Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

How long till we see laws challenging the sale of contraceptives in general since they've not been shy about it being on the agenda

Worth noting that attacking abortion is just an extension of Southern Conservatives protesting Segregation, they just found Abortion was more "Palatable"

https://twitter.com/owasow/status/1466100480791101446?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Our Justice System is trash, and yeah he shouldn't be tried as an adult. Fifteen is too young to really understand consequence, and being an angry hormone riddled teen who may have school or even family issues (given his dad doing this), he needs help more than to face an already cruel and harsh justice system.

His dad, however, needs to face the light.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, that's the thing: If a gun safe is too expensive, a gun is well outside of your budget. Even small handguns run well into $150-$200 price range minimum, and ammunition is worth more than gold at this point.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 2, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I think you’d be surprised at what you can get for half of that. I mean yeah it’s a Saturday night special but it’s still a gun.

Also I use a stack on for my stuff and don’t keep anything loaded since I have two young kids. Wonderful kids, but still kids.

But the average guns used in shoots are not a Saturday night special. Nearly all these shootings are larger hand guns and rifles.

So no, if you are buying any of the weapons we've seen used in shootings, you can afford a safe.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

To say nothing of selling her country's energy security (and this Eastern European physical security) down the river by further entrenching Germany's dependency on Russian LNG.

That is basically a German tradition at this point

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is just loving asinine. How do you think Mussolini's original fascists got into power? They got elected. What did the Nazis do? They got elected while the communists and social democrats tore each other to pieces. Voting is often the only defense against fascism, because after they win they pull up the ladder and make it impossible to dislodge them.

Worth noting in the Nazis case: They were going to LOSE the election, Hindenburg and the Reichstag thought they could control Hitler and the Nazis by giving them power, which was loving stupid. Then Hindenburg sat back and let the Nazis burn the Reichstag and pass the enabling act.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Untagged posted:

I know I'm not the only one that did a did I click on D&D double check this morning.

Well, some of us served for a reason, whether misguided or not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

The timeline appears to be:

"Hey... why are you searching for ammunition with your phone during school hours?"
*looks at drawings* HOLY poo poo GET THEIR PARENTS IN HERE
"Hey Mr/Mrs Fuckup, look at what we found here"
[unknown parental response]
Parents leave
Kid goes into bathroom and comes out shooting
Dad: hey my unlocked gun is missing

https://twitter.com/DavidEggert00/status/1466821141062893571

Edit: HOLY gently caress

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1466819872160165894

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1466821363935682564

The kid needed serious mental help, his CHUD parents wanted to treat mental health as him being a sissy, and he shot people.

They need to be railroaded into the court system. The kid needs mental help, not jail, his parents need to be loving crucified.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PookBear posted:

I for one hope that we go easy on the young white terrorist

Based on what we know, his parents were the reason he is the way he is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PookBear posted:

ur right and IMO prison reform needs to start right here and now with this young white terrorist

Are you serious with this bullshit? Pretty sure most of us think prison reform should've started a long time ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah that seems to be the initial silver lining: If its not putting people in hospital beds, then its gonna be a less of an issue than Delta, which very much can put you in the hospital.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The future of our country is these chucklefucks. Jesus.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Carteret posted:

AWS went down for hours yesterday, essentially killing an entire shipping day and setting stuff back. It was a pretty big shitshow and today is going to be rough in the logistics world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...ncy-11638972001

Some of the terminals use Kindles to operate the doors and release the locks on the docks. Real OPEN THE POD BAY DOORS, ALEXA vibes

Gotta love "The Cloud"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
'Penis Drawing Department' doesn't have the same ring.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Climate change has destabilized the Earth’s poles, putting the rest of the planet in peril
New research shows how rising temperatures have irreversibly altered both the Arctic and Antarctic. Ripple effects will be felt around the globe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/12/14/climate-change-arctic-antarctic-poles/

I’m pretty sure this is a plot point in Damnation Alley.

If you are talking about the Magnetic poles: The planet has done this in the past, and this change was expect, not really due to climate change

https://climate.nasa.gov/ask-nasa-climate/3104/flip-flop-why-variations-in-earths-magnetic-field-arent-causing-todays-climate-change/

If you mean the PHYSICAL poles: Yes, we hosed that up, and we're loving it up further.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I don't know if I care about the new Matrix, but Keanu continue to be the man, so honestly I'll watch it for him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, again its not the magnetic poles, its the ice itself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PeterCat posted:

Guy a work with's brother is 40 years old and a runner. He got the vaccine and then had to get a pacemaker. Obviously I don't know all the details, but the guy is convinced the vaccine gave his brother heart problems that required him to get a pacemaker.

Is that culture war poo poo?

Correlation does not equal causation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

Good luck convincing anti-vaxxers of this. They’ll push that up and run with it :dadjoke:

Never said I could. But the problem is we've been fed commercialized pseudoscience for decades and its coming back to haunt us.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It's certainly something. The funny part is that it kind of opens like a serious thriller....and then giant cockroaches and the trip to safety in BUFFALO or somewhere goofy. Can't believe I stayed up till 4:00 PM one weekend just to finish it. Then again it was on badmovies.org, so I had to watch it after I read the reviews of it a bunch of times.

Also in Chaos Reigns news:
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1470786141389533184?s=20

Gee, I wonder why the GOP is concerned about voter Fraud when they keep doing it.....:thunk:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thwomp posted:

Yeah, I think we’re beyond the point of vaccines preventing spread.

Yeah at this point its about vaccines saving your life or preventing an ER stay less preventing spread.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah the data says the boosters work to keep you alive, if not fairly healthy if you catch it. And it does significantly reduce your risk with COVID. I have not seen any data saying otherwise.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Also distinct lack of affordable vehicles and dependency on coal/gas for power production

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Oh man, acid flashbacks to Obama's Cash For Clunkers program and all the Republican whining there was at only a few grand per car.

Given that Cash for Clunkers sunk a lot of people in debt since it barely covered the cost of a new car, as well as took a lot of reliable cars out of the used car market, making it harder for low income families to get vehicles: It loving sucked.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That’s a funny way to spell “1998 Subaru Outback.”

This car has AWD, ample cargo space, heated seats, and low profile enough that you could actually see pedestrians. Extremely good poo poo.

Wrong AWD platform :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ok, I'll give you that. Preffered the Sedan variant.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

Jimmy Pesto Sr status: fired/banned.

Angry yelling from the burger place across the street: 'HE KNOWS WHAT HE DID'

https://movieweb.com/bobs-burgers-jimmy-presto-fired/

It is absolutely ironic that a guy who plays an absolute irritating rear end in a top hat is, in fact, an irritating rear end in a top hat.

Get hosed, Jimmy Pesto.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 19, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm sure fossil fuel companies would never try to make a buck and influence public opinion at the same time

I mean this also aligns with the increasing prices at the grocery store: Its not so much inflation as companies wanting to maximize their profits. Its hosed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

The amazing thing about that post is how many people latched onto it as evidence of goon insanity rather than recognizing an obvious fakepost.

Wait, goons are not insane? poo poo, my entire worldview is smashed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

Hell, they're still telling us to wash our hands as if that's relevant to SARS-CoV-2.

Uh, what? No washing your hands remains relevant to ANY viral infection and helping treat spread. Plus:

Brute Squad posted:

and washing your hands is good for your health. please wash your hands.

Are you seriously arguing that hand washing, one of the most tried and true practices to helping limit the spread of infections, is 'ineffective'?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

How in the world can my post be interpreted as an argument against washing hands? :psyduck:

You said it wasn't relevant to Covid. It is.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7267118/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

In “well duh” news, Amazon went out of its way to support Xi and China to break into their markets.

https://twitter.com/aliceysu/status/1471890179723911169?s=20

Apple does this as well, as long as these guys are making money, they will sell out any and all ideas of security and privacy to keep the money flowing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

e: at least thank you for not doing the bad faith "why do you hate washing hands??" nonsense.

Yeah, I was the only one calling you out on it, it must be me doing bad faith.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

Nice parting shot, but you're wrong:

It was not a parting shot. You got called out by at least 3 different posters. Maybe you worded it wrong, but you need to stop pretending it just bad faith argument. If you didn't mean the way you wrote it, just say that instead of attacking posters pretending they are all out to get you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KirbyKhan posted:

I have made 30-series Nvida card hunting a recent househusband hobby. GPU Megathread in SHSC has been helpful in explaining to me that IT IS A BLEAK AND BARREN WASTELAND THERE ARE NO CARDS FOREVER MORE.

I'm borrowing my mother-in-law's BestBuy Total Tech membership to get stock notification and preferential treatment. Might make a trip out of going to the Microcenter that's 6 hours away, one day.

Yeah easiest way to get a 30x series is in a laptop, unfortunately.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah they keep seeing how far they can push it, and nobody is going to stop them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

is there really a meaningful threat difference between hypersonics and depressed trajectory SLBMs tho

From a MAD perspective? No. If Putin used Hypersonic as a first strike, there'd be enough weapons available for a counterstrike.

So its just a largely a propaganda move.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, at most assuming a non-nuclear payload: You sink a US Carrier with it. Good for you? Now you are at war, hope you have enough of them. Still more of a propaganda thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crab Dad posted:

Nobody’s gonna target a carrier because that’s a red line for nuclear retaliation but the forward deployed gator navy and destroyers are going to make temporary reefs until the Chinese dreg them back up. They can cause a lot of damage in a limited short confrontation that China may push for to facilitate taking over Taiwan and other islands currently in dispute.
The thing is they are fairly cheap to make(compared to its target) and can be slapped on a corvette size ship for over the horizon targeting.
It’s not a “super weapon” but it can be a very effective piece of the puzzle.

I don't think China or Russia is gonna dare to do that either, because that's what gets a Carrier parked in your back yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Its good that Paxlovid and the Merck pill are coming on the board since some of the existing treatments don't look to be holding up to Omicron.

https://mobile.twitter.com/carlzimmer/status/1474078584708939776

This is especially darkly hilarious since a lot of Red States that have pushed antivax stuff were dependent on the monoclonal to treat their non-vaccinated populace