Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

escape mechanism posted:

I can see that about Il Mheg, but Mor Dhona is such a nightmare of bad crystal textures and confusing navigation it's hard to see it in Lakeland

Lakeland is what Mor Dhona probably would have looked like before it became a crystal hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Honestly lets talk about the real much-needed change in the game

Too many scions have white hair. Please diversify yoship.

This actually got asked in a Q&A from the Chinese FanFest fairly recently:

quote:

Q: Why do the scions have so many white/grey haired members?

A: Difficult question. You are right, there are many characters with those features and we do have it in mind all the time. In the original version, we already had Thancred and Yshtola, we hadn't planned on adding Urianger to the Scions at first, but it just turned out that way. Estinien was originally designed to be part of the DRG job quests, we hadn't imagined him to play such a huge role during the HW story and in 6.0 he became part of the scions.... A lot of coincidences. Sometimes we discuss if we should give some chars a make over, but the impressions are too strong at this point and we decided to keep it like this. I personally am not a fan of pure colours, like green for example and that's why new characters tend to be a bit simple in this regard. We will try to balance it a little better from now on.

Basically, it's an accident that as they cycled characters in and out of the Scions they got rid of the characters with other hair colours and brought in characters with white hair.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I should probably finish levelling my crafters at some point. I got all of them to 40, apart from my BSM & GSM that I got to 80 before focusing on the rest.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The start of Eureka was so miserable for me trying to get the hang of it solo that it stopped me from trying any further and then hearing that the second zone is even worse before it gets good means that I probably never will.
It's been a few years since I touched it, but it started out with you needed to get a drop of a crystal or two to unlock the whole element swapping mechanic, right? Right at the start it took so long to kill one mob right outside the starting town that I was on the verge of death and needed to stop to regen health, which then meant I lost the chain bonus so I got less XP. Also the drop rate for the crystals you needed to unlock the elemental wheel was so loving low when solo that I swear I must have killed like ten mobs before the first crystal dropped.

Just said gently caress it and never went back.

I get that it's intended to be group content, but they letting you do it solo and seemingly making it so punishing just felt awful.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh right. I forgot we were getting the Halloween event in January. lol

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I never got out of zone 2 in Zadnor. I popped in there after EW launched to try to level RPR a little and it was loving impossible to do anything. I swear in like the 30 minutes I was there only one FATE spawned in the zones I had access to.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dunno why they hang around here, considering we're worse than 4chan and all.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Onean posted:

Just a heads up for anyone else that missed it in the latest announcement about the Live Letter: There won't be any live translation this time. It'll all be in Japanese, except the slides that will have both Japanese and English.

The last time I watched one that was Japanese only I kept an eye on the Nova Crystallis Twitter account since it seemed they did a decent job with their own semi-live translations. Is there anything else I should check out?

The FFXIV subreddit discord has a channel devoted to live translation for these things, it's usually pretty good. It's locked down so it's just the translators posting without any bullshit.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Shame that the codex only gets unlocked with 6.1's MSQ. That would be neat to have at all levels.

The "Calling Cards" are, as far as I understand, like the profile banners or whatever you can make in Call of Duty and the like. A customisable banner that people see in the killcam when you kill them.
Don't know where people would see it in this game though. Maybe when inspecting you?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Glam Dresser possibly getting expanded to 800 slots in 6.2. Getting 5 additional plates in 6.1

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kind of want the Late Allagan armour and I'm not interested in PVP, so I'll probably do some grinding for that.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Based on a PC Gamer article I saw this morning, it sounds like lots of Steam players are having issues related to the change, even on Windows.

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding, I think Steam players can't use thirdparty launchers anymore?
Hopefully the devs of those launchers can find a workaround.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The only time I've ever had trouble on controller is when a boss is too big, something about targeting gets funky. Ozma is a boss I always have trouble targeting for some reason, just pressing A normally selects something else.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They've actually started doing gear that doesn't even display tails. I noticed that any of the Aphorism Tomestone gear that has a cape doesn't display tails.
Actually had to glam into something else because I found it too weird.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ok, wasn't expecting the rewards for MSQDR to go up after the re-work.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Onean posted:

Job changes are available. Edit: Forgot the link.

Blood Weapon: Now grants 5 stacks of the Blood Weapon effect.
Effect duration has been increased from 10 to 15 seconds.

Living Dead: The additional effect "Restores HP with each weaponskill successfully delivered or spell cast" has been added with a cure potency of 1,500.
If an amount of HP totaling your maximum HP is restored before the Walking Dead timer runs out, the effect will now change to Undead Rebirth, with a duration carried over from the time remaining for Walking Dead.
While under the effect of Undead Rebirth, most attacks will not lower your HP below 1.

1,500 sounds pretty big. Have they finally fixed Living Dead? I'm honestly afraid to touch that button on the rare occasions I tank. Only times I've ever used it I ended up dying anyway

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Every time they announce this event is coming back I hope it's actually the other FFXI event that had a Shantotto FATE boss.

Yeah, same. It's a shame it's just the same event that been run three times now (or more? it's the third time I've seen it at least)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I do think Nu-Totorak is kind of souless, but then the original was poo poo on many levels.

