Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Well, amazon was selling the white OLED for retail but delivery after christmas so gently caress it I went for it.

Thinking BoW and Dread and maybe MH Rise after that, Mario Odyssey...any other suggestions?

SMT V for a RPG maybe? Any other good RPG recommendations?

Levitate fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I gotta say, BoW is a bit different but it's interesting they really seemed to go in for the exploring stuff angle rather than just constant combat or something. There's not a ton of monsters and all but I'm enjoying exploring and not feeling like I have to constantly fight. The weapon durability is a bit laughable though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I feel like Link's Awakening and BotW are so different that it's extremely personal preference as to which one is "better", to some extent.

Anyways I like how in Dread they drop a massive hint right off the bat (somewhat major spoilers) that the Adam that you talk to once you connect to the system on the planet is not the real Adam...it immediately calls you Samus and the real Adam always refers to her as Lady. Kind of fun to then assume Samus knew from the very beginning as well

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

poo poo wrong thread

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

EvilJoven posted:

I just bought a Switch OLED a week ago and I'm stoked about this news. Means 2 more years of my console being fine.

Also I just tried some of the emulated 8 and 16 bit era games and holy crap were games hard and bad back then.

mostly the controls sucked and the way enemies acted in side scrollers could be difficult to work around with the crappy controls, but once you figure it out then it all gets pretty easy

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Man I am impressed with how well Doom Eternal runs and looks on the switch oled
Sure it’s not a PC quality or higher powered console but I can kill demons on a handheld that’s awesome (all Doom stuff is on big sale right now…all of it)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

You also do t have to do the tedious bullshit quests

The white palace and path of pain are basically in there to be tedious with no real in game reward , you don’t have to do them

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

is the switch version of Chronocross any good? As in...done well and runs well not necessarily your opinions on if the game itself is good :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's kind of a low-effort warts-and-all port but it's fine.

yeah mostly just wondering if it's worth grabbing for $12 if I never played ChronoCross and there wont be any "wow it runs even worse on the switch for some reason" or "they made some really dumb change that sucks!"
I know the original version had its share of issues

Now I just wish someone would release Xenogears :argh:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yeah lot of it always seems low effort "just get it on another platform" which is unfortunate

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

just tell yourself youre enjoying the game in the same way as you would have when it was released :cheerdoge:

tbh that's mostly fine!

graphical updates of PS1 games are usually not that great to begin with

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

im weird enough that i honestly prefer the original resolution to upscaling too

I usually dont' care too much, like the original IOS remakes of the FF games that smoothed the sprites and all that. It's fine. In the end as long as it's not a blurry unrecognizable mess then that's fine with me, I know i'm playing an old rear end game and don't need to expect modern resolutions

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Can you play d2 and 3 casually without getting deep into farming for drops and all that bullshit

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah I don’t have time to get invested in the deep end game farming stuff but just dinking around to relive the days of my youth when D1 and 2!came out

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I played like the first couple minutes of octopath traveler 2 and it felt so painfully generic formulaic in plot beats and mediocre voice acting, what are the good parts of it that are worth playing for?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

beer gas canister posted:

Combat system is wicked good, map design is compact but rich with npcs, items and locations. It's hard to put a finger on precisely what makes it so much fun - its elements all gel into something special. The writing is a bit uneven and some of the characters are much more compelling than others. For me it ranges from tolerable to engaging, and offers justification enough for walking around gorgeous maps and making numbers go up. The best writing is hidden in NPC dialogue and certain Path skills that feed you little dossiers. There's a slice-of-life vibe to it that gradually reveals a lot about the world.

I'm a JRPG skeptic, mostly because they have historically been too slow and cumbersome to deal with. OT2 is highly streamlined, so basic stuff like leveling, traveling, equipment etc are quick to manage and understand. At the same time, there are a wealth of small systems running under the hood, like recruiting NPCs, capturing/butchering beasts, dueling punks to learn their skills, interrogating townsfolk under religious pretense, robbing everyone in town blind, and managing the day/night cycle to maximize buffs. Somehow these various systems are both easily legible and rich in their application, so there's a ton of actual gameplay to be had between plot chunks.

