Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Toshimo posted:

If you want my previous edition of "cards that were under a dollar when I made this list a couple of months ago and are actually quite good", then here's that one: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/rAj7puhPlEmtNnrIfeY5aw

I'm sure that if you are looking for any sort of list of "Best cards matching XXX criteria", then there's half a dozen people in this very thread willing to knowledge dump on it, just like happened with the 2-drop mana rocks a couple pages ago.

This is a really great list, thanks for putting it together!

This and the other finance talk gets me wondering: I know that the "bottom" edge of budget cEDH as far as the budget brews people are concerned is $500. Looking through a lot of lists, it'll often be that $200-300 is tied up in only 2-3 cards, and the rest are $1 or under. This is unavoidable in some cases, such as Ghave who simply doesn't work without Earthcraft, or Elsha, who goes off best with a Sensei's Divining Top, or any of the various decks that use blinking/recasting Dockside Extortionist to go infinite. It's a lesser form of those budgetless decks where $13,000 of the $14,000 is tied up in Timetwister.

So, my question is thus: is it possible to build a deck that could participate at the cEDH level wherein no card other than the commander costs more than $15?

(I mean, the answer is yes, and I've seen Urza, Edric, Yuriko, and Yisan lists at $50 budgets (sans commander) that run very well, and where adding in Mox Diamonds and fetch lands and such would be at best slight speed improvements, but what other builds can rush out cheap combos and/or don't rely on terribly expensive combo enablers?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Dizz posted:

lmao what. and i actually saw a few of his videos and was like "hmm some of these decks are interesting in comparison to what i've seen so far"

In response to the RC's refusal to ban the Walking Dead secret lair cards, Mitch (the host) decided he would make his own format, with black jack and hookers. "Captain", as it was called, was intended to be a completely democratic format: people in the discord would vote on bans and changes, choose 7 Elected administrators (EAs) and 1 Scribe, who would enforce Robert's Rules of Order at meetings. Any card could be proposed for banning except for basic lands and other "gold" cards.

It... it did not go well. In true internet fashion, a bunch of Nazis swarmed the discord, voted Mitch out, and poo poo everything up real good. Not that it had a chance of ever becoming a dominant format, given that it was built on spite, but...

https://mtgcaptain.cards/Archive/Elections/EA-Recall-Vote-2021.html

quote:

Resignation Letter from Ammo37:

I hereby tender my resignation. I'm going to be stepping away from magic completely for awhile. One of the criticisms we've gotten is that we're just "playing government." I had believed that we were actually trying to build something, but it seems true building isn't actually feasible. I'll likely be pulling away from other areas of life too.

Farewell and good luck.

quote:

Resignation Letter from Shushir:

Hi, all.

This message is to notify the community that I will be retiring from my position effectively immediately. Much like Ammo, I am stepping down because I thought this community had the potential to develop into something new and exciting, a metaphorical "shining city on the hill", at least so far as Magic the Gathering is concerned: a truly democratically ran format, where the voice of the community is what matters, not some shadowy rules committee or some corporate black suits. However, Hobbit, the owner copyright of the Constitution has made it abundantly clear that they do not have the interest of the community at heart. While the copyright for the Constitution was created for the purpose to be used as a shield for the format and the community, a way of preventing outside interference into our delicate, but potentially crucially impactful format, Hobbit has instead decided to use it as a a sword. Hobbit has chosen to resort to threats, saying that they would revoke all copyright to the constitution if proposals they liked didn't pass. So far, there's been one threat, and this was only the first full meeting of the EA body. There is nothing stopping Hobbit from continuing to do this any time a proposal they don't like comes up, and there is no accountability structure in place that Hobbit can't counteract. "Do as I say or else" is not democracy, it's the opposite. The fact that the community now has to live in fear of Hobbit's shadow saps the democratic will of the community. It is due expressly to Hobbit's lack of accountability in this regard and willingness to threaten the format's democratically chosen foundations that I am leaving. I have left screenshots concerning Hobbit's actions in the #sm-ea-discussion channel for people to go to to find the unfiltered, unedited information themselves, free of bias. I will be here and there for a while, at least to make sure the community is properly informed as I am able.

Good luck, and best wishes.

-Shushir

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Drowning Rabbit posted:

With his ties to WotC, I am not surprised really.

Lynch from I Hate Your Deck recently posted on twitter asking if people had the original dual lands ( While the Gif I made said Dual, he wrote Duel... ) and Sheldon replied saying how he doesn't want people to think they need them for EDH.

https://twitter.com/PleasantKenobi/status/1479052151435534343

It's a very "funny" situation because so many of these cock-ups were caused by Garfield and the rest of the original designers assuming that, because of the regional distribution and scarcity of certain cards, it would be okay for some of them to be absolutely better than others. Like, surely no one would spend that much money and effort to assemble a Magic deck, right? It's either a fundamental misunderstanding of how games intersect with capitalism, or a cynical lie to drive more sales. (Compare and contrast with one of my all time favorite games, Anachronism, which had 100 cards per set, all with fixed distribution, and thus the only chase cards were tournament and mail-in promos. On the consumer side, it was great, because you paid $100 and you were done with investments until the next set dropped. On the industry side, however, Tri-King struggled to make a profit, and went out of business two years in...)

This same competitive logic, however, gives rise to the entire bootlegging industry: there is demand for a product, and bootleggers are the only "reasonable" way to get them. Were it available through more convenient or legal channels, much of the business would flock there (i.e. most people would rather just go to a liquor store, than a shady back alley and buy out of some guy's trunk), but since it is not... I cannot pull these objectively better cards from easily available packs; thus, my options are to do without (and likely lose and have less fun than my rich friends (there are certainly diminishing returns, but there is definitely a baseline investment require to play certain formats)), spend the price of a used car on this hobby to have "real" cards, or pay some guys in China 1/200th of what the guy on TCGPlayer wants for what is, from a game play perspective, the same playing piece. But then the attempt by monopolies to throw up obstacles and prevent competitors from entering the market, thus retaining their absolute pricing jurisdiction (they can't be undersold by a competitor if they are the only source) is a story some 400 years old, touching everything from books to musicals to liquor to tea to spices to electronics to...

Basically this, but with Magic cards:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

According to the RCA:

Turns 1-4: Set up some durdly poo poo. Do NOT ATTACK ANYONE, WHY AREN'T YOU UPHOLDING THE SOCIAL CONTRACT, OH MY GOD

Turns 5-??: Try to execute your game plan, but only if you 1) don't use tutors, and 2) you don't stop anyone else in any way from executing theirs.

There was a whole essay in the beginning of either Savage Attack or With Fang and Claw, the strategy guides for the old Rage CCG by White Wolf, where the author decried the people playing the best and most optimal cards, and extoled the virtues of playing "stylishly" through some multi-card combo that accomplished less than the basic "Use strong werewolf, play best attack card" mentioned before.

And I get the impulse, I really do. I want my dumb Lin Sivvi deck to be good. It's a fun interaction when I get Maskwood Nexus out and can suddenly tutor any creature in the library directly into play. But there's a definite and unbreakable ceiling as to how good that particular commander will go, and given that Rebel tribal is has been dead for 20+ years, it's unlikely to ever get a push over that threshold. Not impossible (think Godo before and after Helm of the Host), but highly unlikely.

Overall, it's just not that efficient: there's no circumstances in which playing my commander and an artifact to spend more mana to tutor cards out will be better than playing my commander and an artifact and winning right then and there (Heliod/Ballista, for example).

Style and silly interactions are great, but the RC only grudgingly acknowledging that some people play the game to win the game...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Aranan posted:

Toxrill is a generic dimir deck (so baseline is already solid) which means it has a pretty good turbo adnaus/thoracle plan. It also allows you to run the dramatic scepter combo with Toxrill being the outlet. Actually casting and swinging with Toxrill is Plan C or D at absolute best, but that's still a decent fallback case because it eats hatebears alive, gives you card advantage, and is a decent clock.

Edit: I can't see Kormus Bell being in the actual optimized deck list. It's just a cute interaction.

I agree with this assessment. It's a Dimir shell (and so, decently good even if the commander is never cast), coupled with a decent removal ability to hit dorks and hatebears (i.e. Thalia, Aven Mindcensor, Vryn Wingmare, Notion Thief, Esper Sentinel, Hushwing Gryff, Glowrider, Kataki, and many others are all 1 toughness), and a draw ability once you have those slugs (including the ability to sac itself to its own ability, negating Gilded Drake and Oko style removal). Seven mana is a lot, but it's comparable with Sygg or Kels in terms of deck construction

In addition to all this, it's flavorful, and that is appealing to a lot of folks. Many very good commanders like Thrasios and Kraum are pretty dull. They give card advantage, and they're efficient in ways that most commanders aren't, but there's not much flavor or uniqueness to it; the commander is just kind of incidentally providing color identity and drawing cards. During many games, they won't even be cast at all. When you have a big slug who puts slime counters on everything, it's easy to put together the type of character this is and the story the card is trying to tell. Other recent cards in that category and ones like Pako and Haldane, where the dog is playing fetch, or Winota, where she's putting together a coalition of humans and monsters. It's easier for me to explain why vampire assassin Etrata puts hit counters on people to win the game or why vampire lord Edgar Markov easily summons a vast army under his control even when he himself is not in play. It's more difficult to explain why Kraum draws you cards when your opponents do things, when he's a fast flying two-headed zombie guy, or to get into the spirit trees of the Abzan to explain Anafenza's "rest in peace" effect. I believe there's a similar Spike/Johnny thing between the wargamers who prefer to play to win and couldn't care less whether it's a toy boat, a plastic chit with triangles, or a pewter soldier they're moving around the board, and the folks who need to make sure the miniature tank they're fielding is the painted the exact right shade of green for the English Army in 1943...

It may have no bearing on actual game play, but I think it does explain why certain cards and strategies blow up.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Sheldon posted:

Accepting that all styles of play are valid only goes so far in what we want to accomplish, which is to be the best social format around.  We can recognize the former while still understanding where some source of friction arises.  The big takeaway is that we can’t ban our way out of trouble.  Social problems require social solutions. 

Jesus...

I'm not sure who said it first, but the stench of "if your game needs a lot of houserules to make it work, it's a badly designed game" is all over this article

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Gynovore posted:

The big difference here is that VTES was designed from the ground up with multiplayer in mind. There's no bullshit about pretending be the least threat at the table until you can bust out your combo.

The Prey/Predator mechanic is one of the better designed I've seen in a multiplayer game. Each player has a designated set of enemies (person to the left you want to kill, person on your right wants to kill you) and they get rewarded for anyone taking out their prey. Taking out the person trying to kill me just results in their predator getting rewarded, not me. And once that person is dead, then the new person on my left is my prey. The game bakes in different priorities, and makes you weigh "optimal" attacks versus potentially rewarding your enemies.

Wish I still had a playgroup for it, VTES was so much fun

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Dizz posted:

playing casual competitively, and competitive casually.

Man, I wish they were still putting out content...

https://www.youtube.com/c/CasuallyCompetitiveMTG

Toshimo posted:

As always:

BAN

• The Reserved List
  • 0-1 Mana rocks
  • Demonic Consultation
  • Doomsday

UNBAN
Sway of the Stars

:hmmyes:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Get a coin flipping app and use dry erase tokens cards.

Sounds similar to The Gitrog Monster loop, where technically you can re-draw your hand an infinite number of times by constantly discarding and looping the Dredge trigger on Dakmor Salvage while Gitrog is in play to reset the "discard down to 7" part of the end step to sculpt a perfect hand. Most groups will shortcut by having the person explain the loop and its results and skipping ahead to just choosing the hand they want to end up with, but if you ever want to annoy the person playing it, make them explain how each step actually works, and then ask them to play through it because you're still not sure how the combo works.

As there's well over a trillion trillion trillion possible combinations of card order in an EDH deck, you could theoretically be there until everyone dies of old age.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah Gitrog is still an insane monster but I think you’ll find that over time really demanding and gimmicky decks don’t have a lot of staying power, even if they are super powerful. Krark & Sakashima is arguably like the 10th or 15th most powerful thing you can be doing in the command zone, so it’s about asking yourself to jump through hoops, instead of your opponents. That’s gonna fatigue a pilot over time, or at least that’s been my experience watching over 20 people build and dismantle Korvold or Chulane because every action you take has 5 triggers and if you make a mistake it leads to really frustrating games where you feel like you made 50 choices and they were all wrong.

This has definitely been my experience as well.

Like, I remember being excited seeing an Inalla deck on the cedh database, because she's been one of my favorite commanders ever since I started playing. But then reading the primer, with this, like, 17 step very specifically ordered chain of cards, I was immediately like "Nah, not going to rebuild her to this list, I don't want to memorize that many steps when I'm just playing for fun"

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Danke schön.

I was a little excited when Inalla was mentioned and then a little disappointed it was just a Thoracle deck.

Yeah, that was similar to the reaction I had. "Oh, all that just for Thoracle?"

Like, I'm sure it's quite good in the right hands, but I agree with Bust that if I need an app to keep track of my combo lines, that just doesn't feel like playing Magic... Reminds me of the "Yeah, this video game is really fun! You download all these macros to maximize attack chain efficiency, and then..." (Which I'm sure is very fun to a certain type of player, and I'd certainly not tell someone they're having fun wrong, I am simply not that style of player)

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Unconfirmed leak, but you know...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

We were talking about Inalla a few days back. Here's what the deck is capable of, if you can memorize the lines and mulligan properly. I certainly couldn't pilot it this well, but it's impressive to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec1dxkypVkc

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What am I missing? All three of the listed cards work fine with Gate?

Gate removes artifacts, not enchantments

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I think with banding, the point that's hardest to get across if why you would bother:

"So, if I band a flying creature with a non-flying creature, they can only be blocked by fliers?"
"No, unfortunately not."
"Oh, so, do I get to, like, combine trample damage or something?"
"Nope again. Basically, all you get to do is assign damage, rather that your opponent assigning damage."
"Oh, so, like, I could band a bunch of 2/2s and and if my opponent blocks with a 3/3, I can give my creatures one damage each so they survive?"
"That's right."
"But the whole band can still be blocked by just one creature?"
"Correct."
"So, if my opponent has a single large creature that I want to kill, I can attack with a banded group, and they have to chose between losing their big guy or taking all the damage themselves, while if they block, I can spread their damage out and have my guys survive, rather than a non-banded attack, when regularly the opponent could only block one of them while the rest get through?"
"Exactly."
"How often does that come up?"
"Basically never, but, you know, it could happen. Now, let's talk about Rampage, which provided a disincentive for blocking with more than one creature..."

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 6, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Chakan posted:

Yeah it's baffling to say "we're the people who write the rules, but if you just put in the work to mould your group right, there's no problems".

Magic's transition from D&D to WoD continues in more ways than going from Forgotten Realms to Werewolves and Vampires...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

You wouldn't think it'd be hard to say "Nazis are bad. I don't like Nazis." It's pretty uncontroversial to dislike Nazis in most circles.

But some guys...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Grevlek posted:

i totally understand it is very chud-brained, just not sure if it's chud-brained enough I can get away with getting a Hanna playmat

Not sure what you mean, it's very pretty art, and would make a lovely playmat

Is there some sort of alternate world where Hanna has art other than the two versions from Double Masters and Invasion? ;)

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

This is cool as hell

Also, my browser's auto-translate both leaves something to be desired and generates a lot of anime characters:

quote:

pre:
Leader	color board	Number of users
"Weaver Timna"
"Rudevic's masterpiece, Krum"	Black and white red	9

"Nazira, the person who blooms the blade"	5 colors	6

"Civilization, Winota"	White red	5

"Wild soul, Ashaya"	緑	5

"Kinan, the ⁇ priest"	turquoise	4

"Foolish Destruction, Tevesh That"
"Rograkow, son of Rovkafu"	Black red	4

"Sir of the Supreme Design, Urza"	青	4

"Ritual magician, Inara"	Blue black red	3

"Crushing vial"
"Malcolm, a keen-eyed navigator"	Blue black red	3

"Tiger's shadow, Yuriko"	Blue and white	3

"Noisy manuscript, Cody"	5 colors	2

"Weaver Timna"
"Malcolm, a keen-eyed navigator"	Black and white	2

"Weaver Timna"
"Krosa's Heart, Kamal"	Black and white green	2

"Coursesman, Cyrus Ren"
"Rograkow, son of Rovkafu"	Blue black red	2

"Thousands of face reverse images"
"East Tree Spirit"	turquoise	2

"Gitrag Monster"	Black green	2

"Around-life, Orvar"	青	2

"Kerik, son of Yogmos"	黒	2

"Thick face outlaw, Magda"	赤	2

"Parent, Marwin"	緑	2

"Archer Dragon"	5 colors	1

"First ancestor River"	5 colors	1

"One-eyed girth"	5 colors	1

"Kenris, the returning king"	5 colors	1

"Creation, Omnas"	White blue red green	1

"Knaiji Zuar"	Black and white	1

"Wind wrath, Kaika"	White blue red	1

"Currection Tactician, Delhi Vee"	White and blue	1

"Angus Mackenzie"	White and blue	1

"2 Tian-1, 1st heart"	Black and white red	1

"Giant Kalia"	Black and white red	1

"Minsk, a beloved ranger"	White red green	1

"Counter-establishment mage, Kess"	Blue black red	1

"Asterious Lagoon, Arcelos"	Blue and white green	1

"Sword of stone, dummy"	Blue and white green	1

"Korvold, the King cursed by Faye"	Black red green	1

"Open ⁇ Organization, Victory Instrument"	Blue white	1

"Taisa Karlov"	black and white	1

"Awaken, Zada"	White red	1

"Returned explorer, Selvara"	White and green	1

"Autumn Monarch, Renor"	White and green	1

"Voice of Toyonake, Sharai"	White and green	1

"Naichi's Riere"	Blue red	1

"Parn, Nivu-Misette"	Blue red	1

"Joyla, captain of Weatherlight"	Blue red	1

"Fire of fate, Yousuri"	Blue red	1

"Trest detective, Edrick"	turquoise	1

"Chief Chairman Vanifar"	turquoise	1

"Eternal creator, Rashmi"	turquoise	1

"Sloor Druid, Tatoyova"	turquoise	1

"Lactus, the chief of the riot"	Black red	1

"Hapachira, a samurai of poisons"	Black green	1

"Ominous hunting needs"	Red green	1

"The Apostle of the Goddess, Teshar"	白	1

" ⁇ Blood, Razakesh"	黒	1

"Desolation Dragon, Skizirix"	黒	1

"Gess, King of the Great Spirit Hall"	黒	1

"Perforos, the god of blacksmithing"	赤	1

"Pandit's head, Corporal"	赤	1

"It's agile, mud, Ragaban"	赤	1

"Neheb, the hero of the horror"	赤	1

"Titania, Asylum of Argos"	緑	1

"Grossama that plows everything"	緑	1

"A lost seeker, Azusa"	緑	1

"Weaver Timna"
"Trichon's hero, Trasios"	White blue black green	1

"Trichon's hero, Trasios"
"Throwth, Akiri"	White blue red green	1

"Crushing vial"	Blue black red green	1

"Rudevic's masterpiece, Krum"
" ⁇ Robber, Ikura Sidiiki"	Blue black red green	1

"Weaver Timna"
"Thousands of face reverse images"	Black and white	1

"Weaver Timna"
"Rograkow, son of Rovkafu"	Black and white red	1

"Rough rancher Bruce Tar"
"Malcolm, a keen-eyed navigator"	White blue red	1

"Foolish Destruction, Tevesh That"	Blue and white green	1

"Those who sow blood, Tana"
"Malcolm, a keen-eyed navigator"	Blue red green	1

"Paco, carrying a secretive ring"
"Hardan, an avid esoteric"	Blue red green	1

"Those who sow blood, Tana"
"Foolish Destruction, Tevesh That"	Black red green	1

"Briechess, Abbreviation of Iron-Way Union"
"Malcolm, a keen-eyed navigator"	Blue red	1

"Clark without thumb"
"Thousands of face reverse images"	Blue red	1

"Magic of burning nails, Kedis"
"Malcolm, a keen-eyed navigator"	Blue red	1

"Three times re-birth, Jesca"
"Shipbreak, Dargo"	赤	1

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Dizz posted:

Can't make a claim without knowing the dude in depth but the only thing i can comment on is when you spend a whole day playing with 3 other players and focusing on everyone's moves and board state, things will eventually get hazy.

Mistakes definitely happen, even with folks who know they'll have to look at the footage later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBjRhlqLWH8

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Some other commander-centric youtube channels to check out, to replace IHYD in your viewing rotation:

AliasV: https://www.youtube.com/c/AliasVEDH/

Rebell Son: https://www.youtube.com/c/RebellSon/videos

The Stack: https://www.youtube.com/c/MTGTheStack

cEDH TV: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzt3cj_wzuNp4yRP9ZEBAmg

Play to Win: https://www.youtube.com/c/PlaytoWinMTG

SmoothBrainEDH: https://www.youtube.com/c/SmoothBrainEDH

KingdomsTV: https://www.youtube.com/c/KingdomsTV/

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

:yikes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YQ-xp5DSkWUes5iAHm0QDABl8Z6cgXHn/view

quote:

Trigger warning: Disordered eating, body dysmorphia, coercion

Recently I have been made aware of a Buzzfeed article addressing actors who were pressured into filming nudity and sex scenes they were not comfortable with. The writer of the Buzzfeed article pulled quotes from a story I consented to in 2018 by the Washington Post, and did not reach out to me for comment, or even to let me know it was being published.

Since the article was published Mike reached out through his representation to apologize. I accepted his apology, believing at the time it was sincere and motivated by his time in therapy as he said. I did not realize that after the article was released he began lashing out at me on Twitter through the I hate Your Deck twitter handle. I did not realize that after the MTG community rejected his reactions, he changed his words. I didn't realize that it took all of this happening over the course of 2 days before he decided to reach out and apologize to me.

I took his email at face value and believed him when he said he’d been working through this in therapy. I have spent lots of time in therapy myself processing this, it was many years ago, and I was happy to accept his apology and move forward.

However, after reading his public statement, tweets he has since deleted, and having been asked by his representation if he could tell Buzzfeed I don’t want my name in the article either so Mike can avoid getting “canceled”, I no longer think the apology was made in good faith.

Key events in his statement were left out that point to his actions being abusive, coercive, and intentional rather than a simple disagreement or misunderstanding.

The events Mike left out of his statement are as follows:

● I have a history of disordered eating and body dysmorphia and was triggered by seeing my full frontal nudity in the film. This is why I asked for the nudity to be cut. I shared this with Mike and was met with the quote from the article. I looked so hot so many guys wanted to F–k me, etc etc

● He suggested prior to shooting any footage I would have full right of refusal on nudity no questions asked

● Prior to shooting he suggested shooting it both ways, once nude, once in a tshirt, but on the day of shooting said there wasn’t enough time to do this and instead he’d shoot around the nudity so he could cut it together if I decided against it.

● While shooting the nudity however whenever I checked in to make sure he was getting enough non-nude coverage he responded by saying I would love the movie so much I would want the nudity in.

● The final clothed version that was shot after I saw the film was not a capitulation to me, it was what he suggested and what we both agreed to prior to filming the movie.

These are the really big ones he left out

● As retaliation for refusing to allow the nudity Mike scrapped a personal project of mine that he directed and shot. He told me that if he didn’t get his nudity, I wouldn’t get my footage. To this day I’ve never seen a single frame.

● In 2016 when I won Best Actress at the Texas Hill Country Film Festival, Mike refused to give me my award unless I agreed to go to the film’s premier and pose on the red carpet next to him.

These last two events are very important as they point to a clear desire to hurt me and abuse his power as a director to get me to do what he wanted. They were not mentioned at all by Mike and so I’d like to expand on it.

As filming for Dependant’s Day was wrapping up, I created, wrote, and produced a web series with two women who were great friends of mine. We needed a cinematographer and I approached Mike. Dependant’s Day had wrapped, but we hadn’t come to the question of nudity yet and so our relationship was still positive. He agreed on the condition he could also direct. My friends and I put a lot of time, creativity, and money into this project while Michael came and shot one day.

Soon after shooting the first episode of my web series I saw the first cut of Dependant’s Day in theaters and asked that the full frontal nudity be removed, per our agreement. I knew he’d be disappointed, but I thought as my friend he would understand the pain it caused me and would be supportive.

This wasn’t an actress changing her mind, it was a woman who’d spent years battling anorexia not wanting to spiral back into one of the darkest periods of her life. He very bluntly told me if he didn’t get his nudity I wouldn’t get my footage. If I took something from him he would take something from me.

That is not a disagreement, that is blackmail.

In 2016 he finished the film and began showing it in festivals. When I won Best Actress at the Texas Hill Country Film Festival I was excited. Despite the abuse I suffered at the hands of Michael David Lynch I was proud of the work I did in the film. I asked my managers to reach out to Mike and pick up the award for me. When they called he was belligerent on the phone with them and demanded that I come to the opening of the film’s limited theatrical release. He wanted me on the red carpet smiling for pictures next to him without ever having addressed his actions or apologized in any way. He told my representation that he would bring the award to the red carpet and only there would he release it to me.

That is not a disagreement, that is a pattern of abuse.

When my story first appeared in The Washington Post in 2018, a fellow castmate learned what Mike had done, spoke to him about it, and then asked Mike to give him the award so he could pass it along to me. I received the award and an apology from my cast mate who had no knowledge at the time of what had happened or had anything to do with the abuse. Yet, he understood the suffering Mike’s actions had caused. Not a word of apology from Mike then either.

This is not a disagreement, this is a man who despite being called out privately refused to apologize to me.

I believe people can get help for their harmful behavior, and I believe in the ability of people to change their harmful behavior. However I find it curious that Mike found the will to apologize only after he’d been publicly called out by the MTG community and his livelihood was being threatened.

I will not allow his representation to speak to Buzzfeed and tell them I don’t want to be in the article either so that Mike can clear his name. Despite Mike’s (dubious) apology these things happened and I will not erase them from public record. I can’t erase the effect these things have had on my mental health, friendships, and career and so I will not erase them for his comfort. If his youtube channel suffers because of his behavior, that’s on him. I did not ask for this information to resurface nor did I know that it was happening, but I applaud the Magic the Gathering community for wanting to hold him accountable. It is not cancel culture to be held accountable, they are consequences. Consequence is not cancelation. I suffered consequences because I said no to nudity when I had pre-negotiated that right. Friends of mine suffered consequences when footage was scrapped, and a project was destroyed.

Instead of allowing his representation to speak to Buzzfeed for me, I am making a statement in support of myself, and all of the other women out there who have experienced the kind of abusive behavior I went through in 2013,2014, again in 2016 and 2018 and finally today in 2022 at the hands of Michael David Lynch.

Given that Mike’s first reaction when this information resurfaced was to lash out at me on Twitter and he only apologized to me after his community rejected his statements. Given that after I accepted his rep asked if he could speak to Buzzfeed and tell them that I don’t want to be in the article either so Mike can have his name removed…Given that Mike’s statement still does not reflect the full scope of his abuse…Given all of these things I do not believe Mike is sincere in his apology or perhaps even fully understands the depth of harm he caused. Given all of this, I’m retracting my acceptance of his apology.

Mike, I do not forgive you.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

serefin99 posted:

Yeah, that event does kinda read weird to me, but I'm not LGBTQ so my opinion doesn't really matter much. If they're doing good and having fun with it, gently caress it, they could identify with Nazis for all I care (please do not identify with Nazis even if you are doing [legitimate] good for the world).

Uhm, about that...

quote:

Phyrexia has at its core a very gritty and mentally enticing philosophy. The ideas themselves are collectively called 'Phyresis', a phrase coined by Yawgmoth himself. This system is largely based upon the will to survive and the concept of controlled evolution. The key idea of the Phyrexians is comparable to social Darwinism; evolution by removal of all the foes of the favorable species, the Phyrexians. This is applied socially, by way of eugenics.

Yawgmoth acts as the director of this process. Eliminating all foes and striving for efficiency, no matter the cost is the goal of Phyrexia. This plan is, without a doubt, very effective; however, it is sentimentally hollow and void of 'human' characteristics. Yawgmoth and his Grand Evolution are without art, emotion, morals, and personal thought or freedom. In this, Phyrexia is the polar opposite of Dominaria, with its virtues and culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6LnVOV1SX8

(Also, I hope their event does gangbusters, and they raise a ton of money for this very worthy cause, even if I think their metaphor isn't the best thought out)

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Probably not a novel observation, but this guy and Hazezon Tamar are going to be best buds

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Really interesting write up on cEDH Marchesa 2022 tournament from the organizer

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1AwNjoY3o7NOCm6BGW9l_f0KHfB-1tYfKmdcqNP7JKl8/mobilebasic

Bits that stuck out to me are that he thinks Thoracle isn't a problem because it was only ~23% of all wins during the tournament, and that Krark takes way too long to resolve accurately, so any players had best think long and hard before bringing him to the next Marchesa event

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 1, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Heath posted:

You think? I didn't get the idea that anybody was all that excited about him

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

I think what he was trying to get at with some settings not working with the color pie is that wh40k as a setting is absolutely hosed and if you tried to fairly represent an overview of the setting most of the cards would have to be black.

Hell even with just commander precons I am extremely dubious that they'll be able to represent stuff properly.

LotR in contrast can fit the color pie just fine.

Yeah, 40k is a setting where I can see a lot of Elish Norn style white, Nahiri style Boros, and Ayli style Orzhov alongside the easy black, red, and Dimir, and maybe Tzeentch followers would be mono-blue or Simic? I'll be dipped if I can think of anything mono-green...

Then again, if we're going by the logic they used for the Street Fighter SL and the D&D dragons, Ultramarines will be blue, Blood Angels red, Dark Angels green, Space Wolves Azorius, White Scars white, Iron Hands black, Salamanders green...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Heath posted:

Etrata the Silencer is getting more viable with each set

A buddy of mine had an interesting-yet-lacking deck a couple years back built around subbing her out with ninjutsu after damage was dealt to avoid the "shuffle into deck" trigger, but it always ended up being too complicated and fragile for too little return.

More ways to add hit counters to creatures could certainly push it up into the "fun jank" category

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Weatherlight always gets me on the MTG financial situation. A sealed box is ~$3k, a full set is ~$400

It's the sort of weird situation that crops up in collectable markets, where the contents of the box doesn't matter, but instead it is the rarity of the intact and sealed box itself that leads to its value. There are ~500,000 copies of Weatherlight edition Gemstone Mines, Null Rod, etc. floating around (very bad rough estimate based on a print run of ~180 million and 167 different cards at 3 different rarities minus 25 years of wear and destruction). Because one could piece together a set from all the cards out there, a complete set is only worth so much. But, since there is a much more limited number of sealed packages out there, and these cannot be reassembled from loose cards... The sealed box could be a freak misprint and contain only copies of Benalish Infantry, and it wouldn't matter because it's never going to be opened.

Of course, given that the target audience for sealed boxes is weird guys like Rudy from Alpha Investments, the price is also artificially inflated given that very few boxes are actually sold. And as anyone who has tried to liquidate a collection that should be worth X on paper, but who can only get Y for for it due to the effort of finding buyers for each piece could tell you... Like, it's cute seeing him standing in an entire room full of Theros Beyond Death, but the odds that he'll ever be able to sell all 3,000+ boxes for "what they're worth" in a few years is ridiculous.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 22, 2022

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Isn’t there a website that turns tweet threads into a single thing

https://threadreaderapp.com

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1517557317713022976.html

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Heath posted:

One guy in my group has a Darien, King of Kjeldor deck and I kind of want to make a Varchild deck to oppose it purely for the flavor

This is my not very competitive Varchild build, which needs some updating

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/PZmjgwIWQUeZe6zVJ8YHeg

Basic plan is to fish for one of the infinite game ending combos (Dual-Caster/Twinflame or Helm/Combat Celebrant or Godo) while forcing goaded combat from your loaded up opponents.

If folks have too many tokens from you, flicker Varchild to steal them all back. And, if you can and the game is going on for too long, see if you can combo off Repercussions with Blasphemous Act, Star of Extinction, or an overloaded Mizzum Mortars to kill everyone

Very much a casual deck, as most cEDH folks will have ample sac outlets for the tokens you're handing out, and will benefit too much from the grouphug card draw, but for a laid back beer and peanuts type table, it's fun

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

You can only activate the bullies on the turn of the opponent you're giving a creature to, so no Sundial.

E:

I think it's beyond ridiculous to call playing a single card "potentially setting up a magical Christmas land," specially after taking the time to type out some multi-card gotcha play that doesn't even work because the Bullies don't work the way you thought they did.

Could even use it to just let your commander hit the bin and then cast it again from your hand without having to pay the commander tax.

Yeah, this doesn't see too crazy to set up.

You have in play: Beamtown Bullies, Royal Assassin, Seedborn Muse, and in graveyard: Leveler

Activate Bullies, give opponent Leveler, they lose their library. Leveler must attack due to goad, you kill Leveler in response with Assassin, so it doesn't get exiled and goes back to your graveyard. Rinse and Repeat when Seedborn untaps everything on next opponent's turn.

It's as vulnerable to interaction as any multi-card combo that relies on creatures is. Not as efficient as Oracle/Consult or Heliod/Ballista, but dumb/fun in that janky sort of way, like a Zurgo/Worldslayer lock

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

there is no way on Earth you’re donating someone a Leveler and getting back to your turn unmolested, and if you do, then you would have won that game regardless

Yeah, seems like it would fall into the sort of suboptimal but fun style that only works at that weird intersection of "we're playing mean but not cEDH" that Tergrid and Atraxa also fall into. Too brutal for battlecruiser with no interaction, but not fast and secure enough for hyper competitive.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Anyway, looking forward to sitting down for a commander game in the future and seeing my three opponents pull out a rapist from a zombie apocalypse, a genocidal space nazi, and a child from 1980s America.

That said, if I don't buy my partner the Bloodbowl Secret Lair, she'll probably kill me, so who can say if it's good or bad, really?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

To be fair, power and toughness are absolutely abstractions, and it's best not to get too invested in them meaning anything story-wise

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

You can't see it because of the detail level of the last panel, but the person with the squirrels has clearly activated their Alchemist's Refuge to flash in Underworld Breach using and, using Brain Freeze to fuel their graveyard along with a Lion's Eye Diamond for mana, cast Windsail eight times in response to Emrakul's Annihilator trigger to give their sixteen squirrels flying, and then used the rest of the LED mana to have Staff of Domination to activate and untap Ersatz Gnomes fifteen times to make the squirrels into non-colored creatures because they misread "Protection from Colored Spells" to mean "Protection from Colored Cards"

You might hate it, but this is what high level, pro tier Magic plays look like

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Toshimo posted:

I'm a fan of high power level, but 4-5 minute games isn't what I'm really here for.

I've linked these before, but I do think they're a good representation of the kind of "dark side" that an extremely competitive mindset can succumb to.

Here, we see an Inalla turn one win. This isn't a particularly difficult combo to set up via mulligan, and, while it requires a thorough mastery of the deck to achieve, it also really isn't any fun to play against. This is a deck for tournament play, where winning at all costs is the aim so one gets the prize. Without Force of Will or similar pitch spells, the game is over as it begins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec1dxkypVkc

That is a fine mindset to have if victory is the goal. One wants the stakes, so one pursues them to the utmost.

Similarly, though this is an Alpha Magic format game, this match between WotC founder Peter Adkinson and early Magic pro Brian Weissman is boring as hell by game three. Because of how finely tuned their decks are, the odds of a non-turn one win is close to zero. The game is determined by the rock/paper/scissors at the beginning of the match, and the actual play somewhat of a formality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96sukgjTZk4&t=217s

Again, this is appropriate for a game with money/cards/prestige/whatever on the line.

However, when a game is being played for no stakes, the mindset can be (not is, can be) different. Sometimes you don't want to execute a multistep turn one win, you instead want to play to see if you can make some dumb and unlikely win condition occur because it'll be fun to brag about the one time it worked. Sometimes you want to be the 90s Chicago Bulls, sometimes you want to be the Harlem Globetrotters.

I have no answers on how to resolve this beyond the usual conversations and social awareness. Very few people want to watch Shaq's Lakers destroy a high school JV team, but similarly, not everyone wants to just play teaching games where they hold back against their opponents to keep things "fair".

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Someone swift reconfigured my Atraxa and was like um okay and then proceeded to board wipe every turn until I got a couple of emblems and ended the game. People don't even seem to read their own cards.

This is going to be real fun in a month or two when Myrkul, Lord of Bones becomes available:

"Why yes, I'll happily make my Drannith Magistrate into an enchantment. No, you can't him him with Abrade now. He's an enchantment. Nope, Wrath of God isn't going to do it either. Are you packing Tranquility maybe? Really, not since Seventh edition?"

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

th3t00t posted:

I remember how Sheldon wrote about giving “studio x” design input about how they should stop making good cards (like golos, korvold, kenrith, Hullbreacher, dockside, etc.) or he’ll have to start banning more.

This is a problem I see happen sometimes at Wizards, where they'll try to "correct" a problem card by printing a weaker updated version, but instead of managing to correct the problem, they simply produce a dead card that no one will play in eternal formats.

The classic example would be Lightning Bolt vs Shock. Same cost, same color, same speed, yet Bolt does one more damage than Shock. This is fine in Standard, where Bolt rotated out years ago due to the understandable pressure of not wanting to make every useful creature 4 or higher toughness, but it does mean that in eternal formats like Commander, if you have the cash, you really ought to replace Shock with Bolt every time, unless you're playing with both. See also the meme of Colossal Dreadmaw vs Carnage Tyrant, where the exact same cost creature has better stats and more abilities on the rare version in the same set.

That's not an example using popular Commander cards, though, and from a while back. A better comparison for our purposes would be Gretchen Titchwillow from AFR. She's clearly designed as a "fixed" version of Thrasios, Triton Hero (same cost, essentially the same ability, comparable stats), and there's basically no competition between them. Thrasios is outright better because he has Partner. I can think of no reason to play Gretchen from an optimization standpoint, because there are vanishingly few times when scrying then revealing via Thrasios's ability wouldn't be better than paying colored mana to just draw with no scry but keeping the draw secret with Gretchen. If you can afford Thrasios, you'd play him 100% of the time over Gretchen.

That's the big problem: with eternal formats, you cannot correct past power level mistakes without bans. That horse is already out of the barn. All it does is punish players who can afford the 10 cents for Gretchen, but can't afford the $20 for Thrasios, and further the drive towards using proxies so that price is no longer an object. It produces sets with cards people don't want in favor of older, more powerful ones, and because it drives those prices up, it makes it very annoying to invested players if a card does get banned. I expect if we ever see a Dockside ban, for example, the folks who paid $80 for him will go through the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

kurona_bright posted:

I’m going to single out and pick on this example because it’s a bad one. Limited is a format that exists, and a 4GG 6/6 with trample is a perfectly reasonable card to have in multiples at a draft table, while a 4GG 7/6 with trample and more importantly _hexproof_ is not.

Sure, I agree, but limited is the kind of the exact opposite of eternal.