Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I literally have a BA in Women, Sexuality, and Gender studies and the GOVERNMENT PAID FOR IT (GI Bill) but have 60k in debt from my graduate degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.

What I learned in that Gender Studies degree was extremely helpful in graduate school for counseling and is extremely helpful as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in supporting people in our capitalist hellscape.

It is me. The Gender Studies degree haver and I will be forgiven 10k in loans for my graduate degree.

Eat poo poo plebs. I am the Elite. Only come talk to me if you are having significant mental health issues that impair your global functioning and cause problems in your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

OMFG FURRY posted:

id like to know how many people who are upset about poor/middle class kids getting their debt forgiven were in frats/sororities

I think the one almost reasonable complaint about student debt forgiveness is basically anyone who went to college saw what other people did with their loans. There was the type of the student that took the bare minimum and got a part time job around campus to help with their day to day expenses, and then there were those that maxed them out annually to just roll over all the funds into their entertainment budget. You joke about frats being upset the poor kids are getting a break but honestly I'd be a lot of high totals of student debt lies with greek students, a lot of them literally funded those start of the year parties with student loans. The latter debt deserves about as much forgiveness as generic CC debt, but tbh I'd be fine if Biden blanket forgave a bunch of CC debt too cause both exist largely due to predatory lending and really our whole credit system probably needs re-evaluating.

buglord posted:

FAFSA’s site is still down so who knows if I’m on the hook for the 4.5k. Also my credit history is going to take a hit because my loans were my first forms of credit and that’ll make my average account age get way younger. And also I guess I’m penalized for not having enough open credit accounts open (currently have 8, 6 of which are the fed loans). America really wants us playing with credit huh

Ironically I kept my incredibly modest student loans because my mom advised me they'd help my credit. I left them on autopay from my checking account that I still use to this day, not a card but specifically the account itself so the number has never changed. However they sold the loan in circles in a short segment of my life where I was changing addresses repeatedly, moving after a breakup and then moving again for a new job, and only notified me of the account changing hands via physical mail, despite having both an email and phone set up with the lenders (both of which I still use today). The end result of this was despite being on autopay with an account that was always active and had funds, I defaulted and took a huge loving hit to my credit. When I saw what happened I just said gently caress it and paid them off immediately because it also added a few hundos in various fees and I didn't want to deal with it anymore. Was like a 200 point swing over 60 bucks a month, I'm back to pretty good credit now a couple years later but it still makes me mad cause I had near perfect credit before this and it felt very intentional on their part.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Basically every right-wing argument is based on the tummyfeels they think all triggered libs base their opinions on

ALL I KNOW IS IT JUST AIN'T RIGHT

Yeah, I know, chuds gonna chud.

One thing I'm having problems wrapping my head around is how even non-chud sources are claiming that loan forgiveness will increase inflation. Like, I'm pretty savvy about economics and finance, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the throughline from loan forgiveness to inflation. It sounds like underpants gnomes logic to me.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

forgive my stud load

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

EmbryoSteve posted:

I literally have a BA in Women, Sexuality, and Gender studies and the GOVERNMENT PAID FOR IT (GI Bill) but have 60k in debt from my graduate degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.

What I learned in that Gender Studies degree was extremely helpful in graduate school for counseling and is extremely helpful as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in supporting people in our capitalist hellscape.

It is me. The Gender Studies degree haver and I will be forgiven 10k in loans for my graduate degree.

Eat poo poo plebs. I am the Elite. Only come talk to me if you are having significant mental health issues that impair your global functioning and cause problems in your life.

You missed the part where, because you have an advanced degree, you're automatically on par with lawyers and doctors and MBAs and other people who are filthy rich. I bet you spend every night rolling around in a bed of money every night, you bourgeoisie loan-receiver with an education in gender studies!!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, I've been gaming my credit hard for the last couple years, and having so much student debt has the stupid silver lining of buying me at least a couple more years of having older accounts on my history. I've opened a couple secured credit cards and got an unsecured credit card and I pretty much just use them to set up autopays or otherwise have a buffer between online payments and my main accounts. Since late 2020 I've managed to increase my credit score over 100 points mostly just moving my own money around.

Well geeze should I just get a third credit card then to increase credit score (or offset the drop from closing all these student loans)? The only reason I have more than 1 credit card was because the other one gives me Amazon points which I do use fairly often. I don’t need an auto loan because my 2002 Corolla runs fine and I will never afford to buy a house in this city so scratch the idea of a mortgage.

Or should I just ignore gaming the system all together and just keep trucking on?

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

beep by grandpa posted:

tax spending on tax breaks for the mega wealthy, good
tax spending on forever foreign wars, good
tax spending on predatory loans targeted at 16 year olds that can't be expunged thru bankruptcy, only their own death or decades-long indentured servitude in a country where you're not legally trusted to buy alcohol until you're 21, bad
Sour grapes.

https://twitter.com/RepJimBanks/status/1562820837140742144

https://twitter.com/LolOverruled/status/1562646950456881156

https://twitter.com/Meek_Fill/status/1562503716220981248

https://twitter.com/supermathskid/status/1562555240767188992

https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1562798868483362816

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

buglord posted:

Well geeze should I just get a third credit card then to increase credit score (or offset the drop from closing all these student loans)? The only reason I have more than 1 credit card was because the other one gives me Amazon points which I do use fairly often. I don’t need an auto loan because my 2002 Corolla runs fine and I will never afford to buy a house in this city so scratch the idea of a mortgage.

Or should I just ignore gaming the system all together and just keep trucking on?

It's a fairly easy and low-cost way to improve your credit. A secured card means you put a deposit down and that becomes your credit line, so it does kind of assume you can afford to silo a few hundred dollars and pay a low annual fee. I have an OpenSky account which is very much like this. If you pay it off every month then you never pay interest, and it reports to all 3 credit bureaus. I was also able to artificially raise my credit score by depositing more money to raise my credit limit on the card, which is absurd since it was all my money to begin with.

A free Experian account is surprisingly useful, as they have a tool called Boost which will connect to your bank account or credit card (as long as they are in the program) and boost your Experian score. Mine jumped 12 points after adding the bank account that I pay rent out of.

Credit scores are a dumb game, but if you take advantage of the game part you can improve your scores.

Edit: One other thing that is helpful is to see what info they have and correct it if needed. The credit bureaus weren't showing the credit line increases on my unsecured card, and I had to hassle them to get it reflected properly ($1200 vs. $3050), which also improved my scores.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 26, 2022

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

ArbitraryC posted:

I think the one almost reasonable complaint about student debt forgiveness is basically anyone who went to college saw what other people did with their loans. There was the type of the student that took the bare minimum and got a part time job around campus to help with their day to day expenses, and then there were those that maxed them out annually to just roll over all the funds into their entertainment budget.
My first term at community college when I stood in line (for the first time ever) to buy books from the bookstore, I was puzzled why the school's bookstore sold X-Boxes, Vaio's, and had what looked like a misplaced aisle from Fry's Electronics and Hot Topic. I soon learned that people did their Christmas shopping there using the school debit cards, which is where the leftover loan and grant money ended up. I remember thinking "wait, you can do that with that money? I thought it was only for stuff like rent, food, books, transportation, etc." I was so naive. However, it's not my problem. These companies shouldn't be giving out buckets of "free" money to young adults if they're going to be shocked if they use it for stuff like they like.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

PITY BONER posted:

My first term at community college when I stood in line (for the first time ever) to buy books from the bookstore, I was puzzled why the school's bookstore sold X-Boxes, Vaio's, and had what looked like a misplaced aisle from Fry's Electronics and Hot Topic. I soon learned that people did their Christmas shopping there using the school debit cards, which is where the leftover loan and grant money ended up. I remember thinking "wait, you can do that with that money? I thought it was only for stuff like rent, food, books, transportation, etc." I was so naive. However, it's not my problem. These companies shouldn't be giving out buckets of "free" money to young adults if they're going to be shocked if they use it for stuff like they like.

Yeah as I said in literally the next sentence, I am okay with forgiving it anyways because it was predatory lending that many were mislead with, it's just one gripe I can sort of grok because I saw it firsthand and having grown up poor I was absolutely jealous the people snagging a new laptop with that money and was absolutely hoping they'd eat poo poo for it.

I can intellectually understand something and still be judgey about it I'm only human.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Admittedly since that is a violation of student loan terms I am a LITTLE surprised that kind of thing is done so blatantly, but I also imagine literally zero people have ever been taken to task for spending their SUBSISTENCE ONLY funds on avoiding-total-suffering supplies

Also not that you are claiming any differently but the people who want borrowers to suffer are the same people who think if you are on food stamps you should literally not be allowed to eat anything but salad and tuna or whatever. The cruelty is always the point, gently caress you got mine, boot stamping on human face, et cetera

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I usually just put on my credit applications under occupation "STEM" and they give me the max available loan amount

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smugworth posted:

I usually just put on my credit applications under occupation "STEM" and they give me the max available loan amount

Why would you need a loan with all your STEM pay?

You just be very bad with money

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Why would you need a loan with all your STEM pay?

You just be very bad with money

oh my sweet summer lib arts major, allow someone with a STEM degree to explain credit to you logically:

Bad Purchase posted:

yeah, your credit score will go down when your lines of credit decrease too much or when the average age of your credit accounts goes down. it's dumb because paying off loans or simply closing a credit card account you don't need anymore can reduce your credit score, which doesn't make sense until you realize that credit scores are a metric lenders use to decide how valuable you are as a customer and not how financially responsible you are.

they want people who will stay in debt for a long time, not people who pay off their loans and don't pile on more.

I'm using these lines of credit to invest in snorkels and waterproof basket-ratan now that the 🅱️enevolent 🅱️'s 🅱️iden 🅱️ucks are trickling down to the less wise

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Forgot :agesilaus:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I didn't realize we had so many young goons who still had to build credit. It's great to know that we're still bringing in younger members and that all those :10bux: flowing in can help keep the Somethingawful.com comedy forums alive for years to come.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Wait can republicans somehow block this before I get too big on celebrating? Or is there some chance they'll tie this up in courts forever so it cant be relieved?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I think the GOP will be relentless in attempting to destroy your joy

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

They will absolutely attempt to try and overturn it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nelnet is already moving

They're going to try to enjoin it but if it happens quickly there's no way they can reverse it

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

yeah, your credit score will go down when your lines of credit decrease too much or when the average age of your credit accounts goes down. it's dumb because paying off loans or simply closing a credit card account you don't need anymore can reduce your credit score, which doesn't make sense until you realize that credit scores are a metric lenders use to decide how valuable you are as a customer and not how financially responsible you are.

they want people who will stay in debt for a long time, not people who pay off their loans and don't pile on more.

Yeah credit dumb as hell

I just sold a house in a TURBOFUCKED HOUSIGN MARKET area and bought a house in the boons with the proceeds. Paid off everything and now only have the mortgage to my name and my score dropped like 60 points lol

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Nelnet is already moving

They're going to try to enjoin it but if it happens quickly there's no way they can reverse it

lmao those fucks

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SerSpook posted:

lmao those fucks

To be clear, I mean the GOP will try to stop it and Nelnet is being very good as they usually are and (at least apparently) trying to expedite it

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is there any indication the GOP can actually stop it or delay it indefinitely? I figure they’ll try because I think they stopped caring about optics eons ago, but I’m not sure how serious this threat would be

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

buglord posted:

Is there any indication the GOP can actually stop it or delay it indefinitely? I figure they’ll try because I think they stopped caring about optics eons ago, but I’m not sure how serious this threat would be

No but a federal chudge might delay it if they want to

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The Bloop posted:

To be clear, I mean the GOP will try to stop it and Nelnet is being very good as they usually are and (at least apparently) trying to expedite it

ahhh yeah okay never mind then. i figured they were already trying to stop it

but yeah the GOP is gonna GOP

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1562987193018515462

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I didn't realize we had so many young goons who still had to build credit. It's great to know that we're still bringing in younger members and that all those :10bux: flowing in can help keep the Somethingawful.com comedy forums alive for years to come.

Dude, I'm not young, it just took me a long time to become a functioning human and had a few missteps along the way.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
As a Eurogoon with no student debt, I find it wild that someone paying off their loan will actually damage their credit score. What the gently caress.

I understand the business rationale from a lender’s perspective on why it would be structured this way, but is there even an attempt to put a PR spin on this for consumers?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Halisnacks posted:

As a Eurogoon with no student debt, I find it wild that someone paying off their loan will actually damage their credit score. What the gently caress.

I understand the business rationale from a lender’s perspective on why it would be structured this way, but is there even an attempt to put a PR spin on this for consumers?

America’s a shithole, it’s hard to believe it’s as bad as it is but it’s really funny as well.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Halisnacks posted:

They generally don't sell their services to consumers or don't make a lot of money off them so they don't really care what they think.

I'm not an American, but they way they work around here is that they hire a couple hundred mathematicians/statisticians/data scientist eggheads and look at past data of who defaulted on what debt, when and how often and then try to come up with a model that describes this data and can also predict future defaults with high accuracy. Turns out, if they don't know a lot about you it's very hard to predict if you gonna default or not(that's why your score is mediocre if you don't have a lot of debt, you are an unknown risk to lenders). If you have a lot of debt and pay it reliably or have defaulted often, they can make a good prediction and give you a high or low score. Your score can very well decrease if you drop off the grid and turn from a reliable payer to an unknown again.

Other poo poo they use around here to make predictions is what part of town you live in, open warrants, how often you move, the amount of checking accounts you have(more is bad), your age, etc. As you can imagine, a lot of that work is looking for things that correlate with poverty because they are legally not allowed to save data about your income/wealth lol

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Halisnacks posted:

The company line is that paying off a loan can make your credit score lower (1) if it was your only line of credit, because account diversity is part of the calculation, or (2) if you owe money in other accounts, and closing that account makes your overall credit utilization percentage higher.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1563134164840247296

To the folks who paid of their loans before the debt forgiveness.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

EmbryoSteve posted:

You just invited every goon to come and talk with you???

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Eat poo poo n00bs. I am the 1337. Only come talk 2 me if u are having significant brain problems that impair your APM and cause u 2 get pwned.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

No Pants posted:

The company line is that paying off a loan can make your credit score lower (1) if it was your only line of credit, because account diversity is part of the calculation, or (2) if you owe money in other accounts, and closing that account makes your overall credit utilization percentage higher.

Well... that's likely true. Credit scores don't take into account borrowers' incomes and thus what their debt-to-income ratios are, so stuff can happen that isn't always common sense. 60 points isn't huge anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1563134164840247296

To the folks who paid of their loans before the debt forgiveness.

What if I made a $9200 payment last year, but I am over the earning limit for repayment? Can I request that the government pay my $10k forward to someone else that needs it?