Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

One thing I haven't seen brought up yet about Macrocosmos, as that the heal from Microcosmos is instant. Like, you press the button and the HP is there. No waiting for animation or travel, just boom +hp.

It seems like they've updated the tick rates for certain actions, though not for all of them. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm told that SCH shields apply near-instantly now, and Eukrasian Dosis has none of the usual lag time of healer DoTs; you hit the button and it's on the guy. Makes me wonder if carving out a whole bunch of DoTs from other jobs opened up the bandwidth to allow for more responsiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The fact that it's US only means that there was also probably a lot of enterprising resellers clearing places out of pizzas to get codes to turn around on eBay.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Begemot posted:

Weirdly, I've noticed that alliance raids are harder, while 4-man dungeons are easier. I ran Void Ark earlier, and saw phases of those bosses I've never seen before.

I guess you could chalk that up to the high population of reapers who have no idea what they're doing, though :v:

It's probably a combination of the stat squish and people not really knowing what they're doing. All the low level dungeons go by in a flash, whereas last night I had the first wipe to T.G. Cid I've seen in years.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Actually now that you mention it, I got in an Orbonne Monastery two nights ago and it took forever. I just chalked it up to the alliance not knowing the mechanics but it did seem to take extra long for some of the raid bosses to die. I wonder why that seems to take longer but leveling dungeon bosses seem to die easier?

I imagine they erred more on the side of caution for 4-man dungeons due to them typically being required for MSQ progression.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's a pretty consistent cycle for every patch, expansions included, where a significant number of people sign back up to play through the MSQ, dither around a little bit after, and then drop the game like a hot rock until the next patch and next MSQ. It might take a week or two, and the holidays will probably skew things more than normal, but it'll have largely normalized by the new year.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

I jumped into the queue as soon as I got home form work tonight (~8:30pm EST), and after 2 hours of multiple 2002s I have just cracked 2000 in the queue.

Only being able to log in during prime time is really making me think its better to just cancel my sub until like March when I assume the vast majority of people have burned through all available content and are taking breaks. Im sure the game is the best its ever been, I just cant justify the monthly sub and not being able to actually play it at the moment. :(

They'll probably continue to hand out free days until the traffic gets down to acceptable (re: not constantly hammering the login server like a hurricane) levels. The FFXIV team's been in this situation a couple of times before, and they know well by now to not take peoples' goodwill for granted, especially after they already burned a bunch of it with the 2-week delay.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MechaX posted:

But the few runs I did seem to really, really depend on how much the tank liked cooldowns.

That's Holminster Switch in a nutshell, yeah. You gain considerably more personal agency as you get up in levels, but Holminster is a loving nightmare to heal without a halfway decent tank.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SGE feels like SCH in how it goes from "this job sucks" to "this job owns" in the span of a level or two. As soon as you hit 78 and get a HoT on Kerachole, everything becomes vastly easier, and almost all your problems vanish once you get Panhaima.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I do really hope that their three-year plan for the next era of FFXIV involves the SE board making a long-term investment in the construction of a new client. It ain't gonna be cheap with how many moving parts FFXIV has, but I think it's absolutely necessary - and they probably know it is, too - to create a client with both more potential for graphical fidelity, and that doesn't require them to dig through the code for the scantest optimizations to let people put a handful more items into their Glamour Dressers without the server exploding.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This loving game. :v:

(80 MSQ, Thavnair)

Oh, the city has an "alliance" with a dragon? I bet the dragon is actually the satrap!
*we meet the satrap and he's just a regular dude*
Aw, well, that's kind of disappointing.
*curtain raises*
:neckbeard:

I was so glad that (EW, 80-81) my initial narrative gut instinct - thinking that the satrap would be cowardly or corrupt or whatever - was wrong and that both Ahewann and Vrtra are genuinely good people weighed down by their respective burdens.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Steelion posted:

the 10 item levels is usually enough to make up for substat loss, but someone with a better grasp on the new numbers might have a better answer

There's only a few extreme edge cases where it's worthwhile to dip in ilvl. This is especially the case for crit early on in an expansion, since the exponential nature of higher and higher crit rating makes it better as you get more of it and comparatively worse at a baseline.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

I was about to post something similar. I managed to fight through a bunch of times and finish the MSQ, but I just can't muster up the desire to deal with all the bullshit to do stuff like level alt jobs or do roulettes. I guess I hope that there's lot of people like me and maybe things will work themselves out in the next few weeks, but I also think that's probably not great if they want to retain the big rush of people as long-term subscribers.

What I suspect they'll do once they get their hardware delivered is do a full month callback campaign with free transfers to the new worlds to get people back and playing, possibly with some other incentive attached. It'll be a financial bath, but it'll let them recapture a decent portion of the people who otherwise couldn't get their foot in the door at all during launch.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I've said it before, but the situation is immeasurably more frustrating because there really isn't any blame to apportion. They likely spent all of their efforts going into Covid on securing whatever hardware they could get that would enable the servers to handle the projected load, and then the game's popularity explodes four and a half months before the official launch date of their next expansion. The kind of playerbase growth FFXIV has had this year is the kind of fantasy scenario online game developers worldwide go to bed dreaming about because it basically doesn't happen, and if it does, it doesn't happen to your 8 year old subscription-based MMO.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Xarbala posted:

I'm starting to see why Yoshi-P looked so defeated during the live letter he had to announce the release delay

I am not looking forwards to the start of the next live letter.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im baby sitting my queue so I dont lose out on the spot but Im getting crashes every 2-3 hours at best, sometimes 40 minutes in. Its impossible to play like this.

Im about to nuke my entire windows to see if a fresh install will help.

Ive probably spent thrice what I've played in the game in queue.

Are you getting DX11 crashes? If you have a dual monitor setup, turning your second one off or ensuring that they're both at the same refresh rates can apparently help.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

multijoe posted:

The 2002 issue seems like it's on them tbh. The second rate infrastructure the game is built on has been an onrunning joke in the community for years, you can't brush that aside now it's causing an acute problem

Has it, though? The last time I had any significant backend issues pre-Endwalker was during the huge initial Asmongold surge, since I had the misfortune of being on Aether, and the last time I had before that was loving Stormblood.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

The scene after the 89 dungeon where Asahi got some limelight kinda felt like he got treated with more respect than he deserved imo

I didn't really see it that way. (EW, 89-90) It's ironic, karmic comeuppance for Amon/Fandaniel, and Asahi is the only villain in the entire expansion portrayed with zero sympathy or even a note of tragedy. You can't even meet him halfway in dialogue like you do with Zenos; your only dialogue options both amount to some form of, "gently caress you too, pal."

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My progression went MRD -> PLD -> DRG -> WAR -> SCH in ARR, before I eventually settled into SCH for all of Heavensward, then AST for all of Stormblood, then WHM for all of Shadowbringers, and now SGE for Endwalker. I just like healing. v:shobon:v

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

This was the one, best, shot at establishing some darker motivations for the WoL, and I'm so glad the writing team was willing to offer an unrepentantly unheroic option for it

(EW, 90+) I think even that line's open to a certain degree of heroic interpretation. The conclusion of Zenos' character arc is him taking Alisaie's advice to heart and coming to meet you halfway: he helps you save the day in a legitimately heroic way, lets you have your moment with Meteion, and even phrases his desire for a fight as a request, not a demand. You saying, "Yeah, I really do like to throw down," is both an earnest admission and an olive branch that acknowledges the change he's undergone.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Have the devs said anything about improvements to the queuing situation, at least for stability? I'm getting pretty sick of coming home from work just so I can wait 3 hours in a queue and play for 30 minutes before I need to go to sleep.

Nothing further's coming down the pipeline, in all likelihood. Addressing the remaining 2002 errors in queue would probably require fundamental rewrites to their login backend, and it's probably not worth the programming/QA time to implement immediately. I assume they're expecting for typical trends to take hold and for queues to slowly ease through natural player diffusion, and there's some signs this is taking place: aside from the expected weekend spikes, peak players during the weekday have been slowly but consistently dropping on Steam Charts, with only a peak of 78k today (versus the 95k on early access launch). I would expect that either this week or next week will see queues stabilize, though I expect they'll still be in the 1-2k range for prime time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tabletops posted:

i am half expecting it to get worse during the holiday weekend(s)

It's hard to tell, honestly. Engagement usually drops off rapidly after people've finished up the MSQ and done the easier post-MSQ content like the new expert dungeons, which is why they keep up a consistent 3-month patch cycle and have a mini-patch at the 1.5 month mark to try and draw people back in for a bit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jade Mage posted:

I'd like to think my post was fairly reasonable complaint wise. It's not that they did anything wrong, but it also really hurts the delivery. I even limited the comment to this particular dungeon experience.

I think it's a completely reasonable complaint, and I'd be deeply frustrated in the same situation.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Charles Get-Out posted:

Are any of the role quests actually good? I haven't heard anything positive and the magic dps one was really meh. Like, okay, coda for Ishgard, but covering parts I don't really care about.

The healer role quest is good if you like certain characters from Stormblood and enjoy seeing the conclusion to their individual sagas. I don't think they're mindblowingly amazing, but they're a nice, organic way to tie up loose ends and spend some time with characters who've largely been shuffled away from the MSQ.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I admit to always being a bit tickled about him because of how many times his backstory's been restated. They have this short story that first brings it up, then they mention it again in Heavensward, and then they mention it again in the tank role quest. Poor sap must be a bit tired of bringing it up by now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've been 1 on the queue for like 15 minutes now which seems weird.

IIRC, Yoshida said in a recent Lodestone post that players are admitted in batches of 100, so being stuck at 1 means that the server's waiting for 100 total spots to clear out before admitting anyone else.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Offkorn posted:

So, anyone else suddenly getting "Version Check could not be completed" and red "An Error has occurred" errors when trying to use the launcher?

I'm seeing people saying the same thing on Reddit, so I think whatever server equipment issue they were having earlier in the day returned with a vengeance.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1471308089076826113

guess that same authentication machine from last night went kablooie

Nessus posted:

I'm in a server with someone who just logged in and dinged 90 so something's fucky. I still get the "A technical issue has occured" even if I close and re-launch the launcher.

Yeah, there's gotta be some weird logic behind it. A friend of mine got DCed as soon as the server problems started, but I've been on for a while after and my friends list is still largely filled with the same people who were on an hour before.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Arist posted:

14 days gametime and they're suspending sales of the starter edition? Wow.

I'm genuinely surprised with how it was looking like the queues were starting to settle down some. Maybe they were worried about a Christmas Day surge?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If nothing else, it speaks to this game's public reception that every piece of news and half the memes on Twitter are about people sitting in 6,000 person queues and there's apparently still so many people buying the goddamn thing that they have to stop selling it. It's loving crazy!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CJ posted:

I don't like this narrative that they have to stop selling the game because it's just so popular, when it's more that their login server is so badly coded that it has to throttle logins and randomly resets your connection every 15 minutes.

Even if their login server hadn't had the weird 1.0 error, having to wait in a queue for 3 hours before you can play is still an unpleasant situation for people with limited time in the evenings.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

You get around 6 leves per day, so you can afford to burn those if you want to be efficient. GC turnins can also be a good source of EXP, since, even if you don't wanna spend the time crafting an HQ item, you can usually just buy the item off a vendor and turn it in for a quick boost.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Senator Drinksalot posted:

5pm on a Saturday and there's only 600 in the queue. Guess everyone's finished the story by now?

Yeah, I think we've passed the crest. I hopped on this morning about half an hour later than normal and the queue was even smaller than it was during the weekday (17 vs. 50).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ojetor posted:

Why the hell is this some arcane chat command instead of an actual setting in the settings screen?

I imagine altering the actual options menu involves a deep dive into a bunch of messy-rear end legacy code. The chat command's not especially obvious to people that aren't told about it, but it's also much less likely to make something break.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

So what's the best way to do The Battle of Castrum Lacus Litore these days?

There might be Discord servers you can poke your head into, but CLL and DL are dead in the water right now. Bozja/Zadnor FATE EXP is simply too good compared to the time and potential failure you put into either of the major assaults, so everyone flat out ignores them unless they're one of the rare few trying to progress the quest line. I suspect boosting rewards will be a part of 6.05 if clear rates haven't returned to normal by January.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Also the magitek armor / cannon gimmick fight feels slow and boring as poo poo because nothing can actually hurt you so it's 90% waiting for the Magitek Loaders.

It's also dependent on people being awake enough to grab adds before they ice the Loaders or kill the cannons, and most people are on their phones or chatting on Discord by that point in the run. It's just really unpleasant compared to the AFK EXP of Prae.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Draxion posted:

I HQ'd all my intermediates anyways because it's pretty good xp per craft (way slower but I've only got so many leves), but you don't need to for anything right now

Quick Synthesis with Commercial Manuals is still probably way faster, and it gets you more mats that you can use for collectables. I ended up leveling the majority of my crafters via leves until about 84-85, and then spamming the 83 or 85 collectable (depending on what was cheaper/easier to gather) to max. This'll get you a ton of White Scrip you can use for materia to make a profit, or to turn into more Commercial Manuals for leveling other crafters.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure just like the ShB gear, its' always free from the original vendor so long as you don't currently have a copy on you.

Yup. I junked my SGE stuff to make room, went back, and it's all available for acquisition from the same person as before.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I believe they also mention in that same talk that the Limsa Lominsa opening cutscene with the giant fish monster would outright crash some people's clients with out-of-memory errors because of how absurdly, insanely detailed it was in both textures and skeletal complexity.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zeruel posted:

man I like Sage and everything but I don't know if I know how to play it. maybe it plays better at 90, wall to wall pulling is not indicitive of trials/raids.
or maybe I'm just better suited to unga bunga caveman brain ranking where I only really have to worry about myself, and maybe throwing tbn onto people who might die.

The fact that SGE's initial leveling dungeon range is 71-79 will end up leaving new healers with a sour taste in their mouth. Even for experienced healers, it can be a truly nightmare experience because of how difficult certain pulls are, especially when neither you nor the tank are downscaled for that dungeon's range. 80+ is mostly smooth sailing, since you have access to both Panhaima and Haima and can alternate between the two on large pulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

I'm that schmuck who leveled Sage 71-80 in Zadnor, but I imagine the dungeon trash pulls in that range go something like

Pull 1: Haima
Pull 2: use everything

You usually just replace Panhaima with Soteria and try to figure out which pulls are toughest so that you can use Haima on whatever's gonna require the most healing. You also make use of Zoe-enhanced E.Diagnosis a lot more than usual. Obviously, this is all dependent on your tank rotating cooldowns and your DPS not being asleep at the wheel, but that's the case with most healers from 71-79.