Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
i personally respect delita for his fighting ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah I've gotten decision-paralysis multiple times so far. I almost wish you got 3 slots: your current job's ability, a 2nd ability, and a passive. Or that mastered passives applied to you on every job, not just Freelancer/Mime.

I have been thinking about this kind of thing for a while now and depending on how mod support evolves for the PRs I may take a run at it eventually.

What I think would be cool would be to have two slots available for use on a basic class, but with different abilities either taking up one slot or two slots. So like with Ranger, Aim and Animals could both use one slot and therefore be used on another job at the same time, while Rapid Fire would use both available slots because of how powerful it is. I think doing it that way might prevent breaking things a bit too much while still opening the door for previously impossible combos while providing incentives for rarely used abilities.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

If you want, caves of narshe has a really good guide written by Djibriel.

I remember that guy from back in the day. Extremely knowledgeable, made a lot of the guides for certain mechanics and such.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

jokes posted:

You should play Bravely Default/Bravely Second

ngl being able to turn off random encounters in each dungeon and just grind a little bit next to a save point was perfect for me and really elevated Bravely Second. The actual mechanisms for grinding by winning several battles in a row is a lot of fun.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Ran into the MP bug that occurs in FF5 when you add a magic command to a job that doesn't have as much MP. Specifically when I put Blue onto a Knight, they were stuck with their mediocre MP total until they leveled up, at which point the MP was recalculated and they got the Blue Mage's much higher total. Kind of a pain with Blue in particular since it's often necessary to throw on Learn temporarily, which doesn't provide the MP bonus.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I've been playing FF12 on and off for the past year or so, with the stipulation that I use only one job for character. I kind of agree that Time Battlemage doesn't really have a huge amount of utility in practice due to how situational most time spells are, but at the same time I've found it to be a very solid damage dealer. If I start doing the particularly nasty post-game stuff it might not hold up, but it has been frequently strong throughout the game. IIRC FF12 loves giving you some really decent crossbows around the midpoint. Plus having another source of Decoy/Bubble is always a good thing.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
In the very least there will probably be a mod to restore the sprint speed eventually.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
The new dungeons in the GBA releases are generally not great, but the ability to change your party in FF4, the new jobs in FF5 and the new espers in FF6 are all fun and add to the experience imo. FF4 in particular gains a lot from being able to shake up the party at the end.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think the next time I play TZA (as opposed to SFF) I’m going to do a random job assignment setup, but I think I’m going to do one job per character and no repeats. I just made a list of jobs and rolled a d12 to come up with some hypothetical teams and so far none of them have been unplayable so it might be pretty fun.

I've done this and I think I actually prefer it to having two jobs. It didn't seem to be harder, but characters were much more distinct.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Gilgamesh round 2 is good and fun, I just wish you didn't have to run through the Disma Zone to get to him

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I have to agree that FF5 is difficult, or at least it's hard for a mainline Final Fantasy game. I genuinely have no idea how many times I've beaten it and it's at a point now where it's not really hard anymore with some planning, but when I think back to my first run where things were unoptimized and I had less knowledge of how things worked it was a verrrry different experience.

NED in particular is a total brick wall of a boss if you don't know all the tricks and have a strong party. Then there's all those examples of bosses who are weird mechanically like Atomos, Wendigo and the triplets in the trench who are not terribly intuitive to fight for a new player.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Cyan's fighting spirit kept him alive

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
he did, but the odds of getting it are pretty low. I think it's not even possible in most situations where you use the command, at least in the original versions

also noticed a bunch of largely harmless bugs so far:

- the rich guy's house in South Figaro has exactly one room which has the SF empire occupation music, even before the empire invades. seems to correct itself in the WoR

- if you use auto battle seems to override targeting limitations in some situations. example: at the start of a fight where your party is surrounded and in the previous regular battle you used an attack which targets the enemy party, it will still hit all targets in the surrounded fight, even though it's supposed to hit just one side. only through autobattle though.

- right after chupon joined ultros in the airship battle, I had cyan use flurry and the first hit of flurry hit both targets, though each subsequent hit only damaged one.

- flurry also seems to have some oddities with regards to cyan's row status, which I don't think existed in the original. specifically if you have cyan in the back row, the first hit of flurry will ignore his row and do full damage, but the other three hits will have the damage reduced. I'm not 100% but I don't think it worked this way in the original.

- did sketch always use MP when it used enemy attacks that cost MP? it definitely does now and I don't really remember how it used to be.

- gau's rages don't seem to work properly with auto battle and he just seems to do a physical attack if you haven't already selected a rage in that fight.

considering all of this is likely to get patched out it's been a pretty good port.

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 27, 2022

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I just bet a behemoth suit at the colosseum to get a snow scarf. the enemy is an outsider which iirc is normally fought in kefka's tower. fight starts, the outsider uses an instant kill move on itself?? free snow scarf anyway

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

ok autobattle is unusable with setzer gotten the party wipe three times tonight

I've also had this happen this evening and I only really used autobattle with slots a handful of times. obviously it's anecdotal on my part but it makes me wonder how exactly autobattle chooses which slots combination to use

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

The enemy "Chaser" has resulted in a softlock for me every time I've encountered it on the Veldt. It's annoying because when it dies, it's supposed to spawn enemies that teach multiple lores. A patch would be nice.

this has also happened to me. once it worked normally but subsequent times it has not

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

dolphinbomb posted:

Overall FF6PR feels harder than previous incarnations. Ever since hitting the floating continent it has been a struggle.

Ultima Weapon is a force to be reckoned with when it's spamming flare at you for 700-800 damage and everyone barely has 1000 hp. This is also the first time I've ever actually seen it use its Mind Blast ability that throws a shitload of random status effects on the party. The first Humbaba fight was pretty rough as well, and I ended up cheesing it by buying a bunch of super balls from Tzen.

I think something might be screwy with that first Humbaba fight, I think he runs away a lot faster in the original. Second fight seemed harder too. It's weird, I remember him being fairly simple prior to this version.

The tentacles were the only boss I lost to more than once though. I don't know exactly what the deal is, but when they grab a character it seems like they might be sapping HP much faster than before. Sap/Regen both feel like they tick faster as well, not sure if that's me misremembering though.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

I still think back to this whole situation every once in a while and lol anew

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
egad that's just bizarre

if it gets cleaned up a bit I'm tempted to get the PC version and screw around with it a bit. it would be cool if it were possible to mod the game lightly to make the relief charm available at all times and not just in new game plus. that's the item that allows you to switch out serge for someone else in battle and I think it could spice up the game a bit were you able to do that without already overpowering everything in new game plus.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Disappointing Pie posted:

I’m amazed people haven’t done more mods for Square games like that dude did with Moguri mod for FFIX. That shits magic.

I think one of the big things that drove Moguri to be made was that FF9 has really, really detailed background artwork, arguably more so than other games of the same era. it's just incredibly blurry due to tech limitations of the time, so there's a ton of incentive to clean that up.

I think it might also have to do with the fact that modding for the Steam version had gotten sufficiently advanced and well-understood by the time AI upscaling became something a person could reasonably do, just a perfect storm of potential.

it could well happen with the CC remaster eventually, but it'll take time for people to figure out the guts of the game before we get there

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Arbite posted:

At the start of disc 3 in FF9, is it possible to have the moogle get all their mail or will there always be at least one missing?

from memory I think it's possible to get all of them, but there's not really any penalty for missing any of them. there's a sidequest accessible in disc 4 that involves a chain of mognet deliveries but you don't get locked out of it if you miss previous deliveries if that's what you're thinking

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I heard he made it so Braska's Final Aeon and stuff was leveled up to be harder than Penance. Good fuckin' luck getting me to ever try that poo poo. I'll hold onto the version I got forever.

I haven't really played many FF mods made by other people much in the last several years (except for New Threat), but back in the day, like mid-late 00s and such, it seemed like any mod that was sufficiently iterated on for long enough eventually seems to wind up over-tuned like this. it's like how in FF Tactics 1.3, the idea of "sandbagging", where you are in a situation where you are repeatedly reviving party members over and over again while the enemy does the same thing and you wait until an opening, wound up being a feature of the main version of the mod instead of it being a moment where the people making it realized "whoops we made the least engaging emergent gameplay possible."

it's especially annoying because you'll see descriptions of stuff in a mod and be excited by the possibilities, but then it turns out that combat is a complete life-or-death struggle 100% of the time and there's just no chill. these games are all easy once you play them enough, but mods tend to go way too far into the other direction. even some versions of New Threat have had problems with that.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

I should not have clicked that

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The "Guile is Magus" plot was sacrificed on the altar of We Simply Must Have Turnip In The Game.

a reasonable sacrifice imo

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I've posted in this thread before about the mod I made for FF9, David Bowie Edition, which is a gameplay mod that changes a whole bunch of skills, items, monsters and so on, with a bunch of minor quality of life improvements as well (eg. only need to catch 69 frogs for Quale to show up). Previously I had said that it was for vanilla FF9 only and that it did not work with Moguri. That has changed: it can now be used with Moguri, meaning you can make use of the enhanced graphics, turn-based battles and guaranteed stealing provided by playing in the Memoria engine.

I haven't had time to play through the entire game to bug test it yet, but my guess is that it'll probably work just fine. The mod can be installed easily using Memoria's new mod manager, if you want to try it, do the following steps:

1. Install the latest version of Moguri, the download link is as follows: https://www.moddb.com/downloads/mirror/216757/127/bfacb6ef7e75fa89cd9b57b3d09a2a23

2. Download and run the latest version of the Memoria patcher from this page: https://github.com/Albeoris/Memoria/releases. Note that when you run the patcher, Windows may pop up a dialog saying the file is unsafe; this appears to be a false positive and is probably not unexpected given how the patcher works.

3. Launch FF9. You should now see a different looking screen from what you would normally get with Moguri, what you'll want to click is the "Install Mods" button in the upper right-hand corner. From there, click the Browse Catalog tab and you should see the mod listed. Not everything listed is current available for direct download through the manager, but from what I can tell that will change soon.

4. Install David Bowie Edition and go back to the Installed Mods tab. Activate the Moguri and David Bowie Edition mod files. From here you may need to alter the load order; so long as David Bowie Edition is listed above the Moguri files it should work just fine.

I'm still screwing around with things and making sure that nothing drastic is broken, if anyone gives this a shot and runs into trouble, let me know where it happened and I'll see if I can figure it out. On paper I haven't changed things drastically enough for there to be major problems, but you never know.

edit: also should probably start a new game if trying this, the way I messed around with equipment would lead to some oddities if you started the mod in the middle of an ongoing game.

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 1, 2022

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Does every character have a prominent crotch bulge now

I'm not sure if model editing is at a point where we can do full Jareth support yet

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I got FF9 and David Bowie Edition working on my Steam Deck. I love this gadget so much

e: actually, vladdy, is there a discord or anything you use for DBE? I don't want to clog up this thread if I have questions. I'm controlling Steiner for the first time and I'm realizing I have a chicken knife and three excalipoors in my inventory that I have no idea where they came from

Oh god, something has gone horribly wrong there. When I get home from work I will nab PMs. Evidently something has not carried over correctly from vanilla, initial equipment and item pickups should be radically different than what you have there.

This is after a starting a brand new game right?

3 Excalipoors right off the bat is... really strange.

Edit this is especially odd since the Excalipoor actually takes over the original broadsword weapon slot in the game, but I don't think it's possible to even have three broadswords yet. Steiner should have one and that's it until Dali

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 3, 2022

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

I actually think everything is fine besides the item pickups, I think I'll start a new game and try to figure out exactly when I got them. I'm not sure I started out with them

Zidane and Steiner had their Mage Masher and Iron Sword, which have the abilities Speed of Life and Add Status, and then Minus Strike, respectively

I wonder if something has gone wrong with the initial items (potions, ect) the player starts with. This sucks, I have six and a half hours left of work and I am desperate to see what happened here, especially if the initial equips are normal.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

No Dignity posted:

I'm going to start a DBE/Moguri/Memoria run this evening so I can report on the starting items in a bit if that's any help

That would be a ton of help, thank you

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

so after checking my saves, I already had the Chicken Knife and three Excalipoors by the time I took control of Steiner and saved. well, I've started anew and repeated the beginning of the game while trying to adhere to all the choices I made the first time and I don't have them as of reaching Steiner

I'm not sure what could explain it

Yeah I don't know what to make of that at all, but it's good it's looking normal now. I wonder if I can find some way to replicate that though, it's pretty interesting as bugs go.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Can anybody tell me if this is a bug and if so, was it in base FFVII or is it something from the mod?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Gy5TsO0u0

Mimed 2X or 4X Cut does at least twice if not more the damage. It is specifically with the Conformer, I tried it out with different weapons on both of them. I know poo poo about coding video games but I'd guess it has to do with the Conformer's unique nature.

Maybe this is a well-known glitch, I've never been super in the know on FFVII's gameplay. But man, Yuffie with the Conformer has always been great in my eyes, now she's broken to all Hell . I won't be doing this anymore, though. Totally defeats the point.

Which reminds me, so many people complain about the lack of saves in FF3D's final dungeon....what about FF7? I know, I know, by this point in the game even babby players are probably laughing at random encounters but it's a decently long dungeon and that single Save Crystal should obviously be saved for the very end.

I booted up vanilla FF7 to try this out and it's odd, 4x cut with the Conformer seems to do the same damage whether it is mimed or if Yuffie herself has 4x cut. Could be something caused by the mod if it messed with the Conformer's damage formula, maybe changes that were made aren't taking effect when mimed or something like that.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I didn't think to give her Double Cut because that goes against my little class challenge but just to experiment, I gave it to her and you're right. It's not about Mime at all but rather Conformer + Double Cut results in her doing ridiculous damage, way more than she should be capable of doing. Again I'm not sure if this is a mod thing or in base game.

EDIT:

Okay...her normal physical attack just does that much damage now... I don't know why, it never has before now.... Weird.

Probably just general fuckery with the Conformer's weird damage formula. Might also have a big jump if the enemies in the end game have higher levels than they would in the base game.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
IIRC, yes. I think I left it like that to ensure that the player would have at least two by the time they got to Lindblum. Honestly part of the reason I opted for the Mage Masher initial equip was because in regular FF9, the regular Dagger only stays equipped for like a single battle since a Mage Masher can be immediately stolen from Baku (which, I assume, most people wind up doing) so I figured I'd just cut out the middle man and find a way to repurpose the Dagger. Kind of wish I did it a bit differently in retrospect but it is what it is.

Also I'm working on a small update that probably won't be out until tomorrow evening, long story short I noticed a small but awkward bug during the Black Waltz 2 boss fight that shouldn't be there and I've taken the time to tidy up some things that I've noticed over the past several days. The Black Waltz thing isn't necessarily a show stopper, but there's some unintended behavior there, one part of it is harder than it's meant to be.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

No Dignity posted:

More bug hunting: I've noticed between saving my game last and loading up the same file the party's gained just over 2000 gil. So the save file says 8800 (which was correct when I closed the game) and on loading it's at 10250. Still in the evil forest, about to go rescue Garnet

I... huh. I will try to replicate that when I get home. I have a hunch that might be a more fundamental bug with either FF9 or Memoria since I don't think that any changes I made could do something like that.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I just pushed out an update for DBE, in order to install it all you need to do is go into the Memoria mod manager, uninstall the mod and then install it the same way you did the first time, so it's quick and painless. Just make sure to activate it again before starting the game.

Made a few minor fixes that were bugging me in addition to the Black Waltz 2 thing, but nothing major, mostly mistakes in help menu texts. It's possible the Black Waltz thing is screwed up in a new harmless way, but it's not nuking the party anymore so eh. Honestly not sure how that got through earlier testing.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

I've played up through to Lindblum now. I have to say that while I think a lot of the changes are cute, the Ice Cavern and the Black Waltzes were real walks in the park. it's been a long time since I played vanilla FF9, so my perspective of what "a little harder than vanilla" is probably off, but nothing so far has been at the New Threat level of difficulty. is there a point at which you'd say it begins to ramp up some?

For the most part I didn't actually change a huge amount in the very start of the game. The main thing I changed up was the actual nature of the encounters, adding a bunch of formations of multiple weaker enemies, specifically trying to avoid the whole situation where the battle takes several seconds to load to encounter a single goblin who dies in a single hit. I didn't want these formations to be especially hard since the player doesn't really have a huge amount of resources or options early on (albeit maybe slightly more than the base game) and I wanted to introduce changes to abilities and combat gradually as the game goes by. So the early game isn't all that different, but by the end game you should have way more potential strategies and tactics to play around with than you normally would.

