Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I have a FFXIV spoiler: it's the best Final Fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barudak posted:

Jack's Dphone had goddamn better have nu-metal, rap rock, and butt rock covers of FF1 music

The game's first DLC will be a storage expansion for Jack's phone and various FF OSTs.

Jack: I'm going... to kill Chaos
*taps phone, FFMQ boss music begins playing*

Sakurazuka posted:

No because the original translation might have a couple of cool sounding lines but it's also a bad transition that barely makes any sense half of the time.

Whereas WotL sounded like the local community theater club trying way too hard to ape Shakespeare.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Still better than a translation that's straight up wrong and bad

I will take L i t t l e M o n e y and occasional jank if it means getting the one-liners like Animals have no God instead of babbys first theatre performance.

Chillgamesh posted:

i hated this immediately but the more i thought about it the more i realized this would be an amazing sequel hook for a game that will never be made

And now I hate it even more.

That we got the FFTA games instead of FFT2 and FFT3 is a crime.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I cannot wait to hear the PR versions of Fierce Battle and Dancing Mad. :dance:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Leal posted:

I mean, this game DOES have a class with a gun and a motorcycle!

E: I thought this was the FF14 thread

It is a FF14 thread. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Like the character designs of Goku, Bulma, Arale, and Launch.

Real rude leaving Piccolo (and Garlic jr) off the list like that.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Chrono/Earthbound is what nerds use to try and big up their weeb credentials

Look at these posers who've never played Mystic Ark. :smuggo:
That you can go back and get more black iron in the first world to use to make a strong weapon later in the game is some real bullshit though because I don't think any NPCs or the game itself suggests you can get more after turning in the plot-required piece.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Secret of Mana came out well before both

Was SoM unfinished? I thought its issue was they had to cut content because of storage limitations on the SNES cartridges since they were originally designing it for a SNES CD add-on or something to that effect.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Complete_Cynic posted:

It looks like a retranslation again - the line from Greg ("I made an error in judgment!") in the Steam Screenshots doesn't match GBA or PS1.

I hope we get to fight classic enemies like Karl Boss and Y Burns.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

Part of feels a bit still being this hyped about a game you can easily find some :filez: for. But I also hope if these remasters do well Square will MAYBE put some more effort in future retro rereleases and not uhhh... Whatever the gently caress they were doing there.

Square Enix announces FF7:PR will be sold as NFTs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Coffee Jones posted:

A few years later you have comparatively unlimited storage, an ambitious team and suddenly it’s funding that’s the true bottleneck - it’s the Xenogears disc 2 situation

Or Dragon Quest 7 where funding isn't an issue and your game just ends up being insanely long.

multijoe posted:

FF16 is also going for an FF14/Ivalice vibe so Creative Business Unit 3 is carrying that Matsuno torch onwards

Triangle Strategy's demo had noticeable "we love Tactics Ogre" vibes as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If I were to do a second stab at 5's job-system there would be no Freelancer class, and you'd equip a main job and sub-job to get both abilities. You'd be incentivised to switch jobs as you would cross-class bonuses for leveling them up.

So you want the Final Fantasy Tactics or maybe Bravely Default job systems?

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno that I can agree with the idea of no freelancer - I feel like there's value in saying "okay, now the shackles are off, tear the game asunder" at some point.

That said, what you describe is largely how the Bravely series works, which was awesome. Swordmaster/Berserker :getin:

Bravely's Freelancer/default job gets boosts from mastered jobs like FF5 and becomes murderously powerful as a result.

Has anyone beaten Gogo outside of the intended way?

Yes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hogama posted:

in retrospect as remarkably bold a departure from the rest of the series as it was, the commercial failure of ff6 pixel remaster can probably be attributed to the crunkcore, noise, and glitch hop-inspired soundtrack

FF6 PR's Dancing Mad remake is going to own bones.

FF5 is definitely stingier than the other games. You don't level up fast, you don't make money easily, and you don't learn new moves quickly barring auto-battle. It can siort of feel like you hit a wall in the second world.

Enemies are way more aggressive and puzzle-like and your own HP goes down quick.

When I went to learn aero in the wind shrine 3 party members got killed from full hp by 90 damage casts from the moldwynds. Bastards. :argh:

Then Siren focused on Galuf and only Galuf, who was a thief and therefore died very quickly during Undead Time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

and always target the Blue Mage if available

Beastmasters already exist.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

There was this super-detailed fake FF6 guide out there that had detailed recruitment methods, skills and backstories for several Mega Man X characters, among others

FF6PR's moddability can turn that fake guide into reality.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I wonder if rods will work properly in FF6PR. They seem to work fine (or better) in FF5PR but pretty much every item in FF4PR was completely worthless to use in combat. Dancing Dagger did about 30-40 damage, the Stardust rod did less than 100...etc.

cirus posted:

Can't wait for someone to mod in some of those ridiculously complicated internet rumors and revive General Leo.

The golden leaves one was the best/worst because two pieces of 'evidence' for it were the flickering thing in the underground castle's one tower (which is actually a fan like you see in Figaro, with a small part visible and causing the flicker) and another is that the grate behind the petrified queen is slightly discolored, and what you needed to use the TNT on to reach the golden leaves you saw in that tower.

Tae posted:

It's so bad and grindy, and add in matsuno's fetish to punish you for trying to raise late game new characters

The only late game character that really applies to is Reis, with Cloud excluded because SOLDIER outright sucks and grinding doesn't really change that. TG Cid is an OP murderbeast the second you get him. Beowulf ruins enemies with status effects almost as much as Haborym and Deneb did in the original Tactics Ogre, Worker 8 can punch poo poo dead or laser beam them from 8 tiles away. I forget if Byblos is good but they're a monster so probably not.

JP UP was definitely too much of a 'must have' and needed to just be the base JP gain rate.

Barudak posted:

And if you get certain classes, like samurai, you can beat absolutely anything the game throws at you with zero thought required.

I'd still not recommend a 4JF for a first playthrough.

I'd suggest a modified 4JF style run of FF5 for first timers:

Pick a couple of jobs you want to focus on and just swap to others when you occasionally need them. Like thief to steal something or Blue Mage to get Learning so that you can at least grab blue magic as you run through fights (though blue mage is really good even right off the bat) since blue magic is awesome.

What other game has ff2's gently caress-you dungeon design.

Silversword on iOS is a Bard's Tale 3 clone that includes dungeon gimmicks such as forced dark areas that spin you every time you move or look at your map and continually deal damage to your party.

FF2 has nothing on Silversword's bullshit dungeon design.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

That's just how FF4 worked in general.

Dancing dagger actually had some usefulness in FF4 on the SNES, as did stuff like the ice rod. In FF4PR they are 100% worthless at all times. The dancing dagger's special effect can and generally does hit for less damage than a normal attack. I like the PR games but they have a lot of bugs and jank that needs to get fixed.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Is Disgaea grinding really that grindy? Other than maxing items you can get to the level cap in minutes.

It takes time to get to the "press button receive max level" point of post game.

Nemo2342 posted:

Dragon Quest 1 (only the NES version though) is always my first thought when it comes to something being grindy, since most of the game is grinding outside of town to afford most of the best gear before moving on to the next town/exploring the dungeon. And of course having a last boss that has a hard minimum level you need to be at in order to have a chance at winning, and the level is probably not something you hit even with all the previous grinding.

You absolutely, 100% do not need to do this to progress in Dragon Quest 1 (even excluding any sort of cheese strat you might pull off to get Erdrick's armor 'early'). Though you will need to hit a certain amount of atk/def/hp/mp to be able to beat the final boss.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

derra posted:

There is a ice rod found in town that BLM (and BLU) can and should use to use to end Garula.

If you need the ice rod to beat Garula with 4 Blue Mages you've hosed up somewhere. Even if you aren't at a level to decimate them with goblin punch you shouldn't have much issues with your damage from he back row. I think Flash works on Garula as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Same here, they're not even in the same category, FF12 is so much better.

:mods:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

Hmm, kind of interesting that this hasn't been added to the OP yet...

