Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Handen posted:

Could the imaging team not eliminate the diffraction spikes entirely with multiple exposures taken at slight rotation from each other? I.e., take one exposure, then rotate the entire craft 7.5°, take the same exposure again, and then end up with two images of the same field with diffraction spikes rotated 7.5° off-axis from the previous exposure, which can then be stacked to eliminate the differences between the two exposures, thereby eliminating BOTH sets of diffraction spikes in the process?

I seem to recall that the Astronomers don't mind the diffraction spikes that much as long as they don't block anything important, as they can get quite a bit of information about the star from the details in them. Obviously if they're not relevant and blocking something they want to see then yeah, getting rid of them would be the go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Handen posted:

Could the imaging team not eliminate the diffraction spikes entirely with multiple exposures taken at slight rotation from each other? I.e., take one exposure, then rotate the entire craft 7.5°, take the same exposure again, and then end up with two images of the same field with diffraction spikes rotated 7.5° off-axis from the previous exposure, which can then be stacked to eliminate the differences between the two exposures, thereby eliminating BOTH sets of diffraction spikes in the process?

I think this would produce a prettier picture for people to look at, but ruin it for astronomy.

#1 the ever so slight imperfections in the image that happen because the main mirror isn't a platonic parabola but a bunch of hexagons, those would also get differenced. I think that would make blurring or distortion to everything away from the center of the picture.

#2 The double set of spikes would still contaminate data on things that astronomers care about. So now you'd have twice as much area near the big stars that is inaccurate spectrum or whatever.

And even if you could do the re-point without using fuel, it would still be wear and tear on the gyro wheels. This thing's life is gonna be primarily limited by how much it has to maneuver. Plus it would take probably 10 times longer per photo, because maneuvering a spacecraft is slooooow.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

I hope whatever alien civilization may come across the Voyager golden record has a blast listening to it should they decipher how to play it.

Because El Cascabel is a total banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkKxN9QJ2wI

I was curious if you could buy an exact (except for the gold) replica of this record and the answer is not really, because the real thing plays at like 16 RPM. They released an approximation of it in LP form a few years ago though

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

I think this would produce a prettier picture for people to look at, but ruin it for astronomy.

#1 the ever so slight imperfections in the image that happen because the main mirror isn't a platonic parabola but a bunch of hexagons, those would also get differenced. I think that would make blurring or distortion to everything away from the center of the picture.

#2 The double set of spikes would still contaminate data on things that astronomers care about. So now you'd have twice as much area near the big stars that is inaccurate spectrum or whatever.

And even if you could do the re-point without using fuel, it would still be wear and tear on the gyro wheels. This thing's life is gonna be primarily limited by how much it has to maneuver. Plus it would take probably 10 times longer per photo, because maneuvering a spacecraft is slooooow.

Wouldn't it be easier to just rotate the whole universe 7.5 degrees instead?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nocheez posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just rotate the whole universe 7.5 degrees instead?

Look ya can't change the rotational speed of the universes if ya do not want the cosmic needle to playback the music music at a different speed as intended.

Do you want the cosmic choir of this our infinite universe to sound like god drat chipmunks, cos that's what you're gonna get.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Jupiter picture looks like 30 year old poo poo give me the HPC processed fake color stuff

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I think the Jupiter pics were just a test or calibration thing.

NASA streamed this talk Wednesday and one of the scientists said they are going to be taking detailed pictures of Jupiter's cloud structures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyDONOJ3_rw

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

I think the Jupiter pics were just a test or calibration thing.

yeah I feel like I read that they took those Jupiter pics to test some stuff out and see if it could even do it, and the result was "JWST is bad loving rear end, even the capabilities tests are insane"

that Jupiter ring made me go :dumbbravo:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Lawman 0 posted:

Honestly we should beam out dick and T&A pics and just see what happens imho.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Do you WANT horny aliens?!

Because that’s how you get horny aliens.

Space Tinder! Spinder :haw:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Last night, I watched the Nova episode on how this got to where it is today, and found it end-to-end bananas from an engineering and logistics standpoint. Every step of the way seemed have non-negotiable blockers that had to be passed 100% with zero margin for error.

I'd probably be cheering if it made it to its orbit but had some glaring error like it couldn't send data back, let alone that it does totally work and is incredible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I knew the new images were much more pronounced than hubble's, but it wasn't until I saw the Scishow Space episode about the new images that it really sunk in as they overlaid them on each other. poo poo is WILD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf4EDcjMtmw&hd=1

also, Hank has some profound words about the new images making people feel small. I really like how he put things, especially towards the end. and also the line "all the time we've spent on earth, from Brachiosaurs to BTS" is funny to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Npwza43NE&hd=1

You Are A Elf posted:

I hope whatever alien civilization may come across the Voyager golden record has a blast listening to it should they decipher how to play it.
speaking of the golden record, I love this song Melodysheep made using sounds and dialogue from it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6zulqXLPUw&hd=1

Skeleton Ape posted:

I was curious if you could buy an exact (except for the gold) replica of this record and the answer is not really, because the real thing plays at like 16 RPM. They released an approximation of it in LP form a few years ago though
yeah this boxed set is what I got for my dad for christmas once and it's really loving cool. lots of neat includes besides the records too. definitely worth getting as a gift for someone who likes space.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

This popped up on my YouTube to show where that binary nebula is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pg1dDkc6A

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So if we’re seeing billions of years into the past, why don’t they turn the scope around and look into future wavelengths??

They probably already have and don’t want us to know!!1

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

You Are A Elf posted:

:tipshat:

Also, Falkor’s snout is pointing toward huge pig balls.

looks more like the pig is making GBS threads a huge diarrhea cloud

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
It was mentioned before but a few weeks ago the telescope got smacked by a tiny meteor and it did some good damage

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
and yet it's still giving us these amazing images and performing better than expected :monocle:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Poor thing's gonna look like Season 4 Battlestar Galactica by the end of the decade.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
AaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA

https://www.businessinsider.com/webb-space-telescope-found-oldest-and-most-distant-known-galaxy-2022-7

In a single work week, NASA's James Webb Space Telescope broke the record for the oldest galaxy ever observed

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nuts and Gum posted:

So if we’re seeing billions of years into the past, why don’t they turn the scope around and look into future wavelengths??

They probably already have and don’t want us to know!!1
NASA has a strict No Spoilers policy.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Seth Pecksniff posted:

AaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA

https://www.businessinsider.com/webb-space-telescope-found-oldest-and-most-distant-known-galaxy-2022-7

In a single work week, NASA's James Webb Space Telescope broke the record for the oldest galaxy ever observed

Apparently this is a bit less confirmed than the reports are making it out to be, at least for now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJe0s1iDYLc

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

when will we got more pics god damnit

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

AHH F/UGH posted:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

ain't no one wanna see your deviantart page bro

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Less pics, LESS pics plz

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Apparently this is a bit less confirmed than the reports are making it out to be, at least for now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJe0s1iDYLc

I will find and destroy the James Webb Space Telescope for lying to me

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

just gonna take better pictures of both galaxies real quick and see whats up nbd

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

AHH F/UGH posted:

how about now I got sick of waiting and spent my evening downloading 8 gigs of raw data of a target that doesn't seem to have been released yet based on a cursory twitter search and cobbled together this poorly processed superzoom of the Large Magellanic Cloud

As far as I know yall are the second people to see this after gip discord

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shame on an IGA posted:

how about now I got sick of waiting and spent my evening downloading 8 gigs of raw data of a target that doesn't seem to have been released yet based on a cursory twitter search and cobbled together this poorly processed superzoom of the Large Magellanic Cloud

:black101:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

Every time I see stuff like this it just absolutely blows my mind how infinite the universe really is

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

that's the red rectangle on this zoomed out pic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

shame on an IGA posted:

Holy moly :eyepop:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Why do I feel a large sense of vertigo all of a sudden?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Confusedslight posted:

Why do I feel a large sense of vertigo all of a sudden?

Too much drugs?

Not enough drugs?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

shame on an IGA posted:

we are so utterly hosed

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Demon Of The Fall posted:

It was mentioned before but a few weeks ago the telescope got smacked by a tiny meteor and it did some good damage

That's not good... it's only been deployed for a short while so far, so it's probably going to get more strikes like this. :(

Edit:

"Engineers are still modeling how frequently such events will occur. "It is not yet clear whether the May 2022 hit to segment C3 was a rare event," the team wrote. By "rare," they said it is possible that they happened to get a high-energy impact that should statistically happen only once every few years.

Alternatively, it may be that Webb is "more susceptible to damage by micrometeoroids than pre-launch modeling predicted," the team wrote. Modeling is ongoing to estimate the hazardous population of micrometeoroids and to figure out remedies, such as restricting pointing direction.

One remedy could be minimizing the amount of time Webb points directly into its orbital direction, "which statistically has higher micrometeoroid rates and energies," the team wrote.

Main mirror performance is assessed by how much it deforms starlight, according to Astronomy magazine, and measured using what scientists call wavefront error root mean square. When Webb's mission began, the affected C3 segment had a wavefront error of 56 nanometers rms, which was in line with the 17 other mirror portions.

Post-impact, however, the error increased to 258 nm rms, but realignments to the mirror segments as a whole reduced the overall impact to just 59 nm rms. For the time being, the team wrote Webb's alignment is well within performance limits, as the realigned mirror segments are "about 5-10 nm rms above the previous best wavefront error rms values."

From https://www.space.com/james-webb-space-telescope-micrometeoroid-damage.

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 25, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bula Vinaka posted:

That's not good... it's only been deployed for a short while so far, so it's probably going to get more strikes like this. :(

Edit:

"Engineers are still modeling how frequently such events will occur. "It is not yet clear whether the May 2022 hit to segment C3 was a rare event," the team wrote. By "rare," they said it is possible that they happened to get a high-energy impact that should statistically happen only once every few years.

Alternatively, it may be that Webb is "more susceptible to damage by micrometeoroids than pre-launch modeling predicted," the team wrote. Modeling is ongoing to estimate the hazardous population of micrometeoroids and to figure out remedies, such as restricting pointing direction.

One remedy could be minimizing the amount of time Webb points directly into its orbital direction, "which statistically has higher micrometeoroid rates and energies," the team wrote.

Main mirror performance is assessed by how much it deforms starlight, according to Astronomy magazine, and measured using what scientists call wavefront error root mean square. When Webb's mission began, the affected C3 segment had a wavefront error of 56 nanometers rms, which was in line with the 17 other mirror portions.

Post-impact, however, the error increased to 258 nm rms, but realignments to the mirror segments as a whole reduced the overall impact to just 59 nm rms. For the time being, the team wrote Webb's alignment is well within performance limits, as the realigned mirror segments are "about 5-10 nm rms above the previous best wavefront error rms values."

From https://www.space.com/james-webb-space-telescope-micrometeoroid-damage.

Those thresholds are wild. Why didn’t they just install a mosquito zapper at the tip?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I've been hesitant to bump this thread because I didn't want to get peoples' hopes up BUT DAT NEW poo poo JUST DROPPED

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/webb-captures-stellar-gymnastics-in-the-cartwheel-galaxy

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

ProperCoochie posted:

I've been hesitant to bump this thread because I didn't want to get peoples' hopes up BUT DAT NEW poo poo JUST DROPPED

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/webb-captures-stellar-gymnastics-in-the-cartwheel-galaxy

Oh my

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It's missing the ring. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Those galaxies are 500 million light years away and we are seeing them as if they’re just around the corner :aaaaa:

LanceHunter posted:

It's missing the ring. :(

That’s why it’s called a ring galaxy :v: