Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think my brain would actually only go crack ping if it came out that the blair government wasn't 90% nonce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The new labour new danger billboards were right but for all the wrong reasons

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
How many of Blair's cabinet got Operation Ore'd?

On the topic are there any good longform articles or documentaries/podcasts on Ore and what went on with it. It seemed to fizzle out quickly so presumably the police either badly hosed it or it implicated the wrong people (or both I guess).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Operation Ore was more about accusing people who used the same credit card processing server as a pedo site of being nonces until they killed themselves because the pigs couldn't read a set of logs the US sent them.

As always, never anything touching high society.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm on Day 6 (but I think really Day 7) and yeah just have low-level back ache and a mild cough but honestly it's fine. My O2 sats never really dropped below 98, though I've occasionally gotten wild HR spikes to like 110bpm when I'm just watching TV, which was a bit unsettling but ultimately ok

i didn't know babestation was still on the go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :newlol:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Had a good snowy Christmas in Finland

Hope y'all have an even awesomer new year, and maybe this covid bullshit will get better too :comfyoot:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

i didn't know babestation was still on the go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :newlol:

kids these days dont even know

Anyway, people have been posting their Worst Tweets of the year, and somehow I missed this absolute belter:

https://twitter.com/eddiemarsan/status/1373242851677634563

Eternal Sunshine Of The Centrist Mind

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

How many of Blair's cabinet got Operation Ore'd?

On the topic are there any good longform articles or documentaries/podcasts on Ore and what went on with it. It seemed to fizzle out quickly so presumably the police either badly hosed it or it implicated the wrong people (or both I guess).

Duncan Campbell was the first journalist to ring the alarm on it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20090623014629/http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/74690/operation-ore-exposed/page3.html

However the rest of it went very low-key when they realised just how badly Plod had hosed up, and as it sits in the weird internet dark age between the internet starting to go mainstream and the dotcom crash - where we lost absolutely shitloads of sites and their archives - it's a bit hard to piece together at this remove.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

big scary monsters posted:

I like to think of the War on Christmas as an eternal fight where every year on December 25th* the Avatar of Christmas is symbolically defeated and has to go back to its shadowy nether realm**, ready to return late the next year to battle it all out again.

*in the UK. Victory in Europe can be anywhere from December 6th to early January depending on country.

**Finland, since Santa canonically lives in Rovaniemi.

... that's getting a cultural reference impressively wrong.

According to Finnish tradition, Santa lives on Korvatunturi, ever guarding the eastern border. Rovaniemi is a tourist trap full of the worst gammons, according to people who have had the misfortune of living there.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Everything is explained fully in the documentary Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Hi thread, foregoing my usual OCD/masochistic need to read every single drat post in here (so fukkin many...) to wish you all a splendid New Year.
Have a blast, don't catch plague, be kind to each other.

RIP to icon and star April Ashley - who I narrowly escaped appearing in a video with back in the early 80s. I was lending the film crew some of my stage lights to use and the very drunk director got it in his head that tall, long-haired, bearded me would look good in a red velvet ballgown. Was trying to think of an escape when there was a quiet "Ahem" from behind us. Turned around and there was April resplendent in her own red velvet ballgown, she gave him a look and said witheringly "No. I don't think so." Total goddess.
Fine with me, crew don't do stage.

To celebrate her and all like her, have a banging song by another fabulous star in the trans firmament from back in the day, the incredible, one and only Jayne County. Still kicking it. I once found myself standing next to Jayne at the bar after a gig a friend put on, I was far too starstruck to say anything though. Wish I had. As is often the case she was terrifying on stage but reportedly a real honey off it.

I am also convinced that the secret reason Glinner and all the other current rabid male anti-trans nuts are quite so loving crazy is that, even if they don't know it exists, they all share a deep unconscious knowledge that the only answer they could possibly give to this song is a resounding No.
Play loud. See ya next year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a75IwL7btw

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I had an idea pop into my head about 45 minutes ago, and for some reason I felt I had to create it, so here you go.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Have a Happy New Year everyone, i'm for watching Kill Bill Vol 1 then sleep. :tootzzz:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm ending 2021 as I spent far too much of it, watching Japanese wrestling. I will also be starting 2022 as I intend to go on, watching Japanese wrestling. So I will watch the end of this Stardom show, then catch a SEAdLINNNG show from the same day. There's a ZERO1 show that starts at 2:30am so I may as well watch that live, then go sleep for a few hours (I already napped after dinner) in time for Pro Wrestling NOAH starting at 7am.

2021 has been weird. The world is obviously on fire in a variety of exciting ways, from the pandemic we've just given up on taking seriously to the clearly obvious fact that capital is too driven by short-termism to do anything about climate change until the impacts directly impact them, which is stupid but very on-brand to the massive corruption in government & the rampant & growing inequality at the heart of neoliberalism. But all that said it's not actually been a bad year for me on a personal level. Nothing remarkable, just steady getting on but any year where depression stays down is a good one. I miss getting to go to gigs & am long past the point where seeing my non-local friends is very desirable but gently caress, I'm healthy, my other family members are healthy, we're getting by, the other things are small-fry compared to that.

So, hope 2022 is at least as decent as 2021 on a personal level, and much better in a wider social sense, & that the new year is good for all the goons I bore & annoy & even very occasionally amuse. And may we all continue posting badly.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Watching the antivax covid crowd split is fun
https://twitter.com/CallOutPotato/status/1477005826195959815

This was in relation to ex UKIP candidate and funeral director influencer's interview, after mysteriously going down with a virus that he was claiming didn't exist but which saw him in hospital.

https://tapnewswire.com/2021/12/john-olooney-talks-from-his-hospital-bed/

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Happy New Year UKM...

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1477045316553789444
Oh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Happy New Year, friends, thanks for the advice and support in general, you've been great.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Man, I was hoping the Queen would hold out until she died by refusing him a knighthood. Sad

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You don't have to call him "Sir Tony" they can't make you

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

For a moment "Tony Blair, the Duchess of Cornwall" didn't register as part of a list.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sir Tony Blair is a cartoon animal on the front of a children's cereal box

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Selective Sirtony Reelection Inhibitor

forkboy84 posted:

Man, I was hoping the Queen would hold out until she died
That may well be why "Appointments are usually made in April, but they have been brought forward this year."

Can't feel too torn up about Blair being appointed to an elite group started by someone who lied to start wars.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

What a way to curse the incoming year

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You can call him Tony Tiny Tits instead, because of his small nipples

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Their own founding myth is about stealing women's undergarments, so he just wants to be in a frat with George Jr.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

josh04 posted:

What a way to curse the incoming year

No, that's finding out at the same time that Betty White has died.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
gently caress OOOOOOFFFFFF

can't fuckin TAKE MUCH MORE :mad:

(hny!!)

(Happy New Year)!!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/NDevonHospice/status/1477044658656194562

It's good he's getting used to his forever home. More youth should have realistic life goals.

(seriously though, he's raised a ton of money. hats off to him)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!

Failed Imagineer posted:

You can call him Tony Tiny Tits instead, because of his small nipples

Post the pic

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/NDevonHospice/status/1477044658656194562

It's good he's getting used to his forever home. More youth should have realistic life goals.

(seriously though, he's raised a ton of money. hats off to him)

Normal Island

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i hope that utter ratbag gets a kidney stone every month for the rest of his sorry life and just gets the worst case of piles ever known to man

forever-piles :mad:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

endlessmonotony posted:

... that's getting a cultural reference impressively wrong.

According to Finnish tradition, Santa lives on Korvatunturi, ever guarding the eastern border. Rovaniemi is a tourist trap full of the worst gammons, according to people who have had the misfortune of living there.

I'm sorry, but I've been to the Rovaniemi Christmas village and they quite explicitly say that they have the real and genuine Santa Claus there. I chose not to meet him, though.

e: Covid/cold chat, I had a cold a couple months back before people were talking about Omicron and it knocked me right on my arse. Can't recall the last time I felt so poo poo. I don't know whether it was a particularly nasty strain or whether I just had forgotten what getting ill felt like, but it didn't have any covid-like symptoms at all and I tested negative so I assume it was not that.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 1, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that tent lad maybe just really wanted somewhere private to enjoy himself properly imo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

that tent lad maybe just really wanted somewhere private to enjoy himself properly imo

:gooncamp: for charity

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!

What a post to end the year with

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

January thread title right there

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ross_Greer/status/1477061324656058368?t=oS333YnGXAySJp1JZubcmA&s=19

Green MSP is reading all the Horus Heresy books and that is hilarious to me.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

big scary monsters posted:

I'm sorry, but I've been to the Rovaniemi Christmas village and they quite explicitly say that they have the real and genuine Santa Claus there. I chose not to meet him, though.

I have bad news about your salt content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Happy new year everyone. Hope this one is better