Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, bosses are gentle compared to the trash pulls. if people were standing in lots of bad the healer might come out of a fight with a bunch of stuff on cooldown but really the bosses are the opportunity for the tank and healer to reset between pulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

the two post-msq level 90 dungeons are pretty toothless. The double pulls are fine even with an incompetent healer (or an incompetent tank if the healer if on top of things) so you should feel free to just always go for it

the problems i've had with "big" pulls in the ex dungeons have been due to awful dps. tanks and healers in 89 gear can keep up with the doubles just fine otherwise

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

3/4 of the dps in p2 are working with brink of death debuffs for most the fight so if you can avoid the floor you're gonna rank well

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

On the subject of parse padding, not sure if it's the influx of insane people from other MMOs or what, but people getting insanely angry and screaming mad in party chat because someone LBd and it didn't let them finish their rotation and thus made their parse not as big, is now a much more common occurrence in PF than it ever was before anecdotally. Really weird. I literally saw NONE of that before EW. Did some big ex-wow streamer make a 3 hour video about how you should kill yourself if you don't parse orange or something??

sounds like excellent cause/material for a report

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

re tank responsibilities chat i'm curious how people view dragging the boss back to the center/aligning after mechanics. i've flip flopped a couple times on the matter but currently i'm in the "move the boss as little as possible" part of the cycle so if the boss runs over to the side or turns to do a targeted mechanic i'll usually slot myself into their relative 12 o'clock position asap and just hold them there. maybe pull them out from the wall a bit to give melee dps room to move around or if they have mechanics that benefit from having them centered in the arena when they go off

i'm doing normal content tho so i assume poo poo gets more interesting in ex and savage

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i think a lot of bosses now have phases where they teleport back to the middle and re-align themselves which are good opportunities to reset positioning without having to do a weird little curving kiting move but :shrug:

from when i play melee dps i mostly appreciate the tank being consistent in a fight. if the boss has turned and i've moved to their rear end then i appreciate it if the tank keeps them pointed that way till the next mechanic but i can also deal with them resetting the boss as long as they do it consistently and also aren't dancing around between mechanics. but i know some people like it when the boss is always returned to facing a certain heading so i dunno

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i mean, the og dark trainer doesn't actually exist and everyone would rather forget that pld existed at all

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i highly encourage it if you aren't in a rush. i leveled all crafters and gatherers to 80 almost exclusively on gc turn-ins, beast tribes, custom deliveries, and facet exp

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

adhuin posted:

On other hand, if you don't care about actual crafting, why are you leveling them? :thunk:

Funhavers craft their own and learn to do some macros.

quests, beast tribes, repairing and melding junk, and some of the best drat glams in the game

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Frida Call Me posted:

right i don't doubt the ability for someone to level to 81 without knowing how to play, i doubt the ability for anyone to level to 81 without having helpful advice offered to them when they're clearly playing extremely poorly.

past a certain point (most tanks getting their heal/sustain abilities) a single party member being completely unable to perform their job, short of the tank repeatedly wall-pulling and falling over dead three seconds later, is irrelevant. the game is tuned for normal content be completable by a tank with their stance off, a healer fishing for free- procs, and dps hitting their 1 button every seven seconds. the vast majority of pubbie party interactions consists of "o/" and "gg". nearly every time i've had someone completely loving up to the point that progression wasn't possible (which is pretty rare, given that the bar is six feet underground) the response from the other party members has been to silently (or not so silently) drop out

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

also i have like one brain cell to work with and it's pretty taxed dealing with the heavy burden of remembering how many times to press the BIG SWORDS SLAM DOWN button depending on what level i'm synched to so trying to diagnose others' bad play beyond "standing in bad" and "not pressing buttons" in the heat of the moment is...difficult

hell i've run thru dungeons with kardia off/on the wrong target and no one said a loving thing, even other goons

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've heard people have been running the current extremes without healers at all :v:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Second extreme if you do this do the things that target healers hit random players instead or is it predictable in some way?

there's rules and it's not even remotely close to deadly even with just two people stackin' if people know what they're doin'

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

personally i'm a fan of just "do your daily roulettes and then (literally anything else other than grinding)". unless you're in a hurry for a particular job or whatever

beast tribes are decent in stb at least, if you aren't doing those. and frontlines "roulette" too since a lot of people sleep on that one

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yup, some good quests locked behind those if you haven't bothered with them before. and even better if you manage to align some gathering with your hunts

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Steelion posted:

Yeah you drop one unbuffed atonement near the end of the cycle to keep your buffs lined up correctly, otherwise you drift by a gcd every minute. It's a minor optimization, but its there. You can also pop requiescat really early, about halfway through your first royal authority combo, though functionally all this does is mean that if you have to disengage at an awkward time you can still keep your magic phase lined up correctly.

i was wondering if i should drop an atonement it just feels so weird to do so, bleh

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

what magical world are yall living in where the tank isn't the highest dps by a good margin in an exdr and you have to do 2-1-1 pulls between bosses because the first pull takes so long all your mitigation is on cooldown

i want to live there :smith:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Valentin posted:

I have at last discovered a new and extremely silly version of tanxiety, which is the fear that if the main tank is bad (or PLD) and you're autopiloting too hard you can accidentally pick up enmity and direct a cleave into the party, thereby lengthening the time it takes to complete the dancing plague.

on the other hand, this near-wipe has given me a new goal in trial and raid roulettes: time a provoke well enough to direct a cleave or fast aoe into my friend who likes to troll with rescue

cheetah7071 posted:

turn off tank stance if you aren't main tank and it'll never happen. You'll generate less enmity than the dps, even

learn to use and love shirk / stance dance. it's handy to actually have an emnity lead over everyone else if the mt suddenly eats poo poo and it's good practice for higher level content (well, the mt having terribad dps isn't such an issue there but being able to manage emnity is a useful skill to develop)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Begemot posted:

Yeah, if I'm off-tanking I usually just wait a few GCDs before turning my stance on, so the main tank can get a good lead on me but I'm not behind all the DPS.

Though it is funny when there's a person trying really hard to MT despite being undergeared or just being bad at their job, so you end up taking aggro back without even trying :allears:

i was running p1n and gave the mt an entire pld rotation's headstart before turning stance on and completely zoning out

i was eventually rudely reawoken by a tankbuster :negative:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the other thing is to not position youself in the dps blob unless for stack mechanics or group heals or whatever. usually when i'm offtanking i pick a forward flank position; far enough back that i'm not getting cleaved/busted with the mt, but safely away from everyone else so they don't get splashed with dual busters or a surprise cleave

sometimes a healer will make it their mission to stand with you and eat every buster splash. i don't kinkshame

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Trash Ops posted:

tanking is the easiest role in the game

it's true

except maybe healing if your party is decent

i'm not entirely sure what's driven s-e to make healers completely superfluous in everything but the hardest content but it sure is a choice

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

If the tank can't keep up on aggro even with Shirk you should just Provoke and tank yourself imo.

that's how you get provoke wars and i can't be botherered

if it's actually a problem once you've got a good bit of enmity yourself you can just turn off stance and coast till the end anyway

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

you don't even have to be attacking. throw out an aoe heal (because the dps are all taking a lot of damage because none of the tanks have their stance on)? death sentence

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

arr alc turned out good at the end but up till the reveal it was, uh, not great?

hw crafting quests are why half my doh jobs still don't have manipulation

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

https://twitter.com/King_of_Solomon/status/1487979623405309954

God, I'm so close. I'll probably get the remaining crafters to 90 tomorrow.

i spent the weekend getting my last few doh jobs to 90 and knocking out a full set of gear for both doh and dol; then it was pentamelding time :suicide: (it wasn't actually that bad 'cause i went for a cheaper setup that suits my needs and didn't blindly purchase hilariously overpriced V materia)

i know it's dumb but i'm actually kinda chuffed having a full set of gear with my own name stamped on it :v:

next up: kitting out my combat jobs with classical gear so i never have to set foot in p2 with pubbies ever again

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Fiye posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to when you had to penta meld one at a time. Blowing up 50 Grade X materia instead of failing them one by one will always feel better.

i get sympathetic anxiety just standing next to someone and hearing the simultaneous materia melding/crunching sfx. i can't imagine listening to failure dozens of times in a row for a single slot

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

reaper's tooltips mostly just made me smell toast but slapping everything on my bars and watching the meters and procs had me figure it out eventually

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i would like to thank Godbert Manderville himself for getting my dumb can't-count-to-four rear end to see p1s enrage. you are a saint. 10/10 would flare bomb the party again

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bruceski posted:

The WHM picks that cooldown as the time to start spamming Holy anyway.

look, when the tank first runs in they're taking damage which means i have the heal them, right? and then they stop taking damage so i can finally start casting holy!

something something first do no harm :eng101:

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 11, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

bring sajuuk to bear

orange juche posted:

People get all wild about who's going to get stepped on sometimes

it's the most important part of the fight :colbert:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

who the gently caress is screaming "JUST WIPE" in party chat. show yourself, coward. i will never just wipe

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i think the current hotness is pld soloing p2n for two hours or something like that

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i am actually cracking up at this. it's beautiful. this is art

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've always found gaze attack timing a little wonky so now i just make sure to stay pointed away until i actually see the "miss" notification for it pop up in the feed

might have something to do with how aoe effects/damage are actually applied sequentially to each player or something? :shrug:

<e> castbar vs animation is something i've been paranoid about too

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Surprised "party members" aren't on there.

they'd have to be doing or contributing to damage tho :v:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

now that i think about it do trusts consume the first-time duty completion bonus? are they driving poor khloe out of business?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

none of the tanks work off procs like brd/dnc/rdm. gnb is even more rigid/unforgiving than pld. drk is kinda a mess of ogcds but maaaaaaaybe closer to what you're looking for? and war...i dunno if mashing fell cleave over and over actually qualifies as a rotation

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

finally load into the 87 dungeon after a half-hour wait (lol dps queues), notice in the first pull that the tank is getting mighty low on hp and looks like they had to panic smash that invuln button but whatever we make it thru. second pull we wipe and ask the healer if they want to do small pulls to which the healer replies "that was just a bad situation"(?)

so we do the pull again and even tho half the mobs are already dead from the first go-round the tank falls over again. tank tells the healer that dps-ing is fine and all but they do actually need to press a heal every now and then. healer responds by asking why they didn't use any mitigation (they were, we could all see it in the party list)

so we kick the healer, complete the pull, and go on to clear the first boss without a healer at all which goes perfectly fine

new healer loads in, immediately says "sorry yall i'm high as gently caress", and we go on to smash thru the rest of the dungeon at full tilt

some people just bad at the game :shrug:

(they weren't even doing decent dps either they just straight up weren't pressing buttons)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

also had someone ask if they could upload my techno-samurai glam to zoomer tiktok. what a night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

dungeon drops start getting better at X5. hq white gear around the same or maybe a little later; honestly hardly pay it any attention other than slapping it on if the msq gives it to me

nq white gear/vendor stuff just...don't

stormblood's stat curve was pretty gnarly tho, yeah, which is how bardem's got such a reputation.