Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Grevlek posted:

So I've been running into a situation where I've been playing more 3 player games. Instead of 'playing down' with a deck I have, I'm thinking I should just build a deck to pull out if we're stuck with three players for an hour or so. Any thoughts on intentionally building a deck to avoid the gunslinger standoffs?

It would help if you would tell us more about the sort of decks and environment you're playing within. But generally speaking, you will want to build some kind of combo deck that once it puts its pieces in place the game just ends regardless of how many players are in the game, but also does so in a rather innocuous way so as to avoid being threatening and drawing fire. But this is never not true of commander, even with 4-players.

For this scenario though I highly recommend Tergrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Grevlek posted:

I'm thinking a go-wide strategy might be more fun for a 3 player game. That way I can hold stuff up for the crack-back. I have the Green/White precon from midnight hunt and I want to tinker with that for my tokens/go-wide deck.

Kykar spirit beats or Alelia faerie beats are both solid go-wide strategies that will do better in a 3 way, you can benefit from card draw effects like coastal piracy, or new and improved coastal piracy now with cycling, and you can run a solid control suite in either deck.

The nice thing about Kykar is you can hold up interaction and then instant speed blow the most threatening thing up on your predator's end step to get more spirits each turn.

There's plenty of solid faerie and spirit cards, or just stuff that buffs fliers like empyrean eagle. Alelia can run the full suite of "sacrifice a creature for draw" really successfully if you just jam a ton of mana rocks in there.

Also just mono-green or gruul stompy that ramps and drops top-tier mid-range creatures and then buffs them with something ought to do pretty well.

Also if you want to piss off that guy who spends more money than you, divergent kykar into Brisela will screw cEDH decks and have little to no impact on medium and below decks.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

imagine dungeons posted:

Hello thread!

I'm trying to put together this Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale deck and I would like some advice on the direction its headed, the direction it should be headed, and some advice on cutting it down and substitutions. It looks like the general theme of decks for this commander are pretty Voltron oriented so that seems like the main win condition. Phyrexian Crusader kind of seemed like a neat alternate win-con but its a little bit pricey. I will eventually add some of the spendier equipments if I end up liking the deck but for now I'd like to keep it under $200. My intention is for casual play but would like to be somewhat competitive if I walked into a LGS with it.

Its currently at 109 cards. I know I need to cut some creatures, artifacts, and also was wondering about how many board wipes would be a fit.

Would it be appropriate to cut a few of the Knights that are just Knight-based synergy Like Inspiring Veteran in favor of some that are more equipment oriented? I like the flavor of the Eldraine Adventure cards and kind of want to hang on to those.

Are Whispersilk Cloak and Lightning Greaves too redundant with each other? I'm also slightly concerned about the inconvenience of Shroud in an equipment deck as I would have to unequip them first.

I haven't given the mana too close of a look yet, just thrown in a rough idea of what I want.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/PFhn7IWxsUuaJviXIiSbEQ

Sword of the Animist and Sword of Hearth and Home are good. Sword of fire and ice is also one of the strong swords, but proxy it.

You have a lot of creatures, equip costs, and then creature abilities that cost mana. You're unlikely to be able to pay for all these things. You're also running a bunch of board wipes, and I can't really figure out why. I guess on the theory you can board wipe then recover better than opponents?

Personally, I think the interaction of Crusading Knight and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is too hilarious not to include in all knight decks.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Oh right I forgot I actually wrote an article about making a Ser Gwyn deck, it might be helpful:

https://www.goonhammer.com/commander-focus-syr-gwyn-the-night-rider/

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Is your plan to just magically draw exactly the dragons you need when you need them?

You have like no interaction. Little ramp, and a ton of lands.

Personally I run interaction so I don’t give a poo poo about worldgorger combo, most of the times it’s been played against me the player lost all his permanents.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Silhouette posted:

The familiars are really good and are ridiculously underplayed in edh for some reason

Kediss is really good, he's in a comp deck. You can also use him with infect to kill all your opponents at once with a one-punch deck, which I think is pretty funny.

The rest are ok. I thought it would be fun to make a deck with five color commanders matter using the friends forever with Eleven and Mike to play all the familiars. And maybe a bunch of the lieutenants too and all the "if you commander" and "commnaders you" and # of times you cast your commander cards.

But I woudln't say they are particularly good. Esior is nice in that you can get him out before an important commander and your commander comes out with Ward. Anara and Keleth are meh, Falthis you could use to give a pinger commander deathtouch which would be obnoxious, but I don't know if its "good".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Silhouette posted:

I meant the real Familiars, from Planeshift

Yes, I was in error. I'll fall on my Hanzo blade in shame in just a moment, once I finish this TPS report.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

More and better free repeatable sacrifice outlets are a good start for a deck like this. Carrion Feeder and Goblin Bombardment are a good start, Bloodflow Connoisseur not so much. My recommended adds are Ashnod's Altar, Yahenni Undying Partisan, and Viscera Seer. Phyrexian Altar is another great pickup but is pretty expensive.

You can also replace some of your mediocre draw spells and less effective creatures with cards like Deadly Dispute, Altar's Reap, Costly Plunder, etc. These do double duty of drawing you cards while also being instant speed sacrifice to protect a creature from getting exiled, bounced, etc. if you don't have one of your repeatable sac outlets online. As a bonus these are all cheap commons.

If you're going this route, please get a mayhem devil. Also you could consider using some cards like zulaport cutthroat and bastion of remembrance, meathook massacre, and other on-death triggers.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Jiro posted:

New era of I Hate Your Deck begins....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKYgAKhH2Ks

Also I'm curious as to the non cEDH crowd in this thread what people thought about a Command Zone ep that just came out yesterday. It's a long episode for Command Zone so I understand if people don't have the time to listen all the way through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rx3FNa5K4M

I generally agree that the format keeps going faster as far as new rocks that just stack with existing fast rocks making more ridiculous and janky "fun" commanders less viable since the game is ending way sooner.

Wizards should print white cards that are "Destroy target artifact, draw a card"
or even "WX - destroy up to x target artifacts, for each artifact destroyed, draw a card"

Especially as antiquities II or whatever is coming out.

or maybe a creature that is like t:W1 destroy draw who knows but something to benefit from blowing that stuff up.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is a really great list, thanks for putting it together!

This and the other finance talk gets me wondering: I know that the "bottom" edge of budget cEDH as far as the budget brews people are concerned is $500. Looking through a lot of lists, it'll often be that $200-300 is tied up in only 2-3 cards, and the rest are $1 or under. This is unavoidable in some cases, such as Ghave who simply doesn't work without Earthcraft, or Elsha, who goes off best with a Sensei's Divining Top, or any of the various decks that use blinking/recasting Dockside Extortionist to go infinite. It's a lesser form of those budgetless decks where $13,000 of the $14,000 is tied up in Timetwister.

So, my question is thus: is it possible to build a deck that could participate at the cEDH level wherein no card other than the commander costs more than $15?

(I mean, the answer is yes, and I've seen Urza, Edric, Yuriko, and Yisan lists at $50 budgets (sans commander) that run very well, and where adding in Mox Diamonds and fetch lands and such would be at best slight speed improvements, but what other builds can rush out cheap combos and/or don't rely on terribly expensive combo enablers?)

Anje madness worldgorger used to be really cheap, and still is cheap, you just don't run badlands or imperial seal.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

A big part of the problem is the RC seems to think the way to play edh is battlecruiser. And they just insist on it, and ignore all the evidence of how people really play edh and want to do with their decks.

In their version of edh you don't need dual lands because your deck does nothing on turns 1-3 and on turn 4 it drops your big ramp card or some wonky enchantment, prior to dropping 5+ cost creatures over and over so you turn them sideways.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

According to the RCA:

Turns 1-4: Set up some durdly poo poo. Do NOT ATTACK ANYONE, WHY AREN'T YOU UPHOLDING THE SOCIAL CONTRACT, OH MY GOD

Turns 5-??: Try to execute your game plan, but only if you 1) don't use tutors, and 2) you don't stop anyone else in any way from executing theirs.

Yes, but also don't do something cheap like dropping najeela and then playing one of the other cards that allows her to attack infinite times.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Style and silly interactions are great, but the RC only grudgingly acknowledging that some people play the game to win the game...

Each spell you cast costs 1 more for each spell cast by you this turn.

Each non-mana ability you activate cost 1 more for each non-mana ability activated by you this turn.

Ban Consult/Pact.

There you go, bringing sexy back, that's all the RC has to do to really make the format what they want. The problem is they don't want to actually issue rules that cause people to play the way they want, they just want to bully them into doing it with lovely blog posts and stuffing their ham hocks into their ears and ignoring how people play commander.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

These are the worst rule ideas I've ever seen, they're not actually being pushed by anyone, are they?

No, it was just a suggestion for how to force the game to be battlecruiser.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Unironically, someone explain to me why everyone is trying to pretend like Toxrill is A Thing.

They are bad. I've explained this before in the discord.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

Me, sitting at VTES nationals in 2006: "Yes. This is casual. Look at us, there are five players at the table. Casual as hell."

:psyduck:

Stealth/Bleed is always casual.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Prosper is pretty boss

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Speaking of Sakashima + Vial Smasher. Anyone got a good list?

