Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Fun times as always, thank you to the hosts and participants.

I can’t help but feel like I let down Griftlands. Maybe we all let down Griftlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

exquisite tea posted:

Great job Rarity and VG hosting a GOTY thread in a year that didn't even have any video games. I don't know how you managed to pull it off, but you succeeded. Already looking forward to 2022 where I believe experts have predicted there will be some games.

Apparently there will be exactly one (1) game and its name is Elden Ring

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Bayonetta 3 is hopefully coming in 2022 and I might have to buy a Nintendo console for it.
Horrible I know.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rarity posted:

Apparently there will be exactly one (1) game and its name is Elden Ring

Never heard of it but I know GRRM is involved. Sounds like some generic grimdark fantasy thing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Games I'm expecting to be on my list for 2022:

Elden Ring
Horizon Forbidden West
Final Fantasy 14 Endwalker
Gran Turismo 7
Uhhh.... Returnal and Demon's Souls?????

Final Fantasy 16.... :getin:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Horizon is definitely Up There on my anticipated 2022 list

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Axel Serenity posted:

Horizon is definitely Up There on my anticipated 2022 list

Hopefully there's a little less grinding for crafting materials in the sequel.

Nothing makes a rush from a big kill go down, than having to collect and craft all the consumables back up for the next big fight.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I don't even have the brain space for new games. My 2022 list is probably going to be FF7R (I'm most of the way through and loving it), Yakuza 0 if I ever actually finish it and a ton of Switch games if I make good on that purchase. Plus Disco Elysium again :unsmigghh:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I am handing out Endwalker probes for those who want them. :)

Eyy I'm Endwalkin' here.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

My personal anticipated GOTY 2022 top three is: AI The Nirvana Institute, Final Fantasy Stranger of Paradise, and Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak. We'll see how those three end up doing in the end...

Jay Rust posted:

If anyone wants to take the time to repost their 2020 list and talk about whether they’d change any of it, a year later, I would eagerly read your thoughts

Here is 2020

HM: Miles Morales
10. Lonely Mountains Downhill
9. Animal Crossing
8. Personal 5 Royal
7. Tony Hawk 1+2
6. Yakuza Kiwami 2
5. Dark Souls
4. Paper Mario Origami King
3. 13 Sentinels
2. Yakuza LAD
1. Hades

10 through 4 are fine I think (maybe Animal Crossing and Kiwami 2 go up--I'm judging Royal based on what I had played by that point, not the third semester content), but I don't think I got the top 3 right. I recognized the Hades was the technically superior game of the three, but in the time since I've started identifying "game of the year" with "most personally significant game to me." In that case, what have I continued thinking and talking about this year? 13 Sentinels, baby. So 13 Sentinels would be my #1. Not sure if I'd put Hades at 2 or 3.

I am proud to name 13 Sentinels as my 2021 2020 Game of the Year.

wuggles fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 9, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My Top 6 in 2020 were:

quote:

6. Vigil: The Longest Night
5. Cyberpunk 2077
4. The Pathless
3. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
2. Eliza
1. Streets of Rage 4

In revision, I would have taken CP2077 off the list and left everything else the same. SOR4 is such a banger and it's only grown on me since.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

VideoGames posted:

I am handing out Endwalker probes for those who want them. :)

Remember, remember that I was once probe’d.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im glad blue reflection 2 got so high. i am mad i couldnt get miku onto the list.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Endorph posted:

im glad blue reflection 2 got so high. i am mad i couldnt get miku onto the list.

I really wanted to extend the countdown to fit it in but it got too messy below 75 :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i told elephant parade to post just to list it so it could get on the list and he didnt even make it number one so i choose to blame him.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Please slow down on the posting I just woke up and I want to do some statistics on the dsts and I don't want to have to not post them because the thread is goldmined because it hit page 69!!!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

punk rebel ecks posted:

Final Fantasy VII being "insanely overrated" perplexes me.

It wasn't even my first Final Fantasy but I've found it to be the most enjoyable and engaging title, and (surprisingly) replayable. It has a phenomenal cast, story, and pacing. Since my deep dive in the series I've found the supposed "superior games" people give examples of are the real over-rated ones. IX is fun but has poor pacing. VI is plagued by having a large ensemble where hardly any characters leave a mark (outside of arguably the best villain in the series). VIII is so boring I dropped it. V has an amazing battle system that is still superior to most RPGs today, but its story is paper thin.

VII is superior to the above title in literally every aspect besides graphics and, in V's case, battle system. I'm not the least bit surprised that it took off an entire genre and arguably bought heavily Japanese styled games to the forefront in Western gaming. Yes Sony's $100 million marketing budget helped, but as it has been shown countless times, money alone doesn't guarantee an industry shattering success.

I'm the opposite. I couldn't muster the poo poo to give about anyone in VII but I adored VIII. The chibi characters always irked me for some reason too, but less so in IX :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thread should be closed on the last post of page 68

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Endwalker might have a longer runtime than the rest of the top 20 combined, unless someone spends 300 hours on monster hunter rise

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah treadmills often waste your time

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Not nice.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Some people were posting that they had completed endwalker a few days after release and idk how because it took me like 3 weeks

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

nachos posted:

Endwalker might have a longer runtime than the rest of the top 20 combined, unless someone spends 300 hours on monster hunter rise

:yeah:

In FFXIV you get a sprout symbol to signify you're a newbie or a 'sprout'.
You lose it when you have finished the 3rd expansion Shadowbringers and all its patches and have played at least 300 hours.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only reason I didn't finish it first weekend because it took me two hours to log on every time

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Jay Rust posted:

If anyone wants to take the time to repost their 2020 list and talk about whether they’d change any of it, a year later, I would eagerly read your thoughts

My old list was

10. What Remains of Edith Finch
9. Frog Detective 1+2
8. The Last of Us
7. SYNTHETIK
6. Paper Mario: The Origami King
5. Grim Dawn
4. Outer Wilds
3. Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne
2. Anodyne 2: Return to Dust
1. Control

In hindsight I placed Control and Paper Mario too high. I found the RPG system and battles in Paper Mario extremely boring so I never finished it. Control starts out super creepy and mysterious but quickly turns from David Lynch to Christopher Nolan. Still really good, but I was hoping it was going to be a little more scary instead of just strange.

Monster Hunter's gameplay stood the test of time and Anodyne 2 is super good in its own right so either of them should have been GOTY. Synthetik is tight and should have swapped places with Paper Mario at least.

If anything this massive BLUNDER has taught me to never again rank a #1 game that I haven't finished.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Some people were posting that they had completed endwalker a few days after release and idk how because it took me like 3 weeks

Technical term for these people is 'Poopsockers'.

I mean there wasn't even any good endgame waiting for them. That came after couple of weeks with first tier of raids.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Entenzahn posted:

My old list was

10. What Remains of Edith Finch
9. Frog Detective 1+2
8. The Last of Us
7. SYNTHETIK
6. Paper Mario: The Origami King
5. Grim Dawn
4. Outer Wilds
3. Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne
2. Anodyne 2: Return to Dust
1. Control

In hindsight I placed Control and Paper Mario too high. I found the RPG system and battles in Paper Mario extremely boring so I never finished it. Control starts out super creepy and mysterious but quickly turns from David Lynch to Christopher Nolan. Still really good, but I was hoping it was going to be a little more scary instead of just strange.

Monster Hunter's gameplay stood the test of time and Anodyne 2 is super good in its own right so either of them should have been GOTY. Synthetik is tight and should have swapped places with Paper Mario at least.

If anything this massive BLUNDER has taught me to never again rank a #1 game that I haven't finished.

You probably already know but Remedy's next game (Alan Wake 2) is full on survival horror, so more creepiness to come. Also I see your a fellow Edith Finch fan, hi!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I binged it because it was a fun game I enjoyed

I did the same thing with multiple other games on my list

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

TheWorldsaStage posted:

You probably already know but Remedy's next game (Alan Wake 2) is full on survival horror, so more creepiness to come. Also I see your a fellow Edith Finch fan, hi!

Hi! I had no idea they were making one but I also didn't know Psychonauts 2 existed until a couple weeks ago so, lol. Excited to hear it

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

nachos posted:

I'm 180 away and both the PC version and the expansion have yet to release.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
If Triangle Strategy doesn't make my 2022 top three it means something went horribly wrong

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Kull the Conqueror posted:

If Triangle Strategy doesn't make my 2022 top three it means something went horribly wrong

I was real psyched for and then real disappointed by Octopath Traveler so I'm cautiously optimistic for Triangle Strategy

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

adhuin posted:

Technical term for these people is 'Poopsockers'.

I mean there wasn't even any good endgame waiting for them. That came after couple of weeks with first tier of raids.

Dunno bout you but I binged it because I liked the story.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

wuggles posted:

I was real psyched for and then real disappointed by Octopath Traveler so I'm cautiously optimistic for Triangle Strategy

The demo was pretty much improved Final Fantasy Tactics which is all I’ve ever wanted from the industry

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 9, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rarity posted:

1 point

The Caligula Effect 2 (Aquria)

hey i got on the "nobody's blues but my own" list

i love this game, and it has legitimately my favorite cast of characters in any 2021 game. the combat is a bit wonky, the sidequests are really undercooked and there's some jank, but the music and presentation is top-notch and i actually did get into the combat after some practice.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

This probably doesn't bother most people but this "rush to finish" that I noticed took some of the fun out of playing the MSQ for me. That and the 2 hour long queues. After awhile I had to mute Shout, FC and my hunt linkshells chats because they kept spoiling zones and dungeons.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The demo was pretty much improved Final Fantasy Tactics which is all I’ve ever walked from the industry

Not without a job system it aint

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sakurazuka posted:

goty edging

:negative:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
My 2020 list was
10-Hollow Knight
9-Frog Fractions 3
8-Carrion
7-Timespinner
6-Spelunky 2
5-Horizon's Gate
4-Control
3-Disco Elysium
2-Animal Crossing: New Horizons
1-Hades

If I were to order these 10 games now, I think I would move up Hollow knight, and move down Carrion and Time Spinner. All three are metroidvanias, but Carrion and Time Spinner are the shorter, punchier experiences. Hollow Knight is a bit more sprawling than it really needs to be in my opinion, but it does linger better in my mind and so probably deserves the higher spot.

I would also probably switch Disco Elysium and Animal Crossing. It's been a year since I visited my island and I've basically never thought about it if someone else didn't bring it up. Didn't even seriously consider revisiting after the big content patch. Meanwhile, it's been more than a year since I've visited Revachol and I think about it at least once a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've done a bit of data exploration! First, I really liked the ordinations someone did last year--a kind of graph that shows how closely aligned different variables (in this case, votes) are with each other. There's a bit of a snag though--the way the math works, an ordination only really works if the data is kind of predictable. In this case, that would mean something like, if you know how someone cast three of their votes, you have a decent-ish guess as to how they cast the rest. But you goons are just too dang unpredictable for that to be true. In order to have a reasonable chance of guessing how you ranked Metroid Dread, I'd need to know how you ranked all nine of the other top ten games. Still, graphs are fun, so here's an ordination, with that big grain of salt. The way you read this is that arrows pointing in the same direction are correlated--if someone ranked one highly, they were more likely to rank the other one highly (but not by very much, because of the aforementioned unpredictability). The dots represent where all the goon votes fell in this view of the data.

Second, I thought I'd test Stux's hypothesis:

Stux posted:

do a tally of how many ffxiv posts were less than 10 games vs how many non-ffxiv posts included multiple over the 10 bcos it was hard to choose. the results will be [dr evil finger] Interesitng

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Checking which lists had over 10 was a pain in the rear end cause the dataset I had didn't record those, so I just checked people with the full 10 votes vs having less than 10. And the results are...

No statistically significant difference between the percentage of XIV voters who cast the full 10 votes compared to the percentages of non-XIV voters who cast the full 10 votes. The fisher test returned p=0.29, well outside the bounds of rejecting the null hypothesis.

It seems Stux is the one who needs to read another book...a statistics book.

The actual exciting part of the data exploration coming in a minute, it'll format better as two posts