Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

EvilHawk posted:

Tory party is still not popular vote right? Gove probably is the dark horse candidate then, Truss might be popular with the rank and file but Gove was a journalist

Tory party has been popular vote as far back as I can remember atm, that's how Leadsom got to the final round against May

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

sebzilla posted:

It's internal backstabbing until the final two and then a membership poll between those two, I thought.

yeah my bad, it's american democracy rules

no idea why I keep forgetting that, but it still involves a chance michael gove requires a majority of tory membership support (unless the other candidate resigns) which is the same problem he's always had

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

kecske posted:

isn't the DWP entire expenditure like ~£180m a year? they could just hand that money out no strings to UC claimants and have it be a better investment

It's ~180bn, not m

We have something like 14m people with disabilities using the long term/limiting definition, so if all of them claimed PiP then you'd lose half of this 500m to the Christmas bonus. It's a full quarter of the realistic/internal government benefit fraud estimate, though

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I knew one normal person, the bil of a close friend, who worked in dwp claims under post - coalition Tories, after being let go when the university did another round of layoffs to pay for the VCs latest six figure pay rise. He managed to make it a few months before having to resign, but it's taken him several years to get the alcoholism he developed under any sort of control, and last we spoke he still has the night terrors. For context, Kent has one of the least-punitive benefit due to being a Tory heartland and so "deserving". We still haven't completed the UC rollout, and my lifetime dla award was transferred to pip in 2020 with minimal fuss.

When my mum's pip claim was rejected at the upper tribunal (written solidly enough that the dwp had no choice but to insist it was entirely false, and that degenerative symptoms they'd previously acknowledged either no longer existed or had never existed), the DJ came over to personally apologise, that since her unspecified neurodegenerative illness didn't have a name he didn't feel able, under current guidance, to rule a clear inconsistency between her claim rejection and the medical facts. She needed to continue to work full time, and worsened. She survived a TIA this January after her boss insisted she be driven to hospital, where they quickly performed two carotid angioplasties. Having had suspected absence seizures in the recovery period she's lost her liscence, but at least her co-workers and manager demanded she be put back on the full time contract she previously opted out of (offered that or redundancy) so she can more easily schedule lifts and plan her retirement. She was again considered fit for work this year.

I have never heard anyone with first hand experience discuss the internal culture without getting the thousand yard stare. Labour may have their own culpabilities, and may well be fully supportive of the situation, and I've no problem with anyone who won't ever vote to put Rachel Reeves in power. But the Tories are the ones who have overseen the creation of a hostile environment for both the disabled people of the uk and all of their employees with any trace of compassion or decency - I've heard conservative voting family friends mutter that the people who enjoy working there ought to be put down. I've heard someone who works in immigration enforcement claim that dwp employees aren't right in the head. gently caress the DWP, and I hope the next poor bastard completely destroyed by those psychopaths, and wanting to make one last statement, thinks long and hard about which of them should be on fire.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Is everyone complaining about sausage nonce forgetting that an actual child sex offender had a Christmas #1 called Two Little Boys

The march of incremental progress is inevitable, but nobody said it'd ever be enjoyable

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I think we probably peaked with Bob the builder tbh

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

crispix posted:

i've not experienced a drug addiction so i can't comment on that, not that that stopped that square headed bimbo oval office from flapping his gums

I don't think anyone needs lived experience of substance abuse problems to realise that "the houses of alcoholics are famously free of booze" is a dumb take

But as someone with lived experience of substance abuse problems, let me confirm it is a dumb take. One of my strongest memories of inpatient treatment was a session where staff and patients all shared our little stash rituals and the internal justifications we used for having them

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Howling this morning that the security minister is making the common-sense argument that lockdowns will increase terrorism and that we should care about this, implying some hilariously dark things about our national priorities and the value of human life

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He literally mentions a growth in right wing extremism from nerds stuck in their bedrooms too. I don't really see the issue with what he's said.

Like when people said they think lockdowns are bad for mental health reasons in general was that also something that shouldn't have been said?

to be charitable, it's nice to see a tory clarify that he's not actually talking about muslims for once, and it is much more sound as a concept than most tory ideas about terrorism

to be critical, I'd probably want the minister of a government with such an atrocious pandemic response to point out that it's a statistical irrelevance compared to both the general context of the pandemic and the general context of things that cause terrorism in the uk. I'd also want the minister of a government to bother to have actually done some analysis relating to his portfolio they could make an argument slightly better than "well if you think about it", and to not make an essentially meaningless statement that is also, coincidentally, a dogwhistle attack on potential public safety measures.

So making a statement is ok! making this statement raises questions.

Whitey Snipes posted:

I've had at least 5 of my cases (Probation) get pulled down the extreme right rabbit-hole via anti-lockdown or COVID-conspiracy stuff, all men aged between 18-40. Other colleagues have had similar issues. It might be a drop in the bucket compared to the actual COVID response stuff but anecdotally it does seem to be a bit of a problem.

yeah, a lot of people don't handle a combination of high stress and free time very well. We can look at poland, hungary, spain, or greece and see that having extreme-right conspiracist mps constantly mouthing off is probably a bigger problem than lockdowns are, though

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Im going to be the guy that reread the lovely dumb article and restated the incredibly obvious rebuttal to the lab leak theory: there is literally no evidence for it presented in the article, and the null hypothesis of any virus is always natural origin because that is how viruses work

the entire argument is "an autistic man is upset that "prove the negative" is not how science works".

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

In reality it shouldn't. If it was a Chinese lab bioweapon we should have copied the countries that had most preparedness for that: Japan, ROC/Taiwan, South Korea. If it wasn't then we should have copied them anyway because they seemed to do pretty well while we were eating poo poo.

As a conspiracy, it matters because if They know this and They aren't telling you about it, you are free to distrust everything else that They say about masks and lockdowns, which is why "it's a Chinese bioweapon" is often comorbid with "and masks don't work" and so on rather than "and that's why it's far more serious than the 'flu and we should really do something about it."

conspiracy logic overriding the actual logical conclusions of the stated premise is one of the funnier things about conspiracy theories (when they arent causing ethnic violence or 6 figure bodycounts)

I spent an hour last week rewriting the 12 days of christmas to be about piers corbyns favourite conspiracies. This is how I learned that he went off the deep end after deciding that the met office were promoting the myth of anthropogenic climate change on behalf of the qataris, so that they could artificially lower the availability of oil in order to increase profits. I've got no idea how a supposed marxist thinks that could possibly work, but it's hilarious anyway

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Mugsbaloney posted:

Simple question, what if it isn't *just* a fascist conspiracy theory?

then, nothing

nobody has any ability to do anything to the current leading superpower in the world, containment procedures in china are not worse than the typical compliance to field standard, the virus is obviously not constructed and so any gains would have been through curated selection, there are no "implications for immunology", and we remain under the same imminent threat of a catastrophic global pandemic caused by ecosystem destruction. Covid is not a catastrophic global pandemic, it was simply the first emergent pandemic that gave the WHO a chance to see how the planet will respond to the big one (or two, or three) when they arrive. We, at least in europe and most of the anglosphere, did poorly and learnt nothing. The origin changes nothing, which is exactly why it is appropriate to be sceptical of the consistently fashy individuals who keep arguing that the scientific method should be totally discarded in favour of wild speculation.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

:raise:

Why that phrasing?

because it is the given argument for why we should trust this rando instead of the scientific consensus of people with actual qualifications in related fields

quote:

Gilles Demaneuf is a data scientist with the Bank of New Zealand in Auckland. He was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome ten years ago, and believes it gives him a professional advantage. “I’m very good at finding patterns in data, when other people see nothing,” he says.

Mugsbaloney posted:

I find the article and the podcast persuasive.

e;

Angepain posted:

yeah, i don't really see the need to bring the guy's autism into it

it is literally the basis for the article

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Mugsbaloney posted:

Yeah that's true, but I don't see the relevance to the actual - not imagined- situation.

maybe ask a data scientist to explain it

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Mugsbaloney posted:

Phew I was worried for a minute there but thankfully the thread elders have made their ruling and absolved themselves of any wrongdoing.

This is the article.

I think if you read it you might understand why I'm feeling a little confused about the reaction just now.

can you seriously not find an article that's at least halfway scientifically literate

like, if you want to talk about the BANAL variant's receptor binding area and the hilariously awkward FoIa reveal of it being sent to Wuhan in 2019 by DARPA I promise I'll feel disconcerted, but you keep linking something that starts with the offensive Appeal To Sherlock bullshit and then goes into him repeating an argument that requires deliberate engineering to have occurred while jorpishly denying the implication

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

learnincurve posted:

My lads universal credit got sorted.

He is on *exactly* the same as he was when he was being paid via my benefits, only he has to pay a bit of rent to the council, doesn't even have to update fit notes or attend interviews, same as before. Which sure was worth the 3 months where he was on 1/4 money and does not get back pay for. No way a computer could have figured that out automatically in seconds at all...

What's the dwps specific argument against backdating here? They're usually wrong about that, and the way the claim paperwork is set up pretty much guarantees the tribunals can hear it

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Oh there was no argument just “we have decided that people don’t get backdated for the first 3 months” end of. No explanation, letters or paperwork, just verbal this is what happens from a “work coach”

oh in that case just file to have the start date adjusted to the initial application and appeal when they say "no", it's just a script and they don't actually have any basis to refuse.

If they told you that there's no backdating before the date the decision was made they'll try and claim that this counts as them notifying you that they consider the claim date to be whenever they feel like + that you have a right to appeal, and if they didn't they might just lie and say they did, but that's not reaaaaaaaaally compliant with their duties so it all ends up as a dice roll on what sort of judge you get in the upper tribunal

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Answers Me posted:

Any thoughts on how this looming energy crisis is going to play out? Seems like the government and the energy companies are going to play chicken with each other while people worry about how the gently caress we’re going to be able to afford anything.

A popular strike on paying energy bills seems like A Very Good Idea, but mobilising people to do that on a mass scale feels pretty impossible (unless people end up not paying them simply because they can’t)

Didn't the government already deal with it months ago by lifting regulations on price fixing?

The Tory line today is that theyve already announced a 4bn package of tax cuts, then explicitly call the change in UC taper rate a 2bn tax cut, so the randian Ubermensch in no 11 is probably going to do nothing unless billionaires want some free poo poo

Ashworth said labour's solution would be an annual vat free period on household gas during winter, and that they'd cancel the ni rise. Neither of which make a dent and both of which are begging for the papers to start asking them how they plan to pay for things again.

Personally I'm still waiting for SSE to get back to me and explain how they think I used 22,000kwh of energy between September and December, why their online estimate of my previous meter readings is several thousand units lower than my paper estimates and the meter readings they lost (along with records of my previous payments), and why the first I heard of this was when they emailed me at 7:50pm on December 23rd to say I'd defaulted on payment for an account that was in credit the week after I closed it.

I know the answers, they've used the estimates from my partner's account before I took over the energy but only have payments from the third account I had to setup to deal with their previous failed account merger, but I really want their explanation. I'd have just emailed them something like "lol no, come back when you have something resembling an enforceable bill" but they still owe me money.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 29, 2021

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Morris dancing was invented by 16th century poshos so if anything you'd be talking imported indigo, but given that redface is pretty strongly attested it'd surely be madder dye

happyhippy posted:

This sorta makes sense though if it is true.
If you are UK/Spanish for example, there is no direct route from Eurostar to Spain.
And no controls at the stations like airports to keep you from just wandering off out into France.
So you have a 3rd Country with a way to just get into your country with no need of getting anything related aside from a train ticket to somewhere else.

Eurostars interpretation seems to be that anyone with European nationality, or a partner or child with European nationality, still has free movement. So it only really restricts single-nationality Brits with residence in a different eu country for the reasons you say, and the rest is just the standard euplf stuff

The French government not issuing direct English language guidance is definitely deliberate and hilariously petty, mind

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 30, 2021

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Well the DWP wrote back about the mandatory reconsideration on the IIDB benefit I applied for. They are sticking with their original decision.

Apparently not being able to work full time for over 10 years and not at all for five years (because of a condition they acknowledge that I have, that is lifelong and that was caused by a previous job) means I am only 4% disabled, and they refuse to move it up to a level where I'd be getting any financial help.

So congratulations me I guess; I am officially disabled, but not enough to get government support. Apparently I can appeal at tribunal, but I have absolutely zero faith that I would be listened to there either.

I don't have the latest figures, but the DWP have a terrible record at tribunals and they are constantly fighting to limit their scope with little success.

Tribunals take longer than reconsiderations so make sure you've happy that your claim is the best argument you can give and that you left the dwp with as little room for dishonest interpretation as possible - the whole thing is easier if the surface reading can only possibly support your award and the dwp are forced into getting the law wrong, accusing you of lying, or making demonstrably false claims about your condition. If you're happy that your case is solid then go ahead with it, if you think you could have done significantly better it's sometimes worth restarting the process and taking a better claim all the way through to the tribunal.

