Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

XIII-2's metacritic score is 79/100 which I don't think meets any definition of "panned by critics." Also notable is that this is much higher than LR's rating which is 66/100.

what the hell? game critics are fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Chrono/Earthbound is what nerds use to try and big up their weeb credentials

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pixel remaster neo-exdeath isn’t as good as sokken’s version but lets be honest it was never going to be

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Small White Dragon posted:

What are the recommended jobs for someone starting out? (FF5PR)

four white mages

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the fire ship was pretty hard…when I was five! get owned nerd lolololololololololol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sacrificing a lamb to the dorito pope in hopes of getting a XVI trailer tonight

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

D&D is butt

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the march towards narshe looks great too, very moody.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFT's original translation was rough but WotL's freshman theater club writing was tiresome. PSX version had better one-liners too.

if you don’t like theater club bullshit why are you even playing an ivalice game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I wonder if 6PR will fix Chan’s Bushido to not be worthless

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tellah’s sacrifice was badass, stfu nerds

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh poo poo I was so distracted by horizon 2 and elden ring hype I forgot about ffvi oh gently caress!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

any notable gameplay/balance tweaks to report? I saw that they just show you Sabin’s blitz combos on the top of the screen now instead of making you memorize them

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wow I can't believe Uematsu is bad now. The George Lucas of video game music.

I’m gonna kick ur fuckin butt

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

could always just refund it if it runs bad :shrug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The pacing is nuts, I had a cutscene of meeting my boys in front of the castle then text saying “THEY HAD AN ADVENTURE TO PROVE THEMSELVES TO THE KING” then we’re talking on a boat?? Then another bit of text telling me “SO THEY RETURNED AND NOW THEY TALK TO THE KING”. It’s like it’s incomplete, or they realized that mission was boring so they cut it. This game is gonna rule.

that’s basically what the storytelling in Nioh was like too.

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 11, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Are we talking about the fight on top of Ashina Castle? Because that fight was 90% parry-string, I kinda want more than that out of a fight

uhh Sekiro might not be the game for you lmao
it’s not an RPG, it’s a rhythm game with swords (and it loving owns)

Augus fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 12, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the only bad thing I’ll ever say about strangers of paradise in my life is that it’s kinda ridiculous how blurry this game is even on PS5. Nioh 2 Definitive Edition looked so much better, what happened?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

OhFunny posted:

I'm going to beat the game on every difficulty setting because I cannot stand the thought there's a version of CHAOS that remains unkilled.

if it’s anything like Nioh each of the DLC expansions will also add an additional NG+ Difficulty so you’ll be able to kill Chaos to your heart’s desire

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

“Away, away! You plague-ridden rat! Ah’ll mess up your brain!” - Jack, to Chaos

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nioh and SoP are generally a lot more high-octane than souls games, which are more about patience and good decision making

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Asterite34 posted:

That's what happens when you're High Fantasy Lupin the 3rd.

Steiner even sorta looks like Inspector Zenigata!

wait so does that make Freya Jigen

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think you guys are overstating the importance of min-maxing augments a bit. there are some really useful augments you definitely want to try and get (mainly cry, dualcast, and omnicast) but they aren’t mandatory to beat the game by any means and unless you go out of your way to grind you’ll beat the game before they start to have any affect on your stats. Only two fights in the game are balanced around augments, both of which are postgame superbosses that only appear in NG+

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Asterite34 posted:

And yet, Hojo still isn't the worst Final Fantasy dad, somehow

he isn't?
hard to think of anyone that tops him

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MechaX posted:

Midgardsormr would be better under the circumstances if he didn't lose track of his children for thousands of years at a time

FFXIV 6.1 Spoilers: So one of your daughters went into the loving Void and you neglected to even mention this?

tbf seven kids is a lot of kids

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mr. Locke posted:

I'm pretty sure until we get another FF villain that engages in child husbandry with war orphans, Gaius von Baelsar is more or less the undisputed Worst Dad of Final Fantasy, no matter how much FFXIV has tried to walk that poo poo back since they started the character redemption arc of an unrepentant genocidal racist.

i fuckin love discourse

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

auron grabbed his godson by the collar and dangled him over a pit, babbled a bunch of nonsense, reinforced his main character syndrome, and then pulled him into a giant whale. you call this good parenting?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the game has DMC style switching let's loving gooooooo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

clive fucks confirmed
way to go buddy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

They've very pointedly never said that you only play as Clive, because I think that a second mainline FF that was that degree of sausage fest in a row would be the death knell of the franchise for a lot of people.

drat must suck for those five people

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i literally don't give a gently caress if there's party members or not the game looks sick

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a.lo posted:

And now XVI is like "The only woman we show serves as a plot device for Clive Protagonist."

aw yeah i loving love extrapolating

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i can't believe they made a final fantasy game inspired by currently popular western fantasy, this is a massive departure from the rest of the series which took inspiration from japanese cultural touchstones like d&d, blade runner, star wars, and 15th century british military conflicts

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 3, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jetrauben posted:

and even XIV has considerably more active male than female representation (there's a LOT more dude Scions than lady Scions for example).

lmao XIV is filled with great female characters you're reaching so much

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

literally everyone everywhere else: "holy poo poo ffxvi looks so sick"
literally only this forum: "will ffxvi pass the bechdel test??? are women going to stage a mass revolt against the franchise for being forced(!!!) to play as a sexy kpop hunk ONCE AGAIN???

Jetrauben posted:

Men: 28
Women: 20

Now, quantity is not quality. I agree that 14 has some extremely good female characters! But the argument it's somehow not gender-imbalanced feels questionable.

this is such a tedious way to engage with media

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Here are some screenshots from the playstation blog

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

stev posted:

So the website's character page only lists five characters as of today's update (Clive, Josh and Jill from the first trailer, and Titan and Garuda's dominants), and doesn't include all the Empire people, various politicians and important looking military people in the trailers.

So maybe these five are important enough to get space on the website because they're all playable in some way? Idk, maybe a reach but it's possible.

I doubt they're gonna be playable because the combat for Clive looks really fleshed out with a bunch of different movesets you can swap between on the fly.
they're definitely gonna be story important tho

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

titan looks so loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

btw don't know if this was confirmed before now but Koji Fox is doing the localization.
non-XIV fans gonna get their first dose of puns :getin: