Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

wheres clive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

jokes posted:

Fists scale off Level and Strength actually! Which means you’ll probably be able to make a better bare-fist person the minute Monk is mastered by turning them into a freelancer who can wear good strength equipment.

So... the ribbon? Pretty sure monk can already equip all the other strength boosting armor. Also if you're using a freelancer, why would you not just give them a real weapon to use monk's strength stat with instead of leaving them barehanded?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Mandoric posted:

As for Monk punching, you'll never know you miss it until you get a 4JF roll involving THF/NIN/NIN. Five-six hands to put knives in, and two-three good knives in the entire game, all of which are unique; Twin Lance isn't bad but low base/high multiplier really hurts against lategame defense.

You can get more rising suns, at least? Granted it's a rare steal in the last section of the void, and they're not really that much better than twin lances, but still.

Better answer: Someone has to be the dedicated item chucker, and you've got a bunch of assorted junk you can !Throw even without a magic passive to boost scrolls.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Dumb thing I just noticed looking at the algorithm guide: whether or not a weapon is compatible with doublehand is purely a matter of what damage formula it uses. This means that you can doublehand the rune chime and gaia bell, lol.

Never change, bells. (If bells actually make sense in PR I riot)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

gently caress Gil Turtle. My comp is Thief, Red Mage, Bard and Samurai.

I need the gil.

But I am getting hit through elven mantles, shiharadori and my offense is Requiem. I can only survive earthquake via aegis shield

I'm going to take a different tack from everyone else's advice and just say: No you don't. You might think you do, but you don't.

Also just farm dragon fangs instead.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Unless PR changed this, I'm pretty sure zombie only sticks if the attack that inflicts it actually kills you, so if you keep your health up it should be a non-issue.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Huh, I'd never really thought about it before, but FF as a series is usually pretty good about sticking to fairly realistic hair colors for its human characters, isn't it?

Also almost all of the exceptions are pink/purple haired women. :v:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That said, there are a few jobs that are unusually quick to master. The ones that come to mind are bard, blue mage, and geomancer. Mastering bard is pretty pointless, but the other two both have useful passives that could arguably be worth the investment, though it still requires running around as a freelancer in the midgame when you'd probably rather be gaining AP.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh yeah, bard itself is very good, I was just saying that, strictly for the purpose of freelancer inheritance, there's not much value in mastering it outside of a few edge cases.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FF5 has more castles with encounters than without them even if you ignore the ones that are actual full fledged dungeons.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

This thread is acting like you all don’t have Jackanapes wandering your basements. Who protects your ancestral treasures if you don’t have Jackanapes?

Last Celebration posted:

I just have old poo poo in my basement so all I get is a Y Burn.

The real trick is to have treasure that guards itself. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go needleproof my animated statue collection.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

...You all know that Astos has always had a name, right?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

When discussing why his mom is on the Farplane, Tidus is confused why since nobody Sent her and Yuna says it's only because "she accepted death while still alive." I don't think it's just violent or sudden deaths that cause this.

Also, evidently, there are still a ton of Fiends in FFX-2 so people arE still dying and needing to be Sent.

That... literally supports what they're saying though? Tidus' mom died peacefully and ended up in the Farplane without needing to be Sent.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Kind of a random thought I had while watching people blind play FFVII and VIII

Is VII the last game with pincer attacks? I'm pretty sure it is. The Trigger Command in the squid boss in FFX doesn't count. I'm just not sure why they removed it in VIII and IX at least. It was kinda cool how you or the enemy could start with that advantage. It at least would have worked in IX since it also has front and back rows.

I also miss front and back rows, although it's not actually in any of my favorite turn-based systems like SMT or Chrono Cross.

Pretty sure VI was the only other game that had them in the first place; it wasn't like a series staple or anything.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Started playing FF6 T-edition a few days ago and I have a question: Apparently I just sold the Shiny Thing; have I screwed myself out of getting the water dance? I don't need to know the details if there's hack content that provides another opportunity, a simple yes/no will suffice.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Eight-Six posted:

fake edit: this reminds me that the ff6 t-edition is out there, does anyone have firsthand experience with it? curious about that as well

I'm in the WoR with a full collection of party members, but haven't poked at much else yet. I'm enjoying it a lot! Some thoughts:

Magic being incredibly OP in vanilla FF6 is a neat integration of gameplay and story, and the hack manages to preserve that feel while also making it less of a Win Button and improving character distinction. Magic itself isn't any less powerful, but between limited mp pools and no esper stat bonuses, characters that aren't dedicated mages can't really afford to spam spells and often have better damage options anyway. There's also a distinct jump in the difficulty curve when enemies start using magic regularly that helps it feel appropriately dangerous.

Somewhat related, the fight command is actually something you might want to use sometimes, because most other actions now have a significant delay attached to them.

One of my favorite little details is that the Falcon's interior plays the theme for whatever character you have at the front of the party. It's cute. :3:

My biggest criticism is that there's a lot of clunky UI borne of twisting FF6's engine into doing things it was never meant to. I'd kill for a proper sidequest tracker, for instance. Also, while I haven't really had to grind at all, there's definitely an intended level curve to a lot of the WoR content that isn't always signposted very well, and picking a fight that you're not ready to handle yet won't go well for you.

It's actually really interesting comparing this to BNW because they take such a different approach to things. BNW is very much a comprehensive mechanical overhaul of the game's systems, but outside of the questionable dialogue changes and that thing with Celes on the floating continent (is this even still in the most recent version?) the content is unchanged. Meanwhile T-Edition has a bunch of extra content, but is still mostly the same game under the hood.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Cleretic posted:

I like silent protagonists because chances are fairly low that I disagree with or dislike any aspect of their personality. It really sucks when that happens, because it basically kills the entire story for me.

Link's probably not a jackass, and so I'm unlikely to turn away from a Zelda game because of him.

Genuine question, why is only being able to play as Link, a dude, not a dealbreaker for you in the same way that Noct+bros, Jack, or Clive are?

I'm really not trying to get in a sick burn or anything here, and I'd appreciate it if nobody else takes it as an invitation.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

HD DAD posted:

The fact that the World of Ruin was added to VI as an afterthought because they were ahead of schedule blows my mind. If it had just ended at the Floating Continent as intended, that’d be…one of the shortest games in the series, right?

I mean, game development doesn't happen in a straight line from beginning to end. Presumably at least some of the WoR content already existed and would have just been placed in the WoB somewhere before they realized they had time to do more.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TBH I've kind of come around to just reading Terra as ace/aro, personally, with the conflict coming from her misidentifying her unique parentage as the source of her confusion when actually it's just heteronormativity.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Why are you all still interacting with the poster who insisted on calling Sabin Sabine and then said it had to be a mistranslation when called on it?

Clearly the posting is not being made in good faith here

Eh, they're obviously doing a bit but I'm pretty sure the opinions they're expressing underneath the shitposting are still sincere. Whether or not that's worth responding to is up to the individual, I guess.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Imagine thinking 5's extreme Saturday morning cartoon energy is a negative.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Space Fish posted:

And Owzer just sits there, the rich patron, lapping up the drama.

To be fair, iirc the painting was already cursed when he got it, and he specifically brought Relm in to try to break it.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Maybe the reason VI ended up taking longer is it was the only one early enough along in development for them to incorporate much feedback from the other releases.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Calaveron posted:

There was a way to get a Genji Glove super early on right? Something to do in the Returners' Hideout?

Gaius Marius posted:

Refuse Bannon three times

You can speed it up a bit by refusing him once, then going back inside and talking to the returner straight back from the entrance.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

All this time I was pronouncing it Gogo but as it turns out....

I don't get it, why did you post a picture of Cloud of Darkness?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

How much do you like purifying the cursed shield? (The pally shield teaches Ultima too)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Waterga-ship Down

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FF8 doesn't really have that many pure "dungeon" areas. You spend like 80% of the game fighting within cities or other manmade environments, Fire Cavern is pretty memorable imo just by virtue of being Not That.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

OK but Steiner and Auron are also only like 40???

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Auron is 35
Yes go ahead crumble into dust

Nah it's cool he's still older than me :v:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

jokes posted:

It is Boco from the future, after he becomes an interdimensional traveler

You thought the 7R DLC was about Gilgamesh? Guess again……….

You forgot Boko+Koko's children too.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wait, poo poo, I just realized: Zidane is MCU Star-Lord (or the other way around, technically)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

So in FF8 is there much/any difference in characters outside of limit breaks?

I’m trying to decide on a party and I’m leaning toward Squall, Rinoa, and ______. Maybe Quistis? Quina was my favorite part of my recent romp through FF9 and I kinda want to keep the blue mage theme going.

When I played this for the first and only time back in ‘99 I used Squall, Zell, and Irvine. I definitely don’t like using Zell’s limit break as an almost 36 year old. It’s like QTE hell to me now. It was gently caress as hell when I was 13 though.

Squall is functionally immune to blind! ...That's pretty much it. (This is more relevant than you'd think: status effects increase your chances of rolling a limit break on your turn, so you can deliberately leave Squall blinded all the time for a free bonus.)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

I was going to suggest the game of "how many FF parents survive to the end credits", but there's actually a lot of them, on thinking about it.

Huh, you're right, for the most part if parents are mentioned at all they're either already dead when the game starts or survive to the end. Besides the obvious of Hope's mom, the only notable exceptions I can think of are Brahne and King Tycoon. And I guess if Hope's mom counts then so does Regis.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

We also don't know how Galuf was as a dad either, in a rare instance of a FF dad having their kids die, instead of dying themselves. This means we also don't know whether Krile's dad was good or bad.

Krile is adopted iirc; Galuf has only ever been a grandfather, never a dad.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Well that was a fun way to learn that the "x posted:" field in quotes gets affected by bbcode tags.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Props to whoever keeps sneakily changing the thread title, I almost didn't notice the one before this one.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

You can encounter Catoblepas again in the rift. All missable summons are possible encounters there, iirc.

Catoblepas and Ramuh are there, and Drakenvale is still around to get Golem, but Shiva and Carbuncle are gone forever I'm pretty sure.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Well get outta town! Here I was thinking that Relm and Gau were the only people under 20 in the game.

Celes is also 18, incidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I will admit, though, that the extent to which you're going out of your way to blitz through the games while avoiding any and all side content is causing me a certain amount of second-hand distress.

Also you're probably going to have to adjust your expectations on that front when you get to 5 and 6 if you want to have any hope of making it through their endgames.