Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

qsvui posted:

Dunno know if it counts as a team, but a few chess.com goons are in Keep Your Fork

I've joined both of these, nice to have a catalogue of goon players and hey maybe one day I'll feel the urge to play rapid games.

Thanks for the nice shiny new OP hand knit!

e: There is also a friendly chess Discord so here is a permanent invite link if anyone wants to join https://discord.gg/hqsRZs4MVh

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
As long as it's a daily with 1-day move timers I'm down.

I joined a big 5-day tournament without really thinking it through and might reach the second round at some point next year

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Jerry (chessnetwork) is a bit soft spoken for my taste but his soothing voice has put my toddler to sleep so now I can go do some actual work, thanks Jerry!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Those links don't let me play the puzzles through to confirm so I'm just going to have to risk looking like an idiot here... isn't Rc1 in the second puzzle just instant mate?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spokes posted:

oh yeah, i should have just posted little screenshots. once you click on it you'll see the other side make their first move (in this case it's 1. Bd3)

Oh that makes sense, I do play on chess.com and should have remembered they usually show the opponent moving first. I guess it just doesn't work on mobile for some reason :shrug:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
It's a trade-off, as you note. Generally you probably want to push h3/h6 as a matter of course until you're confident you can see back rank mate threats in advance and create the luft (which can be g3/g6 or some other move if the situation warrants) at the right moment.

Aman spends a lot of time in building habits dealing (or failing to deal) with threats that try to exploit the h3 weakness, and that's stuff worth learning.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Redmark posted:

That reminds me that when I was in grade school and we played chess as kids who weren't particularly engaged, for whatever reason every single game started as a Ruy Lopez. So I always thought of it as the Default Layman Opening. But it turns out that the Italian seems significantly more popular online, so shows what I know about chess :v:

No, the Ruy was what everyone played at my school too. I was surprised to find when I started actually studying chess this year that it's considered a sharp and highly theoretical line.

Redmark posted:

When I have the black pieces, most games start 1. e4 and the opponent often blitzes out a bunch of moves which I presume are theory and takes an advantage out of the opening.
But when I'm white, a lot of games go like 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. e4 and then the opponent starts spending time thinking (sometimes straight up blundering right after).

Does 1. d4 not get played very often at this level?

...and nowadays I too play queen's gambit as white and most often go with 3. e4 if they accept. I find the opening does well for me but I need to check over my games properly to see exactly what lines are finding success.

I know I hate playing vs the semi-slav so that's what I go for if someone plays QG against me.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 4, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Amanda Huggensuck posted:

Anyone want to play a daily correspondence game on chess.com? My username is REustace and I hover between 1250 and 1350. I have an entire day to make a move and still make them instantaneously no matter how hard I try not to.

I'm currently just over 1300 daily on chess.com so sounds like a good match-up! I'm Maugrimmau on there

E: looking at your rating for other modes I suspect you're decently better than me so I'll just have to rely on the aforementioned instantaneous decision making to give me a chance

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 10, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

oh no computer posted:

On chess.com there's a link to get a 7 day free trial of their premium plans, but I already had a trial about 9 months ago. Is the link for a free trial always there and therefore if I try to get another one I'll get charged, or do they just offer free trials periodically? Has anyone here had more than 1? I don't want to accidentally get stung for $80 or whatever.

I think that always appears. I did the trial and as soon as I cancelled it the banners turned up again

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The answers I usually see bandied about are slower time controls, analyse your games, and do puzzles/puzzle rush every day. Just mindlessly bashing out more games or faster games won't help you improve at spotting tactics or analysing positions, it seems.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Baronash posted:

When I win, I never get to enjoy it because the evaluation pops up and I made 6 blunders and only pulled off a win because my opponent made 7.

This is literally what chess is about, you win when you make fewer and/or less bad mistakes than your opponent.

As you get better the kinds of mistakes you and your opponent make will change but the engine will still call you an idiot for them

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I try not to rely on the analysis board TOO much as it becomes a habit/crutch, but I find it's a good learning experience to see how complicated positions can pan out after a bunch of exchanges. And then you get to make an almost computer-like, seemingly pointless king move because you realise that after the simplification he could potentially be in the line of fire.

The opening book for daily games has been my main tool for learning all the different openings. I check out what opening it says we're playing and go look up the theory/main lines on simplifychess or whatever and pick one that appeals.

E: also you can report people for "poor sportsmanship" on chess.com if they are stalling out a clearly lost position - that offence is specifically mentioned in their help section although it's probably the least serious of the offences there and unlikely to result in action unless they're doing it in every game they play.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 20, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'd say more like 1700/500

If you're just doing rated puzzles they do throw a variety of ratings at you, and you get better rating gains for successfully solving ones higher than your own rating etc. But I think it's supposed to be within a certain range of your own current rating so yeah :iiam:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Castles roosting on an open file
Black knights nipping at your pawns
Wayward queens being hung without trial
On chessboards like manicured lawns
Everybody knows a queen and bishop in a row
Help to make opponents sweat
Tiny clergy in their fianchetto
Will find it hard to dodge the threat

They know that bishop's on his way
To pin them to a rook and take them away
And that weakened king is gonna wait
For a pawn and queen in a lobster-pincer mate

Now I'm offering this simple phrase
To players from 300 to 2070
Although it's been played many times, many ways
Don't push f6 or f3

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

fart simpson posted:

now THIS is a win. eastern bullet arena ftw!

I was like "where the gently caress is White's king?" For a full ten seconds there. The worst skin.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

fisting by many posted:

chess.com please stop making daily puzzles with the solution being "black just loving blunders into M2". Thanks.

If you're talking about today's "happy birthday Tatev" one, I'm not sure how they're supposed to avoid mate? You can delay it one move by saccing the queen I guess.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

fisting by many posted:

I was referring to the Sunday puzzle

The first move seems obvious, grab the hanging piece, but it's impossible to see the continuation from there because the continuation is black making consecutive blunders and throwing the game.

So I'm staring at this puzzle like "Ok white seems to be winning here but... what happens next... what's the trick... how is this a sunday puzzle :confused: "

Okay I've found the one you're talking about. Weirdly in my calendar it's down as a Monday puzzle (the 10th), must be some time zone shenanigans. But wow yeah that's a poo poo puzzle.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The ending was :discourse:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Possibly it helps to see the pawn as effectively pinned by the fork threat. What do you do with a pinned piece - attack it. And they have no way to defend it so you're winning the pawn at absolute minimum as well as cracking open their defensive structure.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm a returning chess player who's been blown away by the amount of resources online these days. I was in a chess club in high school, play some with my partner, but recently taught my 4yo how to play and that got me back into the game in a more serious way. I had been hesitant to play against randos online since I'm not that strong but after a crash course in lichess's puzzles to help shake the cobwebs off I secured my first online win. Yes, I made several mistakes upon review and yes, my victory is mainly because the other guy blundered their queen but a W is a W. It felt particularly nice since the game before was a very humbling mate in 9 moves that left me wondering if I should even bother with opponents that aren't baby bots or literal babies.

I really enjoy what I'm getting out of the quick "find the best move" puzzles, I don't know how I made it this far without really clocking that they exist. It helps to have a computer there to correct you and rank you.

Welcome back to the game. I think there are a number of people with similar stories, myself included - former school/club players lured back by lockdown and/or the Queen's Gambit Netflix show. Being able to watch IMs/GMs on YouTube crushing games whilst explaining their thinking in depth is the kind of thing you just couldn't get back in the day without hiring a personal coach.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
ChessNetwork is notably soft-spoken and has a good series of videos on beginner to master that it sounds like you'd get a lot out of.

Daniel Naroditsky also has a gentle teaching style and his masterclass speedrun videos cover a lot of good stuff.

I find GothamChess makes for good entertainment but his analyses go too fast to be very useful to me.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

jesus WEP posted:

it was a daily game and dude has 90-100% accuracy most every game (around 1100 rating on chess.com)

How are they only 1100 with those accuracies, have they just not played many yet?

As others have said you can report and let chess.com's algorithms take a look at it, they are supposed to be decent at detecting this stuff.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Nice game. That ending double pin is beautiful. I rarely end up feeling comfortable playing fianchettoed positions so I've never even considered going King's Indian as white.

On the subject of openings we're not comfortable with, this is the first time I've felt in control playing against the London system - I used the line recommended in the Chessbrah building habits series, and it felt like my opponent was extremely constrained after the queen exchange while I could storm down the queenside at leisure. This was a daily game albeit against a lower-rated opponent.

E: let's see if this works
https://lichess.org/TJUxrhri/black

[WhiteElo "1222"]
[BlackElo "1372"]
1. d4 d5 2. Bf4 c5 3. e3 Nf6 4. c3 Nc6 5. Nf3 Qb6 6. Qb3 c4 7. Qxb6 axb6 8. Na3
Ra5 9. Ne5 e6 10. Be2 Bxa3 11. bxa3 Rxa3 12. Bg5 Rxc3 13. O-O b5 14. Rfc1 Ne4
15. Rxc3 Nxc3 16. Bf3 Nxe5 17. dxe5 b4 18. h3 b5 19. a3 b3 20. Bd1 b2 21. Rb1
Nxb1 22. Bc2 Nxa3 0-1

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 3, 2022

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Obfuscation posted:

Speaking of brilliant moves, I was pretty happy that I found the tactic in this position despite being garbage at chess. Feels like a move that's obvious when you see the position as a puzzle but it would have been easy to miss this in the game.

(White to move and win.)

Is it Nxe5, leading to e.g. Rxf1 Qxf1 and black has to give up the rook to prevent mate? If so that's a really nice move, took me a while to spot.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The one time I've had a brilliant move was a really obvious one pinning my opponent's queen to the king, but the engine had calculated a counter to it for my opponent, but if you went to high enough depth it turned out there was a counter to the counter that would leave me ahead. Of course I'd definitely calculated all that and not just gone "pin queen to king win queen durrr"

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

jiggerypokery posted:

So if I resign after 1.e4 I can, infact, own 1.e4. I look forward to seeing you all in court.

Fine by me, I only play 1.d4

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
NFTs, loving hell. I'm enrolled in a couple of long running daily tournaments on chess.com that I hate to abandon but it's not like I'm paying for membership at least. I guess it's time I started playing properly on lichess. Does it have a decent pool of daily/correspondence players and user-organised custom tournaments?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
- Solve chess puzzles daily to train your ability to spot tactics. Doesn't have to be long, 10-15 mins

- Play longer, rapid (10 mins) or even daily games, as endless bullet/blitz doesn't help you improve much

- Watch youtube videos by strong players, Daniel Naroditsky's speed run playlists are excellent and ChessNetwork's beginner to master playlist explains some useful concepts.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

I had somehow not seen this before, nice

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Thanks for that, really cute puzzle. Knowing in advance that there's only one square the king can be on helps with working it out because you realise it must have had to capture something otherwise there's multiple options

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I wonder if you're reading the notation Nxd5 and assuming "d5" means a pawn because that's how pawn moves are notated

It's not necessarily intuitive if you used to use old style notation (NxB) back in the day, but this is how algebraic notation works. The piece on d5 is a bishop and it's telling you to exchange your knight for it.

Also in algebraic notation the letters and numbers are absolute and don't correspond to different squares depending if you're playing black or white, like "N-K4" did. Look at the little numbers and letters on the edge of the board.

Sorry if I'm wrongly assuming. I learnt chess from books written in the old notation and took a bit of time to adapt.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 16, 2022

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yeah. Qd5 is the only move that would protect the rook but that blunders mate in 1.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Lol you're right, I saw Rxc3 while trying to figure it out and then forgot about it, shameful. Anyway listen to Hand Knit, he's the strongest player here (FM I think?)

What site are you playing on? You can probably find a way to display and play out the lines the computer is thinking of.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
It's an endgame so I'd be considering f3 instead of h3 to give my king a faster path to the middle.

I'm just about to reach the final 5 (:awesomelon:) of a 222-player daily tournament I started back in October. Really feel like I've improved in the last 6 months but I still haven't got up the courage to play rapid or blitz!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Can I have an invite too please? Assuming it's not completely dead.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Tyvm

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I thought we created this thread with the idea of discussing major tournaments in it as well as general chess since there's not so much activity it's worth making them separate.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing candidates discussion here. But if anyone makes a new thread please link!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

kalensc posted:

Oh hey, a chess thread, neat!

Any chance I could get a code?

Try https://discord.gg/Q3yaz8Ep

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Rook and King becomes super easy once you see the vertical and horizontal lines from your rook as physical bars preventing the passage of the enemy king. Just need to trap him in a smaller and smaller cell while your king bodyblocks him into a corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Helianthus Annuus posted:

code:
3r2k1/3p1ppp/p3p2B/4P3/7P/6Q1/q4PP1/4n1K1 b - - 1 27
from one of my blitz games: black to move win.

also from my blitz game: it's not g6 :roflolmao:

Is it 1. ... Nf3+ 2. gxf3 Qb1+ 3. Kh2 Qg6 forcing either queen trade or loss of bishop?