Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Two questions following that trailer;

1) Hows SOP on steam deck

2) I remember reading the dlc, i think, had some sort of stupid bullshit on it in terms of deaths locking content off or something like that, is that gone or, failing that, able to be mitigated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On a more serious note, you can't go wrong with Beacause (sic), which cleans up the translation significantly.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 21, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm planting my flag in the idea that Aerith is going to survive the City of the Ancients, but the cost of her actually living this time is going to be so high you'll wish she hadn't.

This but I want (FF7)the whole "Arieth becoming a poor-me wief who has to die because raisins abloo abloo abloo" thing to be taken out back and shot. That her being alive is not some grand affront to causality like how the wraiths seem to paint it and its OK for her to be alive.

Cause, gently caress it. We gonna take this story off the rails? Lets get nuts and see where it goes.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I just want the story to afirm that no, Areith's worth isn't exclusively tied to her breathing or lacktherof

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
8 would be great if it got out of its own way for five minutes and wasn't a half-baked SaGa game the rest of the time.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly even with the codex it's a bunch of poorly written gobbledegook.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mean Baby posted:

In FF13 if you aren’t constantly switching paradigms, you aren’t playing the game as the devs intended.

Really, if you're having fun then you're not playing that pos the way the devs intended.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No it's a couple of catholics trying to use catholic guilt to make an Omnicide god.

Also, it should be noted, them shirking the responsibility of the actual guilt they should be feeling for the war started by their side that has raged under a toxic combination of false pretences and an enemy who has all the time in the world to just sit and watch his opponents hate-gently caress themselves to entrallment under him, death and/or fighting him and his horde for time immamorial.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Procrastine posted:

Mystic Quest is a game where you have two party members and loves making you fight three enemies at once that have paralysis or instant death attacks.

Other than that it's not very interesting in either gameplay or story imo but the music is nice I guess

It's very much a game where it's music and historic context vastly outweigh its gameplay.

Though if the XIV crew wanted to make a Raid Series based on it I wouldn't say no on the music side of things alone.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

Can't believe that not a single one of you dorks took the chance to answer "who is the most villainous FF party member" with "Marche :smug:"

Honestly as time goes on, I view his crap as just roundly pathetic.

He was right but so are those kids that remind the teacher about pop quizzes on french dictiction.

Snowballs with stones in them for the little poo poo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

you know, it's not often I get hit with a final fantasy thing that I had literally zero idea existed, you should be proud

Lost Stranger is decisively OK, I'd nether run away or towards it, but a lot of it is 'clap at various FF References'.

It's Cid (who is a Mi'Qote like individual, a running gag involves our Kirito mistaking the various races for their XIV counterparts) for example uses a Magun from Unlimited.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

The old CEO is this fella right? Or was that whole thing unrelated to NFTs

OH! I caught my WOL's reaction to the OG version of this and it works right here!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The cannon WOL name is what I'm using for my proper account but I was halfway considering something like Trebdra Veertien for a prospective Meteor Survivor (Can only use classes used in the opening FMV) run.

This is because I'm as much a DQ mark as I am a FF one.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Not until you finish 2.5.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's something that needs work but I think something like Encounter-Based RPGs, EcRPGs? is about right.

Course its not a universal consideration but it feels like the main focus of the gameplay loop is the (battle) encounters.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm still waiting on seeing how the steam version shakes out on the 'Deck but everything suggests a good time.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

But when will we get the game about how revenge IS the answer?

Depending on how much (FFXIV Heavensward MSQ) Haurchefant getting got did for you, you can argue punching the elf pope in the face so hard his death-hallucinations are about you being satan was pretty rad.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 27, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

mycot posted:

One of the funniest parts of FF14 is that Estinien's downfall is not due to his obsession with revenge or his dragon racism, it's because of picking something up without thinking

Related, it seems that biggest L's the WOL / Scions takes is when they don't deal with hazardous materials. (2.5) Uldah's lovely plutocratic politicians, (3.5)The Eyes of Nidhogg, twice.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That does feel like the series sometimes;

Sometimes it's incredibly, if not overly, friendly and will trip over itself to have you enjoy it.
And others it's a rachet old bastard that will smack you upside the head if it sees so much as a twitch your line-straight face.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Battle Music does stick as if it was a Smash Melee beta track that didn't quite make the cut.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I would like to add "Expects you to use adventure game "use string on camel" logic to get what it wants you to do re:stagger"

Ether make it a stright element/attack type affinity or get it out of my face.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mega64 posted:

The problem is 100%ing FF9 requires playing far more Tetra Master than any reasonable human being should be expected.

Which is to say "any".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I'm more thinking of it from the perspective that Yuna is Important and everyone already knows because she's a summoner.

I was under the impression being a summoner / Funeral Priest (I forget if the two are one and the same in X's world) was just A Job and the only thing that made Yuna particularly special (minus the menagerie that was her party) was that she was the Daughter of the man who completed the pilgrimage before.

No less destiny than someone in a craft having a child with similar intrests.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
14; You're basically Solid Snake minus the whole Clone problem he has.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm going to be real, I could deal with less Bear-Arses quests and more Like A Dragon style side stories.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

The cartridges for the Gunbreaker class are called 'soils' in JP, like the bullets for the gun in Unlimited.

poo poo, really?

So much for my idea of a gun based class that used the soil bullets like MNK, DNC or NIN.

Also, man did Square write so many cheques they couldn't cash with their multimedia the 00's.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You'd think that sort of thing would have been tested fairly early on, given.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Steiner is just a squat Zenigata.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hey, on the subject of psone rpgs, ansolutely give Breath of Fire IV a swing. It feels like a dreamcast game on the psx.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Televisio Frankus posted:

It's Earith, the debug menu would never lie to me.

Wait, you're talkin' about Alice, good friend (possibly love kntrest of) Claude, right?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And then it had to go through the memory limitations of Pre DVD era translations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think a retranslation wouldn't go amiss, at the very least.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It has been really strange seeing certain outlets just, really really intent on smearing ff16 and yoship in particular as this racist, and I guess now ableist, monster.

Is it? The journo cycle is just various levels of "Bitch's eating crackers!" from Front Page to Sports Pages.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

This game is very cute, but also intense at the same time. The balance is perfect. Also love the black chocobo that can fly cutscene. Its so funny.

It's a travesty that V isn't as well remembered as, say, VI or IV largely on the count that some idiot at Square thought we were too stupid for it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

mystic quest knew what it wanted to be and it succeeded at that 100%. people wanting it to be something else is on them

Being fair those people wanted, erroneously, for it to be FFV.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Mystic Quest has the same problem Secret of Evermore has in that it was erroneously misattributed to the denial of a better work (FF V and Trails of Mana) where Square were pretty content to poo poo into their hands when it came to those two games on their own terms.

The main difference was Mystic Quest was unfairly made a Black-Sheep for the imagined crime of stopping FFV-as-FFIII whilst Secret of Evermore was undeservedly elevated to anything other than the complete mistake it was in regards to Trails.

Which is to say, give Mystic Quest a try and if you find a copy of Evermore in the wild, buy it and film its destruction as contribution to the Anti shaq-fu project.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 29, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I would argue if they have any problems with X it's in it's follow on material and mostly the post x2 stuff with the whole football that was actually a bomb and making Sin a thing again because reasons beyond the kin of mortals thing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Like 3 and 4 only not screwed with difficulty wise?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Alternatively; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kmIxE56mjA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just know that you will be quickly progression blocked with SAM as its based in Stormblood and its region.

As far as I remember, you can do RDM up to lv60 (HW level cap) np as all the quests take place in Eorzea and Limsa in particular.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 7, 2023