Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Spacebump posted:

Did someone alter this video or does this really happen on the emulator?
https://twitter.com/chiguinoki/status/1455693413886611464

I just watched my sister play through this exact bit in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and it (along with the entire game up to that point) was perfectly smooth and, aside from the higher resolution, accurate to the N64 version. I wasn't the one playing so I can't speak to any input lag but as a spectator the video was actually much better and more reliable than steam's remote play and streaming features. This has been my Nintendo Online + Expansion Pack N64 Collection testimonial, thank you for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Sin and Punishment is insanely good and anyone who hasn't played it before should definitely check it out. The training mode is actually a really good introduction to the controls and I recommend playing through it and messing around with the different control modes before starting the game. (I think control mode C works best with modern controllers)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Using Persona as a point of reference is fine. Complaining that SMT is not persona because you like persona more is dumb, that's like saying all movies should be about superheroes making quips because marvel is populer.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Andrast posted:

It's a bad comparison because barely anyone played Nocturne so people don't know what what the gently caress you are talking about if you talk about it

Persona is still pretty niche, so for the sake of accessibility I think SMTV reviews should focus on how it’s different from New Super Mario Bros.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Bleck posted:

I'm struggling to think of a board game that doesn't work this way, to be honest.

Modern board games actually rule really hard, there's tons of fun and balanced and varied games out there.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Oxyclean posted:

It's actually kind of sad that, of all things is the most disliked video on youtube, and not like, something bad that isn't just an ad.

The headline is misleading but it sounds like it’s just the most disliked video on Nintendo’s channel, not youtube as a whole.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Read After Burning posted:

All the fruit pies, jellies, and tarts in Animal Crossing look so good. :(

Gimmie this fuckin' thing!

Very important: if you put jelly on a table you can interact to jiggle it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Performative typos are a sign of weakness. If Stux truly believed in their posts they would not need a shield of ironic distance.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Transistor has imo the best story and soundtrack of all of Supergiant's games, it's really good.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
SaGa games are all totally standalone, you can start anywhere.

In addition to the ones already mentioned, SaGa Scarlet Grace is currently 70% off. It has the most comprehensive ingame documentation of any of the SaGa games, as well as one of the best jrpg battle systems on the Switch, so it’s a great choice if you want a gameplay-focused rpg.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I don't think there's anything else on switch with the same magnitude of mechanics as Rune Factory, at least not in the farming-adjacent area. After Stardew there's plenty of smaller indie games with their own twists on the formula but they're all going to be more limited than Rune Factory is. If you really can't accept a 3ds port you might need to just wait until Rune Factory 5 comes out next year.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Rise (without expansion) is currently a better game than World (without expansion) ever was.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Bleck posted:

A significant chunk of the paid DLC is layered armor for yourself and your pets, which in previous games tended to be free content that came with fun event quests. Now the event quests are often indistinguishable from normal quests and just get you A Sticker - the core loop of "kill monster, make new hat out of monster, fight new monster" loses its charm when you take out the part with the hat.

The microtransaction dlc is lame but that started with World, not Rise.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
My favorite part of Undertale is that it's extremely well written and has great music and some pretty fun gameplay.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I was sold on Undertale after the demo and played it at release, when it was still an obscure indie game and not the megahit it is now, so I guess my perspective is different, but not being able to enjoy it because too many people online like always sounds like the saddest thing. It's a single player game, you don't need to interact with those guys in any way! Just ignore the fanbase and have fun!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

nrook posted:

My problem with Pikmin is the other way around. Pikmin was basically a perfect game, but a lot of people find it difficult to handle time limits psychologically, so Nintendo compromised and released inferior games as sequels. The game is the time pressure, so once Nintendo gave up on the time pressure, there was no game left.

Pikmin 3 has a time limit, plus the trial maps that are basically a full pikmin game compressed down to 10 minutes. It's extremely good.

I definitely agree about the importance of the time limit, though. Without the pressure to optimize and multitask I found the caves in 2 to be a lot less interesting than the rest of the series.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Len posted:

Did they ever unfuck the Crystal Chronicles multiplayer? It's on sale and if you can actually have a campaign going it would be easy enough to get friends to throw in on it.

Last I heard there wasn't a campaign though and the lobbies were one dungeon and then you had to quit and reform?

They did not. It works fine if you want to do a single player campaign with the occasional multiplayer dungeon, and it can be fairly fun to play through a dungeon with random pubs now and then, but it's impossible to do a full campaign in multiplayer.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

fit em all up in there posted:

Has anyone tried out the Monster Rancher game ? Was thinking of picking it on switch, but I saw it was on pc too.

I’ve been playing it, it’s pretty fun. It’s basically just a straight port of the PS1 games with some minor QoL changes, but I think the game still holds up pretty well if you’re in the mood for it. There’s no differences between the switch and pc version that I know of.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Leftmost column is complete and can get an X at the bottom.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

The Bloop posted:

Yeah same, but I just have to accept that I am "done" playing Splatoon 2 in any real sense

Losing 4xS+ and all the gear is sad :/

You can still transfer your Splatoon 2 save to a new switch, you just can't use cloud backups for it. Just don't sell your old switch until after you have the new one.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought Rise was significantly worse than World tbh, even with the improvements to make multiplayer actually work right

This is backwards, World was a low point for the series and Rise was a good recovery from it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Google Butt posted:

name a game I should buy (not botw)

SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I'll do coop picross sometimes, it's fun. The cursor thing isn't a problem when you're both actually playing, and even if someone needs to step away for a bit it's easy to move it on top of a solved square so it's not in the way. The rest of your problems are just imaginary, there's no "competitive counter play" and it's nice having separate cursors instead of having to go through "look at, uh, that row, the one with the 2 3 3 near the bottom" every time you spot something.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Huxley posted:

How is the Shiren game?

It's probably the best traditional roguelike on switch. Rock solid mechanics, tons of content, and it has the really fun rescue system.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Gyro is better than sticks because it allows you to be both fast and precise. There’s a reason basically every fps has to add really strong autoaim to the dual analogue controls, but gyro based games like splatoon don’t.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Dual Analogue controls are a lot like using the auto steering in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for your Nintendo Switch - it's a good choice if you're a small child with poor motor controls, but a real gamer will probably want to move on to controlling the game more directly.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

KingSlime posted:

Still hard to believe that they haven't fixed gyro aiming in monster Hunter rise, tried it recently and it was still completely hosed. Is Capcom even aware of the problem? lmao

You might need to adjust the settings. It's been fine for me since launch but I know it's possible to turn weird stuff on like having the gyro control the camera 100% of the time.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Stux posted:

i can beat mouse players with a controller even if im more powerful still with a mouse.

As documented here, Stux agrees that dual analogues are inferior and only uses them as a sort of gaming weighted training clothes. I’m glad the switch thread could reach a consensus on this.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Commander Keene posted:

I don't like rumble and get annoyed when a game (or preferably the console itself on a system level) doesn't allow you to turn it off. Which, guess what, is my main problem with BOTW so far. Game's still good, but why can't I turn the rumble off?

System settings -> controllers and sensors -> controller vibration

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Srice posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1481289727646965761

Wow, this is a heck of a surprise. Even just a port would be neat but it's very cool that they went the extra mile.

The full description on the eshop makes it sound like it's still two separate games, they're just both included and let you trade with yourself

quote:

-You can trade between both the SNK and CAPCOM Cardfighters' Versions. What's more, you can even use their individual save data to have them battle each other!

*You may switch between the SNK Cardfighter's Version and CAPCOM Cardfighter's Version at any time, but each has their own save data.

Still cool though.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Larryb posted:

I must have missed him then, where did he show up?

Also since the plot involves Waddle Dees being abducted I assume Dedede will get involved somehow since that’s a large majority of his workforce
A 3 second shot at 1:22, looks like his regular boss fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiPcRCWzcGo&t=82s

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I found Diablo 3 to be just okay, but for the record the switch version has never required you to play the campaign and always allowed you to jump straight into adventure mode.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

This is not a passive aggressive dig or anything: it’s pretty fascinating (and kind of impressive) that you’ve been programming a solver for picross despite apparently having no idea how to solve picross.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Fortunately, since I bought physical I can simply insert my Wii U disks into the switch, unlike those fools who bought their Wii U games digitally.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Your digital games will not be taken away from you.

There will, at some point, come a time when you are no longer able to redownload them from the company's servers. But that's not really very different from physical games - by the time the digital storefronts are shut down they will have long since stopped printing new physical copies of the game, so you need to keep your copy intact either way. Or just pirate and homebrew, because that's the inevitable answer to games preservation decades after release

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

bowmore posted:

why play the N64 majoras mask when the 3DS version is available

The 3ds version messed up zora swimming and as such is strictly inferior.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Morpheus posted:

Also something small I've been checking in puzzles recently, that doesn't always add up to much but has helped: the 4 in the first column cant be in the first available row you have there (the 1 1) since if it was, then the next column would have
X
O
X

Which goes against the clue of the 2...if that makes sense.

For the record, this style of deduction is never required for Nintendo’s picross stuff, although obviously it’s still valid.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Part Time UFO is a fun coop game. It can get a little tricky if you're going for 100% but just beating it normally shouldn't be too bad.

Wuppo is a sort Paper Mario-ish metroidvania, with a coop mode where player 2 can control an invincible bird who helps out in combat. There's some bosses but a ton of the game is just exploring, talking to people, and doing random sidequests and minigames

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, what do you mean? Like, it makes a virtual opponent?

The emulator has netplay, so you can get controller slot one and your friend across the internet gets controller slot two. The nes game is unaltered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Xenomrph posted:

Wait how does that work? Like, could I be getting gold points on these used games I’m buying?

Hit + to bring up the software information, then scroll down to the Nintendo Rewards program part. It can only be done once per cartridge, so if you're buying used it depends on whether the previous owner already got them, plus as mentioned it's only possible for 1 year or something after the cartridge is printed.