Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Without knowing more about the kid's personal situation and mental state, it's hard to say anything definitive. Maybe he was traumatized and abused! Maybe he's just a sociopathic rear end in a top hat! At this stage, with the information that we have, it's impossible to say for sure. (though sociopathic rear end in a top hat probably seems more likely from what little I've read)

What can probably be said for sure though is holy poo poo what were his parents doing? They bought the gun on Friday? What the absolute gently caress was going on in that household??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zamujasa posted:

voting doesn't stop fascism

This is just loving asinine. How do you think Mussolini's original fascists got into power? They got elected. What did the Nazis do? They got elected while the communists and social democrats tore each other to pieces. Voting is often the only defense against fascism, because after they win they pull up the ladder and make it impossible to dislodge them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zamujasa posted:

yes, exactly

Which is why you don't let them get into power in the first place when your vote still loving matters

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zamujasa posted:

I'm afraid I have some bad news about the US, then

We still have elections that matter and it's bullshit to say otherwise.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Like, is poo poo bad now? Absolutely. But many things still have the capacity to get better. But they'll only get better if people remain engaged and, yes, vote - because the alternative is that the fascists get into power and make things a whole hell of a lot worse for a whole hell of a lot of people, and at this point they're not going to let themselves get voted out.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CainFortea posted:

Okay, your two examples, how did they get out of power?

An apocalyptic war that left tens of millions dead and the continent devastated. Hence the importance of keeping open fascists out of power!

Zamujasa posted:

I'm not saying that voting doesn't matter, it absolutely does. I'm just saying that it is not going to stop what's going on. It'll slow it down, maybe it'll give the US time to somehow unfuck itself, but no amount of checking boxes next to (D)s is going to solve things when we've allowed the system to get as corrupt as it has.

Money buys politicians and the wealthiest and shittiest have been getting more of that faster than we've been getting votes.

It's absolutely fair to be pessimistic. It's honestly hard not to be these days.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Voting third party or protest voting en masse is the only thing that’ll make them wake up.

You're making the assumption that the Dems will turn leftwards if people stop voting for them. This is not and never has been born out by the evidence. Take the 1980s: The Dems lost Presidential elections in 1980, 84, and 88, the latter two of which were some of the most lopsided blowouts in American history. Did the Democrats turn leftwards? No, Bill Clinton won the primary, and the election, and the Third Way centrism became the defining ideology of the party for two and a half decades. And even after 2016, in the aftermath of losing to Donald Trump, the Democrats didn't turn leftwards—they turned to Joe Biden, and among the Democratic electorate the left wing of the Democratic primary got less votes in the competitive elections than they did just four years earlier.

Also it's worth mentioning that the Democrats are not a monolith. What message does it send if Raphael Warnock is voted out in Georgia next year? Or if Mark Kelly is voted out of office? In Michigan, state attorney general Dana Nessel told Dave Weigel of the Washington Post that she would not prosecute abortion cases when Roe is overturned—what the hell kind of message will it send if she's voted out?

Are there shithead dems? Absolutely. I agree with the premise that Sinema and Manchin are only the loudest assholes in the Senate, for instance, and that there's at least 3-4 (or more) Senators behind them that hold most of the same views. But at most, that's still only 10-20% of the caucus—and holding the rest of the party to account for the actions of the minority is, in my view, devastatingly counterproductive.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 3, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/LarryWDIVLocal4/status/1467003098354880516

They go to Rochester Hills, pull $4K from an ATM, then drive ~25 minutes south to Detroit and?????

The answer is "do a piss poor job of trying to hide"

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1467031433671757824?t=VIgrC-6FNuKPJVA7aEix-g&s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/jeremymbarr/status/1467255201333751809?t=NGr4u-ztBRTpMQe2uxvsHA&s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Colorado is the best state in the union, I loving miss it.

I've driven through Colorado a couple times, stopped at Rocky Mountain National Park and Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and I must say that it is an absolutely gorgeous state if you're a fan of mountains (And frankly who isn't)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Keanu Reeves is truly a treasure

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Reading into the issue, from what I can tell all this really means is that the DoJ doesn't want to give a flat dollar amount to every family in a single 2+ billion dollar settlement and has likely decided to settle each of the cases individually. The DoJ's statement "While the parties have been unable to reach a global settlement agreement at this time, we remain committed to engaging with the plaintiffs and to bringing justice to the victims of this abhorrent policy" certainly doesn't sound like they're planning to fight each case to the death in court.

anyway it would be nice if people in this thread stopped shouting "the democrats are worthless and doomed in 2024" in response to singular tweets that don't even have an article attached because it's really obnoxious and happening like five times a week

like if you're gonna do that post an article excerpt at least

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, except when the Democrats try to explain this as being the case, everyone's going to tune out and go all :downs:.

Then, when it counts, someone's going to distill it all down to "Biden did nothing to help the kids in cages" and that's the only thing people will remember.

And when settlements do happen, it'll be framed as "Democrats give hundreds of millions/over a billion dollars to illegal immigrants." Like, should the administration/individual dems be excoriated when they don't do the right thing? Absolutely. In this case, these children were abused and their families absolutely deserve compensation, the DoJ/administration should suck it up and pay a global settlement. But it's obnoxious to see posters frame it as a political disaster that voters will definitely remember come next November (And in 2024!), because the reality is that most voters have extremely short memories, usually don't care about specific policies/events unless they are directly affected by them, (And even then...) and are also far more centrist/right wing than posters on this forum.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm probably going to end up with an Outback eventually, not because I want one (though they are good cars, I certainly wouldn't complain), but because everyone in my line of work eventually gets a Subaru. They may as well hand out brochures at employee orientation.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I drove cross country last month through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan, and I think I saw those stickers... once?? Though granted, it's not like I was looking for them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
bring back the Sprint cowards

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's a Wonderful Life. One of those rare films that gets better with time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The only question is whether or not he's too poo poo-stupid to realize that he's an asset and that the "former Army captain" is his handler.

I give it 50-50.

You've seen his correspondence, right? Because he absolutely is that poo poo-stupid, and I mean that in the literal sense of "how did this man get a GED."

https://twitter.com/ImSpeaking13/status/1472743823952523267?t=-6TnTiz2o0QUTs5tsV04UQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/CharlesFinch/status/1421496819930984452?t=OZKFJMG3KVYYvhqV053_4Q&s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Fucks sake, that handwriting is worse than mine.

At what point do you just hire someone with good handwriting?

Just imagine having the necessary level of empty-headed hubris to look at that elementary school-level penmanship, written on the official stationary of a Congressional office, and think "yep, fuckin' nailed it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

I'd like to see a writing sample from before the accident, though I do expect it would be just as awful.

Edit: Based on recent history, he's going to be elected president in 2032.

Edit2: While refusing to release his Russian income tax forms due to an audit.

I'd feel more bad about making fun of him if he A) wasn't a loving US Congressman and B) if by all accounts he hadn't been a dumbass and a terrible person even before the accident (which, as it should always be mentioned, he has lied about repeatedly to make his story sound more compelling).