:raise:

The OP isn't going to host such blatant lies.

Barudak posted:

Really? I had a pretty fun time with it until 2.0 launched

Yes yes we get it, your gimmick is you only play terrible games and say that good games are bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

jokes posted:

I guess I mean to say that protect and shell are extremely important unless you’re at or above the right level or Know Your poo poo. They’re more of a training wheel. You can spend 8 turns getting protect and shell on people which basically gives you a 1.5x multiplier on your effective HP.

Those cut damage taken by 50%, it's a 2x multiplier on HP. :eng101:

And yeah, Mighty Guard is The Best Spell. Blue magic is just fantastic in FF5 really.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

jokes posted:

Nothing is as powerful as a group of 4 Blue Mages with mastered white magic all transfusing/raising each other for infinite MP, Mighty Guarding, and aquabreathing everything.

:hmmyes:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Brave Blade should do a fixed 9999 damage if you've never run from fights and maybe then it'd be worth considering.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Leal posted:

Finally, SE is remaking one of their good games

SaGa Frontier's Remaster has been out for months.

I guess it's only fair that they balance out good remasters with garbage like Crono Cross.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If anyone wants a good followup to Chrono Trigger just go download Another Eden instead of playing Chrono Cross.

CC is a bad game and while I get that nostalgia is a hell of a drug, if they're going to remaster a Chrono game then do a Pixel Remaster of Chrono Trigger. You know, the game people actually like.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Shabadu posted:

I wonder if mode 7 overworld for chocobo/airship in 6 PR is going to be changed significantly?

They’ll probably tilt the camera more than they do for airships and call it a day.

Blue Labrador posted:

The Gogo dungeon from FF6 is some absolutely absurd poo poo and deserves all the love sent its way. I'm sure it's happened, but I refuse to believe anyone discovered its location organically. I think every good RPG should have cryptic horseshit like that.

I did. When one of yet party members was eaten I decided to see what’s happen if it ate my entire party.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

What game feels most like an FF title with the trademark removed?

Lost Odyssey.

Professor Beetus posted:

Lost Odyssey was one of the better late period FF games imo. I wouldn't put it above 12 but absolutely slots in somewhere before 13 and 15.

Lost Odyssey is far and away better than ffxii was.

Blue Dragon Quest is fun but it doesn’t feel anything like a FF game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fixing a 360 is worth it because you can still play harmony of despair with friends if you all have game pass or whatever THAT is a game that needs a rerelease on modern consoles and pc.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

On the GBA version quicksaves would reset the step counter before a fight, so you could just walk a few steps, save/load, then walk a few more to get an early Elven Mantle with zero risk.

If you don't care about the brave blade it's not too bad to run through there with 4 thieves and !Flee.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

This thread is acting like you all don’t have Jackanapes wandering your basements. Who protects your ancestral treasures if you don’t have Jackanapes?

Considering what the crawlspace under my house looked like the last time I had to check something, Shelob or Ungoliant.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

Her non-death means Holy is never successfully cast and the lifestream isn't enough to stop the destruction of the planet :v:

Whenever they finish the remakes in 2085 I fully expect that to be the ending. "You made things 'better' but everything you fought against had to happen to prevent a bigger tragedy so now you need to stop yourselves and restore the timeline."

pretty soft girl posted:

poo poo, they killed the main antagonist like, 20 minutes into the campaign. Gonna have to come up with some insane time travel plot to make this work now.

Garland wasn't even the main antagonist in FF1, he was just a roadblock to the Light Warriors continuing on their actual quest of restoring light to the four orbs. When the four light warriors encounter him in the past their reaction is probably "oh right you're that guy we killed immediately after starting our quest. So you're actually some time-traveling super demon now? Yeah sure ok whatever we'll just kill you again."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

FF6 PR using 2D HD for the Opera scene is such a goddam tease.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ethiser posted:

If Stranger of Paradise leads to me getting a FFIII Warriors of Dark prequel I’m here for it.

FFXIV Shadowbringers is the prequel.

zenguitarman posted:

FFs being set in some post-golden age apocalypse are actually super cool.