Make sure to take care of your mental health and remember that it is designed to make you feel hopeless - any such feelings imply nothing about who you are, what you deserve as a person, and what you are entitled to from this process. Take your time and ask for help from those around you, if you need to, and remember that your worst case scenario here is materially identical to not following through. You have nothing to lose, plenty to gain, and your chances are better than you think right now.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Thanks all. I will probably take a few days over new year when nothing will be open and then apply in the new year. I think I did feel hopeless at first, but then like you say, that's the cruelty by design bit in action.

I'm also going to try and make a few appointments with my GP to see if there's anything helpful they can dig out of my medical history to back me up.

I assume it'll be a long process, I just worry that I'll turn up, argue my case, and then the DWP will point out a procedural technicality that makes my argument ineligible. Sort of like those people who try to Vicki Pollard their way out of things by talking about morality /' yeah but he said this' to a cop who absolutely does not give a poo poo unless it affects the technical points of the case.

One of the limitations on the tribunals is that they can't really use new evidence - I'm not a lawyer and I have absolutely no idea if there are any qualifiers to that, but on the balance anything that stops the DWP stalking you and presenting ten minute clips from several weeks of PI footage to cast doubt is probably a rule in your favour.

If you get anything from the gp that casts strong doubt on the DWP's assessment that you can't otherwise easily dispute, or allows you to firm up part of your claim into a solid "I cannot do this task to the standards used to define disability", that's when you'd think about if you should restart. You work out what scores you need to get for the award, what score you can expect to get from what you've provided, and what margins you have between those. Don't waste your own time and (eventual) income redoing a perfectly sound claim over meaningless points, and don't walk into a tribunal with any unnecessary risk you'll regret not having something important.

The process takes a long time but it's really just two letters and a hearing. You get your acknowledgement and a rough backlog estimate, you eventually get your date, then you show up. You're not on trial, you aren't suing anyone, you aren't there to prove anything. You're there to tell the judge that you have an injury that prevents you from performing certain tasks in the manner, time, safety, skill, and comfort of the hypothetical able bodied peer, that you provided evidence to the DWP that supports this, and that the dwps estimation of your entitlement is not based on that evidence.

Finally, like oh dear me said, they have resigned thousands of tribunals before the claimant was asked to speak. It is purely about making you jump through hoops. If theyve accepted evidence that already justifies an award, and decided that they don't care about that, then they just want to see if they can intimidate you out of what they owe by putting you in a room with a judge.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I've seen 3 friends on my feed say that they tested negative for 5-6 days before eventually testing positive on a LFT or PCR. My theory is that there are a lot of lovely fake/faulty LFT kits in circulation, as there are no checks and balances in place, apart from cheques being sent to Tory donors to help with their personal balances.

On the subject of LFT's

https://twitter.com/sstroschein2/status/1476563440739233793

They just have really lovely sensitivity, which becomes worse when being done by the general public who aren't going to use them perfectly every time. Covid can't exactly avoid infecting your upper respiratory system, so if you test 7 days in a row then you pretty much have to do it wrong every time to get a run of false negatives while contagious.

E;beaten badly

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

It's not a weird cold as much as the first colds nearly anyone's had for two years, and they all spent that time under pretty extreme selection pressure to survive and spread with open windows, increased hygiene, and social distancing

At the start of Omicron it was probably the most common pathogen behind cold-like symptoms, but by now dozens of cold-causing viruses will be having a fantastic time of it while none of us have any immunity to them

Tesseraction posted:

The data suggested that by Christmas, 50% of "colds" in the UK were actually omicron, and that it's up to 75% now. If you have a cold, it's now more likely than not you have omicron.

Huh, I'd honestly have assumed colds would be returning in enough numbers to swing it after christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Speaking about Colds and Covids, I was sure I saw an article that talked about this idea that the common cold would take up the spaces that Covid tries to infect and provides a temporary immunity(?) to Covid while you have it.
But I went searching and I couldn't find anything about it on Google and frankly I don't want to be spreading false medical advice during a pandemic.

But anecdotally I have seen a lot of people on social media talking about having negative Antigen tests but cold like symptoms. And the news are doing stories about the difference and similarities in symptoms between Covid and the cold.

The majority of coranaviruses don't target the same receptors, and multiple distinct but related viral infections in the same cell is a key part of how viruses evolve, so that's probably a no on actual immunity. As twisto said you can have an general elevated immune response from anything, really, theres some publications about the MMR vaccine giving you a few months of protection from symptomatic covid