Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Random encounters are good because I want dungeons to feel like dungeons and not amusement park rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Asterite34 posted:

It's not that they're avoidable, it's that you can anticipate them

except for the half of them that just jump out of a bush or whatever when you walk past, sure

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Random encounters but I can turn the encounters off if I want (or turn up the encounter rate if I want to grind) is the best system imo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

parasyte posted:

Have you ever played Final Fantasy Mystic Quest?

This game has an unexpectedly fire soundtrack which I was reminded of by theatrhythm lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0fkZCWtOfI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2upPEhhzTTw

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
give me random battles that also have a chance to activate while menuing

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like how Wild Arms 3 handles random encounters.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

seiferguy posted:

The extra dungeons added in the DS version has fixed encounters you're forced to go through are so bad. You have a walk to go through each time there and back (of which you have to do multiple times) and the encounters aren't even that hard, but don't give any good drops in terms of exp or items (or things to charm) which at least with the black omen you got these things. It's just awful unfun filler.

Except after the first time through Black Omen you don't need any of those things. Hell the game is easy enough you probably didn't need them the first time either. It's just as dumb and annoying. Either have actually avoidable encounters or have random ones.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I appreciate abilities to reduce / remove encounters as well as turn them up. In other words, FF7 does this best with enemy encounter materias, or the moogle charm or the diablos ability.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I played through the Trails in the Sky games recently and i'd take that system over random battles any day.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I started playing Tactics for the first time, and dear god do I ever see myself getting hooked on this. The combat is so much fun.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

TL posted:

I started playing Tactics for the first time, and dear god do I ever see myself getting hooked on this. The combat is so much fun.

If you like FFT combat you should check out the Twitch betting ring: https://twitch.tv/fftbattleground

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
random encounters are fine, and other systems are fine. its all fine actually its just about pure love of the game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Random encounters are badass frankly

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I also don't mind random battles. I think that every style of introducing battles has its strengths and weaknesses. Completely seeable and avoidable mobs can, for instance, create the problem of someone avoiding too many encounters and ending up underpowered.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I only dislike random battles when you literally can't go 4 or 5 steps without triggering one.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Are they truly random battles though... ? 🤔

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
I prefer the way most Tales games do encounters where the enemy encounters are on the map with you and move around in a general area, with some encounters that are almost unavoidable but most can be dodged, and where you can influence the aggro of the monsters with Holy/Dark bottles for if you want to avoid weak enemies when backtracking or to grind, but i think purely random encounters still have their place and can be used in interesting ways, as long as they also let you increase or decrease the encounter rate (or completely remove it)

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

slink_bot posted:

i think purely random encounters still have their place and can be used in interesting ways, as long as they also let you increase or decrease the encounter rate (or completely remove it)

wrong

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Remove random encounters, put in mandatory encounters

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I thought the topic had already moved past Chrono Trigger

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Runa posted:

I thought the topic had already moved past Chrono Trigger

Time travel plots can be confusing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This game has an unexpectedly fire soundtrack which I was reminded of by theatrhythm lol

Theathrhythm is great for reminding me of some killer tracks.

Spent yesterday trying to SSS some Octopath tracks and that game has such good music.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah just experience a videogame in the worst way possible

but I didn't suggest actually playing IX?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Remove all battles from RPGs. Why is everyone so violent, let's all be friends and chill.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No battles and we still aren't friends or chilling.

I do sometimes dream about if FF was Disco Elysium.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Remove all battles from RPGs. Why is everyone so violent, let's all be friends and chill.
You're describing a D&D game run by someone who's only ever played Mass Effect and watched later seasons of Critical Role.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ff16 balance patch is out now with some buffs to less used abilities. Hoping someone tests the new damage numbers because I dont have time for that.

Rising Tide comes out tomorrow.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I only dislike random battles when you literally can't go 4 or 5 steps without triggering one.

loving Mi'hen Highroad

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Didn't FFXIII have something like Chrono Trigger's encounter system? You can clearly see the enemies on the field which will enter you into a battle once they run into you.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ragequit posted:

Octopath Traveler 2 is so drat good, sped up or not

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Frionnel posted:

loving Mi'hen Highroad

I haven’t played X in over a decade and I got chills just thinking of this.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Didn't FFXIII have something like Chrono Trigger's encounter system? You can clearly see the enemies on the field which will enter you into a battle once they run into you.

Pretty much, the only difference is you transition to a battle area when fighting in 13, while battles in CT take place right on the map.

Otherwise, they both do have enemy encounters show up in the overworld.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
You should just play ff9 btw. It's a good game even with slower battles. You're posting on SA you've for time to spare, it's not the end of the world.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

The most powerful protagonist is Benjamin fight me :colbert:

parasyte posted:

Have you ever played Final Fantasy Mystic Quest?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is the best Final Fantasy.

TL posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is the best Final Fantasy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This was my favorite boss theme of all time when I was a kid

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mega64 posted:

Pretty much, the only difference is you transition to a battle area when fighting in 13, while battles in CT take place right on the map.

Otherwise, they both do have enemy encounters show up in the overworld.

So it's more Grandia's encounter system than Chrono Trigger's.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Frionnel posted:

loving Mi'hen Highroad

do different areas actually have different random encounter rates in FFX or is it just that they feel more annoying on Mi'ihen

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Random encounters are good because I want dungeons to feel like dungeons and not amusement park rides.
Tag. It.

Chillgamesh posted:

Random encounters but I can turn the encounters off if I want (or turn up the encounter rate if I want to grind) is the best system imo.
Wild Arms 5 had this when you completed a dungeon and opted to turn off all encounters for later.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Kheldarn posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is the best Final Fantasy.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

do different areas actually have different random encounter rates in FFX or is it just that they feel more annoying on Mi'ihen

My guess is that it's the same as everywhere else but feels worse because you can see your end goal all the way. Mount Gagazet and Mushroom Rock Road are also horrible but there are more area transitions and the camera moves around, so it doesn't feel as long.

IMO FFX is second only to the NES games in encounter rates, it feels much worse than the SNES and PSX ones.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 17, 2024