Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pigbuster posted:

OST rankings is the real challenge. Just about every game delivers in that regard - even FF15, a game that's usually ranked on the lower end as a game, is profoundly good in the music area. FF13 is the only clear loser to me because it has the only final boss theme I don't like, but I'm admittedly unfamiliar with its soundtrack as a whole so I wouldn't know if its got any gems.

If we're doing music then Theatrhythm is easily the best Final Fantasy.

And, I mean, it probably is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Woolsey translation for FF6 is definitely flawed and inaccurate (and I'm sure Woolsey would be the first to agree on that!) but drat did he have some banger lines.

I'm glad we have multiple translations of all the early games now so we can choose our favorite parts of certain translations and insert them into the most accurate translations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

an actual dog posted:

The important thing to understand about Final Fantasy games is that they're not really RPGs, they're action games.

Well yeah, that's why most games have an "active" battle system!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's a whole album just of official Big Bridge iterations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I will always talk about Edge.

Edge can exploit the back row glitch easily to do full damage, and honestly he's not half bad if you luck into a Giant Glove. He's probably better in versions where the ATB isn't hosed sideways since speed is powerful in FF4. That's part of why he's the best character in TAY, since he's the second-fastest character in the game and has actual power and utility in that version.

Fun Fact: The localizer for FF4 also did an unreleased localization for FF2. In that one, Ricard was renamed Edward, so I think she just had a thing for the name Edward. Gilbert needed a rename anyway since his name was too long, though a shame that gets rid of the "gil" pun that the sequel got mileage out of (Edward starting out rich, his secretary having Gil Toss, his bonus dungeon revolving around getting and spending money).

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Chrono/Earthbound is what nerds use to try and big up their weeb credentials

Or maybe they're just great games that stand out from other JRPGs of the era for a variety of good reasons. poo poo, many RPGs could still stand to learn some things from Chrono Trigger, that game basically nails its pacing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Chrono Trigger's biggest strength is its relative lack of weaknesses. Many games do a lot of things much better than CT, including quite a few Final Fantasy games, but CT does everything pretty well. The combat system doesn't have much depth, but it has enough meat going for it to keep the breezy narrative going. The cast have just enough character development to be memorable, even if they're mostly tropes. It has a killer presentation, of course, and it avoids the usual time travel trap of getting too much into time travel mechanics for the sake of simplicity. It's not going to compare to FF9's world building, but it also doesn't have glacially slow battles. The story doesn't have the emotional beats of FF10's, but it's also easy to breeze through story sections when replaying. It doesn't have the mechanical depth of FF5, but it makes up for it with a more dynamic story with more cool things happening.

CT is a great JRPG for beginners just because it lacks many of the flaws of the genre that may turn people off, like constant random battles, a meandering story, dull characters, and so on. It's just a solid overall package that is at least good at everything it does.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope we get to fight classic enemies like Karl Boss and Y Burns.

I plan to try to mod in the PS1 names in hopefully tomorrow after release. We'll see how it goes!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

First thing I did after buying and downloading 5PR is extract the files and painstakingly replace the enemy names with their PS1 counterparts.

I'll release it once I test it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

PS1 names for enemies in FF5PR! Read the readme.txt, also you probably want the updated UnityPlayer.dll too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As soon as I got home and bought the game I literally spent an hour changing the names before I started actually playing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Augus posted:

four white mages

It'll never work.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's probably a lot more complicated to do than the simpler Sprite and UI replacements being done, even discounting the animation effects.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's using gameplay to teach you that Stealing is Wrong

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF5 axes also have the perk of quartering defense, so they can handle high-defense enemies more easily than other physical jobs even with the inaccuracy and high damage range.

It also helps that the Death Sickle is a rare drop in mid-W1, which both outclasses any axe until W3 and is also the most convenient access to Instant Death you get for awhile (and a lot of bosses are surprisingly vulnerable to that!). Then there's the Rune Axe, which is nasty when paired with a magic stat boost to the point that it's easily a top five weapon in the game, in my opinion the best after the Chicken Knife.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

On the other hand you can get two of them now with quicksave abuse unless they've patched that out already.

https://twitter.com/konarofu2/status/1458970843740995588

Mega64
May 23, 2008

While you're all arguing about swords and poo poo I'm over here taking a lot of drugs and making out with a tree.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Bugenhagen: "Dude he spends like half his time brooding, you really thought he was an adult? :lol::lol:"

But enough about Vincent.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

But who the gently caress was responsible for this?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8

A god damned genius.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also Twin's first form has a chance of throwing nasty counters, so it's best to just wait in the first form and stay healed until the "Charging for Mega Flare!" prompt comes up, then kill Twin with your instant death option of choice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I just wanna know what this pose is

Ashe is supposed to be the fiery, determined, revenge-crazed leader of the Resistance. Nothing about her outfit or this weird-rear end pose communicates any of that

She's deciding whether to flay your skeleton out of your body while you're still alive or if she'll simply burn your skin off and see how long you'll stay conscious.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You just know Uematsu's entire career up to that point was a build up to make Eternity. Guy wears his prog influences on his sleeve.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Barudak posted:

Eternity is not the problem with Blue Dragon, its a song for a much better game.

I was just thinking how awesome it'd be if you replaced the boss music for the PR games with Eternity.

Luckily that's possible!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I once got L3 Flare at Barrier Tower by having a Beastmaster Release an enemy with Reflect onto an ally with a Reflect Ring, thus bouncing the Reflect onto the Red Dragon and thus letting me bounce the L3 Flare onto the party.

It took a lot of time and effort and in the end it did less damage to Exdeath than bouncing Aeroga off my Reflected party, so it's definitely not worth it and it's much better just to wait until W3 to get it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Celes was able to conquer an entire town and all, she seems pretty competent as a general to me.

Of course she's also a sheltered teenager so she has no idea on how to handle crushing on Locke.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just cast Reflect and bounce the Bahamut ship's attacks back at it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

Let me in. LET ME IIIIIIIINNNNNN I WANT TO TREASURE EVERY MOMENT, EVERY STEP OF MY DESCENT AAAAAAAAAAAAA

no

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pay to get rid of characters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I want an FFVIII thread

Then make one, ain't no rule against it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I just use GOG Galaxy as my front-end of choice since it implements multiple storefronts. Alternatively, add your EGS games manually to Steam.

Loyalty to storefronts is as dumb as loyalty to specific brands of consoles.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cloud's date with Barret.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

R2 changes Sephiroth's meltdown from being over being the "son" of Jenova to instead finding out he's going bald.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I can't believe the remake is really going the "Name everyone Sephiroth" route.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

is she gonna be tiamat? i mean, its obvious where this is going, then again. bullshit. so who knows. day 1 tho.

They were kinda blindsided that the internet figured out that Jack is Garland, so I'm guessing they're not gonna try very hard to hide this twist either.

Anyway I'm glad Jack finally has a friend he can hate Chaos with together.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1470816104117420043?s=20

I hope they make this canon along with Mobius and Dissidia and make the FF1 EU even more batshit insane than the FF7 one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

It was something like all the guys had this angry at everything look with their eyebrows and the girls didn't have the raised eyebrows. The mobile port that was godawful to look at, not the PR mobile version.

That was the Matrix style, Dimensions and FF5 had the same deal. That one thing annoyed me more than anything else about the ports.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Vagrant story is the only ivalice game worth a drat and the only one with a narrative that doesn't poo poo its pants after the opening.

It's a bad setting and I'm glad it withers into a mudhole.

Sto making games in it, start the greater spira expanded universe. Give me a High Spira era game set before the war between Zanarkand and Bevelle.

There's already a Spira EU, it's called the FF7 EU.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Everything is pyreflies. Including everything in FF7.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gonna edit in ahageo weeb grunts into the PR games.

How is this over an hour long

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Vanille's sounds stick out to me more than anything since they're exaggerated and don't sound as natural as grunts or whatever. They sound forced to make her seem more whimsical or whatever, which granted could be intentional due to the whole idea of her hiding her Australian Pulse accent and all. It's still annoying, and it's not like there's no other issues with 13's voice direction.

Definitely not talking poo poo about the voice actress, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF7R is good because there's as many sexy male grunts as there are sexy female grunts.

Horny grunting for everyone!