Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

vyelkin posted:

You give them a nice box of domestic wine as a courtesy and then make a surprised face when your bid loses to the guys who slipped an envelope of cash under the hotel door.

Who then burned down the hotel to hide the evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

I hope no one goes to this loving thing and the stadiums are half empty and silent.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

Without handing it to uncle Sepp, I get the logic behind wanting to hold a world cup in the middle east. I think there was a genuine part of him that was proud to bring the world cup to africa. But like, putting the human rights abuses and massive corruption and sportswashing to one side (very easy to do) from a logistical standpoint this was never going to work and everyone knew it as soon as they opened the envelope. Sad!

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are separating S. Africa and Qatar, if you wanted to "expand" the World Cup to the Middle East or at the very least an Islamic country, give it to Egypt. You're never going to get around the heat problem, but at least they have loving stadiums, fans, and a national team that's respectable.

Qatar was so nakedly bought and is so transparently inappropriate as a host.

Teach posted:

Sad lol.

The closer and closer this WC gets, the more and more worried I am about the organization, and other more and more saddened I am about Qatar's bid winning. I'm issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the terror group ISIL. the Qatari bid. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Including this to say that it's not surprising to me that a country that gets by on buying and abusing their way through problems doesn't have the capacity to plan ahead the way they needed to. Planning a wedding is hard if you aren't realistic and don't know what you're doing or what you need to do. Planning a World Cup is about the most complicated event you can run and they clearly never gave a poo poo about the nuts and bolts.

I sincerely hope no one goes to this stupid thing and the stadiums are embarrassingly empty.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Were those part of the mysterious hovering A/C systems that were supposed to be in place and were technically explained in no way whatsoever?

They have somehow spent more than $200 billion dollars on this nonsense (not even counting the bribes), and $10 billion on stadiums and couldn't manage to build loving roofs and AC.

Dallas Cowboys stadium was less than $2 billion and (at the time) was noted for its garish absurdity and can seat 80,000 people. You could spend half that price on a less absurd, opulent, and big stadium, and no one in the world would blink an eye. You could build 10 of them. The commitment to outdoor stadiums and shifting schedules and everyone being miserable is so loving strange to me.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Given the hotel workers had to search youtube for "how to properly chlorinate a swimming pool without dissolving swimmers" I'm expecting something to go horribly wrong in at least one of the stadiums during the tournament.

I said it above, but it's not easy to plan and run a wedding or a family reunion. Qatar has NEVER organized something like this as a country and have a leadership class of lazy rich layabouts who aren't interested in work. This is going to be a loving disaster. I half expect a fan riot or stampede that kills people at some event or game at some point.

Famethrowa posted:

imagining that thing losing power and crushing 90k people

Again, we've had A/C for 80 years. This is so inexplicable.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, nevermind ACs. We've had "surface that creates shade" for thousands of years. Its called a roof.

You're not wrong, but humidity in the Gulf States is loving brutal. There's no fixing the unfixable problems of committing to having games outside in Qatar.

I remember in 1994 where there was a lot of complaints (from European times) about playing games in southern states in the US because of the heat. But in Qatar the entire country is like Miami.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Works better in north America where the stadiums often have giant empty parking lots next to them though

They built these stadiums from completely nothing. They could make space to do whatever the gently caress they want.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Grimson posted:

this is the one thing im curious about and might get me to watch a game or two, otherwise im firmly in the boycott and ignore bucket

Based on the parade I fully expect them to fill seats with "workers."

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1592147541524885504?s=20&t=nxrY-9YFRWf6nrelI5tAxg

the Qatari royal family doesn’t want beer served near uhhhh other concession points and didn’t tell anyone until 2 days ago

Remember this is all so a bunch of lovely bureaucrats could take a few million in bribes (and then go to prison).

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

To add to this, someone pointed this out, but there isn't a single woman in the parade. There isn't a single club shirt. There isn't a single older style, "throwback" or retro shirt.

You can teach anyone a chant or a song. You can't fake things like "women."

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

Lmao I forgot about the ticket app that requires permission to delete content on your phone and make calls from your device remotely. Just normal app stuff

That they made obligatory to go to games AFTER they sold tickets

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

This is just embarrassing. Surely they could have just subsidised flights so actual fans could have come? Or is it that there's no space for them so that shipping container fan accomodation is just repainted workers digs?

You can't force someone to get on a plane and spend 2 weeks in a hellhole like Qatar.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Weaponized Cum posted:

Ecuador simply isn't used to playing in such altitude

That air is going to feel chewable compared to Quito.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Dell_Zincht posted:

How do you air condition an entire stadium?

???

There are tons of air conditioned stadiums. You just need to enclose them.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

whypick1 posted:

It's actually rather shocking there isn't a crypto sponsor for this event since the two seem made for each other.

