Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

investigation over two anti-transphobia tweets posted last year.

Smh it's like getting investigated over saying "all Nazis should be shot and hanged."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

That's probably not gonna keep up is it (the lack of crying i mean)?

Currently crashing due to just getting 4 hours of sleep last night, but felt like it was worth it.

Grats fellow spawn-haver!

They're going to be quiet for the first few days to weeks until their senses start to come online properly, then the fun begins.

Before that they're only going to cry when they're unhappy so if they're quiet it's good.

Get all the sleep you can, when you can. The adrenaline lasts about a month or so and this is a marathon.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't know I had an NHS profile.

It's got the login codes for all the 5g nanobots you got injected with this year.

Wait till you see what happens when you turn off all the limiters. :ssj:

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 4, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

When you log in to your NHS account and download your covid passport it has the batch numbers and everything else there. The piece of paper is pointless. Like how would they even contact everyone else?

I'm guessing its a paper receipt in case NHS IT fails as it is a bastion of reliability which is supremely well understood and has never killed anyone because the appointment system failed to talk to the letter system and some cancer patient ended up waiting for months for an appointmented which never materialized.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So long as they start with removing the passports of all the tory ministers and MPs who take drugs first.

They'll just pass a law retroactively making it legal to take cocaine if you're a MP.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

The problem with a 'failsafe' ID card is that routine interactions are focussed on establishing that somebody has the card, not on establishing their ID. At the moment people can muddle through with utility bills and bank cards as well as passports. With a specific ID Card, it'll end up as the sort of situation where if someone gets mugged, has their house burn down, or posts their ID off to get their details updated, and they suddenly can't do anything because they don't have the one magic card. Provisional driving licences aren't always accepted as ID, for reasons that nowhere has been able to articulate.

We're getting this way with 2 factor authentication. I can't access my email or bank account without my mobile phone, and I've often wondered what would happen if it broke. The point of failure there wouldn't be that I can't prove my identity, it's that I lack a physical thing. If voter ID laws are passed, I bet there will be newspaper articles about people being disenfranchised because there's been a delay in driving licence/passport renewals or something, and the polling station won't accept anything else as valid.

Link your card to your biometrics and every time you use it to verify your identity you get your thumbprint scanned.

Makes replacing them easy as well unless you've managed to burn off your prints.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

Just want to pick people's brains on how likely an acquaintance is likely to get back into the country - he chose to fly back to the states for a family funeral.

He's American, and arrived here on a spousal visa with his wife (originally American, now has an EU nationality) in 2016. I'm presuming it got renewed sometime in 2018.

They split up in the covid times, and he finally, just under a year later moved out of the flat (via A&E ) and onto the sofa of a mutual friend.

Whilst the wife didn't tell the HO that they've split up, I can't see her bothering to have renewed the visa again, and I think it would have expired sometime this year.

He found a job in July (as a cleaner, so it's neither well paid nor 'skilled'), but I don't think it qualifies for a working visa. He's also still living on a sofa rather than having a permanent home.

Best case really is that he decides to stay in the states and we ship his various belongings to him, but if he decides to come back, is he likely to be able to get back in?

Cat Tax

He should have a biometric residence permit/BRP. If it says it's valid then it's valid unless the ex-wife has decided to gently caress him. if it's expired the either he applies for a renewal abroad or he gets deported at the border.

Once you actually have a visa it's actually pretty clear cut what you are/aren't allowed to do.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

From the Graun:

This seems a bit weird to me. How could they not culture bacteria from the tissue samples? Were they drunk when taking the samples? Did they accidentally sample a nearby cow?

TB is notoriously difficult to culture even if you take samples from a living human. It takes 6 weeks and you might still get gently caress all.

The more active the disease is, the more bacteria are present and the more likely you are to get a positive culture. Unfortunately TB has a habit of being walled off in little granulomas all over the place which do not make culture easy.

The TB tests usually look for antibodies which is a lot easier than finding the organism.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Red Oktober posted:

The only parties she’s been to have been ones she’s followed behind a rush of uniforms yelling POLICE POLICE.

If Terminator May was still PM I bet we would have done better if only because she couldn't have resisted implementing the China protocol and welding everyone with a positive PCR into their homes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

May has diabetes that can send her into a coma, which in all fairness is worse than diabetes that does not, no matter what the label on it is, or how she got it.

They can both send you into a coma for different reasons and they also both suck.

Type I is massively more difficult to manage though since it involves insulin. If you feed the beast regularly and well there's no reason you should run into problems. But if you're prone to making bad decisions, having altered mental states or sometimes just flat out incapable of handling the maths then it's gonna suuuuuck.

A HIV consultant once told me that if they had to have one or the other they would pick HIV every time. You're gonna be on drugs for the rest of your life either way but at least with HIV if you pop the pills every day you will be fine.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Let's cut the moralistic 'good/bad decisions' patter shall we.

Tbh, if you haven't worked out how to work your insulin around your drink and drugs and pizza huts you're doing it wrong, imho

It's not a moralistic right/wrong, it's the reality of it as I am sure you're well aware.

Some people can barely get the concept of a basal bolus, or that a reading of <4 on a fingerprick is bad.

If you're smart enough to figure out how to manage your insulin between your weed, booze and cocaine hits then more power to you but not everyone has a PhD in diabetes.

It's a minority of patients on a diabetes ward who have genuinely difficult to control disease. Most of the time its difficult circumstances.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

To cut a very long story short, language matters here, and diabetes is a condition that is so constantly moralised that implicitly shifting 'blame' to individuals by talking about 'good/bad decisions' reinforces very toxic attitudes towards people living with it, whatever type. People decide to do what they will, often for very good reasons (because positive biomedical results are only one potential 'good' outcome), and this is often perfectly legitimate in their own subjective context. Saying that a decision is 'bad' is extremely reductionist and contribute towards exactly the kind of discourse around health that we really need to move past. Big parallels to deserving/undeserving poor etc.

Maybe not "bad" but definitely suboptimal.

There's a difference from bodily autonomy in making an informed choice about the management of your condition and simply not being able do it despite your best efforts because you can't grok the concept.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

You're talking about a workplace where all emails get irrecoverably deleted after 3 months as policy.

If Iraq had happened now it would literally be "Yes Saddam has WMDs, I received an email confirming it.

No the email has now been deleted. Sorry."

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Juche Couture posted:

(private companies are licking their lips at the thought of outsourcing for ‘waiting list reduction’, so it’s in their interests to make things worse).

I’m not a virologist or an epidemiologist. The 2 recent papers in the NEJM on booster vaccines are reason for optimism. I think the most important thing we could do right now is vaccinate the whole drat planet to reduce the rate of dangerous mutation to as low as is feasible.

The private companies are also by and large drawing from the same staffing pool as the NHS - doctor wise especially so I doubt they're going to be able to make bank since their staff are going to get conscripted if things go to poo poo again.

We should vaccinate everyone and anyone who is "voluntarily unvaccinated" should have that fact tattooed on their foreheads like the Nazis from Inglorious Basterds.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

You could say it is…galling.

It does suck. I was wondering about making private hospitals pay for post-op NHS care if needed but it would just incentivise them to leave anything remotely tricky to the NHS.

They already do this (leave the complicated stuff to the NHS).

Also if they were forced to treat the complications they would just bill the patients/insurance and you know how that's going to end.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

When McDonnell says there are antisemites in Labour and they need to be dealt with swiftly, that's proof that Labour is institutionally antisemitic, when Starmer says you just have to believe him that there aren't, that's proof that it isn't.

Can't be antisemitic if you've already purged the party of Semites! :thunk:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah I really am disturbed by the number of usually decent people apparently quite happy to entirely throw the whole principle of informed consent out of the window.

Informed consent doesn't mean what you think it does.

As long as you make it clear the consequences of not having the vaccine - catching CoViD, dying, losing your job, the consent is entirely informed.

There's nothing that says the risks and benefits of the proposed procedure have to be the slightest bit fair. You can discuss alternatives, but that's about it.

No one is going to force you to have a jab but similarly nothing is going to stop you getting sacked if you don't find a great reason why you should be excused from having it.

There's also a fair bit of anger on the frontlines about the "voluntarily unvaccinated" so I wouldn't be surprised if you get reported to your regulator by your colleagues if they find out.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Also I don't know why you would not want the vaccine if you're a patient facing staff. You're literally at highest risk of catching it.

I mean I can sorta imagine some goony computer toucher that lives on SA and Deliveroo might judge their personal risk to be minimal, but most patient facing NHS staff get coughed on regularly even before covid.

Borrovan posted:

Imo there are strong arguments that medical ethics as it is understood & practiced places undue weight on the principle of informed consent, & vaccines are the best illustration of why. However, informed consent is essentially the fundamental axiom of medical ethics as it's currently understood & practiced, & the notion that Parliament can or should just legislate ethics away because it's convenient is pretty hosed.

Luckily, this proposal doesn't do that, it's fine. J-Corbz is wrong.

How would you even legislate away informed consent in this context though? You wouldn't be forcing them to have it, just threatening them with the sack/reassignment/etc if they don't. Considering for a fair few medical procedures the consequences discussed are "death or severe disability", getting the sack is pretty minor by comparison.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 14, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
The next stage in COVID evolution is when it makes the victims go "actually vaccination and lockdowns bad" like toxoplasma.

Both Boris and Sajid have had it so that's the cerebral covid speaking.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

It frustrates me that lockdown to relieve pressure on the NHS is even an option at this point, as though there's no other possible way of dealing with it. How about pumping more resources into the NHS? How about re-opening those Nightingale hospitals that were talked up so much in the early part of the pandemic? There were scary headlines circulating around earlier about how there might soon be 2,000 Covid patients being admitted into hospital each day. loving wow. 2,000 whole patients a day, in a rich country of 60+ million people, however would we cope. Seriously, why should this be an insurmountable problem for a country that has our sort of wealth? If the only response we have to another surge in cases is to shut our whole society down again, then something's gone seriously loving wrong.

Unfortunately there are simply not enough staff in the NHS. It takes time even you poach people from abroad and good luck getting the Tories to sign off on letting a battalion of Filipino nurses and Indian doctors in.

China could do what they did with their instant giant hospitals because they bussed in staff from the rest of the country.

The best we can do short of lockdown now is to mandate Covid/vaccine passes before entry into any enclosed public space like what they do in Asia. Hell they could even feed the private grift machine by having it enforced by Serco bouncers.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Just got boosted (with Pfeizer). Although the guy didn't swab my arm before the stab, so now I'm paranoid I'm going to die of gangrene or something.

Unless you were rolling around in excrement beforehand it's fine.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

That's also a de facto 'murder all the homeless' strategy, which I'm sure the government will find deeply appealing.

Another reason for having biometric ID cards rather than IDs tied to an address.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

An example? Most parents will find themselves staring at their sleeping baby just to make sure they are still breathing. This is completely normal.
I do this. I also will sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and try to see if my baby is still breathing. Which in a dark room with no lights, is quite difficult. This is due to padt trauma. But you get used to it.

My wife used to do this. If you're really worried there are also baby monitors with an attached motion sensor pad so you get full feedback from the cot. I was cheap so I just left multiple CCTV cameras pointed at the little guy

Re: white noise - if you have a spare phone you can use an app which will cost a fiver for a lifetime subscription and be a lot handier than a cuddly toy.

There's all sorts of weird stuff out there that :capitalism: tries to convince you to buy for the baby. I can't believe the array of auto-rocking cots that's for sale.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I genuinely feel kinda bad because my mum and dad obviously really want the experience of being grandparents but neither me or my brother are remotely interested in having kids.

I can't imagine something more stressful than having to live with a fragile creature that I am fully responsible for and which also uses up all my money and free time and sleep while apparently on an endless mission to find new and exciting ways to put itself in mortal danger

OP its like Toxoplasmosis. Once you get one, you'll never look at kids the same way again.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It only costs more if you aren't allowed to summarily execute people on the streets with a single bullet then dump them at the crematorium.

If you sell off all the organs you'll make a profit.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s the story of 36 celestial stars and 72 earth stars, or as my professor called it “the story of 107 men and one woman.”

Is your professor JK Rowling. It's been a while since I read it but I'm sure there's more than just two sword lady in it. To be fair though most of the rest exist to get fridged in the background.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Skarsnik posted:

Because it says corbyn is a racist endeavour, not corbyn is a racist

Doesn't this hold as much water as "I am going to commit a heinous crime* in minecraft"?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Didn't the culling work so well in the US that they're now in a workforce shortage since a significant chunk of their working age population has either died or become invalid.

And they can't import labour because xenophobia so.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

The stats for deaths from Coronoavirus on the Guardian page has this in the graph description

Does this mean that people who have caught the virus for a 2nd time and who have a positive test registered from the 1st wont be included in the stats?

Protocol is not to re-test once you've had a positive result. They're probably doing a reverse search from date of death.

Death -> Any positive test in last 28 days?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

was his dressing gown flapping, did they see stuff

The Graun article devotes far too much space to writing about his exposed chest.

Hard-hitting climate journalism indeed.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

To be fair, he is a better choice for PM than Boris. In the same way that Biden was a better choice for President than Trump. There are very few people who belong less in the position than either of them, but in both cases one of them is/was the incumbent.

It's hard to say whether dressing gown defendent or Boris would be better.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zalakwe posted:

Perhaps we should make the tags star shaped. Would be very seasonal.

Nah it's going to be pierced through the ears.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Acceptable reasons to correct someone's grammar:

1) Person says to you "Hi, I'm learning the language still and I'd appreciate it if you corrected me when i screw up"

Unacceptable reasons:

1) Literally every other reason.

SA enforced basic grammar and punctuation - OK(ish)

4Chan - Nazis
Reddit - Pedos

QED.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

... songs in Frozen are absolute tripe...

You, me, Asda car park. Now.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Do they still do those giant flashlights with 4x D cells? Heard they were popular in the states for the "it was just my flashlight your honour!" defense when some would be mugger is clubbed halfway to death with it.

E.fb

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
:nws:Merica!:nws:

Wonder if having one of those to brain any burglars would constitute premeditation.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Far from it, when the nutcase fringe though it was brewed in a lab they saw it as their civic duty to prove 'murica is tougher than anything the dang chinee can throw at them.

E: very similar to the uk headbangers going on about their immune system. Some people seem to be taking it as a challenge.

What doesn't kill you means you recover fully or end up wit potentially life changinh chronic disease.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

^^^ I am a Dr but not the useful kind unless you need an emergency interplanetary magnetic field operation.

I understand 95-96 is ok not superfit but not worrying. It rarely goes below 95. I'm overweight but no other underlying conditions. I did lose 14kg May-Aug then regained it Sep-Nov, but the SPOX didn't change. (But there has been change occasionally so I know it's not stuck on that figure!). My pulse is the thing that really changed with weight loss/gain.

I can't remember what came with mine now in terms of instructions, it cost about £16 or so IIRC so not a super expensive one. I'm more interested in consistency than absolute values to be fair.

If you have darker skin they're a lot less reliable apparently.

PS I always use the same finger and try to get it in the same position each time. I did have bad experience with a blood pressure monitor when I had very high blood pressure about 15 years ago (solved - not with medication, diet or exercise, but by the 'simple' method of quitting work and going to live abroad). I spent £50 on a monitor at my doc's suggestion but found if I moved my arm up or down by just as little as a cm here or there, it would record my bp as being either horrifically high - like my blood was about to burst out of my vessels - or 'are you alive' low. I sent it back.

PPS I do have fun with the pulse bit though - seeing if I can lower my pulse by breathing differently or relaxing various muscles though. Can usually drop it up to 5bpm by these methods.

Anything below 98% suggests something is not quite right with your lungs. It can be perfectly "normal" (as in not something to get worked up about) if you're a current/ex-smoker or morbidly obese or have some other condition affecting your lungs. If you don't have a good explanation for it though I would definitely get it investigated.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

You can use reasonable force to defend yourself from harm in a public place without duty to retreat.
You can improvise almost anything as a weapon, but it gets sticky if there's suspicion you brought it along only to use as a weapon.
They're terrified of either the vaccine or needles or both.

I'm sure those three can fit together somehow.

After you stab them in self defense make sure to remind them to drink plenty as it helps the nanobots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I feel like stones marked "haha pedo mod" are ones we shouldn't be flinging around the Something Awful Glass House.

Did I miss something. I thought it was just "haha domestic abuser founder".