Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You just gotta go experience it, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Professor Beetus posted:

Thanks for the replies. I will assume that I am going to Midgar to be Clouds best friend and if it's anything less I will be disappointed.

Closer than you think to the truth.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the garlean q-anon stuff makes sense as varis’ current form is sending messages that are picked up by the radio and only the people near the radios are both able to hear and remember because the radio protects them from tempering.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

All of y’all wanting to not get into a fist fight with out best friend. smdh. I’m just glad they finally gave me the big goku energy answer the last time right before the fight.

Also, Zenos has the echo. Even though it’s a stolen echo. He only dies if he wants to die. The bigger issue is recovering his body.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Astrochicken posted:

The queues are absurd. I don't poopsock anymore so babysitting a 3+ hour queue to play for an hour feels terrible. It's a real shame, the game is good but it's not worth this hassle.

If you’re just working via quests, they have it set up so you can log into a different world instead of your congested home server. You can’t interact with retainers and such, but you can absolutely progress via quests. Saves some of the queue pain.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It is completely stunning to me that the community is erupting over the state of the servers. If this were WoW - if there were 3+ hour queues where the client can't even keep itself open, there would be riots. FFXIV's story telling is so far ahead, but it's technical competence is so far behind.

It’s working great in Japan where all the developers live and play. That’s a huge part of the issue. Look at the RMT issue that used to plague the game. The RMT spam simply wasn’t a thing on the JP servers. Yoshi P. didn’t really understand how bad it was until he logged into a NA server and got a ton of RMT spam the moment zoned in.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Staggy posted:

My favourite line in the expansion comes in the cutscene after the final dungeon/before the final trial.

Zenos rocks up, takes one look at the Endsinger, and goes "But why does it still live? Surely it is no match for you."

That one line, to me, says more about that idiot's opinion of you than almost anything else in the entire game.

I agree with this take.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thundarr posted:

I took that line as partially sincere and partially an attempt at a friendly jab, showing that Zenos has actually exhibited a tiny little bit of growth. It was a really good line regardless.

I also see it as an indication to just how powerful Zenos is that he instantly recognizes what the Endsinger is. It makes me wonder if Garleans are particularly adept at seeing/manipulating dynamis as a result of their inability to manipulate aether.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Game crashed. 5000 person queue on relog. I'll play more tomorrow.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Barreft posted:

It's great that they still haven't been able to make you save a spot in game/queue if you crash

I'm not heartbroken. I've gotten to play a lot and I'm off until january 5th, so I can just log in tomorrow morning when there is no queue.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

New gear won’t change an old raid at all because everyone is still synced to the same ilevel.

You could prob minimax a bit for substats but ultimately that wouldn’t be much if a difference.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jinh posted:

For keeping the tank healthy, use adlo then recitation-excogitation before they pull a bunch of mobs. It's a giant crit heal as soon as they hit 50% health so it gives you a huge breather to do damage.

Sacred soil is straight up overpowered and can be up every single pull, it's a nice Regen and damage reduction.

You can also alternate Whispering Dawn and aetherpact every other pull, both of them apply regens to the tank that stack with sacred soil.

Between sacred soil, either of the other regens, and passive fairy healing, the tank's health will be dropping very slowly and you can just lustrate to keep them topped off while you spam Art Of War aoe damage

Also every tank has massive self heals and regens that they should be using as well. If you don’t notice that the mobs get a slow debuff every other big pull or so, kindly remind your tank that arm’s length is a tanking cooldown.

Trash pulls are the only place healers are needed at all in dungeons, and after level 85 that need drops quite a bit across the board. Each tank has enough sustain on their own that they can solo every dungeon boss.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think every tank can solo the boss of the 83 dungeon, even. Tanks were given a shitload of additional beefiness this expac.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Interject, I was glad to see an interrupt mechanic in a dungeon boss this time around. I have no idea what True Bravery does because I’ve never let the boss cast it

It's a damage buff on the boss that is basically unnoticeable because tanks have all that extra beef.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If anyone has ever been afraid of tanking, now is the time to start tanking. EW tanks are the tankiest tanks to ever tank.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nessus posted:

Post-game rewards question: Argos seems to haul rear end across Mor Dhona. Is he bugged or something? Did they increase flight speed in the old world ARR zones?

Flight in ARR zones is at max mount speed. Its similar in SB areas. In ShB and EW zones, though, terrestrial mounts stay at 1 star vs 2 star and flight is at the base speed instead of the fast speed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think this is true

Go fly in any ARR zone and then go fly in any EW zone. You have deliberately faster mount speed in the former.

Similarly you can get two star terrestrial movement by purchasing maps in ARR-SB zones but not in ShB and EW. You can view your land mount speed under travel-mount speed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hazardousmouse posted:

holy poo poo are you loving with me? 50,000 bicolor gems for each of those voucher vendor items?

Yup. 500 vouchers at 100 stones a pop. I’ve got 9 on the mb now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sunday Morning posted:

90 trial Zenos' line when he showed up at the end dispelled any annoyances that he was still around. "Is this your prey? Why does it still live?" is possibly one of my favorite lines in the whole game. I just started cracking up.

I like that he’s able to instantly recognize what the Endsinger represents. Like despair is getting you down, homie?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I still hold that if you didn't get the smirking response you answered incorrectly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why are we still taking "they did it for grapes" at face value when the literal story itself makes fun of Elidibus for believing such an obviously tongue in cheek answer.

He is an Actual Factual Child idolizing Azem too much to take it for the evasion that it is and Emet all but says as much!

Well, I mean, he is literally a child.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My guess is Themis is Elidibus.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Meiteron posted:

(More Pandaemonium speculation, includes EW stuff) I had an intial theory right when they plopped Lahabrea's face right on the reveal of the new raid that this dude isn't dead because how to kill an Ascian is very well established and his "death" didn't qualify. It is explicitly a two-step process you need to trap an Ascian soul in a prison so it can't escape to the rift, then hit it with a very strong blast of aether to dissipate the soul. Nabriales needed white auracite and Moenbryda's aether to die. Igeyorhm needed white auracite and a dragon's eye. Emet-selch needed white auracite and all the Light-aspected aether we had picked up in the first. Fandaniel breaks the pattern a bit but sticking himself into Zodiark may very well qualify for Step 1 and Zodiark blowing up is probably Step 2. Plus, the dude wanted to die and might have simply not tried to save himself like another Ascian would.

Lahabrea gets absorbed by Ascalon at the end of Heavensward and that's it. We even have a roughly equivalent comparison to what happened to Lahabrea with Elidibus, who gets absorbed by the entire Crystal Tower - G'Raha even makes the point that the tower is effectively a giant white auracite - and EW's story shows this didn't kill Elidibus. He was still there and doesn't really "die" until he used up the rest of his own aether getting us to Elpis.

It has to be one massive Chekhov's Gun that the process is so well explained, Lahabrea didn't qualify for the whole process, and yet we don't hear anything from him.

Ascian souls are still just aether. Nothing shields them from getting absorbed by a dragon's eye and then consumed. In his case, his aether was exhausted creating Shinryu and destroyed by Estinian post-menagerie.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I decided to look up our chain wielding pal, and his namesake is Erichthonius of Athens - a legendary king and son of Athena

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lord_Magmar posted:

I would be incredibly happy to never see Labyrinth of the Ancients ever again, personally speaking.

Someone isn't a fan of the Bone Zone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Venuz Patrol posted:

puppet bunker and tower at paradigm's reach are both pretty good, but the copied factory is insanely boring. every boss has 30% too much health and not nearly enough attack patterns to justify it

The real issue is people don't know to push buttons. I see so many reapers that don't keep their debuff up all of the time. I mentioned to a pubbie in a dungeon that it's a dps boost for him to keep it up all the time. They deliberately did not use it again the rest of the run.

A lot of people don't have a clue how to actually maximize their personal dps.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you’re struggling with mechanics, try turning on legacy controls. It makes movement so much easier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Copperbell is only bad if you don't realize that a good chunk of the mobs tether and can be ignored.

