Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

Just to be clear, if you were wrongfully identified as a cheater, you would not submit a written confession to chess.com that you cheated. So even in the hypothetical, this isn't adding up to the original claim.

I mean, if I was falsely hit, I’d probably just confess to get unbanned. Probably way faster/easier than getting them to admit they hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

My own analysis has shown a strong correlation between Hans rise in rating and the world going to poo poo with increasingly absurd world events.

Check mate.

Has anyone searched Hans for Monkey's Paws?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Omnikin posted:

I'm a poo poo level player, but one trying to get a little better. I can play any other online games, board games, video games, anything... maybe a little toxic at Rocket League but that's about as bad as I get.

Chess makes me loving rage like noone's business. It's literally stopped me from playing more often in anonymous online matches because I get so drat frustrated

Not sure I'm looking for tips or validation or anything, just venting. I've been able to rip off a small smattering of daily 3min games online lately, just trying to slowly build up a resistance.

I find that playing longer, more thought out games helps a lot. Fast blitz games just make the tilt spiral so much faster and more easily

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hans heard people saying Magnus handled the situation in the dumbest way possible, and he took that as a challenge.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Control Volume posted:

107. Many people have stated they do not like me and do not want me playing

:vince:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

A double check, a queen sac, and a (sort of) smothered mate, beautiful....

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rooney McNibnug posted:

- Someone (who I think English was a second language for) just spamming "FASTER!" in and "STUPID!" in the chat after every single move I made

don't doxx me

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

Whats the followup after Kh3?

You’ve got two rooks and a pawn for the queen, and the king is now stuck in a corner, with ng4 threatening mate. I think white is looking pretty dire even if they can hold onto the queen there.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Its a Rolex posted:

Here's one that looks like I trade equally but the analysis puts it at a pretty clear advantage towards black at the end.

Solution: Qxd6, xd6, Nxf3, which is where the puzzle "ends". The next move seems pretty to be xf3 as the analysis suggests, which leaves me roughly where I started: a knight up. but because we've both lost Q,N, my extra knight is relatively a larger advantage. Is there something *about* this position that's particularly good, or is it just that my relative advantage is much better because I traded equally and maintained an extra knight?

White king position isn't great but it seems like there's still time to open up space so the king isn't easily checked/blocked by the rook

E- it looks like the "tag" associated with this one is "Simplification"

In addition to simplifying and opening up the enemy king, you're also winning a pawn in the end.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It’s probably the same garbage methodology they use to give percentage chances teams win in other sports; they fed it into an ML model that is basically a random number generator at this point and plastered it everywhere without putting any thought into it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Give each player a fully stocked kitchen, complete with a stove right next to the board.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

White opens with the Ruy Lopez and a lovely ceviche appetizer, and black responds with the Berlin and a flavorful lobster bisque.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Chamale posted:

After ...Rd2, if White takes the rook, Black gets a queen. If white goes 2. Ke1, Black replies with c2 to kill White's rook but keep its own.

after ...rd2 2. rxd2 cxd2 3. ke2 stops black from queening

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Apparently I’m a master :smug:

(I am definitely not a master, I just happened to notice the right things here, I guess)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

fisting by many posted:

Darn, missed this tactic in game. Well, I saw it, but was too low on time to calculate and went with a safer option. Black to mate.

A cute little knight dance, over your own queen's grave

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

this stupid one that starts with 1. b4 2. Bb2.

Isn't that just the Polish opening? Afaik it's perfectly fine as far as openings go, especially at that level...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

rb2+ ka1 rc2+ kb1 rb8+ looks like it’s mate after the bishop/knight block

E: ah wait, that just hangs a rook

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

If you’re going to learn anything about openings, learn to counter the Scholar’s Mate. It’s satisfying as hell to see some idiot go for it, and then effortlessly deal with it.

Made even better by the fact that most people who play the Scholar’s Mate collapse immediately when it doesn’t work.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

former glory posted:

I would blow that so hard.

:same:, but as either side

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

fisting by many posted:

Cool daily puzzle on lichess today (Black to play)
https://lichess.org/training/ALBny

who needs another queen, when I could have a knight instead?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It looks like the c3 pawn just isn't very valuable, and white's king getting active is very valuable, so white can just abandon the former in the name of the latter.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

My bet is on them seeing a phantom knight still on g1

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

If I was allowed to choose the moves for both sides, these puzzles would be a whole lot easier

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I think that is the most bullied I've ever seen a queen be...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I actually find the old notation way easier to follow. I also already mentally think of spaces like e5 as "black's e4," though, so I might just Intuit these things kinda weirdly.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I think engines are usually programmed to underpromote when they can, as a joke

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

khazar sansculotte posted:

This is a famous endgame study that was thought to be a draw until someone realized there was an underpromotion tactic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saavedra_position

There's also a trap in the Albin Countergambit featuring an underpromotion on move 7: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albin_Countergambit,_Lasker_Trap

While we're talking about endgame studies, I'm working through Yusupov's books and came across this composition by Rinck. Took me about half an hour to solve. White to move:

ng5+ king moves, nxf3. C2 is then met with ng1, and they can't promote because stalemate, giving you time to play ne2 and guard the promotion square.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

lol Magnus is commenting drunk.

The return of Dr. Drunkenstein

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

khazar sansculotte posted:

OK here's another one just to start Building Habits. This is a famous tactic but worth seeing again even if you already have.

FEN: 5rk1/pp4pp/4p3/2R3Q1/3n4/2q4r/P1P2PPP/5RK1 b - - 0 1
link

I don't get it. This is clearly winning without any tactics...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I mean, the best move is very difficult to find, but I guess it's a pretty basic puzzle from the perspective that even if you just go "my queen is attacked, I should move it" you still end up with a winning position.

That still doesn't make it a good puzzle, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I decided to play chess because a DJ I like plays it and her videos got me interested. Turns out the DJ thing is her side hustle. Anyway, is there anyone new or beginning on chess.com that would be interested in learning together? Apparently I have a "400" rating by virtue of making an account.

You should probably play some matchmaking games, to figure out where you actually stand first