Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The only one that really messed me up was XB 2 putting your menus on start and the map on the top face button and the map has a tiny load it has to do if you hit it by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

If Skies of Arcadia on GC isn’t crazy expensive that’s the GameCube game I recommend if you need hours.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Larryb posted:

Technically it’s already a remake of a Dreamcast title but they should remake or port that game to modern consoles someday

Considering Valkyrie Chronicles gets put on everything I’ve always found this odd, although I guess that game was already HD.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Hogama posted:

The Wizardry creators weren't shy about the early games cribbing heavily from D&D (it has THAC0!), presumably they just didn't do the sci-fi modules. But even if they didn't have too much of the hidden futuristic early on, Wizardry 1-4 were also kind of (deliberately) goofy at parts; the first game has things like a Blade Cusinart, a Monster Allocation Center, TREBOR SUX!, and this message right outside the final boss's room:

The later Wizardry games starting being handled by different teams, even before the IP found extended life in Japan.

The Wizardy’s they put out in Japan now seem like they’d be fun, but there’s no way it’s worth them translating them. I’ll take all the dungeon crawlers I can get.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I’m fine with “it was future earth the whole time” if it’s established, but getting hit with it as a twist is “it was all a dream” tier.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I should try Harvestella. What’s the ratio of farming to combat and how much watering before I can make a machine that does it?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

It's basically an action rpg where instead of buying your healing items you have to grow them.

Oh that’s cool. I’ll try this, I feel like I see it go on sale on the eshop once and awhile.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

They got Xenoblade 2 to look and run like it does on the normal Switch.

Anything further is just grandstanding.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Don’t a ridiculous amount of people own the Switch? Why start over if you can just keep selling them software?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

lines posted:

I would predict heavy backwards compatibility. It's not like the Switch is a particularly complex architecture.

I just hope they keep it cheap, one reason we have a switch is because they’re like 200 something bucks. As soon as it veers into steam deck price I’m out.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watch it be Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters again.

It’s Wave Race and Wave Race:Blue Storm

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

mdemone posted:

Yeah I watched my son 100% Kirby and it was surprisingly deep and challenging. He kept making me help on the very last few bosses but I would just die immediately and get in the way

One of my kids plays Kirby on switch online SNES and when they play the one where you can hit a button to summon a helper bud they call it Blueberry and while I was watching them play once it killed an enemy and I heard “why thank you blueberry.”

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

They should try to dump Soul Hackers 2 on switch. I have it but I really don’t want to be tethered to a PS4.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

It's the platonic ideal of 7/10

All the best games are 7/10

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Microsoft has an opportunity to bring Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey to the switch.

The doors open. I’ll pay $15 dollars for each.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

I assume people want to play it in English but I think the only case of them translating a Japanese version to English was Fire Emblem 1 and Fire Emblem 1 has less text in it overall than Mother 3 has in the first area.

They could just do what Nis did for the Crossbell trails games and hire the fan translators. In that case the game was fan translated, they just took their patch down and maybe made some tweaks for the new versions.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Just use Google to read it losers.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

hatty posted:

people should just play it on their PC in English for free like I did back in 2008 and stop holding out a candle for Nintendo to acknowledge the series

I remember around that time groups of fans mailing lovingly crafted collections of fan content to Nintendo just to let them play Earthbound officially on newer hardware and to get an official translation of that game.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The fact those Crossbell games came out in English means nothing is too niche.

Translate em all.

Edit: The switch versions of those games are excellent btw.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Gotta give credit to Shattered Soldier on the PS2, but that's around 20 years old at this point.

We already got a spiritual successor in Cuphead, I'm not waiting on Konami to make anything decent these days.

Neo Contra is fun.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I thought Snowrunner would run like rear end on switch but aside from the menu taking a few seconds to load it’s pretty good.

I did manage to make a really weird wall of mud by accident, but if anyone was wondering.

Mudrunner runs even better.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

eightysixed posted:

Is it any good though? the Nintendo Life Review didn't seem to like it very much.

It’s one of the best tactics games. The remakes improvements I felt were good and rebalanced some broken units. The game still has some stuff that’s weird to do through the menus with regards equipment but the game itself is excellent.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

open up its the video game police

I hear they’re playing project M and streaming it 2 doors down.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I told my wife she would like FE: Engage and she’s laughing at me.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

hatty posted:

Engage owns

I think the Somniel takes a little too long, but Jesus is it a great video game.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Picture: What Nintendo did to the Official Seal of Quality

lol… owned.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Chieves posted:

One strange thing I've noticed playing with zoomers is that they have a harder time navigating a 2D platformer more than 3D. And I'm talking about Mario World, not Celeste or anything. I'm sure it's because it's what they grew up with, but that's so alien a concept to me.

My kid prefers the 2D ones because the camera in 3D games is too hard. They can play Mario Wonder no problem, but us playing Minecraft together is way harder.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Trenchdeep posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for dungeon crawlers?

Looking for something more focused on combat and exploration over story, though having something there is a plus.

Labyrinth of Galleria is really good.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

These indies have had it good for too long. It’s time we knocked them down a Peggle or 2.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Good Citizen posted:

A note on this, if you already played labyrinth of refrain then the dungeons are almost exactly the same as that game with a new story molded around it, at least up to where I played. I was kind of annoyed it was almost the exact same game and gave up on it

Maybe I missed it but I played both and they didn’t seem the same to me? The first stratum is really similar looking.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Good Citizen posted:

Maybe I'm overstating it because it's been a while but I remember feeling like I knew exactly where hidden walls and such were in the sequel. Also maybe it diverges more later on and I just didn't get far enough.

I enjoyed refrain though and anyone looking for a first person dungeon crawler should consider getting one of the two games at least.

Yeah I can see that for the first chunk of the game. It introduces all the same dungeon traversal mechanics as Refrain at the same speed at the beginning which doesn’t help. Although you do get more tools than you had in Refrain at a decent clip.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

They also have Fire Emblem: Engage for $20 USD.

Also because I mistyped the first search they have a fire pit 50% off for $31 USD.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Mephesto Zieg posted:

I really like strategy games in theory but am terrible at them, I've purchased and attempted to play few of them but never get very far. I made it through about half of Mario Rabbids 1 and a few missions into the sequel and made it through the first few levels of Into the Breach. Any recommendations for something that will hold my hand a bit more until it clicks? Basically babies first strategy game?

I would try FE engage on Normal difficulty. You could also do 3 Houses with a caveat that you spend a lot less time just playing out SRPG maps.

Both on normal are pretty manageable for any skill level, although it might be a little touch and go the first few maps.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

All Super Famicom SMT games HD collection for 30 dollars shipped please. Thank you thread.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What's funny is when they do it based on distance from the player instead of distance from the camera so when you pull out the camera sometimes you'll get a giant object in the foreground moving at 15fps obscuring everything else.

I'm sure it's a graphical technique still used today but I love the shittier Mario in 64 they use when he's father from the camera because you literally couldn't see the detail most of the time in those days

My favorite one of these is in Fallout NV where you’ll see a rad scorpion just scoot past the horizon with almost no animation.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Starfox Assault on the DS I think it was called was okay too. It was like Warioware mixed with Starfox

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I don't mind Nintendo experimenting with IPs but Star Fox 64 is such a weird situation because as far as I'm concerned it was close to perfect and one of those few examples where you literally just want more/different content with no messing with the formula. They absolutely nailed the arcadey feeling with a given run taking around a couple hours, but tons of variation on possible routes and little NPC interactions between them as well as just enough variation with landmaster levels and blue marine without them being too different from the arwing. Perfect tone, perfect level of challenge and formula to make you want to replay it infinitely to get high scores and see everything.

A compulsion to try and do something different with every subsequent entry has just continually been its downfall. If you take Star Fox Zero and strip out the weird gamepad controls and lovely drone levels and have nothing but pure 64 style structure they would have pulled it off again. I do not know what it is specifically about Star Fox that seems to make them actively not want to go back to the well.

It could be Miyamoto’s fault. If you look at his recent credits it one of the few he actually directed.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

It’s been long enough that they probably go SF 64 remake.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Randalor posted:

Mrs Randalor wants to take up streaming as a hobby and mostly just plays Switch games. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good, cheap capture card she should get for a laptop, or a particular design of sketchy cheap Amazon capture card to look for that works decently well? I know she wants to participate in the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta this year, so ideally she'll have her stuff ready to go by June.

I think a lot of sketchy Amazon capture cards are all going to be produced at the same place. I had one for PS3 capture that was like 20 dollars and it sort of worked but idk that you could have ran a decent looking stream with it.

Use a stand and just film the tv with an iPhone.

Use the CRT mode on FF 5 pixel on the switch, possibly even hook it up to a lovely CRT using composite cables, shoot it in a fake wood panel lined basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Kevyn posted:

Galaxy itself is on Switch, included in Super Mario 3D All Stars along with Mario 64 and Sunshine. It only had a limited print run a few years ago so you’d probably have to hit up eBay to find a sealed copy.

I keep meaning to order a Japanese copy of this for my kid because they’re still at least reasonably priced.

Nintendo also localized the first FE and released it digitally on the switch around the same time and pulled it off for the same reason.