Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

jokes posted:

no, i am going to kill chaos

"Bullshit," I say as I pull out my dphone and blast Limp Bizkit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I hope Jack's dphone is a selectable item for like the menu in game and that I can switch on music to play from it. I'll be blasting at fun volume as I RP walk towards bosses.

You know; for immersion.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Harrow posted:

Final Fantasy XII story stuff that I'm trying to refresh my memory on.

For some reason it never occurred to me to question why the statue containing the Dusk Shard in the palace at Rabanastre opens up automatically to reveal the stone to Vaan. Combined with Vaan also seeing the visions of Rasler that the Occuria show to Ashe, is it meant to be implied that he might also be descended from Raithwall?

I have no idea on that first one.

As for the second. When Vaan and Ashe speak alone on the bridge. Vaan seems a little uncertain at who it is he saw. He seems to think it was Reks. We know we saw Prince Rasler, but it could be the players are only seeing things from Ashe's viewpoint. The Occuria mayhap noticed Vaan's desire for revenge over the loss of a loved one as well and reached out. Maybe just having the same motivation and feelings as Ashe at the time was enough to be affected by the spell that was weaved.

Notably after Vaan relinquishes his desire for revenge in that same conversation he can no longer see the apparition.

Edit: Beat. Why must I type so slowly?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Vinny brought this up in his Metroid Dread finale and now I'm curious too. Is Final Fantasy the series with the most numbered sequels? He didn't mean the most games, like there might be 25 Madden games (making up a number) but they're named after the year they were released. But with Final Fantasy 16 on the way, are there any other games that are for example Super Mario Bros. 16, or higher? The only one I can think of that comes close is Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV, which is still less than Final Fantasy by one even if you're only counting released titles.

I don't know if really counts since it is an arcade game, but there is Beatmania IIDX. Whose latest release is Beatmania IIDX 29: CastHour.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Sophia will be in my party permanently.

Neon will be permanently on the bench.

Mega64 posted:

https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1470816104117420043?s=20

I hope they make this canon along with Mobius and Dissidia and make the FF1 EU even more batshit insane than the FF7 one.

Is he down to kill Chaos or not? I cannot properly judge characters without knowing this.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

20 years since Final Fantasy X's release in North America.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Kazuya Takahashi posted this to his Twitter. Further solidifying my belief that Jill will be the Dominant of Shiva in FFXVI.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

Wait is it a isekai if it's time travel?

Well that depends. Sometimes time travel is a device used to teleport a character to a world so functionally different it's indistinguishable from an Isekai.

An example would be the main character in Inuyasha traveling back in time to the Sengoku period, but there's demons and magic and no known historical figures appear.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

the new testament is an isekai

No that's a reverse-isekai.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I said come in! posted:

When is this coming out? That trailer was from back in May last year, i'm surprised there has been nothing new.

I'm betting on next year for the 35th anniversary.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Disappointing Pie posted:

It’s not FF but I’ve owned Octopath Traveler for a couple years but never put more than an hour into it. If I loved FFIV/VI would it be up my alley? The art style is lovely I’ve just heard so much bad crap that it kinda soured me on giving it a shot.

Octopath is a good game people are down about because it could have been a really great game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

PSA: The bestiary for Famed Mimic Gogo in FFVPR doesn't unlock if you do the fight the intended way. Which is sit and do nothing for a few minutes.

This has thwarted my 100% run for FFVPR and I'm somewhat salty.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what are you supposed to do actually kill Gogo? Isn't that impossible?

It's not impossible. You can land Silence on him to prevent him from using Mimic.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So you're mastering every job? drat

I abandoned getting other achievements once I realized I couldn't 100% without starting over from the beginning to fight Gogo and just finished the game. This is actually the first time I've beaten FFV.

Maybe Square-Enix will patch it and then I'll grind everything to max and kill the super bosses.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 11, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

And FFVIII finished.

That leaves FFXI, FFXIII, and FFXV as the only mainline titles I have not beaten.

I'm going to tackle FFXIII and it's sequels next. FFXI as a MMO will be hundreds of hours and I'd like a better GPU before restarting FFXV.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did you see the special GF scene in Lunatic Pandora

The scene where Seifer cuts Odin in half and then Gilgamesh turns up, apparently straight from FFV, and blows Seifer away?

Yeah I saw that. It was cool. Doubly so since I finished FFV the week before.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

trizzNPH posted:

Been playing XII TZA on gamepass lately and drat do we need more mainline titles taking place in this world. Games got its flaws but realizing it takes place in the same world as FFT:A really tickles me the right way.

Any confirmation that 16 takes place there, or it is other nondescript high techno fantasy?

XVI is taking place on the world of Valisthea. FFXII and it's related games take place on the world of Ivalice.

There probably won't be another game set on Ivalice. Yasumi Matsuno was the main driver of the setting and he's long since departed Square Enix.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

So I'm about three hours into FFXIII and at the start of Chapter 3 and yeah it's been as super linear as everyone says it is. The real combat system has now unlocked, so I'll be interested to see how it feels.

I did think the narrative and character control switching between the different party members until they all come together was cool. You don't really see that in RPGs.

I definitely understand now why people say the storytelling is done in a poor way. A ton of explanation is in the datalogs. As one of those people who collected and listened in all the Codex entries in the Mass Effect games this wasn't a problem for me in understanding things, but it doesn't really feel that engaging when the information is more than merely supplementary.

It really shows why ignorant/amnesiac protagonists are so common. Another character explaining things to them (and more importantly, you, the player) feels better than listening to the cast talk about things that are common knowledge among themselves, but leaves the player out of the loop for an extended period of time.

This is also one of the few PC games I've felt the need to actually download and install a fan fix patch. It just ran terribly and the FMVs have a very distracting green artifacting across the bottom and right edges that I can't fix without downloading a 100GB+ fan patch.

I'm sure none this is news to the thread.

Edit: Vanille's weapon is the dumbest thing I've seen in the series. They should have given her a whip instead.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 18, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I disagree. They adapted the stories of FFT and FFXII to fit into FFXIV, but they didn't make something new set in the world of Ivalice.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Hogama posted:

Non-event or weird computer simulacrum, anyway, since Lightning, Shantotto, Iroha, and Noctis have all visited XIV from their respective games.

Iroha doesn't just visit. She's stuck in FFXIV, because her future timeline in FFXI is gone!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The FF villain who most successfully executes their plan and achieves their goal is Ilberd in FFXIV.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

OhFunny posted:

It's not impossible. You can land Silence on him to prevent him from using Mimic.

I abandoned getting other achievements once I realized I couldn't 100% without starting over from the beginning to fight Gogo and just finished the game. This is actually the first time I've beaten FFV.

Maybe Square-Enix will patch it and then I'll grind everything to max and kill the super bosses.

I couldn't let it go, so I went and did it after a lot of grinding.

Killed Omega too, so now just to grind all jobs to max and then kill Shinryu.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does Jack use suffixes or numbers?

Chaos (theory) is made up of numbers, so definitely suffixes.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

There’s something mentally wrong with me because I have to fight the urge to play more of the SoP demo instead of more Elden Ring. Even though my gaming time is limited and I’m getting SoP on PC which I can’t transfer demo progress to. It’s like junk food in game form, maybe that’s why.

Also my PC pre-order says SoP will be available the 16th.

Your restless soul is burning with the need to kill CHAOS.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I'm going to beat the game on every difficulty setting because I cannot stand the thought there's a version of CHAOS that remains unkilled.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Shame.

I suppose that's $40 saved at least.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I enjoy filling things out so I liked the sphere grid.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Warrior aside, all the female characters in DQ3 were way more appealing then their male counterparts.

Weird how changing class in that game straight up changes a person's body and facial appearance.

Hard disagree from me there. I love having a party made up of Goku, Master Rishi, Tien, and Bullma.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

https://twitter.com/SQEX_MD_GOODS/status/1518048212166545411?s=20&t=gATFFh702nntSrqesAiL9A

not gonna lie if I was stupid rich I'd buy this in a second but holy poo poo $12,000 lol

Sakaguchi thinks it's dumb as hell

I will never accept blonde-haired Terra.

Hell yeah!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Square Enix announced FFXV reached 10 million in sales.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

FrostyPox posted:

Well, once you're about 5 or 6 hours in, FFXIII gets pretty all right.

Can't say I'm feeling much improvement 12 hours in.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Barudak posted:

Game kicks rear end, what are you let down by (there are many legitimate things)

I think the biggest let down for me so far (finished Chapter 7 today) is the world or rather the lack of it in FFXIII. I'm the type of player who when I play RPGs speaks to every NPC, does every side quest, explores to find hidden stuff. None of that is here. They've streamlined this Final Fantasy game down to corridors, encounters, and cutscenes.

It feels like I'm playing a Devil May Cry (corridors, encounters, cutscenes) game with a different combat system.

I haven't even gotten got the whole party together yet. It kept bouncing back and forth between pairs until toward the end of Chapter 7. I will say I started to feel the combat system come alive when I got to fight with three party members, but Chapter 8 started and I'm back to two. :sigh:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

gigglefeimer posted:

It's not about the percentage, it's because it's X-2. After all, you don't hear about people rage quitting trying to get Excalibur II on their first playthrough, or restarting from scratch because they missed a crucial step in Zell's love quest.

VIII and IX don’t have a little percentage counter that pops up on your save file. That’s what drives people to madness.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The kaiju style fights between the eikons look sick.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

FrostyPox posted:

:eyepop: That FFXVI trailer

PLEEEASE simultaneous PC release

Or PC release at all, apparently they announced a PC release but then retracted it

PS5: Summer 2023.

PC: Summer 2024 (Epic Games Store exclusive)

Steam: Summer 2025.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The biggest question I would like answered is if this is going to be a linear action game like the Devil May Cry games are or if they're pairing the DMC style combat with a more open world.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

And when people in this very Forum said, based on like a 2 minute early combat trailer, that there absolutely would be no women in the cast. Didn't there end up being two female team mates?

Anyway, I love female leads, I love having female party members, but we know almost nothing about the game, calm down. Also, even if Clive is the only member of your team, the FF series has rotated through female leads, female solo projects, etc. FF should really not be the target if your concern is "general female representation in game media", and especially not based on this trailer which was mostly kaiju fighting.

I recall it being just one person and a lot of people replying to them.

I was onboard to KILL CHAOS immediately.

Jetrauben posted:

SB:
Recurring female cast of note: Lyse, Sadu, Cirina, Fordola

Angst to see who you forgot here. :colbert:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Harrow posted:

drat, Benedikta (Garuda's dominant) looks cool as gently caress

Generally really liking the character designs in this

These are going to be such sick glamours when the FFXIVxFFXVI event happens.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The extremely hulking looking brute of a man that is the Titan Dominant is officially the kingdom's economic adviser.

That got a chuckle out of me.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Augus posted:

btw don't know if this was confirmed before now but Koji Fox is doing the localization.
non-XIV fans gonna get their first dose of puns :getin:

He needs to be stopped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Harrow posted:

I watched the trailer again and the HUD is kind of growing on me, gently caress

I am really hyped to see how crazy the combos can get with the eikon-swapping (and maybe weapon-swapping? Or does Clive only use swords?)

You can him using fists when channeling Titan and spears when channeling Odin.