Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
However, it's hilarious you can't copy the miner/botanist bars as easily. Because although their abilities are identical, they all have their own fluff names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mind over Matter posted:

I could have sworn that despite the different names, doing a copy between those jobs would switch it to the correct abilities. It's been ages since I've done it though, so maybe I'm recalling incorrectly.
Maybe it worked at some point, but the last time I tried this was about three months ago and it definitely didn't do that, then.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just :lol: why do you even roll, the gear will be obsolete soon I mean just :lmao:

-FF14 goons, probably

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I also thought the part between the 77 and 79 dungeons was way too fast and easy, even for a fantasy/anime game. (Eulmore leadup to 79 dungeon spoiler) First quickly freeing Eulmore, then doing a bunch of quests to set up a huge golem literally pulling a flying mountain out of the sky? Come on :laffo:

It was fun to watch, but also extremely silly.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't see the problem? If the item can go in the armoire, nothing stops you from adding it to the dresser with an expensive dye instead. If you don't care about the dye, adding it to the armoire would be better than using one of your limited dresser slots.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't think the HW / SB dailies are that far off, but their problem (compared to pixies) is you need to do twice the quests for similar (in % of the expansion's levels) gains, and they require more travelling and clicking more stuff as well. Pixies are "snort two trees/mushrooms, click one or two things, kill a mob or two, return" and if you have to go to the far north there are two more aetherytes nearby. HW/SB is "go to three opposite sides of the map, far from aetherytes, kill or click 3-6 things each" x2 tribes. It's not a huge difference but if you're doing it almost every day it becomes noticeable and it adds up.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Are ancient effects like Aero III still in the game? I would totally mod that in.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
People wiping to Cruise Chaser / propeller winds is common even with normal sync rules in normal raids roulette.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Exactly. The only place gear has any real mattering is savage content.
Yeah except for the thing where new MSQ, trials, and normal/ally raids require an ever increasing item level. There are several points in the expansion cycle where your next MSQ dungeon will require a higher item level than what you get from the last one, and that doesn't even include the weapon so gear keeps mattering, unless you keep upgrading to crafted gear (not really what I'd consider "not caring about gear") or plan to be several patches behind with the MSQ until the next expansion launches.

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 11, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Realistically you will have gear from other places, like normal/ally raids and tomestones. But taking breaks or going lazy absolutely will hit points where the MSQ requires more gear than what you can get from the MSQ itself and the old unlimited tomestones barely help - you'll have to buy crafted upgrades or farm a lot of tomestones and raid tokens. In ShB, Heroes' Gauntlet required an item level of 460 but the previous dungeon (Anamnesis Anyder) dropped 455. Paglth'an required 490 but Matoya's Relic dropped 485. At the time, you could get unlimited tomestone gear + normal raid weapons that matched the requirements (460/490), but that was a lot of farming to hit a baseline for a dungeon just to continue the MSQ, which was also useless for the next content drop vs. having gear from capped tomestones (490/520) and crafted gear/normal raid tokens (480/510).

You can ignore part of the treadmill occasionally as a "casual", you can't escape it. FF14 is not that game and someone who wishes the endgame gear was strictly cosmetic is probably not talking about "but actually you can get along fine by only farming the unlimited tomestones and unrestricted raid drops all the time!".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zanael posted:

Fem Hyur's default idle pose and running animation could use a tweak or two also...
Do not touch my anime princess animations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BisbyWorl posted:

He's too busy following the drat train.
:laffo: I just clicked through my open tabs and didn't realize I wasn't in a GTA one for a second when the post above yours mentioned CJ.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If it's a sprout, try to turn the boss in a safe direction (usually there's no safe direction).

C) for everyone else.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

The 6.1 special site updated, with the most important, long-awaited news. After all these years, it's finally here.

The Emote.
Holy poo poo.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh what the hell, Overpower is not a cone attack anymore and you can no longer power up Tomahawk with Inner Release in aggro fights :eek:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It takes your search info comment.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm not sure why, maybe some of you steeped in housing can say, but the FC empyrean ward my FC transferred to is still largely empty. only 6 of the plots have houses and all the rest are up for auction with 0 bids. Do they need to consolidate FC wards and open more for individual?

AncientSpark posted:

People are assuming that the devs drastically over-estimated the demand for FC housing, especially for small plots and for less populated servers. The breakdown is 75% FC, 25% individual right now in Ishgard; a lot of people are asking for something closer to 50-50%.

Rynoto posted:

75-25 is hilariously overkill. 10-90 would have been way closer.

Macaluso posted:

I mean only 6 wards for individuals but loving 19 for FCs is completely ridiculous, especially when it's already so hard for a single person to get a house.

After just one lottery cycle is way too early to tell. Even a single player can have the money for a medium or large plot after a few years of playing, you can only bid on one house per lottery cycle so naturally a lot of FCs put in bids for medium or large houses this first time. Now that those houses are gone the next bidding cycle will have FCs who lost their bids compete for smalls. And after that another cycle or two should also get rid of most inferior lots (and by that time every bot FC and people who sell/buy houses through small FCs will porobably have had their >30d to be eligible so that will also get rid of a few more FC-only lots). Seeing empty FC-only lots is a temporary thing.

Considering houses were originally intended for FCs and have FC-only features like the workshop and voyages, I think it's reasonable to give FCs priority in some way. The problem is that supply lags several years behind housing demand now (and auto-demolition remaining off for the foreseeable future will not make it better), and that's just for FCs. There's simply no way the current system is adequate for anyone even if you shuffle the percentage of FC-only housing, that just makes it more unfair for FCs vs. individuals.

The fact that everyone and their cat can also afford mediums and often even larges is an additional problem on top of the overly limited number of housing plots. Larger houses have some issues (the indoor item limit can be too low for very elaborate housing shenanigans) but also noticeable advantages (more gardening plots, larger yards with higher outdoor item limits, more room inside) so they're more desirable for everyone who can afford them - there are a lot more FCs and individuals who are competing for larger houses nowadays, but the wards are designed with lot/item limits for the PS3 days and with lot size distributions appropriate for a time when only really large/rich FCs were expected to have large houses in the first place. It's just a huge shitshow and they would have to review their entire approach to housing to ever fix this.

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 17, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Itzena posted:

What reddit post? I was looking at it myself yesterday on Omega. Just went and had another look now:

Statistically and assuming worst-case (one bidder per plot i.e. 50% chance to get the "zero wins" bug, assuming its the off-by-one error everyone seems to think it is) that would mean that half the plots bid on would not be won. Multiple bids on the same plot would, of course, reduce the chance of the "zero wins" bug.

So that would make this particular ward&subdivision had, statistically, two plots which were bid upon.

I think part of the issue is that so many FCs didn't want to "settle" for a small so they've run around bidding on mediums and larges so you end up with wards/subdivisions with three/four/five plots bought & occupied - all larges or mediums - and all of the smalls are empty. In that case, I think leaving the smalls to sit empty while FCs stand around waiting for a bigger plot to open up is going to be an ongoing issue which Square will have to eventually sort out...most likely by just opening up the FC-only wards.
Plenty of the FC only smalls had zero bids but all the larges/mediums on Excal had between 5 and 80 (EULA :laffo:) bids, wait with the doom and gloom until FCs actually had the opportunity to also bid on smalls, without bugs locking them out.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ah I guess I missed that (I mostly checked the larges). Still, that's hundreds of bids for the larges alone, of which many should filter down to the available smalls (and those FC lots opening up in the old housing zones).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Winning the housing lottery and having to wait to get your house is actually punishment, please accept this donation of 50 million gil. :thunk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It makes sense in the restrictions set by the original system. Retainer classes/jobs are tied to how they're available to players and you can't freely change retainers without reseting them to level 1, so for combat you can only assign a single class and upgrade to its job. Except expansion jobs don't have base classes and no gear below their starting level so it would be impossible to make anything but ARR jobs - consider being able to switch any base class to expansion jobs at the proper level the exception to the "no class switching" rule.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sorry guys, wrap it up. All discussion is useless here because it won't change the game.
:goonsay:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

super-redguy posted:

Did the new Stone Vigil recently and isn't boss 3 basically the same? It's obviously a step down from boss 2 which got revamped, but I didn't notice any real changes to boss 3 so it's just working with its old stuff in comparison.
It's only a minor change, when the boss takes flight the 2nd time it used to spawn AoE circles under players, which persisted for a while while it did the flyby covering 1/3 of the arena twice. Now it's just AoE damage, no persistent freeze zones.

And the reason is probably related to the "trust" AI again (the persistent ice circles only got spawned on the player when you ran the dungeon with squadrons).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fiye posted:

Also when the boss comes back down it does it directly in the center of the arena and not on top of the tank.
That's probably also AI related. It's a notable challenge with the squadron because their AI tanks only try to turn bosses around when they first engage - in SV it was common for the dragon to come down on the wrong side of the tank and breathe on the entire party and potentially one-shot the player.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They got rid of the lower level with the patrolling toad after the first boss in Dzemael Darkhold which is THE WORST. How do we get randos punted down there, taking a lot of fall damage and aggroing a few friends now?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There are different aspects to that discussion, I think people acknowledge that vanilla Totorak was more interesting as a place (the alternative routes and pointless side rooms added to the feeling of it being an actual place in the game world, not just a corridor to repeatedly run through in 10-15 minutes) but they can also conclude that it was somewhat unfun to actually play more than once (requirement to track down/not miss the magitek photocells you pass, there's basically no mob variety, all the corridors look the same, the first two bosses are just scaled up trash mobs, there's zero point to explore the alternative paths and the side rooms in the same run, the slowing goop and spider webs are just an unnecessary annoyance and don't add anything fun). New Totorak removes some of the parts that made it unfun, but it also feels much less interesting as a place now if one cares about that.

Before 6.1, it was a better lowbie dungeon than Copperbell though, because at least you could run it in slightly above 10 minutes (despite the goop) because bosses didn't rely on invulnerability and timed gimmicks.

Griz posted:

did they fix the colors or is it still a white divebomb marker on a white floor?
I only got it once in roulette so far, but I think it's still the same color (white breath on white/light blue floor :v:).

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 25, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Electric Phantasm posted:

Accepted some Namazu quest with the wrong crafter, if I cancel them are they gone for good or can I go back and accept again with the crafter I want to level?
If you abandon the current day's dailies, you can pick them up again on a different class. If you abandon them later, then you can only pick up the new day's quests and only once you abandoned or finished all the remaining dailies in your log from previous days.

E: This is different from leves which eat an allowance when you accept them, you won't get it back if you abandon or retry those.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
:laffo: "great stress and frustration" are you serious, I'm sure that was a bigger issue for the people who didn't actually win their (for a long time probably the only) chance to win a house, but also didn't get it for free because SE is incompetent.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

To be clear they did not actually say you get anything for surrendering the money they are unwilling to forcibly take from you. They have shown time and again that they won't do data rollbacks or forcibly take things from players. Bank error in the player's favor indeed.
The obvious solution was to just reroll the lottery on affected plots. No one knew they won. There were hundreds and thousands of people who also didn't win and never will, adding some folks who technically, behind the scenes, would have won would have been small fry compared to this shitshow.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

So to be clear you want people to suffer because of SE's mistake so you feel better? Wouldn't it feel way shitter to think you lost, decide to spend the cash on a mount/crafting gear/whatever and then find out you won and couldn't afford it anymore?
They said they were going to determine how people would pay if they won later, if someone had a bid on an affected plot and spent all that money between that announcement and today's how is that "suffering" and SE's fault? :psyduck:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"How could you possible handle this conundrum of people having spent all their money in the past weeks, after they were told their bid on a house might have won and they should take their refund because in the future there will be a way to pay again in case they actually won the plot behind the scenes???"
:goonsay:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There are obviously a lot of reasons to get off Win7 in 2022, but Windows 7 got TLS 1.2 support years ago :confused: (I remember because ages ago I had to make sure for a different software that wasn't using 1.0/1.1 anymore)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
This is only the 2nd lottery round, FCs are still focusing on the remaining larges and mediums. You can't make judgement calls on whether 18 FC wards are too many until after another 2-3 lotteries.

Yes I know it's frustrating seeing empty FC plots while you and another 20 people want the same personal housing plot. But that's the entire point. Correcting too many FC-only wards is possible, correcting too few would not be because there would be no plots left after the first round.

Non-FC houses were a mistake.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah that's why both mediums in my ward (grandfathered into a FC-only one) had zero bids when I went to bed.
Maybe FCs are also trying to get "better" spots first? There could be a ton of reasons, as long as there are exclusive wards the FCs have a choice and don't need to settle for any available plot yet.

It's completely anecdotal, but I can play that game too. On Excal, over 300 bids cover the last 6 large FC plots in Shirogane and Ishgard (I didn't check the other housing zones), and across both of these zones 109 medium FC plots are for sale. Medium FC plots in Shirogane had 9 bids on average earlier, I walked past several in Ishgard with only one signup so I assume some of them are still at 0. There's clearly demand for the larger plots and some of that will filter down as the larger plots, preferred locations, plots near friends etc. are taken.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mind over Matter posted:

That and/or just don't have gameplay features locked behind houses. I don't know how many people there are who only have a personal house so they can garden, but I bet I'm nowhere near the only one. Subs/Airships too to a lesser extent.
I think it extends beyond gardening, designing your yard (even with the comically low item limits) and having a significantly bigger volume with 2-3 floors to decorate is also a huge boon to those who want to express their creativity in interior/exterior design.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Most of the goon FCs crossbreed chocobird onions on Excalibur, you could always join one of those and ask for the onion :)

Before you server hop you can check cross-server pricing on https://universalis.app/market/8166, sometimes the data is too old to be useful but you can usually tell whether your own server is over-/underpriced at a glance.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's true that gardening is busywork and doing it for the handful of valuable crops is tedious, and a large number of crops are just not worth farming, but it's also true that people without a house or FC roles for gardening don't get a choice to begin with and it doesn't have to be this way.

That said, if you do want to mess with gardening, offers to manage someone's garden as a tenant is not the worst way to go about it, or you can try to volunteer in your FC if it has a house (this obviously doesn't fix any of the other reasons to have a house over a small apartment/FC room).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh no a bikini :v:

Welcome (back) to FF14

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
code:
/hotbar remove # all
will clear hotbar number # (1-10)

if you want to do this for several classes you can put them in a macro like
code:
/hotbar remove 1 all
/hotbar remove 2 all
etc.
for controller bars it's /chotbar instead

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I caught a Titanic Sawfish today and handed it in. I assume that this signals the end of all other hobbies and indeed basic hygiene.
Condolences but also grats, it was nice knowing you :v: