Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JackDarko posted:

Ziatora the Incinirator this is the first card that I was interested in, however, from what I understand 6 converted mana cost may be too high for a commander. Flinging damage seems like it could be really fun though especially if I do it with a dice roll.

Six is a reasonable cmc if you dedicate towards it. My brother's been playing Narset, Enlightened Master since 2014.

Black and Red are short term mana colors, and green has its ramp, so if you don't mind eating poo poo when Dark Ritual gets Miscast sometimes, it's attainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

Cowards were too scared to make Chandra x Nissa an OTP but they gave us Saheeli x Huatli.

Honestly better, imo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/rose0fthorns/status/1525702479442513920?s=21&t=1P4HzENBzFr0CDRmumhN7A

You could pour salt into my open eyes and it would hurt less than reading this

The card that confuses me the most is Mycosynth Lattice because it's really bad and doesn't do anything, and I can only guess why it's ended up there, because anything that'd enable shenanigans is already banned.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The fundamental flaw with all these arguments is that there are people who believe with unshakable certainty that the power level they like is the objectively correct one.

Thus, anything but immediately assimilating yourself, dehumanizing yourself and face to battlecruisers, is worthy of only scorn.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It scales directly with how many opponents you have. In a standard CLB draft of 4 players, you draw 3 cards while each opponent gets 1.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Magnetic North posted:

Besides, it's only half-shitpost. I truly, sincerely, honestly, from the bottom of my loving heart think every cEDH player would be a million billion times happier playing a format suited for what they actually want out of the game. Bonus: no more Sheldon.

Nah. I like my 8th card that is a dragon that gobbles up everything.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bust Rodd posted:

Another goon brought it up like a month ago and we talked them out out of it for a variety of reasons, but they’re basically the 5th choice Jund Dragon Commander

As a person who plays the 1st choice Jund dragon commander, don't crush a man's dreams. Let 'em fling!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Take one elixir of immortality and call in the morning.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Reprint Jeweled Lotus at common.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

I know the thread is generally really mild on 3CMC mana rocks, but what do you guys think about http://mythicspoiler.com/clb/cards/vexingpuzzlebox.html

Is the tutor ability just too slow?

I would only consider it if the commander is Vrondiss, who produces 5/4s on any die roll. Somewhat niche.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

Nobody runs any cards to prevent getting milled out?

Then you can't win with your own Thassa's Oracle.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

pseudanonymous posted:

People usually exile their deck they don’t mill it.

Not when you mill yourself with Brain Freeze to win with Thassa's Oracle!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Ghost Quarter and Field of Ruin replace the destroyed land with a basic to not disrupt mana curves. There's a huge difference between that Armageddon or recurring Strip Mine.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

I say this as someone who ran live events for years and definitely loving compensated my talent.

Have you ever considered just pocketing that money by exploiting your talent's need to produce engaging content?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The optimal four player layout is the alcatraz tower on kaibacorp island from yu gi oh with the seats that go up if the player loses life points.

This would also mean players who play massive life gain are buried deep in the earth where they loving belong.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Tainted Mire, that taps for B or B if you control a Swamp.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

I've been saying this for years

Consecrated X for white, Enlightened X for blue, Flourishing X for green and Rugged X for red, where X is the name of the land

Just use the Isle/Peak/Field/Grove names from the original cycle, and add Mire or Bog or something for black

Ex: Flourishing Peak - add C, add U or R if you control a mountain

The only part I don't like is Rugged Field would be really close to Rugged Prairie.

Rugged in general doesn't fit because it's a physical state while the rest are more abstract.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Wicker Picker makes every creature have sticker kicker, which helps Hallar, the Firefletcher and Verazol, the Split Current with one of their current problems (there's like seven good kicker cards).

I think it's funny that you don't even care about the stickers, it's all about kicking Llanowar Elves.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lame it's commander, he can't play 8post.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

syntaxfunction posted:

Going infinite is for cowards who need a safety net. Real players don't go infinite, and they stick to their plan, no matter how poorly thought out and ineffective it is.

Counterpoint: I need scientific notation to express the number of +1/+1 counters I am putting on my creatures.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm gonna make a Hazezon deck if I get his new card.

Lol at getting the old one. Maybe a proxy token.

I wouldn't bother with Tamar, because he exiles all sand warriors, even Shaper of Sand's, changelings, and warriors made sands with arcane adaption.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Flash had needed a ban for a long time for anything besides Flash Hulk to be viable. It was kind of stupid.

I don't think anyone expected that by the time Flash got it, THB would introduce two whole new avenues for instant wins in Thoracle and Breach.

Still, they're a lot easier to deal with than Flash Hulk ever was. Far far harder to do on turn 1, especially.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
There's a lot of ETBT lands with weird properties.

The MDFC spell/lands except for the mythics enter tapped, so Bala Ged Sanctuary and Glasspool Shore among others. The bridges ETBT. Every land with Cycling that adds colored mana also ETBT, which includes a full fourth of the deserts. Same with colored ebt life gain lands. The Depletion lands and the Fallen Empires sacrifice goobers, that add two colored mana for one land drop, also ETBT.

There's a lot of one-off lands like Hall of the Bandit Lord and Field of the Dead that ETBT but sometimes they're win conditions.

There are only four Island Mountains and Niv-Mizzet, Parun costs UUURRR. That one matters most to me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Reminds me of people brewing Raggadragga without looking up what a mana ability is.

Grand Warlord Radha does not have a mana ability.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MonsieurChoc posted:

Imagine how fun a Skaven deck would be.

It's just the giant rat who makes all of the rules for Rat Colony I have wanted since DOM.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Cradle isn't that good because it requires having creatures on board and something that can be cast with green mana. Very limiting factors.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Aphrodite posted:

I get what they were going for but looking like random stills from an episode is such a bizarre choice. It looks cheap.

Hasbro went cheap, they outsourced the cartoon like hell to the lowest bidder.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

Not true. Volta is a known good industry house and is used by plenty of big players: https://www.artstation.com/voltastudio

You may not like the direction Hasbro gave them, but they clearly did what the client wanted.

I meant the 1984 cartoon they're emulating is a cheap piece of poo poo that's barely acceptable at the best of times. They hired these pros to meticulously recreate the low budget style.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
They certainly captured the tone of the cartoon with Spundwave ruining a basketball court for no reason, at least.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

The real question is: How many of the cards are worth playing/being your Commander?

They really slow, as they try to accrue advantage through repeated converting, but most of them do it through attacking triggers, and Ratchet has a hard one per turn limit to prevent bottle gnomes infinite life loops.

If you really want too, Megatron or Flamewar are your best bets, I think.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I wish moxfield had a "stop jacking off" option for people who present decks with as many Japanese strixhaven archives and foils as possible.

Probably wake up every day mad Culling the Weak hasn't been reprinted.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ub zombies not having stitchers supplier should be tried as a war crime. Might as well make a starter product that doesn't have cards if they're not actually a starting point.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

Tawnos is gonna be the next time sieve goat, I'm calling it

I don't get this at all. Tivit makes five tokens at once, which fills an entire time sieve. Malcom makes three and is a partner and has other tricks besides. Tawnos makes One token at a time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

Someone smarter than either of us is gonna break the poo poo out of that card, just watch

If it does, it's through Hullbreaker Horror copies, but the 4 mana, tap, sac 2 tokens makes me really doubtful even that would work.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I wonder what the single card is that most differentiates a deck as being cEDH instead of a regular high power deck. It's probably Chrome Mox or Mox Diamond? Maybe one of the weirder interaction pieces but those are all color restricted.

Mana Crypt costs over $180 in paper and is an optimal choice for literally every deck, without exception. There's decks that can argue no chrome mox due to artifact count, decks without LED combos, and decks where Jeweled Lotus is mostly useless, but until someone invents the deck with no generic costs, Mana Crypt is in it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is Angel's Grace just not worth playing in cEDH to prevent someone from winning? It's uncounterable and only costs one mana. Is it just too narrow?

I have only ever seen it played to prevent one's own Ad Nauseum from being lethal so they can just yank up the whole deck.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

Been on a Play to Win kick lately and they had their own personal casual rules in a couple of videos:

No card over $100
No unconditional tutors under 3 mana
No mana positive rocks other than Sol Ring
No infinites
No instant-win combos you can tutor up
No free counterspells
No off-color fetches

They also played once against I Hate Your Deck (I imagine before both blowouts) and Joe brought a much stronger deck to what was supposed to be a casual game. You can hear both Dylan and Cameron be like, "Oh wow, I thought this was supposed to be casual..." Lol

I was thinking Magus Lucea Kane, untap effects, and Jaya's Immolating Inferno to make very large but finite kabooms.

Or Fascination or Drown in Dreams to mill everyone out, but it's 40 life vs. 93 cards.

Zaxara gets Exsanguinate but a less relevant trigger to X spells.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Actual infinites in Magic end the game, like making Caged Sun a land so it triggers itself, indefinitely.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Heath posted:

It's not the "expectations," it's just a deeply unfun way to play the game.

How do you play Magic, then? What sort of deck would you bring to a Standard fnm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The constant 8th card in my opening hand, my commander, offers a degree of consistency that other formats lack. No matter what I draw I always have Korvold, so no matter what I draw, it's dinner for the dragon. I can have completely different draws of the 99 and yet the result is a consistent deck because it's all focused on big yums for my big boy.