Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm a little sad to see the old thread go because it has been around longer than my return to Magic. There's a post from January 2015 of me talking about getting back into the hobby with a focus on EDH and talking about a bunch of janky decks ( Zurgo Helmsmasher Voltron, Nekusar, the Mindrazer, Krenko, Mob Boss, and Daretti, Scrap Savant). Truly an artifact of an ancient time.

Batterypowered7 posted:

If you all had to pick your favorite cEDH and your favorite non-cEDH decks (say ~7/10, in your personal opinion), what would they be? Toss up some links if you've got 'em!

cEDH:
Right now I just have two decks built and they're essentially the stock lists of Godo and Winota. I've been tinkering with another style of Rule of Law deck -- possibly something based on Ardenn/Tana Hipster Stax/(Cobble's version) or Ishai/Tevesh Humility.

Casual:
I like my dumb Neheb, the Eternal big red deck. Lots of impulsive draw, big damage, and basically folds if someone removes Neheb.
My "Ashnod" (aka Negan) deck has only been taken out for a spin once and is in the middle of an update, but it's pretty fun to churn out treasure tokens even if it ultimately doesn't do a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Tarnop posted:

How did your Spider Collider deck work out in practice?

I only played it once so far (I need to play more magic!) but it did okay into the meta I built it for. I never even got Thantis out, but Virtus/Gorm did a fair bit of work before I stalled out and got killed. Just need more reps before I do too many more tweaks, but that group has mostly moved from online play to in person play (and they live across the country from me).

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Bust Rodd posted:

Our pod has a very weird selective memory, it’s true. I cannot count how many times I’ve gone “hey guys, that’s Najeela” and everyone is like “yup, Stax, Stax, Rule of Law, More Stax” “ok now I can’t move or draw cards or cast spells” “yeah, I know, that’s crazy, anyways attack with Najeela, make 16 warriors”

Me: “She CANT KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS!!!!”

If I could figure out how to upload images on mobile I would post that Simpsons one Jackelope made about Malcolm deflecting attention to Najeela.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Speaking of, Moxfield just had a huge update which includes collection tracking for all users. Previously it was in beta and only available to patrons but it rolled out live with a bunch of other stuff this last update.

It's definitely my favorite deck building website.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Howdy , I haven't been an active poster, but I have really enjoyed reading the previous thread.

Could someone take a look at my K'rrik deck? It started life as an Ascendant Evincar Aggro deck back in 2011, but through many years and various iterations I've been able to transform it into an unfocused mess. I was initially aiming for more of a suicide black aggro strategy, but then other things started creeping in, like more life control / life swap elements and the Aetherflux / Bolas' Citadel combo, along with a couple of pet cards. Any recommendations?

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/2arNPoxwEEmU3I2nfJkv2Q

I'd sort it all by CMC and start taking a really hard look at some of the more expensive cards. There's a lot of high-end in this deck, so evaluate how many times you have these spells sitting in your hand taking up space when playing. The idea of Profane Transfusion is cool, especially if you're nuking yourself on the way, but you're still going to need six mana even with K'rrik out to cast it.

You're one card off from having the Citadel/Aetherflux/Sensei's Top combo so if you want to add in infinite combos, that's a solid add.

[edit] I've seen Bust's list in action a few times and it's a solid reference point, imo.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I would not bother trying to tie prizes to wins or try to police decks.

One LGS I went to in the past had commander nights that were like $5 or $10 buy in and that guaranteed you a booster, two pods, and a spin on their homemade prize wheel (lowest prize was another booster, also had drinks/snacks, multiple boosters, $10 store credit, etc).

I've also seen one that gives each player a booster to keep and one to award to a player in the pod. Could either be for coolest play, winning, whatever.

I just don't think commander is well suited for organized tournaments unless it's full on cEDH where everyone is on the same level.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought Marchesa was a treasure commander but it turns out my friend just has a Marchesa skin for his Negan and that's not a real card! Whoops! Whenever anyone asks about Marchesa thats what i thought they were talking about! ha ha!

If this is me, my reskinned Negan is Ashnod! How dare you conflate the two.

:)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'll take anything that's sleeve playable.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
No rush 10min BGH gogogo

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Blogs in 2022? Big lol emoji.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Toxrill is a generic dimir deck (so baseline is already solid) which means it has a pretty good turbo adnaus/thoracle plan. It also allows you to run the dramatic scepter combo with Toxrill being the outlet. Actually casting and swinging with Toxrill is Plan C or D at absolute best, but that's still a decent fallback case because it eats hatebears alive, gives you card advantage, and is a decent clock.

Edit: I can't see Kormus Bell being in the actual optimized deck list. It's just a cute interaction.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s not about being a mana outlet

I mean, it is about being an infinite mana outlet. Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter are super easy tutor targets in Dimir, and if you get the Dramatic Scepter out you can just win right there. Having an infinite mana outlet in the command zone is super valuable, as you well know Mr. Extus.

