Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

IcePhoenix posted:

personal gut feeling is that we'll be doing stuff with Graha/Krile and Estinien since we know they're going to be in the hub cities for at least the first couple content patches

Alternately: this is an anime so make 6.1 the beach episode

Split the difference.

We know Corvus got hosed up by the Terminus Beasts, the worst of ANYWHERE, it's also the original Garlean homeland. There's a non-zero chance that both Island Sanctuary will be there and an ongoing plot of 'Where do we house the tiny fraction of Garleans who actually SURVIVED?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It seems like it's exactly the same as the ST rotation. Every ST attack has an equivalent AOE attack so you just press that button instead.

The main difference is in the Astral Flows. Titan's Astral Flow is single target, but can be spammed after each use of the ST or AoE ability. Ifrit's Astral Flow can be used twice, once for a single target dash attack and once again immediately after for a short range AoE attack. Garuda's is a single use AoE with a castbar where her ST and AoE attacks are instant.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

queeb posted:

titans astral flow is AOE as well, though its only like 45 potency each for the additional targets

Another thing I forgot, Garuda's Astral Flow AoE is a ground-based DoT patch.

There's going to be a certain amount of system mastery that comes from when to use a given Astral Flow or member of the Three Amigos on a given encounter.

Garuda gives you a lot of instant ability charges, but her attacks are the weakest. Ifrit gives you only two charges and they have cast times, but boy do they hurt. Titan's are instant and somewhere between the two in damage, but also have a medium number of ability charges.

Which ones you use when are going to depend on how your tank is pulling, how well enemies are clumping together and how fast everything is melting.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

gay_crimes posted:

i can’t accept this!!!

There is a possibility left open that maybe he just collapsed. Or maybe he died. Maybe we'll see him again. Maybe we won't. One way or another, I don't expect to see him again any time soon.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Nodosaur posted:

also

Fandaniel: Okay I left my clone in Syrcus Tower.
Emet: Wh
Emet: Why did you make him giant

We already know the answer to this: After the Allag unlocked the secret of growth magic from Sephirot, it became trendy to be huge. This is actually where Gigas come from, people who were stuck as gigantic after the empire fell and the tech to reverse it collapsed. Subsequent generations mutated.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought that moment was rather anticlimactic after what had just come before lol, almost comedic

My take on it was: Asahi was an rear end in a top hat, but he was also wronged at least a little in all this. Having him be the one to drag Hermes off to Hell was a nice touch.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever been this viscerally affected by the game before. My heart is still beating heavily and it’s hard to breathe.

I think there should have been some kind of warning cuz I am NOT okay after that

At some point I want to double check the cinematics for that room. And see if the pistol had been there the whole time.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Thundarr posted:

Sometimes she gets drunk on bean beer.

She's also kind of self conscious about being taken seriously by non-Padjal and uses makeup to make herself look older.

And her bodyguard has a massive crush on her, but is so intimidated by her that he can't work up the nerve to spit it out.

There's a lot of low key stuff about her that's pretty interesting, but her trials are less nation-shaking and more the personal trials and tribulations of being a weird hybrid of Hyur and Elemental.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Begemot posted:

They just do a shitload of damage. It's 1300 potency for Akh Morn/Revelation now, when it used to be 600, because you only get one cast each time you summon them instead of two.

I have noticed that I peel off a lot more mobs from tanks if I summon Bahamut right away, it's kind of fun :allears:

There is a bit of a taunt on the Demis as well, to offset the damage.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Kerrzhe posted:

i legitimately cannot believe that i forgot Godbert Manderville is fuckin' santa claus

Who else could possibly deliver personally crafted, handmade creations to every girl and boy in all of Eorzea in a single night? :allears:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Pharohman777 posted:

There is a lot of good stuff they can reference or allude to.

Endorph posted:

All we really know about the New World is tapirs and mamool ja. The Mamool Ja homeland in FF11 was a rainforest. So I'd expect more of a South American or Amazonian theme if we do ever go there, not a North American or Aztec theme.

We don't know a huge amount about the New World other than that there's a reverence towards a Moon God there, and that a Voidsent got curbstomped for trying to impersonate them. And that there are multiple places where Ceruleum can be accessed from near surface deposits.

cheetah7071 posted:

Dragons own let's go to dragonland

I feel like, one way or another, upcoming content will involve dragons, though. Just based on the current trajectory of things.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hellioning posted:

DRK is either top damage dealing tank or second most after Gunbreaker.

As a part-time healer I have noticed I need to heal DRK more then another tank but it could just be me getting bad DRKs.

DRK has to mash The Blackest Night and play that game of chicken, which encourages them to not use their tank cooldowns until after it pops.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Kerrzhe posted:

Akasa/dynamis made perfect sense to me as soon as it was brought up. you know why? because think of the 2 things you need to summon a primal: 1) a bucket of aether crystals and 2) raw emotion. emotion and prayer have always had an inexplicable power in FFXIV and now there's something to finally explain it a bit. i think it works really well.

I wonder how many people did the Dancer job quests in Shadowbringers and were just :stare: throughout the entire latter half of this launch.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Professor Beetus posted:

LMAO I didn't even think of that. I should have leveled dancer to 90 and done the MSQ on that instead of switching out for machinist. :allears:

I swapped from MCH to the other during late ShB and liked to rotation so much that I just stayed with it as my main.

The MSQ has me jumping at SHADOWS right now regarding that Job.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Xerophyte posted:

Alternatively, (EW endgame) 108 stars means that 7.0 will in fact be the start of an extended Suikoden arc. It'll culminate in the world's most fully featured pachinko simulator being added to the Gold Saucer, furthering FF14's hold on the critical Japanese gambler demographic.

Julyan Manderville hears about what the Sharlayans are doing to food and establishes Kitchen Stadium.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I know its unlikely, but I really hope one or more of the remaining Ascians just said "gently caress all this taking over the world poo poo" and settled down somewhere quiet to become a fisherman or w/e.

I would be extremely amused if the remaining Red Masks show up and are like 'Azem, we need your help. It's the hired help we brought on. Without Lahabrea, Elidibus and Emet-Selch to keep them in line they've all run off to go into business for THEMSELVES.' And we're just up to our hips in people who treat going Black Mask like lichdom in D&D. Bonus points if Nybeth gets offended at all these people who figure out how to be immortal without dying first.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

I wonder how much of SAM damage is based off of having a DNC in the party. :v:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

suuma posted:

wasn't there like, a pot that had more textures in it than player characters did in 1.0

:science: A potted plant!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Tamba posted:

The 'flowerpot had as many polygons as a character' was from their own presentation at GDC, not something people made up
https://www.vg247.com/final-fantasy-14s-focus-on-visuals-hurt-end-product-yoshida-explains-how-it-bounced-back

Some people have argued about how accurate the statement was, but the presentation also talked about the various shaders and so on involved, not just the polycount. After you factor in the code, the flower pot very well may have had as many resources devoted to it as a player character.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

CJ posted:

The game definitely has a pattern of setting stuff up for the expansion after in the post patches. Yugiri and the Doma stuff is in 2.x, WoD is 3.4, i can't remember if there's anything Endwalker in the 4.x though.

I think it's probably around the time that they are writing the story so they can seed some stuff to set it up. I don't believe that they had it all planned out from the start though except in very very broad strokes.

I feel like the Seat of Azem reveal in 5.x is a gift that will just keep on giving in this story. I'm still finding little Easter eggs they seem to have put in the environment from the very start tracing back to that. The big thing about 4.x was probably the Light = Stasis and 'stagnant aether' plot, setting up a change in how we saw the cosmology of the setting.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Speaking of pixies, I know it's mentioned they're made from the souls of children or whatever, but they're not viewed as children, right? Because there's a dwarf thing where you give Tyr Beq some booze and that's really weird otherwise!

They aren't children anymore, they're capricious dream creatures.

FuturePastNow posted:

Aren't Viera supposed be like 90% female because they send their males off to live alone in the wilderness where most of them die?

Viera have weird birth rates, the same Mi'qote do, coupled with primary sex characteristics not appearing until after puberty starts. (And before you ask, yes, this is a thing that can happen in humans IRL, and is a documented condition in the Dominican Republic.)

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 26, 2021

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

escape mechanism posted:

I can see that about Il Mheg, but Mor Dhona is such a nightmare of bad crystal textures and confusing navigation it's hard to see it in Lakeland

It's a different part of Mor Dhona, too. We're on the west side of the tower instead of the east side.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hogama posted:

It's not like a 1:1 with Lakeland at all but it might help visualization of space to see what 1.0's Mor Dhona looked like outside of cinematics, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cl2E0tJdLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKUynGGV7Dk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c7Y1FviUxM

I was misremembering my layout. This has the maps for 1.0 and ARR, we have access to less of Mor Dhona in ARR than we do in 1.0.

https://www.ffxivinfo.com/maps/mor-dhona

The fun bit is that there was an open world dungeon on the south side of 1.0's Mor Dhona that was labelled as Xande's Tomb. I'm curious about what happened to that, or if there might have been anything interesting to find there. Maybe we'll go back one day? Maybe not.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Gruckles posted:

Both zones are west of the crystal tower. I believe The Ostall Imperative is roughly where Revenant's Toll is, and the most western part where the tangle and castrum would be are cut off. Instead the area on the northern shore of the lake is expanded greatly rather than just being a big pit.

I somehow got turned around. The Source is further south than Silvertear Lake is, but the collision of the Agrius with the surface may have just flatout moved the lake north.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Barreft posted:

I leveled my DNC to 90 using the MSQ. Now I'm playing SMN at 81 and it rules. What's the fastest way to level right now? Just running dungeons?

FATE trains, unused daily roulettes and your highest level dungeon, basically.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Mainwaring posted:

ShB stuff: Has it ever been explained why only Emet, Lahabrea and Elidibus escaped sundering?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Gobbeldygook posted:

another thing I never bothered using for a long time was focus-target. I finally started using it when I was working my way through the Alexander raids because I kept dying because I was healing people instead of monitoring the boss's cast bar.

Focus targeting is something I think everyone can find some kind of use for.