Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tunicate posted:

Losing to Mammoth has to be embarrassing, it's like a mixed martial artist losing a match by being slapped into unconsciousness

I love it

Slapped into unconsciousness by a giant maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Duck was bowing in the middle at points during the fight, it was very clearly made of three sections. That doesn't bode well for its overall durability. That sort of flexing isn't necessarily bad, but I can't imagine that it is good for the internals, even if the robot is designed to take shock impacts like that. The new design has a lot of question marks still.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Malice was finally working and they had to go up against Jackpot looking stronger than ever. Just horrible, horrible luck. The Tombstone fight was the most Tombstone fight possible. Also Lucky finally got Lucky. Unfortunately their driver hosed it up. And Sawblaze looks fierce this year. Those new forks are way more effective than I thought they'd be.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

NightGyr posted:

Glitch was 100% the lesson in weaknesses of omni wheels. Shatter can get away with it because it doesn't need to push up against other bots just keep its distance.

Shatter probably has a better distribution on its omni wheels as well. The delta design of Glitch almost certainly did them no favors in terms of mobility.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Madurai posted:

Beta's deficiencies in the automotive and crew areas aren't reflective of the fact that when they do hammer something, the hammer actually does something. Shatter is a marvelous work of engineering, but the hammer it has is as purely decorative as Duck's lifter.

Nah, Shatter's hammer isn't decorative, it's actually pretty good at penetrating medium weight armor, it just has to hit something important to be useful. Beta doesn't have that limitation, but can't penetrate well designed armor. At that point you are just hoping something shakes loose.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

rarbatrol posted:

That's the core problem with hammers. The strongest weapons let you add potential energy over time, particularly with spinners. With most styles of hammer, you're limited to whatever energy you can get from a gas cylinder or a quick pulse of an electric motor. I think hydra and it's flipper get around this a little bit since they've got an active pump to keep pressure.

Yeah, Hydra's big innovation was integrating a hydraulic pump powerful enough to get the big flips. It's a completely different beast from old pneumatic flippers like Bronco. Hydra can flip all day, which allows it to compete in a meta that centers around sturdy bots.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe Deep 6 will bifurcate Smeeeeeeeee in one shot

Breaking Smee in two might actually make it more viable, lol.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It sounded like Deep Six's driver wanted Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to tip them even further forwards so their weapon would hit the floor and flip them back out but that also could have gone horribly wrong. :v:

Deep Six's weapon does NOT need to keep slicing holes in the floor of the Battlebox.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

TheKnife posted:

I'm convinced the only reason anyone expects skorpios to do well is because it reminds them of sawblaze

And the fact that it wins a lot of matches

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Conceptually, the idea behind Switchback is solid. Most drum spinners don't have any degree of range, you have to deliver main mass of the drum into what you want to attack. With Switchback you could potentially put much longer teeth on that weapon and even deliver damage straight down onto other bots. But the design is extremely complex, which means there is a lot that can go wrong. There's a reason Biteforce and Endgame are so successful, their designs have almost no frills.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

oh jay posted:

Captain Shredderator as a YouTube exclusive. Should be "fun".

On the other hand it's going against a multibot, so if it doesn't break immediately we might see some half size robots get destroyed.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I feel like HUGE is going to hit that arm once and either rip it clean off or just launch the whole robot across the arena and win.

Yeah, HUGE's biggest problem is that it requires a lot of ground clearance for that weapon, which means low profile bots, or Biteforce clones with a single area that sticks out are not easy to target.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ante posted:

Didn't dude upthread say that they would be released in their entirety on youtube tomorrow?

Sounds like a marketing ploy to drive youtube traffic to the main show.

Why choose mammoth though? Get Blade or Lock-Jaw in there or something, they might actually have a shot

It'd really be hard to justify a 0 win bot.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I want to see the score scards for Huge/Uppercut. Bit surprised it unanimous for Uppercut

I'm pretty sure Uppercut did some serious damage to one of the back supports on Huge. If that is the case, even though Uppercut took some damage itself, that might be enough to tip the damage category, and there just wasn't enough in the control/aggression categories to outweigh it. The fight was too short.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea. I honestly don't see too many bots being a match for Sawblaze. Jamison Go is a loving A+ driver with a really good control bot that can also do damage...

I guess also there is a real good chance there is a Sawblaze & Minotaur rematch...

All this being said, Sawblaze will have to be careful with its hanmer saw against Riptide. Hit that eggbeater drum wrong and it gets ripped off.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

halokiller posted:

Ngl, want Hydra to win because of all the salt that would generate and also gently caress spinners.

If you just want gently caress spinners, root for Blip.

That being said, I'd be happy for any of these bots to win. Except Hydra.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

lol if Jake Ewert just spray-painted "Hydra" on Son of Whyachi or something.

Also I think people are jumping to "entirely new bot" in the comments, but what if it's something like one of the teams with two robots just swaps in the second one when the first one gets mega-hosed up in, like, the quarterfinals? Witch Doctor has talked in their social media about having basically two Witch Doctors. I believe Tombstone brings essentially two Tombstones every year too.

If it's a backup robot then I don't see that causing a controversy, because those would be approved to compete for that team beforehand. It would only cause a controversy if they brought in some significant parts from a robot not on that team. But that's on Battlebots because they absolutely shouldn't let something like that happen when they do pre-fight inspections.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yeah of they just mounted a spinner I don't see that being a problem from my perspective, but I can also see why other might get salty about it. The main chassis is the same, they just jury-rigged a spinner on there. It'll be a lot less durable in that configuration, and plenty of robots trade out weapons. Rusty used Lockjaw's wedge against Witch Doctor, and no one cried foul there, but I'll admit that was a slightly different situation.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

If the rule said you need to wait 20 secs to unstick then Minotaur got robbed, but that's on the refs. And I don't necessarily hold it against Witch Doctor that they ran out the clock. But, running out the clock like that while being the beneficiary of a bad ref call like that feels... inappropriate. If they had done one solid hit just once, I would have been satisfied that they were back in the fight and wouldn't have minded them sitting out the rest of the match. But just waiting to be counted out while dodging Minotaur was dumb. If you have to dodge the other bot, you shouldn't be looking for a count out.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Fish Of Doom posted:

Tantrum's spinner isn't meant to do big damage like other vertical spinners, it's more like Sawblaze's weapon where it delivers a lighter weapon in a small burst when it's in control of the other bot. It gets under the other bot and then punches it around/flips it over/knocks it out of the arena. It's a control bot first and the puncher is just a way to use that control.

It's still more effective than Scorpios or Whiplash's spinners.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

What is with Battlebots putting Huge up against giant vertical spinners again? They did it with Mammoth, and that fight was the weirdest thing I've seen in years, and now Deep Six.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Scrotum Modem posted:

this mentions the loser so i better spoiler

LockJaw was probably badass back in the day but it's a really weak bot now. If they had some epic wins since 2015 then my memory has completely forgotten about them. I watched this expecting LockJaw to lose hard and sure enough they did

The year Lockjaw won the Desperado tournament was cool

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

RBA Starblade posted:

Malice has always seemed unreliable and poor, but Pain Train is honestly not so different and worse and I cheer them on anyway

Lockjaw just always seems like it's missing something. It looks good and moves well but it's not quite up to par

Lockjaw is a vertical spinner that is very much a middle of the road vertical spinner. It doesn't have any particular advantage over any of the other many similar bots. It is basically a vehicle for Donald Hutson's driving skills, but it does very little to give him an advantage by itself.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Railing Kill posted:

I just googled Sumobots. 1) Yes, and 2) this rules.

Speaking of innovating in Battlebots, I continued watching the season I'm currently in (2018), and Huge brought a mini bot named Surrender to a fight against Chomp. It just had a white flag wiggling around on a spring to try to fool Chomp's sensors. It didn't appear to work, and Chomp comically turned toward it and roasted it in the first five seconds. Huge won anyway, because this was clearly not Chomp's year.

Huge has been unstoppable in this season. That's weird to me because I know them as a B or C-tier bot in the present. I like the design insofar as I like teams trying innovative designs, but it seems like their weapon in 2018 is more dangerous than I've ever seen it since. Or maybe they just got some lucky matchups in 2018. I dunno.

Nobody knew how to kill Huge when it first debuted. It had a powerful weapon that no one wanted to get near, and a body that was very hard to get at. Three things were discovered that made Huge a lot less scary though, along with a fourth development in bot design.

1. Huge's wheels are plastic, which means spinners chew them up.
2. Huge's body is not armored, so if you can hit it it won't last long.
3. Huge's spinner has a long spin up time, so once you stop the spinner you can keep it locked down easily.
4.Bots got tougher so Huge couldn't one shot one kill most bots, meaning most bots can take advantage of weakness 3.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Borsche69 posted:

huge never really one shot one killed anything. it just wasn't touchable and took advantage of basically marking out 5-0 damage or ripping at wheels and whatever while the other robot flailed around. if anything its weapon has historically been pretty weak comparatively.

People thought it could though. It came in just at the tail end of the big horizontal spinner era when vertical spinners were beginning to establish dominance. So people thought it might be a vertical Tombstone. It wasn't, but people did not want to test that weapon for a while. Even by that point the building in bots had begun to improve, so there were plenty of bots that could easily go in and gently caress up Huge from inside, but people hadn't realized that the meta had changed yet, so they didn't want to risk it. It's not a coincidence that 2018 was the last season Tombstone looked like a top tier bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't they change the rule to lower max tip speed in a way that nerfed bar spinners like Tombstone and Huge?

That more designed for Deep Six I thought, but it definitely might have affected them.