power button and leave it on the bed, and I'll come back to the fans blowing, the switch noticeably warm and eighty percent of the battery gone. It especially sucks in that case cause skyrim takes so drat long to boot up if you do decide to close it

Have you updated it all the way?

I played a bunch o' Skyrim and never closed it out nor had that problem.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

They announce any upcoming Black Friday type sales?

People are threatening to buy me Christmas gifts, and I'll probably want to play at least SMT:V by then.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks for reminding me about Hades.

Had someone play my copy of it over the holiday, and now there's a good chance they have a copy of it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Endorph posted:

ai's one of the funniest games ive ever played honestly. some of the sex jokes are a bit whatever but stuff like the forklift joke more than makes up for it.

I would've felt worse about the big boobies jokes if they didn't lean into them so hard, but like many other things they go to absurd places.

The secretary ending is the best.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think I missed out on that one.

Though now I'm remembering the jokes about that one guy whose name I can't remember and grinning again.

Lookin' forward to the sequel.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I remember it being asked a few times but for some reason don't remember the answer:

How's the Disco Elysium port?

I might have time for something that does involve thinking but does not (much) involve reading.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Huxley posted:

Runs OK, but save before every loading screen. It crashed about once every couple of hours when I was playing it. I got about 15 hours in, lost a half hour to a crash and told myself I'd get back to it if/when it patched.

Hmm, thanks. Maybe I'll wait 'til patches / Steam Deck for that one.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It's also not that hard, especially in modern times when memory card size constraints are not an issue, to save to a temporary location and only update the save file's reference to it as a final, atomic operation.

I don't know why that isn't standard practice; it's certainly a requirement in my industry.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Feels Villeneuve posted:

how would you even do that, one of the big inconveniences of that kind of thing is that the charging port being on the bottom means you can't easily charge the switch when it's propped up

First two accessories I got were a second wall wart for charging and a portable flip stand that left room at the bottom for plugging.

Set the Switch up near the junk under my monitor and keep the joycons in my lap near the keyboard tray, none's the wiser.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

I finally busted out the recent remake over Thanksgiving.

I kinda remember how the original game worked and this one seemed to be a pretty direct recreation of that but ironically I could not tell what was going on because they were trying too hard to tell me what was going on. The screen was all busy and there were popups and words and stuff, made it feel like a busy mess.

Don't know how we managed to learn things as kids. Clearly I have the oldbrains.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

beer gas canister posted:

Loop Hero preorders will unlock tonight :woop:

Neat -- lemme know how it is. That one looked kinda cool when they announced it, then I forgot about it. And right now my SMT:V is in some stocking or other.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The trolls-as-luchadores totally did work and I won't hear otherwise.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Best thing in Mario Kart 64 was runnin' alongside the train down the railroad track instead of following the course.

Or trying to scale the mountain.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

beer gas canister posted:

played 3 hours of Loop Hero today. controller support is good. text is a little small, i suggest using the high def font instead of pixel font. gameplay is fun and mysterious, but the numbers are clear enough to tell how things the mechanics connect. i never played the PC release but this one seems to work without glitches or issues so go hog wild

Ended up gettin' it last night anyway. Definitely a numbers-go-up kinda game with dopamine for now at experiencing and learning about new content.

I suspect it won't hold my long term interest 'cause the meaningful decision space seems pretty low, but that's fine. It's still a novel design.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's an excellent remake/reboot from a couple years ago that frequently goes on sale for
:fivecbux:. I believe it just got a huge new upgrade.

Was it actually excellent?

I tried playing it for 10 minutes in a social context and just got confused.

Maybe I'll continue not touching it and try the Genesis game again to see if it's it or me.

Looking forward to finally beating Dynamite Headdy.

If I can stop playing Loop Hero.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nachos posted:

Wow now that I finally understand what the hell is going on in Loop Hero I can't stop thinking about it. What a stupidly addicting game.

I've had SMT:V quietly sitting in Christmas wrapping on the table full of all kinds of gifts for the better part of a week now. I could easily open it up and none would be wiser -- the person who got it for me is out of town for a bit.

Hadn't remembered that fact until you reminded me how consuming Loop Hero has been.

I don't even like roguelites as opposed to roguelikes, though I can generally see the appeal in delaying the introduction of content. But Loop Hero makes me feel like I'm figuring out how it works on my own just enough to keep me very engaged without feeling opaque. And the aesthetics are spot-on.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MatchaZed posted:

Saint's Row 4 is like $3 on the eshop right now wtf

Welp looks like I'll be trying out this franchise 'cause I've got $4.

Even if I don't like the game I still like the idea that this level of discount is accidental and I'm ever-so-briefly the master of the system instead of its slave.

Mmm, consumerism.

edit: Saint's Row 3 is only $14, which I could justify spending if it's enough of a better game.

Given that I've not played a GTA since regular III (not that I didn't enjoy it, just not what I normally seek), 'm I better off with 4 or 3?

(I also heard the Switch port of 3 had more technical issues but if it's not game-breaking I probably don't mind.)

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 20, 2021

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just got a text from a friend I hadn't heard from in ages, was looking for the name of that one tactics RPG where you could recruit the monsters.

It was Tactics Ogre and for some bizarre reason there does not(?) appear to be a version on the Switch, unless you count PPSSPP running on a hacked Switch.

He asked me how hard it would be to hack his Switch and I said don't bother.

But he did end up with Loop Hero and Saints Row IV so mission accomplished?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark + DLC has recruitable monsters and is Final Fantasy style job system and combat. It's actually pretty good. I didn't get the DLC so I can't recruit monsters, but it's there.

How's the storyline and mechanical character progression?

Into the Breach is great tactically but didn't have that RPG numbers-go-up comfort blanket that I think he's looking for.

Though Loop Hero'll keep 'im busy for a bit I bet.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Fell Seal words.

Hmm. I was gonna put it in the don't-have-time category but those details put it on the DekuDeals and then we'll see list.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know what mood one has to be in to start Subnautica though.

Also, is Disco Elysium a one and done game or does it have staying power/replayability? It's a question regarding whether or not I download it or get it physically.

Subnautica straddles a strange line between chill/relaxing and nope nope nope. Probably 80% of the time chill but man those nopes hit hard.

Last I asked (kinda recently) Disco Elysium still had some rough edges on the Switch to the point where I'm either going physical or Steam Deck. (I also haven't opened Christmas SMT:V or $3 SR:IV so I'm not jonesin'.)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Pirate Captain posted:

That’s called the Tetris effect and it will 100% happen.

Didn't happen for me until Tetris Attack came along.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mandatory lesbian posted:

I ignored the story so like, idk the plot might suck. Too busy running up skyscrapers and jumping off the top

Why yes, I did play City of Villains...

Kinda glad I bought 4 and not 3 based on that kind of stuff.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Looking forward to unwrapping it, though I might be distracted by Saints Row IV for a bit. Spent about 3 hours on it last night, a good half of which was just jumping on buildings and collecting shinies.

As a hobbyist gamedev Saints Row IV feels like they established a complete regular game engine then one of the devs said, "Tee-hee, look what I did to the physics," and a director saw it, approved, and designed the game around it.

I can see why some people are put off by the narrative justifications for it but the fact that one of the activities is throwing your body into ragdoll mode while still being able to accelerate it and getting points for how much you can bounce it without coming to a stop is :kiss:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mandatory lesbian posted:

Hell yeah, so theres no slowdown? I was super skeptical the switch could handle it but if its as smooth as pc im def gonna pick it up

I think there have been a few hitches in combat but for the most part I'm too distracted by bouncing from roof to roof.

I did stop to ponder for a moment that none of whatever tricks they used to get a game like that running on the Switch weren't obvious to me. Wasn't distracted by any pop-in, didn't catch LoD upgrades or downgrades. The one thing I wondered is that it seems to always be night in the city but I think that was a design choice so they didn't have to make assets that looked good in multiple contexts.

Yes it's a 2013 game but it feels impressive compared to the other stuff I've played on the Switch. It's definitely not a bad port.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Phone posting so no quotes but Saints Row IV seems to run fine (I've heard 3 does worse) and there's about a half hour of awesome introductory set pieces before the world opens up.

Then some tutorials that are probably good to follow but once I got the jumps I started jumping.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Google Butt posted:

How is loop hero? I'm not a rogue like guy but seems different?

I find it surprisingly compelling. It looks almost like an idle game but it constantly commands just a small fraction of my attention, which is the sweet spot for things that can be played while maintaining a light conversation or half-watching some show.

But also I think about what I could do better at times when I'm not playing it, so it's not completely mindless or reactive as some roguelikes are.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I just started SMT:V on Hard (which I will very likely walk back at some point because yowza) and I wanna make sure I'm not doing anything egregiously wrong: when you fuse two dudes you'll get the new guy pictured but it'll start with the skills you got to pick?

Does it benefit stat growth in any predictable way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Turns out part of my confusion was that I had only unlocked Essence Fusion, not Demon Fusion. Things make a lot more sense now that I have the Demon Fusion menu.

But thanks for the tips! I also only just now fully understand how the extra/unextra turn system works, and it's brutal when you whiff or they crit.

All my points now goin' into Dex (like every game).