Generally speaking things get gradually tougher after Lindblum, since the player's options open up and there's more room for error. I should stress that DBE was never really intended to be a difficulty mod; someone who has a lot of experience with FF9 is probably never going to get seriously stuck at any point. The main reason for making fights slightly tougher was because party members on the whole usually wind up a bit tougher than usual and I also wanted to make individual fights a bit more substantial since the Steam version has a lower encounter rate across the board. Basically combat is meant to be more involved on a fight-per-fight basis (you can pretty much sleepwalk through all of vanilla FF9 after all), while still being able to be cleared fairly easily with good decisions and some forethought. I definitely didn't realize that at all with the start of the game though, I do admit. Optional content tends to be a lot harder, for instance Hades is significantly tougher than vanilla and Quale doesn't work anything like he used to and is much less of a pushover.

All that being said I am very open to criticism about the difficulty; I was never quite sure exactly how far to go because I specifically didn't want to make a hard mode mod and since I knew all the changes I made it was hard to tell if I was making things too hard or too easy. Someone in recent weeks mentioned in this thread that the big appealing thing in FF games is usually less a question of how hard they are and more a question of how many decisions and approaches are available to the player and that was basically what I was going for with this mod.

tdlr it'll start getting a bit harder but as it is currently it'll probably never completely kick your rear end on a regular basis if I'm being honest

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 5, 2022

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Weird, I will take a look tonight

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

I came in with the understanding that it's no hard mod, and that's perfectly fine. I like challenge, but I don't want a Tactics 1.3, either. but I would say the beginning is pretty undertuned if Steiner can one-shot most everything and Garnet's multi-target Cure heals for all or more of characters' max HP AND now has a full suite of spells already, including damage options, debuff options, and Osmose for ensuring you never run out of those. you'll basically never need a single item

I ran into some ghosts and said, "cool, an opportunity to use Dia." that did like 2,300 damage to one and killed it. Steiner hit the other for like 250 and also killed it. if Garnet had just single-targeted a Cure, would that have done the same thing for less MP? I believe one of the big intended features of the mod is expanded options and I think that's well-implemented, but why have them if there's no need for them?

The thing with Dia is that it's really a mid-tier specialized spell that is really more of an easter egg if you get it at the start of the game, especially since the Moonstone location is not especially intuitive and I'm not sure most folks are even aware of it. The Ghosts in Dali are pretty much the only use case for the spell at all until you get to the second disc and even then it takes a while for the spell to be truly useful. The basic idea was "you know about the Moonstone? Very good, now you can nuke a ghost," so in this case it was more of me thinking something was neat rather than giving it a huge amount of consideration as a balance thing. Tbh that could probably be said of much of the design, a lot of the time if I thought of something I thought might be cool and lead to fun options, in it went.

All that being said I am inclined to do another balance pass for the start of the game, the rest of the game as well but the start in particular. When working on the encounters I basically went in order from the start of the game to the end, so there was a pretty significant gap of knowledge and experience on my part during the start and end of the game.

I didn't take your criticism as making GBS threads either, criticism from other people is something the mod never got when I uploaded the initial version years ago. That was part of the reason I mentioned it here, since I figured people would have more in-depth opinions and suggestions.

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 5, 2022

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

I like the availability of options and I think it'll lead to a really fresh-feeling playthrough!

something to consider is what kind of nerd is seeking mods for FF9 and learning how to use a mod loader and that kind of thing to play them. there's a difficult balance to be struck with knowing this kind of player probably does know where all the goodies are in this 22-year-old game, but not making it the baseline for successful preparation

a lot of my wonderings with balance are centered around Garnet and Steiner right now, so I'm interested in seeing how the run through the grotto will play

I hope you'll get more players, I'm really happy Memoria opened up. I had wanted to try DBE for a couple years now, but I bet a lot of people are like me and couldn't get themselves to play something without Moguri lol

Moguri support is huge. It wasn't something I had really thought about when I started working on DBE, since at that time Moguri wasn't yet a fully mature project and didn't yet have all the buzz it wound up having, but by the time I did my first release it had become the best way to play and to be honest it was a bit demoralizing. It was kind of wild quickly how FF9 modding went from Memoria support being basically optional to it being essential if you wanted an audience. I was very slow to change with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

amigolupus posted:

The PC remaster hosed up some sound effects to be way too loud, like the ding when cards get turned in Tetra Master. I wanna say the Moguri mod also fixes this and changes it back to the PSX sound effects?

Not sure if Moguri fixes it but there is at least a separate mod that attempts to revert sounds to their PSX originals. I seem to recall it worked well.