Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bust Rodd posted:

Riku of Two Reflections is also just, like… a 5 mana commander that asks you to cast another spell and spend even more mana before he does anything. I’m not sure what volume of ramp and card draw you would need for Riku to stay relevant when he essentially needs a fully developed board position to even really start to function. He was very powerful 10 years ago when there were only 4 Temur legends in the entire game, but the format has fully eclipsed 5 mana commanders that don’t do anything. There are probably out-of-the-box commander precons that could comfortably race a tuned Riku deck at this point.

Yeah. I ran Riku like 10+ years ago. If you untap with him you win, but even back then 5 mana was too much for a dude that does nothing right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is a really great list, thanks for putting it together!

This and the other finance talk gets me wondering: I know that the "bottom" edge of budget cEDH as far as the budget brews people are concerned is $500. Looking through a lot of lists, it'll often be that $200-300 is tied up in only 2-3 cards, and the rest are $1 or under. This is unavoidable in some cases, such as Ghave who simply doesn't work without Earthcraft, or Elsha, who goes off best with a Sensei's Divining Top, or any of the various decks that use blinking/recasting Dockside Extortionist to go infinite. It's a lesser form of those budgetless decks where $13,000 of the $14,000 is tied up in Timetwister.

So, my question is thus: is it possible to build a deck that could participate at the cEDH level wherein no card other than the commander costs more than $15?

(I mean, the answer is yes, and I've seen Urza, Edric, Yuriko, and Yisan lists at $50 budgets (sans commander) that run very well, and where adding in Mox Diamonds and fetch lands and such would be at best slight speed improvements, but what other builds can rush out cheap combos and/or don't rely on terribly expensive combo enablers?)

There's a Mikaeus the Unhallowed deck that can supposedly be made for $20, I'll try to dig it up. The idea is to use Mikaeus + Triskelion to blow away everyone.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bust Rodd posted:

Shivam’s response is the kind of poo poo that makes me want to pull my hair out tbh

Yeah this. "Casual" means "I have a set of rules in my head about what behaviors and cards are acceptable, and I won't tell you what they are, but if you break the rules I will ball up my tiny fists and emit a high-pitched squeal, all the while implying that it's your fault."

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Railing Kill posted:

Me, sitting at VTES nationals in 2006: "Yes. This is casual. Look at us, there are five players at the table. Casual as hell."

The big difference here is that VTES was designed from the ground up with multiplayer in mind. There's no bullshit about pretending be the least threat at the table until you can bust out your combo.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Railing Kill posted:

There absolutely is. You sit and bide your time and plan/wait for an opportune time to strike. In the meantime, you try to manipulate the rest of the table into doing your dirty work for you. There's way more of that in VTES than EDH because of the pace of the game. The players that jumps out first usually gets hammered. It's a multiplayer game so there's going to be table politics. My point is that the Shivam tweet that literally said EDH is casual because it is multiplayer is utter horseshit. It doesn't matter what game it is, my joke about competitive VTES notwithstanding.

I'm not sure how it is at the competitive level but that totally wasn't the case when I was playing. People pretty much just pounded on their prey and tried to survive.

I remember pulling off a combo once that got me something like 20 pool and everyone else just went 'eh'.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Infinite Karma posted:

But also it's a nearly $100 card that's been out of print for... 29 years?

Motherdouchebag, Gate to Phyrexia was a trash card back in the day, I had piles of them.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I always thought those filter lands were terribad, anyone else?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

This is cool but also very weird. Why the hell did they use compleation as a metaphor for transitioning? Compleation is FORCED upon people.

EDIT: also, IIRC, the majority of Phyrexians have no gender at all. Seriously they could not have picked a worse metaphor.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 25, 2022

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LachlanJ posted:

I'm taking a shot at building a Greasefang vehicles/reanimator deck. Does anyone have any insight into what the ratio of vehicles to critters should be? I've got around 20 relatively low-powered creatures, with plenty of ways to recur them and cheat them into play, and 15 vehicles.

Looking at Scryfall, the only high-impact vehicles with crew 4 or less seem to be Parhelion, Weatherlight, and Skysovereign. There's half a dozen more that are fat but don't do much else.

EDIT: Also Surgehacker Mech is decent.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 27, 2022

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

fadam posted:

Top 16 decklists for Marchesa:
1. @Koibito - https://www.moxfield.com/decks/8S1pM1DF5Eao_yXJKqnvHQ

This deck here made me pee my pants laughing. Why? Because of this card:

Is this a bomb? No. Is this a good card? No. It's terrible. It's one of the worst cards ever. Dwarven Trader is worse than Mons Goblin Raiders, which is worse than another card in the very same set, Goblin Balloon Brigade.

And yet this card was played in a famous deck: Jay Schneider's Sligh Deck. Now, over 25 years later, Dwarven Trader gets pulled out of the bulk common box and finds a place in another winning deck.

Magic is kinda weird sometimes.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

pseudanonymous posted:

A bunch of Baldur's gate cards leaked, looks like there's "initiative" which sounds a lot like "the edge" and more dungeons.

https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-set/commander-legends-battle-for-baldurs-gate/

Or maybe they're fake who knows.

No Golden Pantaloons? Clearly fake.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

You have Abundance, but no Sylvan Library?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Toshimo posted:

I just chalked that up to Sylvan not being on Arena (because it started as a Brawl deck) and also it being 50bux.

How can Sylvan be $50? It's been reprinted like 83 times.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Anyone have a good list of budget reanimation targets? Like, under ten bucks, I'm black /green /white /blue
But especially black

If you're on a budget, you might want to consider going less than four colors.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Silhouette posted:

The cost for playing 4+ color goodstuff is everyone else thinking that you're a boring rear end in a top hat (and they're right!!!!)

Back on MTGO I put Ruination into every commander deck, even mutilcolored ones, just cuz it hits the rich kids twice as hard.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

pseudanonymous posted:

. I played with a V:tES playgroup for a while that was almost totally toxic because if you didn't let Stu do his thing, he'd just cry and whine and complain

Lemme guess, a political deck but he burst into tears whenever a guy calling a vote got intercepted?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah. I've come around on most of what Toshimo says about EDH, but this take just shows how much he doesn't know about VTES. If anything, that game has less of a kingmaking problem than EDH. Any multiplayer game is going to run into that from time to time, but VTES has so many more tools players can use to balance the table while working toward one's own VPs/wins. Interaction is the most basic way to influence/derail runaway players in EDH, and VTES has so much more of that by the nature of its rules, to say nothing of the built-in opportunity interaction/removal of many of the game's most powerful cards. The predator/prey dynamic, working toward Victory Points, and the game's time limit all disincentivize kingmaking. That doesn't mean it never happens, but it happens way less often than it does in EDH (unless you're playing with suckers, I guess).

Toshimo is a good poster and most of the folks ITT can learn from his good, if blunt, takes on EDH deckbuilding. But... just stick to EDH, my dude.

Yeah, this 100%.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Magnetic North posted:

That's why you need Forgotten Labyrinth. :buddy: Gilbert Duane and his squirt gun say this vote is going to happen.

I used Form of Mist superior. :getin:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They explicitly do not let you do this

Also the stickers use Post-It-Notes type glue. It comes right off.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LibrarianCroaker posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/dominaria-united-commander-decklists-2022-08-19

precon decklists are out. not sure if what all the new cards do has been revealed yet.

I can't wait to see "The Reaver Cleaver".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Eh. It triggers when it attacks, but it's a 2/2 with no evasion?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

cosmicjim posted:

He took the Aesi precon and Omnath precons and mashed them together. He uses Omnath as the commander. He struggles to get Omnath out every game and can almost never play at least three lands on a turn. I don’t even really know what all is in it because he plays so few cards every game.

Jumpstart Commander?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I ought to mention that some people on Reddit have found fraudulent charges on their cards after using MCP. Use Paypal or a prepaid card.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

If this was legal, would you play it?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Huh?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Heath posted:

One of those cards is legal and the other isn't. Why? Because Wizards was probably halfway through printing cards when some dipshit in a suit waddled in shaking their fist about how we need to make some of these cards legal in legacy formats so we can sell more of this set

:argh: For realsies?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

My original question was, if we lived in a parallel universe where this card was not an acorn card, but was in fact Commander legal, would you play it?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Johnny Truant posted:

I mentioned it in the discord, and it may just be incidental, but I placed my last MPC order approximately a week ago and then a few days later received a phishing invoice in my PayPal to the tube of $479.

Just another warning to not use a direct CC and just to be careful, even with PayPal!

I tried using a prepaid Visa CC, but they wouldn't accept it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Magnetic North posted:

It's weird, I never heard a Netrunner player talking about this. I wonder if it's something specific about custom proxies, as opposed to created products that are presumably less grey area? Or just a coincidence?

It's MPC. The consensus on Reddit is that the problem is not dishonest site owners, but either lovely site security, or a lovely third party CC processor.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Robviously posted:

It's a 3 mana colorless proliferate that gives you 1/3 colored mana every turn after the first that it shows up. This is not a weak card even with it coming into play tapped.

I'd totally play it in a superfriends deck.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

orangelex44 posted:

Five minutes before start, and a couple people show. They're brothers, and perhaps one of them is older than ten but I'm not sure. Their mom drops them off, pays the cover, then leaves.

if he'd been 12 or even 10 I'd be better able to interact and support what he was doing, but for me 7 is simply too young for me to really interface with as a person y'know?

I'm not an expert on kids but 7 seems waaaaaay too young to play magic at all, let alone being able to handle the dynamics of 4 player Commander. This feels like Mommy paying $10 for a few hours of babysitting.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MissMarple posted:

Both my kids started around 7 - but their early decks were pretty much just Turn Sideways jobs like Nikya with a bunch of Trampley Hasty fatties. They both knew enough from boardgames in general to know how to threaten and deal so they could get immunity in exchange for attacking others. But yeah, I certainly wouldn't leave them alone even if I trusted the store.

At the LGS I used to go, one dude would bring his son every so often, who was somewhere between 7 and 10 I guess. He could play Magic, Jyhad and L5R competently, albeit with rather simple decks. However, he would literally cry when things got stressful, which was... reeeeeeeeal awkward.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Khanstant posted:

Would there be a way to sacrifice or otherwise remove the Battle someone cast on you or chose you to defend with cards we already have? I can't think of a specific card off the top but anything that just specified permanent or no land permanent should be able to interact.

It's a totally new card type, so it only interacts with cards that say "permanent".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Yeah I'm sure it's a joke. I chose this deck at random: https://archidekt.com/decks/4271862

It looks to me like a very solid deck, but it only got a 7/10. "Needs more Commander synergy."

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The deck is titled "Call for Backup"... and it has five creature with Backup. And only one (Mirror Style Master) has an ability that can really impact the game, and it's tied to a six mana card.

Seriously it's like some intern punched "RGW +1/+1 counters" into Gatherer, hoovered in 34 random creatures, added an StP so there would be some reason to buy it, then went back to huffing glue.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

It looks like the entire point of this deck is to have Taniwha and Vedelken Orrery, then during your upkeep, float mana and play Sunder after your lands phase out?

Don't build your entire deck around one combo.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Regardless of whether you're using proxies or not, if one guy is using a deck that would cost $5000 if it were real and the other guy's deck costs $50, the other guy probably will not be having much fun.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Yep, a copy of a Commander is not a Commander, regardless of how it was copied.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I'm looking at the Food and Fellowship deck. Do the timing rules allow you to eat Sam's food token in time to get Frodo's lifegain bonus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Yeah this. I disagreed with about 75% of his 'decisions', but he still seemed like a decent guy.