Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Some Guy TT posted:

terf ideology fairly logically spins off from identity politics because if youre going to take the position that only women are oppressed then of course youre going to have to start nitpicking what a woman is
I think that TERF ideology, among the well-heeled set in the UK and US at least, is essentially tied to the idea of identity as an asset in the marketplace. People like Kathleen Stock see themselves as having succeeded in a hostile, sexist environment. When they say that trans women are erasing them, invading female spaces, etc. they mean that they're a threat to their ability to get tenured jobs, win awards, publish books, etc. on the basis of their identity as a woman and a feminist, since theoretically anybody can just declare themselves a woman and appropriate femininity.

I admit that this doesn't map to their views on trans men. That seems to spiral off into pure alien abduction/Pizzagate style narratives where an alien conspiracy is torturing and mutilating people for reasons that are unfathomable (but always come down to sexual sadism).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He is written to show emotions

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't wade through the muck of incel spaces, but I don't think Tate is popular with incels. Tate presents himself as an aspirational figure, and the shibboleth of inceldom is believing that you can't really change. Tate is alarming because he's popular with normal middle-to-high school boys who want to get laid some day.

This is in contrast to e.g. Jordan Peterson, who is popular with maladjusted nerds because he presents himself as a maladjusted nerd.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
How is it helpful? It justifies the freakout that I'm currently having online, or at my family and friends in real life.

I have a lot of friends who doomscroll, read about insane right-wing policies, and conclude that most people in the US and the world are misogynistic, homophobic, genocidal lunatics. This is less painful than coping with the fact that the US is not a democracy and the nominally left party is extremely bad at its job. Even my spouse won't let go of the notion that Ron DeSantis is extremely popular.

StashAugustine posted:

You're not wrong but it's absolutely a human trend rather than being a problem with liberals- how many rightist think Joe Biden is literally a communist?
For sure, but in my experience, that sort of total inability to consider the viewpoint of anyone who disagrees with you was a right-wing phenomenon until fairly recently.

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Aug 24, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont read self published books by misogynist weirdos just to get mad at them
There seems to be an infinite supply of would-be manosphere influencers, but who knows how many of them are actually making a living doing it? There seems to be an infinite supply of Twitter guys with a statue avatar, an ebook, a newsletter, and not a single picture of themselves.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I promise to read that if you punctuate it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

drat horror queefs posted:

Nobody posts here because they're super well adjusted.
As opposed to, what, the extremely normal and well adjusted people on Twitter and TikTok? I'm pretty sure people who act weird online are now a majority of the population in developed countries. Or at least the United States.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
edit:dp

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"boysober"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
No but seriously, I love to put "neologisms" in "quotation marks" while referencing "Lysistrata," a "play" I read in my "freshman year."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

at this point it's 50/50 if a man is potty trained to wipe his own rear end or if he thinks doing so is gay, can you blame straight women for not wanting to deal with that
I'm with you on this one, but

tokin opposition posted:

I Had To Make Some rear end in a top hat Better
no you didn't.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

second wave feminism isnt necessarily misandrist its just old flawed ideology that tended to center itself around white bougie experience

third wave feminism sought to resolve its contradictions with critical theory and academic rigour which tends to not be popular with modern celebrity feminism since it requires reading books
My take on 2nd wave feminism is that when people are thoroughly ensconced in academia and spend too much time talking to other theorists, they start saying insane poo poo like "Trans women basically commit rape with every breath they take" without considering how that might read to someone who isn't an egghead or a psychopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If Sub Zero’s using his Animality you’ve already lost.