It is literally the most common trope in Fantasy settings.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dennis McClaren posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099Q4HJZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just bought this. Problem solved. All 3 on there, and playable. And I can load other FF games on there with EmuElec.

An HDMI cable and wireless gamepad for your PC would've been cheaper and honestly having your PC hooked up to your TV is just great in general if you aren't somehow prevented from running an extra HDMI cable between them.

Barudak posted:

Please make Tactics more like Tactics Advance

A post so wrong only Barudak could've made it.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That team is not very good at names.

All dev teams use project names. This team just... uses those same names for the finished product because the goofy name clearly didn't hurt Octopath and its several million units sold when they likely expected/hoped for a couple hundred thousand units to sell.

Astrochicken posted:

HOLY poo poo i don't know how I never realized that. Incredible.

Olan also makes it clear he idolizes his father-in-law and Orlandu just happens to be a force of nature on the battlefield too, and he "really" didn't get executed in disgrace but wa sallowed to flee in secret and help save the world.

Olan's an unreliable narrator and while his story of "Delita's a monster not a hero" is likely true, he definitely took some liberties with the telling.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Well, somebody gotta pay the bills for that eventually too..?

Discord collects user data and sells it (in addition to Nitro and whatever else they sell directly to users).

Harrow posted:

SaGa Frontier Remastered coming out last year was a great nostalgia trip because many of the best resources for that game are still on GameFAQs. It was a lot of fun to dive back in to a bunch of 20+ year old GameFAQs guides for terribly-written but extremely comprehensive guides on things like monster skill inheritance.

Stuff like certain skills having HP requirements and the skill combos necessary for specific forms would take an eternity to figure out on your own, if ever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Harrow posted:

Even with an extremely detailed guide I struggled to really understand it. I managed to get a couple strong monsters in my Riki playthrough (and also Kylin) but all the other monsters I used I hosed up wildly.

The real issue is that monsters are basically not worth the effort. By the time you get Riki, Thunder, or some other monster changed to a black dragon or even a kraken you can have lifesprinkler on Gen and DSC on people like Liza and Fuse, Rouge/Blue spelled up and nuking fights, etc, and the monster won't keep up. Maybe they can provide a support role but eh.

Harrow posted:

The official strategy guide for FF6 (back in the "FF3" days) insisted that your party should be around level 30 for the Floating Continent. I used to grind up to that level there because I was sure Atma Weapon would stomp me if I didn't.

These days I know it's not particularly hard to beat the whole game with a party that's like level 35 or so and there's no reason to be anywhere near that for the Floating Continent.

I used to save after Whelk, grind Terra to 13-14 in the mountains, die to Vargas, and then play from the save point without worrying about XP ever again but low level runs are just more interesting. Especially if you decide to break the game with esper stat games later on. Particularly +speed via Raiden since even an extra 10 speed is huge.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bounding shot gets stupidly, stupidly powerful with high stats too. I think it might be more consistent high dps than DSC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nothing. It was more a dig at the dev's overestimating how good they are at making games. Instead of iterating and improving on their past work, it feels like they are starting from scratch each time and repeating stupid design choices again and again. It's puzzling and frustrating. See also: platinum games and their love for lovely minigames thrown in.

Xenoblade Chronicles kicked rear end and was probably the best RPG of that generation of consoles. They didn't overestimate anything until they tried to make XCX an MMO with a billion different mechanics and subsystems.

If Nintendo hadn't taken a bunch of their devs to help finish BOTW I'm imagine XC2 would've been in a much smoother state at launch. I can't really fault them for suddenly losing resources they had planned around having when losing said resources was outside of their control. We'll see how XC3 turns out when it releases.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Leal posted:

It may be the best but apparently isn't worth finishing an LP over :thunk:

Can't finish an LP if the game itself isn't finished. :eng101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Plenty of time to play it before I must KILL CHAOS in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Turks have committed unforgivable atrocities for Shinra. Anyone who thinks they should be allowed to live is wrong. The end. :colbert: