Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I think this is the right thread for this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZaWnQ9HXZA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I had Hoot pegged as Disney Adult though, so it's nice to have confirmation.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Eh, when you're talking about single dudes in the mid-thirties and older, you probably do have a much better chance of running into either commitment-phobes (the serially single) or commitment-failures (the divorced).

If you're single but successful at/open to commitment as a dude past like, 35, you're probably a widower, and those dudes get snatched up quick.

There was a study on this, after 30 the dating pool gets very bad, very quick.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Some Guy TT posted:

this isnt the first time ive seen this study cited and every time ive tried to look into it i can never figure out how labor is actually being defined

theres another study that claims that single moms actually have more leisure time than married women which is equally as illogical on its face unless youre just assuming that the act of getting married arbitrarily creates new labor requirements out of nowhere that serve no actual purpose

I've read that it's because of how people think about housework. When you live by yourself and you do the dishes, you don't have to think of it as "work" or "for" anyone. It's just a thing you do.

But there are things you do for your partner/family, that you would still be doing anyway. It's like a motivation thing. I would be happy if the dishes sat in the sink and I could kick that can down the road, but I can also motivate myself (positively) to do them for my family. This can be a really good thing, it's one of the positive things that comes from caring about other people.

Well, I suppose now instead of thinking "the floor needs to be mopped (and there is no one else to do it)" it's "the floor needs to be mopped (and so I have to do it for my spouse)"? I know a few couples where one of them was always fastidiously clean but now they talk about "doing all the cleaning", when, yeah, they always did? And their spouse does the amount of cleaning they had always done too.

Idk keeping score is generally not good to begin with, if you think about roommates that have a chore wheel or whatever.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Some Guy TT posted:

one reason i dont like the phrase "commitmentphobic" is that if you actually talk to guys like this it becomes pretty clear pretty quickly that its not that theyre afraid of commitment they just dont think married lifestyle is for them and theyre probably right

theyre actually not that different from the women you describe here which is why its really weird that one of the key examples of feminist consciousness raising also manifesting in dudes results in pop feminists assuming these men must be sick in the head somehow

The same is true with sexually liberated/fuckboy

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I would argue against that. I did a lot of research for a post on that understanding of marriage for the Pop Culture thread, but haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

The gist is, in marriages that were explicitly transactional, Victorians called them "Familiar Marriages", people were generally happier than in romantic marriages. It's completely counterintuitive, but I'll try to explain (briefly).

As you know, CS Lewis argued there were four forms of love: Storge (empathy bond), Philia (friend bond), Eros (romantic love), and Agape (unconditional "God" love). We prioritize Eros as the foundation for a marriage, and assume the lack of a "spark" leads marriages to fail. The Victorians (and other people before c ~1900) believed, and research bears this out, that actually the presence of everything else matters much more to the success of a marriage. Which makes sense - you spend a lot more time going over the bills with someone than having steamy erotic encounters, so you need a relationship grounded in empathy and friendship. Previous forms of marriage supposed that if you had to choose, it was better to have those than pure physical attraction.

Someone who can provide for you is a good basis for marriage, if you can accept that as a form of love and reciprocate. It just requires a sort of steadiness. The expectation is that the flames of passion flare up and burn down to embers periodically, but you need a form of consistency in your marriage. An agreement to materially provide for someone is constant, and so can be a good foundation to build things around, because it's unchanging. Day to day, you have an arrangement your marriage is built upon, and two forms of love, Storge and Philia, built into it, because the "base" - material support - provides for a "superstructure" - a close emotional bond.

Romance's Rival: Familiar Marriage in Victorian Fiction

Romance's Rival argues that the central plot of the most important genre of the nineteenth century, the marriage plot novel, means something quite different from what we thought. In Victorian novels, women may marry for erotic desire--but they might, instead, insist on "familiar marriage," marrying trustworthy companions who can offer them socially rich lives and futures of meaningful work. Romance's Rival shows how familiar marriage expresses ideas of female subjectivity dating back through the seventeenth century, while romantic marriage felt like a new, risky idea.

Undertaking a major rereading of the rise-of-the-novel tradition, from Richardson through the twentieth century, Talia Schaffer rethinks what the novel meant if one tracks familiar-marriage virtues. This alternative perspective offers new readings of major texts (Austen, the Brontės, Eliot, Trollope) but it also foregrounds women's popular fiction (Yonge, Oliphant, Craik, Broughton). Offering a feminist perspective that reads the marriage plot from the woman's point of view, Schaffer inquires why a female character might legitimately wish to marry for something other than passion. For the past half-century, scholars have valorized desire, individuality, and autonomy in the way we read novels; Romance's Rival asks us to look at the other side, to validate the yearning for work, family, company, or social power as legitimate reasons for women's marital choices in Victorian fiction.

Comprehensive in its knowledge of several generations of scholarship on the novel, Romance's Rival convinces us to re-examine assumptions about the nature and function of marriage and the role of the novel in helping us not simply imagine marriage but also process changing ideas about what it might look like and how it might serve people.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Is it Hinge that works by having a similar commute/working in the same building as people? That doesn't seem half bad for making a coffee date.