Also the slime boss of copperbell has more life than Nael in T9 and is just shy of the Avatar in T8. It was the highest HP boss in 2.0.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kongming posted:

People used to run CM and Prae for tomestones shortly after 2.0 released because with cutscene skipping you could clear Prae in like 10 minutes and get 100 uncapped tomes a run, which was more than Wanderer's Palace and Amdapor Keep gave. I remember the strat for Livia involving loading all four mortars and shooting her with all four at roughly the same time. Did that make the fight any faster? Hell if I know.

My group quickly switched to speedrunning Wanderer's when we wanted tomes once we had some better gear.

The reason you loaded all four and shot at once was it triggered all the adds at once and made them easier to manage. Now that everyone is i130 (which is 40 ilevel higher than the absolute max when 2.0 came out) even healers can grab and handle adds so the coordination is unnecessary.

You gotta hit her 8 times. Doesn’t matter how.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cheetah7071 posted:

I took a peak at what the balance is saying for optimizing high-end reaper play and wow it looks awful lol

I think I'll stick to raiding on drg

I think people are probably overthinking it. I do amazing dps on reaper by just pressing the buttons that light up in the best order.

Hit your positionals, keep death debuff up, and use abilities when off cooldown. Nothing terribly complicated.

Don’t worry about what 1%ers are thinking. Every job can beat all of the content. If the DPS check in savage is ridiculously tight, you might not want a PLD, but I’m sure a good PLD can balance their tiny bit less dps than dark knight with utility.

Don’t be scared because theory crafters have decided something might be difficult.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've been using the MB as storage for gemstone vouchers. I had 22 up at 200k per. They sold yesterday morning. This morning, they were down to 125k. I bought back my 22 and netted 1.4m in profit. :lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thundarr posted:

I'll eventually muster up the will to do the ~200 more FATEs needed to get rank 3 in every EW zone, but I can't for the life of me understand how anybody can bear to keep farming them after that. Or why the devs keep going so hard on coming up with ways to encourage people to mindlessly farm FATEs rather than just make more interesting content.

I'm still stuck in 2.0 mode and level a lot of my classes via fates. Outside of roulettes, the experience for effort is the largest of anywhere else. Get into a party and just bounce around. You can go from 80-90 in a couple of days just rolling into level appropriate fates with groups. I'm almost always capped with gemstones as a result, and I'm glad I finally have valuable sinks for my time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fates in EW zones are 300-600k depending on level and experience bonuses. You can get 30-40k in experience just from mob kills when you're in a party on anything besides boss fates.

Fates are also a great way to learn the best and most efficient aoe and practice single target DPS on boss fates.

Plus you get a FUCKTON of gil either in the form of bicolor vouchers when you've hit rank 3 in all zones or hides that are available at all the in zone vendors.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The marketboard is a pure free market with basically no transaction fees. Undercutting is a natural result of the process of the free hand guiding price toward equilibrium.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Endorph posted:

lool ill level i am not clicking a video of a hardcore savage raider who has played since arr swearing about 10 second changes to buff windows

Big same. Just play the game. If you don't like something, sure, go off. But I do not and cannot ever care what some random person cares about cooldown changes and I'm the one weirdo that pines for HW dragoon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

hey! She also complains that dying fucks up your rotation.

There's a neat trick to avoid this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RME posted:

Turning your tank stance off after a wipe is actually the hardest mechanic in the game

that's not even necessary so long as you remember shirk exists.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

for fellow reapers not so good at making sure the debuff is always up, here's a handy macro:

code:
/micon "Shadow of Death"
/ac "Shadow of Death" <t>
/wait 25
/e <se.1> press the butan
You can do this for aoe, as well. This works well for me and I don't mind the half second loss from using a combat macro. It's worth it for universal uptime and I don't have to use any third party tool to do the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cheetah7071 posted:

I think the half-second lost, and then more gcds lost because you're pressing it every 25 seconds instead of every 30, is a moderately big deal and you should probably just look at the debuffs, same as you would have for dots

I don't push it every time it beeps. When it beeps I look up and judge where I'm at and when I need to press it.

I was still top dps in the group using this and had 100% uptime on the fight, so I'm pretty happy with it and sticking with it. If I end up in a static and it matters, I'll set up an ACT timer for it. As it is, I like this.