Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I Like Both Parts (and also I largely like SB more than HW)

It's really good tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

mostly it just seems like there's people who wish endwalker was the story they wanted to write instead of the story the writers wanted to write. like the writers clearly love zenos and think hes a rad villain. and hes used pretty effectively in endwalker. but if you hate zenos then him being used like that is gonna annoy you. but that doesnt mean its bad you just dont like him as a personal taste thing

The writers are correct.

Also stormblood is sick

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I forgive Fordola anyway

This.

Fordola's extremely cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why did this child who saw her dad beaten to death infront of her, decide she hated her countrymen for treating her like poo poo, and join the bad guys when she was like 14. She should be murdered instead for not lying down and taking the abuse from other ala migans quite frankly.

I mean the bad guys also treated her like poo poo and she hated them too.

Anyway Fordola's circumstances feel like a genuine consequence of someone being born under imperial rule and living her entire life under it. It feels real, this is a thing that happens in colonised countries and it's really sad and awful. When it wants to Stormblood discusses imperialism and colonisation in ways i'd never expect a game to and it's usually pretty nuanced and interesting. Like the game's actually challenging people to look at what imperial regimes and poo poo do beyond just having a surface level reading. It's good!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Of course, but you expect the people who invaded your homeland to treat you like poo poo, so it makes sense to me that she'd carry even more resentment towards her own countrymen for what they did to her family. Doesn't matter if they were collaborators or not.

Yeah it all makes sense. But like you got Arenvald there who went through similar poo poo (even if its not like discussed as much) and he's nowhere near as much of a hateful bastard so I don't think she needed to go down the path she did, though it's all very easy to understand.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ilberd's a hero.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Word’s just really weird. Why wouldn’t you just say “Yshtola is cool” instead of calling her a wife?

Like I know it’s just strange Internet pseudo irony posting where you have to turn talking about a video game character into kind of a joke but it’s still dumb.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hellioning posted:

It's weird because in some ways it does portray him well (he's put in charge of one of the caravans, he helps you out a lot, he's less self-aggrandizing than he used to be) but the other half of the time he's just pure comedy.

See also: Magnai.

Magnai's been pure comedy since the Stormblood expansions.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Drusila is cool

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bussamove posted:

I do kind of miss Hard dungeons. It was fun seeing what had changed and what new threat had moved in that we needed to punch. Plus I have fond memories of chain-running Brayflox hard to save the cheese. :v:

I miss them so much. Hard dungeons were great.

E: I guess they weren't actually any harder than their contemporaries but still I was usually into the flavour.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Might finally be time to level a crafter then

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I miss positionals

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I tried Dragoon during SB and I didn't like it but now that my boy Monk no longer has me awkwardly dancing behind dudes trying to keep on top of which positional everything is I might need to give it another shot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nah I loved the vibes with Monk. It was like "makes sense the fisticuffs class would be all about footwork and going in and out with all your moves" and like that's not really what it was it was more hitting the sides and behind but I felt it flowed well into the class's identity.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbf Estinien probably had about as much screentime in Sb as Lyse did in EW.

Though that's probably unrelated to why she doesn't have as much of a role as Estinien and G'raha (the other big expansion focus characters) which is that she and SB itself weren't as well received. Even though obviously the fans are wrong for their opinions because Stormblood was real good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

I mean Estinien and Graha were free to go. It'd be weird if like, Aymeric joined the scions. I guess you can argue Graha was a world leader but also the idea of the end of SHB was that the people of the first could finally rebuild the world and stuff, itd be weird for Graha to hang around as the man in charge with that theme. Lyse has bigger responsibilities than punching dragons with us. ig you could have raubahn be the ala mhigan leader but idk. i just dont think lyse really has much to offer, in general. shes fine but i dont think anythingd be improved by her hanging around in ShB/EW, especially given that you'd have to take away screentime from other scions or characters to give her some in this hypothetical world.

tbf Raubahn is kinda the Ala Mhigan leader.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Genuinely isn't Raubahn the leader of Ala Mhigo? I'm getting confused now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

man like almost all of these are about the ascians. shoutouts to the person who asked about the onions though.

The fans love those guys.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not every narrative foil can be Fordola. I think Ranj'jit works fine as a mirror to Thancred. Even if he is still kinda shallow.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Now, it must be said that the Stormblood raids will test every inch of your patience and temper with it's plot.

Please take back what you have said about my best friend Omega.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tbf Fordola doesn’t seem that grateful.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But more importantly she’s cool and a good character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It reminds me of another insane unironic take I saw on these very forums a couple years ago where a guy got yelled at for making his own curry at home instead of "going to a local business and making sure to ask the owner about his culture" which is the most patronizing and insane thing ever.

This can't be real

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I will simply never get a relic weapon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The 8 main raids are all pretty great. Definitely not content you want to skip

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, yeah, it's probably a bad choice of word. But I just don't like how much G'raha Tia is obsessed with the WoL. It creeps me out.

What's a better single word

Fan, perhaps

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Would rather kiss Urianger but I suppose he's going steady with Thancred.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alphinaud is my fav fan. The kid is alright.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raha is at times just another of the kids I babysit and at other times my good friend and only other adventurer in this party of nerds (still also a nerd though) and also Thancred. But alas he is at the very least probably less dateable than when he was covered in rocks and some people just can't get over that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

The Exarch was much hotter

Yeah.......

You're right

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Valentin posted:

idc about g'raha but the game is rather lacking in terms of both friendly rivals and good guys who despite being good just don't care for the wol, which are both fun dynamics, and imo that lack of friction makes how much everyone else likes you a little more cloying. almost every time someone dislikes the wol they're literally evil or misguided, let an otherwise upstanding character just find our whole deal loving annoying

That's why the coolest character in FFXIV is that one Ala Mhigan guy in Ul Dah who calls the WoL out for being a tool of the Syndicates.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Firebert posted:

The coolest character in Ffxiv is the guy who says ‘Ishgard remembers, WoL’ and then blows up a wall with a cannon

That dude too

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

:rip: Papalymo least he was able to return for a moment to explode Ilberd.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I do kinda feel the FFXIV devs keep their finger on the pulse of fan desires and it influences things even if it probably doesn't super transform the work. Probably a natural result of having an ongoiing game that you're making as fans are reacting to earlier parts. Like even looking back to Heavensward Alphinaud who feels at part a natural arc of what went down over in ARR patches but also a move to be like "Man people think arguably the primary supporting cast member in ARR is an annoying stooge. We really need to transform this character" and then people's reaction to that moves into "Man people loved the early party dynamic in Heavensward. Let's add Estinien to the Scions and have him and Alf be besties all the time."

Like if Lyse was more popular she probably would be more heavily featured but I don't think its as if that because people complained her she's instead just sticking around as the primary recurring Ala Mhigan character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway the response to fan thoughts that I don't appreciate is that in Endwalker MSQ characters were often remarking about the WoL shouldering too much of a burden and that its so sad and tragic which I think is in conversation to stuff i've seen from fans about how "Dang, when you really think about it WoL has really gone through it. They've lost so much :(" but mostly what I got out of it was thinking "Geez Alisaie, chill out. Its fine, stop worrying".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i dont think that was really about the fans or anything its mostly just because endwalker is the end of the story arc and they wanted to do you're not alone and stuff. so much of endwalker is about reflecting on the past that that kinda talk makes sense

and its something stuff like the dark knight quests already touched on. the warrior of light kinda being at their breaking point sometimes is one of the three bits of canon characterization they have

I guess this iis true but the other canon WoL characteristics such as "lovin their friends, lovin fighting (just like Zenos :twisted:) and lovin adventuring (the highest possible virtue)" are stuff I dig way more than that so maybe it just felt off.

But also,

this is sort of fan response it felt in conversation with to me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just mean it was a line of discussion about the protag I saw often after ShB so when it got some focus in EW it was unsurprising to me.

And I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if the writers intended to be pulling on those threads to draw out character for the WoL unrelated to wanting to focus on whatever ffxiv players were interested in but its just something I remember thinking about way back at EW's release.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Random question - If you could have a crossover between FFXIV and any other video game IP (like how we have with Yokai and Monster Hunter), which video game IP would you choose?

Monster Hunter again

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

KH collab would be cool but I sorta think it’s a bad fit for a raid series since it’s most iconic fights are all just guys. The big heartless bosses are probably the most suited for a raid but a darkside is way less cool than an org member.

Do want a keyblade glam though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Boat ansem def feels like the best final raid.

Armored Xemnas and Xehanort would probably be fine too though if you just scale them up. I might not have given it enough credit.

And final SB raid shows they can get pretty creative with making regular humans into raid bosses