Toxrill, despite its creature type, has legs as a competitive deck. I don't know if it's better than something like Najeela but it's still a very high tier by the nature of having blue and black, access to compact game ending combos, and a reliable fall-back plan if the game drags on.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The c in cEDH stands for chill.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Obosh Dragon's Approach

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Tinybones is going to be built around repeated mass discard. It's going to cause feel bads in casual tables.

I mentioned this in the discord, but so many cool mono black commanders fall into that camp. I've made lists for a lot of them but they're oppressive for casual and too slow/fragile for cEDH. Tergrid, Tinybones, Konrad, Yawgmoth... It's annoying.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's a cool deck. I like that something that weird can be competitively viable. I think the good pilots of it have a ton of skill and have really mastered an oddball of a deck.

I never want to play it and I'd pray that anyone in my pod who takes it out knows what they're doing or it's going to be a slog.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Also, Lynch is/was the guy doing all the video/audio/editing on IHYD.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've also got a dedicated treasure deck and it sure does churn out treasures.

It doesn't really do anything after that, though :v:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jiro posted:

What are your outlets to actually use the treasure you built up? Revel in Riches, Marionette Master, some crazy rear end Eldrazi? Direct damage spells plus something like Fork?

It's kind of a dumb deck. Some of the uses for treasures (aside from "make mana") in my deck are:

Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast / Grim Hireling - removal
Disciple of the Vault / Reckless Fireweaver / Mayhem Devil / Marionette Master / Ghirapur Aether Grid - very slowly poke people until they get annoyed and kill you
Goblin Welder / Goblin Engineer - artifact recursion
Hellkite Tyrant / Revel in Riches - win

Dizz posted:

how do you even get full arts of cards like grim hireling and prosper? are they in the boosters as well?

Buying them as singles from retailers.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That works but I'm probably just going to take this deck apart since it isn't really doing it for me. Forever building and ripping apart decks...

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Thank you for sharing.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
They definitely didn't forget how creature types work.

Having a typeless creature doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of the game. The creature type of your random value creature in most decks doesn't even matter unless the deck is built around them anyway. Gilded Drake or Deathrite Shaman could very well be a Plant Fish and 99.9% of games where it comes up would play out the same.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I really wasn't expecting "shrine isn't a creature type" to be a discussion for more than 5 seconds tops, but I guess some people feel strongly about it.

Shrine isn't a creature type just like arcane isn't and food isn't and forest isn't.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
If you haven't experienced banding in limited, it's surprisingly strong.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
EDH is good.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Heath posted:

At least Rebecca Guay is still pure

Please do not disabuse me of this notion

Everything I've seen indicates this is true. She even called Seb out and he did his "let's talk in private" response.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

fadam posted:

Is there a good site to get a pdf I can send to staples to print out some quick-and-dirty proxies for a friend who is thinking about getting into CEDH? I don't really like the way Moxfield's look.

Low effort with good enough results:

Copy/paste from scryfall into a Google doc, resize images to 2.5 inches wide.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Generally with Hermit Druid lines, you have zero basic lands in your deck so you can guarantee dumping the whole deck into the graveyard.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
This game would be so much better if we had batches again.

Magic died when they got rid of mono artifacts.

Real wizards play with ante. If you don't, you're a coward.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The SA-Mart thread sees a fair bit of traffic. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
There's a lot of crossover among EDH and cEDH content creators. There are at least a few folks who are on multiple podcasts/playgroups. Higher is one of them. Cal (PWP Cal, not TMS Cal) is another I think.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I find it pretty weird that decklists in Star City Games articles are only divided up into "creatures", "spells", and "land" and not any further by type.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm always curious what events had to transpire to lead to groups adopting such weird rules.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
You could also just only ever play brand new commanders because the DDB takes a while to add new decks. Like I don't think the UW vehicle is on there yet but definitely has potential.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The "gently caress you, got mine" proxy rule is more common than you'd like to think and it really sucks.

TheKingslayer posted:

I would like to know more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwEzbe0IBKc

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

ObsidianBeast posted:

I just played my first ever game of commander last night, and it was a blast!

That's awesome!

quote:

Anyway now I have 3 other ideas for decks and it's all downhill from here.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

LeafHouse posted:

drat, not so much as a sniff of Kess. Might be time for me to update to a new cEDH deck.

Kess is still fine. If it's what you like, stick with it. These events show it's more about deck familiarity and player piloting than deck lists themselves.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Toshimo posted:

Did I miss something or did the mono-red player underpay for their Adaptive Automaton right at the start?

Stuck on my phone but it looks like they cracked a treasure, put it aside, then put the treasure back into play. Oopsie.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
... why does that matter? This is a deck box. It's designed by a guy who makes his living reviewing deck boxes. His goal was to design and sell a deck box. Why does it need a bunch of random kickstarter junk added in? The stretch goals aren't in the "redesign the product" realm because that's usually dumb and makes things more difficult. It's literally just "this is a deck box, this is how you buy my deck box" with silly things added on top because that fits his whole schtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I figure even metallic dragons are pretty selfish, self absorbed, and greedy.