Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm about to go on a drunken eShop rampage for sales and cheap stuff, please recommend things

Edit: rampage ended.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Drunken haul:
Where the Water Tastes Like Wine
Down in Bermuda
Heaven's Vault
Outer Worlds w/ DLC
Journey to Savage Planet
Suzerain
Turnip Commits Tax Evasion
Figment
Thumper

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Never played Quest 64 but am proud to live on land where it is known by its true title Holy Magic Century.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Huge pressure on Silksong now to come through for 22!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is there a source that collates really good Mario Maker 2 levels/worlds?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I don't know any better and tried this when I couldn't online play any game and it didn't even work. I'm NAT type D. I called my ISP for a fix and they didn't know what to do. Has something to do with the IP address. It sucks. I'll just unsubscribe I guess.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I am enjoying it so far but if the game explains to me what a palace is one more time i will scream. I don't mind a dialogue heavy game and I know the translators must have had a hell of a job filling out empty space when translating to English but Christ there's a highly redundant amount of redundant dialogue.

And as far as I understand this is the good part.
You could cut half the dialogue, it's absurd how much it repeats itself.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Want a game to tide me over the next few days. Will I get more time out of new Kirby or Sparks of Hope?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Sparks of Hope is certainly longer but Kirby is really really amazing (not to say Sparks isn't good too it's just not Kirby).
Does SoH have puzzles similar to KB? I found those pretty lame in KB. I like puzzles but those ones weren't very good.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

No it doesn't have those at all, assuming I'm remembering right and you're talking about the battle puzzles. It does have overworld puzzles.
I meant the overworld ones.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I just realised Sparks will be half price soon enough so I'll get Kirby.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I don't care what happens to Nintendo ever since they robbed me of Super Mario 35.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I have a desire to play the new Pokemon even though I hated Sword and despite the avatar haven't played another Pokemon since Red when I was a kid.

What I didn't like about Sword was the very simplistic dialogue and how fights seemed like nothing more than applying elemental weaknesses until you win. Is this that?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Maybe I'll get Pokemon Snap 2 instead.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

The riddle in Sparks of Hope where you place the animal tokens on podiums indicating times of day is one of the worst things I've come across in a while. I thought the fox was a seahorse, the swan a duck, the bird a fish! The bird is specifically a woodpecker you're supposed to place at sunrise based on the phrase "wooden bell". But you're just supposed to know it's a woodpecker based on the little image of a bird which looks like a fish. The term woodpecker never comes up anywhere.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Sparks of Hope has an odd way of handling dialogue by having the two helper characters voice every line while some protagonists do not voice their lines but do have text dialogue, but others don't have any dialogue, and side characters voice a part of a line that doesn't help since you need to read the text anyway, and it's not something my brain has adjusted to late in the game.

The part-speaking is an experiment I've not seen elsewhere and it does not work. It trips me up.

Exploration is better than the first. Combat I'm not sure, it's good though.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 28, 2023

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

The movie has good animation, acting and original music. It's let down badly by the plot and dialogue. The way they cram videogame logic into the world is so jarring.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Read After Burning posted:

Huh...what style is it? We talking orchestral stuff or more chiptune-ish?
Yeah mostly orchestral, plenty of it based on Mario classics. The addition of pop songs is a bummer, not so much that there are any at all but that the choices are so formulaic, like I'd guess they're all in other movies.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

how could it possibly be jarring when it's how the games are played
There's a scene where Peach explains that if you hit a ? block you get a mushroom that makes you big but if you get hit you lose the power.

I think they could tell a fun story without needing to explain or have any of that. Just have Mario doing platforming stuff as part of action scenes.

The movie is for kids so it doesn't really matter.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Just had the memory of the Spirit Tracks microphone-required compulsory minigame you have to do five or so times and my loser rear end sitting in bed blowing on my Wii U in agony.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Non Compos Mentis posted:

cant wait for the zelda movie and for them to say everything different to peoples internal pronunciations
I was thrown to learn it's High-lian not Hill-ian.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

How is Fire Emblem Engage? I really liked Three Houses although was disappointed that its story was rushed through in the end. Someone at work told me Engage sucks and that's all I know.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Hmm in that case, what's the better of FE:E and the Advance Wars Reboot? Never played Advance Wars so whether it's a retread won't matter.

Edit: And Tactics Ogre!

snoremac fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 14, 2023

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Cheers all for Engage praise/info. I loved the battles in TH and don't mind if it's light on story.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Moon is the other Earthbound game I never knew about. This is really neat.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

snoremac posted:

Moon is the other Earthbound game I never knew about. This is really neat.
Now that I've played further I'm not going to finish it because some quests are too opaque in hinting at what needs to be done, plus it has a day/night schedule that everything follows and I'm not willing to observe it all to finish the game properly.

Still, I enjoyed my time with it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Was Skyward Sword the last Zelda to adhere closely to the style of each dungeon containing an item that helps you complete the dungeon and opens up new things on the open world?

I'm playing A Link Between Worlds, which is pretty traditional overall but gives you all items early like Breath of the Wild, though the dungeons are definitely closer in style to tradition than the BotW shrines where you can create surprising ways forward by playing with your toys. I don't think I've done anything that wasn't the one preordained thing to do.

It's fun though!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Finished A Link Between Worlds. I like how there's some Mario Maker-style twists like using the creepy stalker hand to kill enemies and press switches out of reach. It's also cool how the dungeons don't require more than one or two of your items each to save you fiddling about with the two slots a bunch. And since I'm getting older and more impatient, I'm glad I got through it without a peak at a walkthrough. The puzzle difficulty strikes a very good balance. It's always nice to feel stuck and then remember the merge ability and reveal new possibilities.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I'm still committed to entering the thresher of a Souls boss again and again but if I can't figure out how to progress in a game, including From games, to the point where I'm not enjoying myself I am much more likely now to check a walkthrough to get things flowing again. I was always disappointed in myself doing that when younger. Horrible memories of OoT Water Temple pushing me to buy an unofficial strategy guide.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I looked back fondly on Twilight Princess but playing it over the weekend the stuff in-between dungeons is such a slog that I was too bored to continue before reaching the water temple. The wolf sections are no fun. The two dungeons I did were fine. I'm going to try Skyward Sword next and think I'll prefer its dungeon-style overworld more than TP's long treks and boring wolf combat. But that game had its own share of crap. Really I think they got it right with Ocarina by having an overworld where you can go out of your way to do extra things but can beeline fairly quickly between dungeons.

That said I've played these games so many times I can't help being impatient during their slower parts, so my experience might not bear on what a new player would think.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 22, 2024

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

otter posted:

How is the control on TP? I’ve never played it but I’ve never been good with the whole Wiimote / nunchuck controls. Can you just play it with the GameCube / WiiU controller?

I really want them to just make windwaker / TP for switch. Bing bong so simple. Why not done?
You can use traditional controllers on the Gamecube and Wii U version and it controls just fine like that.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Twilight Princess is a game I've tried to enjoy several times but never did. It has a lot going for it, but everything just feels so slow and padded out. The initial setup and tutorial areas before the world opens up just seems like it takes forever.
It's like an indulgence of Eiji Aonuma's since Majora's Mask to have long railroaded openings that he finally threw out the window with Breath of the Wild (well not exactly, but it teaches the ropes in a more engaging way). I've come to appreciate how well Ocarina of Time starts. It's the easiest one to pick up and replay, but you can see how much care went into making exploration and adventure a component for new players, even when you're locked in the Kokiro section. It also doesn't force all gameplay information through a bottleneck but leaves it around to find if you want to.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 22, 2024

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem for them, if it's true, is Mario Kart 8 has a shitload of courses and characters to choose from now, and Mario Kart X has to match that as a starting point at the bare-minimum.
I'm confident people will buy the slop if its base courses/characters is equal to or less than base MK8 and I wouldn't blame them because new courses that aren't the Mario Kart Tour DLC are fun to experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

External Organs posted:

Been playing through Cocoon and if anyone's on the fence: imagine if an entire game gave you what amounts to 4 classic style Zelda puzzle dungeons somehow stacked inside / within each other. It gives my brain such a nice feeling.

What it doesn't have: multiple solutions to puzzles. It's all insanely hand crafted / deliberate.

I was trying to think of the last time a game gave me this feeling and it's probably the dungeons in Twilight Princess back in 2005.
I played it for about two hours and I suppose it's very pleasant if you are charmed by the flow of the never-too-hard puzzles and colourful future insect aesthetic but I just didn't have the urge to see it through.

Speaking of Twilight Princess, I tried playing that again a couple weeks ago (having played it a lot in the past) and you're right that the dungeons, of which I did two this time, are very enjoyable, but drat the overworld poo poo you're forced to do needed to be edited down. Crazy how OoT's relative beelines between dungeons got increasingly bloated up until BotW (but also the wolf sections in TP are just bad and there's lots of them).