Oil and natural gas are actual things with actual value. They don't bother with funny money.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

FullLeatherJacket posted:

yeah, I don't mean in the sense that they're literally immediately packing up and heading home after seeing how terrible qatar are despite being competitive in the gold cup

but two, maybe three, of those teams could be bounced out after the group stage and then it's just a bunch of world cup games in front of plastic chairs

That's a rude nickname for migrant workers.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

To be fair to them, I’m guessing they reserved these accommodations based on the bill of goods they were sold. Not really their fault that after 12 years and $200b spent, the best Qatar could muster was a storage container prison camp.

They also thought so many people would come that the hotels would be utterly stuffed with people.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Elliptical Dick posted:

lol just when I thought it wouldn't get worse than 48 instead of 32 teams I find out they have made another terrible decision. Don't tell me, 2 advance out of each group to a knockout round of 32, rendering the group stage almost meaningless?

Legit yes. One less group game, more games total, but the champion will still play a max of seven games.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ilmucche posted:

didn't they send that thing out specifically saying that rainbow stuff was okay?

They said that about beer and air conditioning too.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

The crimes started almost 15 years ago when the bid went in

If people haven't listened to the World Corrupt podcast hosted by Pod Save the World, they really should.

Why do I bring this up? Well I didn't know until the podcast that back in 2010 when Qatar was selected, Obama and Biden couldn't go so they sent Attorney General Eric Holder and a small staff from the Justice Department to the ExCo meeting. The justice department reps, including a guy who had worked on organized crime in NJ, witness the blatant bribery by Qatar officials and barely concealed requests for bribes.

Then the loving morons at FIFA decided to keep their money in American banks. Apparently Eric Holder was extremely motivated to go after them after the 2010 meeting.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Forrest on Fire posted:

I don't think they really care about the US audience, and they're right not to.

Not having Germany or the UK really give a poo poo is downright amazing to me.

If you're a European fan you're getting all invested and motivated for club football, then everything comes to a stop so you can watch a flagrantly bought World Cup in an unsuitable country occur, and then you have to hope that no stars get an ACL tear when the leagues restart.

It's loving dreadful.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

EC10 posted:

wow that is a great wiki read. lmao at how owned they got

Sepp Blatter literally lost his job giving Russia and Qatar their World Cups.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Qatar will permanently be in the black because they literally have gods bounty of Liquid Gas, these gulf countries are INSANELY full of liquid cash that’s why they do this insane stuff without being overthrown the next day because they physically can’t go bankrupt and can’t be held accountable

Literally every American large event since and including the 86 Olympics has made buckets of money.

And if Qatar thinks Gulf State dick waggling is useful more power to them, but their competition is local. So what if they have more exposure than Dubai, there's no one in the stands and the whole thing is a farce.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 24, 2022

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Ya but those shenanigans only work once and gas is a fungible commodity. What was Qatar gonna do, not sell their gas and leave it in the ground? Come on.

Those deals were conveniently timed, that's all.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

joepinetree posted:

I think at some basic level Qatari rich people, more than the prestige and whatever, just want to party in the vvip room with Beckham and a few models.

All rich middle eastern rulers (and Russians) secretly want to be bigshots in London and New York. It's not enough that they're richer than God, they want the west to like them, or at the very least accept them.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Rarity posted:

Qatar suddenly very grateful we're talking about someone else's human rights record

Strong likelihood that a Qatari put it up.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

njsykora posted:

I mean to be fair it is still a locker and bench on a basic level, I don't know even in the most decked out football locker room that I've seen anything hugely over the top. Though it is always fun watching stadium tours and seeing the extremely big difference between home and away facilities. I remember watching a tour of Anfield one time and the guy straight up said they want visiting teams to feel unwelcome.

The away locker room at Iowa's football stadium has one toilet and one urinal. It's also painted a dull pink to "calm" the visitors.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

vyelkin posted:

classy stuff

https://twitter.com/Qattar_Affairs/status/1598469163235901440

(this is in response to Germany going out, referencing their earlier protest)

These loving pieces of poo poo.

If you want a stronger argument for why we need to shift away from fossil fuels, it's these worthless fucks.

And not that this really means anything, but their horrible team with purchased talent was the first one eliminated.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

If the yardstick is "for an Arab country" it's still a tremendous embarrassment and waste of money. If that was the criteria give it to loving Egypt or Morocco (who has wanted it for decades).

I'm sorry, games were mostly good, great final, but gently caress Qatar.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 18, 2022

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

If you thought qatar was bad for human rights wait till you find out what egypt and morocco are like!

Those places have actual citizens doing things and working, rather than becoming a new class of worthless idle rich.

No Arab country is going to be beacons of acceptance or "Western values." But at least Egypt and Morocco don't subsist on actual legalized slavery .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

EEKA GEEK posted:

They 100% whacked him. They couldn't let the truth about rainbow shirts get out, or something idk

Ya this is what got me. They were always going to get away with it because they don't care and the ones that do care about money more.