Best of all, many of those systems influence combat and the overworld simultaneously. For example, Ochette the hunter can capture and then process any creature into food. Food grants buffs, but also enables Ochette to share particular meals with NPCs, who become summonable in battles. If you bribe an NPC with food, they will follow your party around the map. Sometimes quests will require you to bribe someone with food (or something else, other characters gain followers in different ways), then bring them to a certain location.

Every character has 2 of these Path skills, one for day and the other for night. I have one party configuration for entering new towns - a thief, a dancer, and an apothecary (healer/poisoner), because they all have some means of acquiring items from townspeople, or uncovering hidden items and information through dialogue.

Thanks, I didn’t play very much and usually give games some time but Throne’s opening bit just felt stilted and weird (just picked a character to start at random). Will try turning the voices off too since I can’t really get on with that at least now
I’ll give it some time was just wondering what people end up liking about as they play

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

KingSlime posted:

I kind of didn't enjoy most of the chapter 1 stories and gameplay flow in octo 2, slow cutscenes and single main party member stuff is meh but yeah game gets great as soon as you get over that hump

So imo "when does this game get good" is surprisingly relevant in the context of this convo
I'd say maybe 5-8 hours in

Good thing the demo is capped at 3 hours! Hah
I’ll play around with it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DQXI’s bombastic and repetitive “overworld” music is a bit much but probably to some extent and people part of the charm

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I got Metroid Dread recently and I'd say the gameplay is definitely its strong point and everything after that just kind of facilitates the gameplay. The plot is even kind of clever all things considered (for a Metroid game). Thinking about why the different levels don't quite stand out on their own, I think maybe it's that they all have an EMMI zone which tend to feel same-ish, and they don't quite feel as self contained somehow as like Super Metroid. The art style, music, colors, etc, for the areas in Super were all very distinct, in Dread it tends to blend together a bit even though the areas can be pretty different (you've got your abandoned base area, water area, lush flora/fauna area, fire area, a polished looking futuristic area....)

As for being railroaded, I haven't really tried to do a ton of sequence breaking other than early bombs but I do feel like at least by mid game you can kinda just go around and look for stuff and try to check for new paths even when you know"go here next" is what's being asked. I think the capability to explore is there, your regular path is maybe just a bit sign posted (but not really it's usually just moving forward from the last boss or powerup and then you search for the hidden passages etc that let you progress)

I dunno, great game I think, but also yeah I'd grab it now while it's $20 off if it seems appealing since it hardly ever goes on sale. Again, I think the gameplay is the best of any Metroid game I can remember playing (but it's been forever since I played Fusion and I didn't play the 3DS ones).

e: I'm dithering on getting Disco Elysium for Switch as I already have it on Steam but I don't crack open my laptop for games at all any more and might actually play it on Switch...should probably just get it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I have and bounced off of it

Should try again though

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Is the Prince of Persia deluxe edition worth the extra $6 or is it just cosmetic stuff I don't need to care about

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

D3 played real well on switch and since I didn’t care about online play or min maxing stuff I could easily just smash through the whole game

Going from that to D2 was rough though and I dropped it quick at the time. Inventory is a pain I think but I might give it another go. Controlling combat might have been different enough from d3 that it wasn’t taking in my brain coming to it so soon after

D4 switch when

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

need to spend a voucher, how's cereza and the lost demon? It's probably that or kirby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mega64 posted:

Is the TTYD remake available for vouchers? Getting that and the Kirby game would be a solid deal...

Paper Mario TTYD is available for pre-oder in the voucher eligible games. I already got one of the voucher games (ToTK back when it came out), this is just needing to use the other before the voucher expires

I haven't played any of the paper mario games or the mario rpg remake. not sure if I'm feeling kirby...dunno, wanted something a little different than the mario/kirby stuff but I could be convinced.