Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm becoming more sympathetic to the idea that effecting change democratically involves forcing Democrats to lose so hard they can't even gain anything by being a forever complacent opposition

Too bad about the other effect of that basically being a fascism speed run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arven posted:

I have zero faith in the dems after January 6th. They are still trying to broker deals in good faith with people who tried to kill them.

Voting for the democrats to keep the fascists out would be essential if they were actually actively doing anything to keep the fascists out of power, but they aren't. I'm still gonna do it because I'm not delusional, but I'm not giving them a loving dime.

Also all you neolibs complaining about cspam and d&d need to take a look around you- this is one of the last neolib safe spaces on the forum. CSPAM is the most viewed subforum on the site for christ's sake. SA took a HARD turn to the left in the last four years.

I would never be considered what those nightmares define as the left and I'm not interested in their brand either

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Much further left and still did nothing to raise the federal minimum wage, codify abortion rights or pass any voter protection laws while in control of the government. Is the right undermining democracy? Yes. Is the Democratic party doing much to stop them? I can't answer that because I have been told I'm a doomer who doesn't appreciate lanyard culture therefore I'm not objective and realistic.

Is there any argument for voting for the establishment Dems that get put up besides the other side is that much worse? We can do what we can locally but beyond that they're really, really not showing any will to change poo poo and being told it's a moral imperative to vote for them despite that because conservatives mega bad is just loving whack. I'm getting tired of punching the ticket for these people despite them being unable to change key policy points they run on while in charge.

I feel like you've said this a dozen times and I have yet to see this crowd of cyber bullies calling you a doomer

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What does "are a Russian lives a strategic feint" mean?

maffew buildings posted:

You may find this hard to believe but there is a world outside of the forums and I have been dumb enough to go engage with people in it over the years

OK dude so why whine about it here

Everyone outside the forums calls me smart and handsome BTW

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Midjack posted:

Oh okay cool, we're going to "diplomatically boycott" the Beijing Olympics, which I guess is where we don't send any US Government people to hang around at the opening ceremony but the athletes can still compete and win medals. A crippling blow from which the Chinese Communist Party will never recover.

Our diplomats are still busy reeling in surprise at how uncouth they found Mr. Donald Trump, anyway

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

o7

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ASAPI posted:

Bad actor is unlikely.

Usually, when things like this happen (cloudflare outage, AWS outage, etc) it just provides a view on how little most places are willing to spend on infrastructure. These outages were from a single accessibility zone going down, AWS was designed to withstand that as long as you paid to use multiple accessibility zones.

From what I saw/read, the consensus is that someone pushed an update that broke the management console access and some APIs.

Companies are cheap but AWS is also expensive as gently caress and it's really easy to get in over your head with charges

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been dreading the day we realize that the continued existence of Japan is one giant loose end

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Air Force loves making callsigns a pun on your name, so it's probably just the fact that his last name has "colon" in it.

There's usually also a thing going on where they have an innocent explanation and then The Real Story

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Bubblegum Department has run into major suppy shortages and so we'll have to assign operations to its mission partner,

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That poor checklist doesn't deserve the blame

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Model 3 sold 206,500 units in the US in 2020 yet it's not on the list

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

The perfect car is a walkable / bike-able city but good luck convincing anyone you shouldn't need a car and yet our society is forcing people that way because we love the property values in our food deserts.

Like seriously any suburbanites, think of the last time you walked your rear end anywhere.

I'm never living anywhere I can walk to poo poo again. I'm done with cities.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Surprise! Build Back Better is probably completely dead now thanks to everyone’s favorite Joe Manchin!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/19/politics/joe-manchin-build-back-better/index.html

Boot him out of the loving party. Sick of this big tent bullshit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Living out in the county, even if I am a bit too close to a noisy highway, gives me such a huge amount of peace. I'm very grateful I get to live here.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pmchem posted:

manchin is a piece of poo poo but without him, biden gets zero appointees through the senate for the next 3 years, including any and all federal judges

manchin is the most powerful person in washington and he knows it

I don't care anymore. This constant excuse and inaction because of federal appointments has demolished the party's platform and its ability to legislate. Time to eat the short term pain and recreate the party without him.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why have I read like 20 posts from you defending the megavaxxer guy with 200 posts a day across every COVID thread this forum has

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

suffer not the stalk to live

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought a 3070 for $575 after months of waking up at 3am trying to do stock tracker bullshit. Almost a year later and I'd STILL be insanely lucky to get another one for that price. Absolutely nuts.

not caring here posted:

EVGA was running a sign up list and while the wait times can be extremely long - 9 months in once case I heard about - they only charge rrp, which is pretty dope.

I signed up for a 3080 XC3 in Sep 2020 and I'm pretty sure that list hasn't moved by a single person since then. Apparently I should've signed up for more than one list because EVGA just didn't bother to make any more of anything but the most expensive cards.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Digging a mass grave at the border and doing the suggestive eyebrow raise thing while pointing at it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think the concern is more that a video card that has been pegged for months or years is much more likely to fail than one that has been used as intended. Most computer components fail randomly after some amount of use, with natural variation around that failure point (and a long tail of devices that keep on chugging). A card used for mining is closer to that failure point, kind of like if you bought a hard drive that has constantly been written to for years. It might not be slower when you get it, but the odds of failure at any given time are higher because it is closer to the end of its effective life.

GPU mining cards aren't pegged. My 3070 hit peak efficiency at around 40%

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

No, you hit an early warning system with it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Seems like a decent approach imo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's the forum named "Am I the rear end in a top hat?" that bans you if you call someone an rear end in a top hat

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not one of the work from home royalty so I wear KN95s at the office and I've been working on telling my colleagues that KN95s/94s protect you better than cloth masks and feel more comfortable to boot

It's crazy how many well-meaning people are still utterly convinced by the "masks aren't for protecting yourself" line those assholes kept pushing early last year

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have to work in person either way so I'd much rather have another quasi-shutdown just to clear traffic off the roads so I can get there in peace while people toss popcorn at their cats for wacky quarantine tik toks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

I had a lit professor who abused tenure to wear jorts and knee-high white socks with sandals and I can never forgive him