It is weird they overhauled the progression of the dungeon, but didn't really touch the bosses. Nu-Copperbell's bosses are fantastic and I know the bosses were Copperbell's main problem while Totorak had other issues, but it's weird that they barely did anything to them.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

i thought the goggles scene was only for legacy characters? i don't remember getting it

Nope, it's for everyone. It's really weird and I thought they would have explained it by now, I wonder if they've forgotten about it or is hoping everyone else will.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

HackensackBackpack posted:

So, what I understand is Estinien's English VA Robert Vernon did a Subway ad in Britain and then I guess he did it as Estinien later as a joke.

British actors just do everything, pretty much. Theatre, TV, adverts, VO, movies if they're lucky. Anything that pays, really.

So a bunch of actors who have done voices for this game have probably done an ad at some point using a voice similar to one they use for XIV.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 1, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

If you tell me there is player housing with decorating I will likely explode.

There is! There are limited housing slots per-server and they're hard to get, but you can probably get an apartment pretty easy!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

God yes. It's doubling in size right? I'm stoked, been having to remove things lately to add more.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yo, I like this.

It's an alternate page in the Actions menu that lays out combos, think this'll be great for setting up hotbars if it's done right.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think we might have been told 6.25 at some point, but the site has only been saying 6.2 sine it went up.

Since they're hyping it up on Twitter I'm guessing it's changed or we were told the wrong thing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think the tower is the same, but they added an extra route that has no platforming.

The alternate route has the bombs from some of the Gold Saucer GATES that blow you off the course

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Some of the graphics updates are coming before 7.0
We're getting dynamic resolution support with this update.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The main reason why raid and side stuff isn't usually super important to the MSQ is because they don't want to force people to do them, they're supposed to be optional.

Crystal Tower used to be optional, but they decided to rip the band-aid off and make it required so they can do stuff with it in the MSQ. There have been cases where some side stuff has been required for other side stuff, however.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The first of this year's short stories is up: Tales from the Dawn.
Don't read if you haven't beaten Endwalker yet, massive spoilers from the start

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I dunno. I think "another island" is real premature considering how many QOL improvements they could make to this one first. Spend some time letting the new feature mature a bit before adding a second identical mechanic.

I mean, if there's another island coming it's slated for 6.4 or 6.5, that's two to three patches away. That's plenty of time to make improvements to the current system, unless they wait until the patches for the next expansion.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Do we actually definitely know the water otter fountain materials are for an Island Sanctuary landmark or is that speculation? Nobody ever cites their source when they say it, just a chain of "some guy said".

They are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec6M3nV7Erc

Veotax
May 16, 2006

What happens if your pasture is full and you try to capture something? Does it just not let you or does it ask you to release something after capturing?

I've been leaving a slot open just in case I see something I want to grab while out gathering.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Zomborgon posted:

They really should change that text

Maybe "Mustadio reveals all of your weaknesses!"
Something to connect the idea of "lots of things that are now displayed" to "bad"

Having played too much Star Trek Online, the visuals feel backwards to what I was used to. The segments are basically identical to STO's shields, with one depleted making it look like that's the part you're supposed to point away from the boss.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Actually how far can you take the base classes in the MSQ before it becomes absolutely unfeasible?

Classes stop getting new abilities at 50, everything after that is job exclusive so you're massively hampered from then on.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm giving nu Summoner a try and does the Carbuncle not auto attack anymore after 6.0?
I didn't really play SMN before the rework, just Arcanist to unlock Scholar, but I remember it attacking once I did (and pulling additional mobs in the overworld sine it did AOE attacks), now it just seems to wonder around the battlefield waiting for me to summon the Egis.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I wonder if G'raha's actor getting a steady stream of high profile work means we'll eventually see less of him. I have no clue realistically how long the recording sessions take of course, just a stray thought the talk of cat people brought up

If it was the Japanese actor then I wouldn't be surprised if they retired the character or something, but I doubt they care much about the non-Japanese actors to influence the direction of the game. They already recast everyone once in HW, after all.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Didn't they actually talk about a CT rework, but that it'd be at least starting on 7.0 and would take them much longer?

I don't remember them talking about a CT rework, but I believe they said they wouldn't be making 8-man Trials Duty Support compatible until 7.0 or later, if they do it at all.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Announcement about unauthorised account access and resetting passwords

Interestingly, it doesn't seem like it was Square that was hacked or anything, they've just noticed people trying to log into accounts using details stolen from other websites and basically saying "use a different password here from everywhere else, idiots! Also, turn on 2FA"

Veotax
May 16, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

what does it have to do with GPU? Can I not do these with PS5 screenshots?

I imagine they mean installing the AI stuff on your own PC to do this offline. You can do it with any image, but I guess you need an NVidia card to do it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

Wait wait, normal Thornmarch doesn’t have adds anymore? The whole song is about them!

I believe you fight all the Mogg Guard one or two at a time, but once the Good King comes out, you're just fighting him.
The others will pop up to do attacks, but aren't targetable, AFAIK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Honestly, the best of both worlds would be to leave housing as is and find some way to give everyone an apartment, or make them unlimited. There's no need for apartments to be attached to housing districts, just put them in the main city or something.
But improve apartments so there is like a balcony or something for some small outside space.

Of course, that doesn't account for whatever server stuff you would need to deal with essentially giving an apartment to every player (that's not on the free trial)