What if sakashima was Malcom?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think Sheldon would violently poo poo himself at the table if he saw anyone pull out a Tergrid deck.

Suddenly it would turn out that many people have been contacting him about Tergrid and drastic action needs to be taken immediately, for months actually people have been saying things about Tergrid, and the RC has listened.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

companions should just count against your 100 cards same way commanders and particularly partner commanders work

they're already bending things with companions not technically being in the sideboard just for edh i don't get why they just let you also run 101 cards on top of that

That is how they work.

Partners + companion + gitaxian probe = 96 card deck.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Heath posted:

Companions explicitly do not count toward your card total.

Oh weird that’s not what’s in my memories for how they dealt with it. It’s kind of irrelevant because of how much a handicap each one is.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Framboise posted:

I love how people called this deck a meme for so long and it turns out it's actually that good. Can't wait to build it later on. :allears:

Math is powerful

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Have you actually had the misfortune of playing against it? I would take ultimate 4-man stax hell over watching someone use their phone to figure it their deck works for 20 minutes every loving turn. Even the most skilled Krarka-shima pilots will start off every game with an apology because it’s seriously the most annoying deck to pilot or play against. It’s my Tergrid, I won’t even sit at the table if someone’s playing Thumbs.

Get a coin flipping app and use dry erase tokens cards.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Dizz posted:

Can I use Dimir Aqueduct to target a land that i can then tap and sacrifice to use it's effect like evolving wilds without some sort of weird interference? I'm not sure if it going into my hand is a requirement or just having it as a target.

Example: Dimir Aqueduct > Evolving Wilds, tap Wilds and sac it to find a land to put into play.

The effect of all these bouncelands is "return a land you control to it's owners hand". It doesn't target anything. When the triggered ability resolves on the stack, if you control a land, you must return a land to it's owners hand. The only ways offhand to get out of it would be to use something that ends the turn, or something that counters a trigger, or something that prevents triggers from occurring, like if there was a strict proctor in play.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This has definitely been my experience as well.

Like, I remember being excited seeing an Inalla deck on the cedh database, because she's been one of my favorite commanders ever since I started playing. But then reading the primer, with this, like, 17 step very specifically ordered chain of cards, I was immediately like "Nah, not going to rebuild her to this list, I don't want to memorize that many steps when I'm just playing for fun"

Someone set up a script that does it for you you can like have the website loaded on your phone if you want. I don't remember what the URL is though.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Danke schön.

I was a little excited when Inalla was mentioned and then a little disappointed it was just a Thoracle deck.

80-90% of cEDH decks are Thoracle decks. A lot of the ones that aren't aren't in the top tier either, it's too good of a wincon.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

His old man brain got confused and thought Rin and Seri's ability was an ETB trigger, so he thought it was super smart sounding to say you can order the triggers so your changeling eats the summoning sick token that gets created instead of having to eat a creature that might otherwise be able to attack.

E:

It's super dumb, because since the Rin and Seri trigger is on cast, there's no 4D chess you have to play in order to realize you can champion the summoning sick token.

E2:

Hounds were erratad to Dog. Does that help?

This can't be right, Bust Rodd assures us that Judges are good at magic, and that Sheldon in particular knows what's going on and is good at managing the format, he can't possibly be a clueless twat who doesn't understand basic things like "cast" vs "enters"; who is just mindlessly exploiting his lucky position.

Also here's an article on building a Rin and Seri deck (that's 18 months old so YMMV) https://www.goonhammer.com/rin-and-seri-seperable-from-my-money/

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Heath posted:

You have the option to leave the commander in exile "under" the Grasp so that it will come back. But you cannot then cast it from the command zone. It's in one zone or the other.

Edit: incidentally this is why I think Suspend is such underrated removal in Commander. If they choose to leave their commander exiled in suspense, they'll get it back for free, but you get a guaranteed two turns where it is out of commission. If they redirect, they have to pay the tax. Sometimes you just need it to be out of the way for a second. Not bad for one Mana.

You can suspend your own dockside as well which can be nice. Or other strong etbs but mostly dockside

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Heath posted:

The Internet seems to agree with the above but I feel like it is worded stupid. It's very much an edge case in any situation. If I was playing Norin and someone stifled him I'd probably just scoop and tell them to kiss my rear end tbh

The oracle version is clearer:

When a player casts a spell or a creature attacks, exile Norin the Wary. Return it to the battlefield under its owner’s control at the beginning of the next end step.

But “at the beginning of…” is pretty much always a trigger that occurs then. It is wonky to create a trigger which creates a trigger.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

Besides all the price inflation and lack of reprints and premium product releases (which is obviously gonna raise prices), people aren't going to in person events nearly as much during pandemic time, so there's way less trading. Cards get opened up, then sold online, and then leave the "marketplace" instead of being traded or sold to stores/dealers, which is probably the bigger element of price inflation.

There's also the MTG finance crew who are trying to treat cards like appreciating assets, which is leading to people buying cards to hold them for the price increases. I wonder if they are at all interested in these flower bulbs I happen to have.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Dizz posted:

To be fair all the claims come from the Professor's mouth himself. He claims that WOTC won't send him any more promotional things due to past criticisms of their products, including some employees complaining to him about things he's said about things, which i think was about how poor their card production used to be and how cards either used to be printed really dark and ugly, or foils being severely curled.

Honestly though I doubt he's bullshitting.

WotC has a history of punishing any one who isn’t a wholehearted cheerleader.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Rythe posted:

Looks like we have a actual shrine commander coming in the new set, the deck will always be casual fun but what kind of win con would the deck look for with 5 colors?

Obviously using all the shrines and every copy enchantment effect would be just silly fun too.

Copying legendaries is not impossible but will make the deck quite clunky, and vulnerable.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Rythe posted:

According to Mark Rosewater's recent tweet it is a enchantment subtype and not a creature type.

Still looks like you can still use a creature tutor for some of the new ones?

Yes and since the go-Shintai of life’s origin can reanimate you can use gamble and entomb and buried alive as well as mill effects.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Rythe posted:

Besides trying to abuse stuff like Paradox Haze what's the win cons on something like shrines? A variation on enchantment matters decks I would assume.

Basically enchantment matters. You could deal some damage from them or turn them into creatures and recur them repeatedly, use bastion/ grim guardian/ meathook massacre and other aristocrat effects or just turn them into creatures with opalescence or use parallax to create infinite etbs.

I’ve been planning to make a shrine deck when kamigawa:cyberpunk 2022 came out so I’ll post the article link when I finish it,

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

th3t00t posted:

Still seems to me that wotc intended for shrine to be the creature type without thinking it through and didn't realize the consequences in time to fix it.

So now they are doing this lazy errata through Maro's twitter.

Would shrine being the creature type even break shrines? I kinda doubt it

It would let you run changelings to get your shrine numbers up.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

You could also do things like band a benalish hero with a white knight and then assign the black combat damage all to the white knight.

Or all to a creature with regeneration, it was a lot stronger then, virtually every creature printed before revised is unplayably bad by todays standards except like mana dorks and a few weird things like hypnotic specter.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Gynovore posted:

I always thought those filter lands were terribad, anyone else?

I think the more flexible ones can be okay, certain decks need a lot of colored mana, but the colorless to two different colored ones I don't see a lot of use for. Maybe if there's some reason you're desperate to run a lot of lands that generate colorless mana but not colored also.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Once again, I think we’re all sort of making up an imaginary Magic the Gathering player who will sit down for a friendly game of commander, see an original Terese Nielsen Force of Will, and then pitch a poo poo fit about you using cards by problematic artists. All of this hemming and hawing over expensive designer playmats and art prints and so on is coming from a good place of not wanting to support bad people, but in actuality you’re kind of creating an alternate reality where playing a game of commander with a Seb McKinnon playmat somehow means you endorse his anti-vaxx/bodily autonomy viewpoints and that’s JUST NOT IT loving WORKS, any more than using my original Force of Will in my deck makes me a CHUD or a transphobe.

You’re creating an imaginary MtG player who is some fragile woke Tumblr person that can’t even LOOK at a thumbnail sized painting of a spooky wizard man or mystical lake ghost without being triggered by that image into… remembering that the person who painted that thing is stupid? What?

It’s like going to a party and and hearing a song by The Beatles or David Bowie come on over the speakers and instantly assuming that the host beats his wife or fucks kids, it’s completely insane to make that assessment and is more or less totally performative.

If YOU PERSONALLY can’t look at Force of Will or Damnation without thinking of those people and their bad ideas and it instantly bums you out, feel free to swap them around. But I am literally begging you not to make up an imaginary victim in your mind and create a fantasy scenario where they are about to feint from your rude art cards and you heroically swap them out for Rebecca Guay basics.

For once I agree with Rodd, handwringing about an artists views on a magic card or a playmat is performative liberal bullshit.

Don't give a CHUD artist money, don't buy future products from them, but if you bought something in the past worrying about card art seems pretty meaningless, especially when you rush out to consume something else, ultimately supporting the same lovely capitalist structure that enables gross people like that.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Toshimo posted:

What are you casting with her?

Nexus of fate. If I can figure out a way to get it into my yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Elysiume posted:

What's the best way to sell high-value cards these days? I have an old judge promo Yawgmoth's Will and don't play nearly enough these days to justify holding onto an $800+ card.

Make an NFT of it and sell that.