Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, I've been trying to spruce up a couple old commander decks to play casually at my LGS. 2 of my most complete decks right now are Scion of the Ur-Dragon, and... Brion Stoutarm.

Scion is a pretty linear deck, since you're constantly tutoring dragons into the graveyard, so I want to make sure its not going to be too un-fun to play against. I'm also kinda keeping it budget so the manabase is awful. I have a few shock lands and a triome or 2, a couple random fetch lands, and a lot of the nonbasic lands come into play tapped. The mana rocks are mostly guild signets from OG ravnica and sol ring. Ancient Copper Dragon is 50 goddamn dollars. My deck doesn't have any combo stuff really.

Currently, my dragon toolkit includes the OG kamigawa dragons that do fun things when they die
Utvara Hellkite - currently the only thing that makes dragon tokens so I need this early and need it to not die
Balefire Dragon - boardwipe
Quicksilver Dragon - Don't touch my commander please
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund - in case anyone else has dragons (how dare they) also giving everything I mass-reanimate haste
Numot, The devastator - looking to replace him because people get weird about land destruction, but considering he can only do 2 a turn, I'd mostly want to deal with utility lands or man lands
Dragon Tyrant - Double strike, can kill people.
Dromar, the Banisher - selective boardwipe, kinda eh on him.
Atarka, World Render - Double strike, but for everyone!
Dragonlord Ojutai - hexproof for my commander
Bladewing the Risen - reanimate. Currently no combo or anything with him.
Scourge of Kher Ridges - selective boardwipe
Steel Hellkite - extremely selective boardwipe
Teneb, the Harvester - reanimation
Hellkite Overlord - he big
Hellkite Charger - need a savage ventmaw or khamal's will or something to go infinite.

Other than dragons, I have a bunch of ramp/fixing, some utility like Mirari's Wake, Temur Ascendancy, Fires of Yavimaya, Lightning Greaves, 9 reanimation spells, and a bunch of boardwipes and targeted removal. I kinda want to throw some hexproof in there, like Heroic Intervention, and some countermagic, like 1 counterspell and 1 negate at least.

I know there's room for improvement, but I don't want to improve it too much, and I'm not gonna add like, $50 or even $30 cards unless I already have them. If I was gonna buy some more cards for this, I'd maybe want Ancient Silver Dragon (kinda expensive, but good enough that I might), Miirym, Lathliss, . I'm also wondering if I should add something like Worldgorger Dragon combo or something or if that would be too powerful (for reference I have no idea how people determine power levels for edh decks). I'll also work on getting my current list posted online so I can link to it.

But mostly just looking for advice on what stuff to avoid ( is too powerful/unfun) when I'm playing with people I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, I was browsing through some cards for a mono-black zombies commander deck, and why the gently caress is Liliana of the Dark Realms $12 and not $0.12?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Silhouette posted:

She's a land tutor in mono black and her ultimate turns your lands into lake of the dead

She's not that good at it though, is she? She's a 4-drop that fetches a swamp, and maybe lives to do it again

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Shes not, people just want that card for some reason

ohhhhh, I get it, its for horny reasons. Just like Karlach

Edit: In other news, apparently I have a Lake of the Dead also! This zombie deck is gonna be fun, I'm just going to win by swinging with piles of tokens. And I guess make tons of mana. So far I have a Lake of the Dead, Cabal Coffers, Urborg, fake Cabal Coffers that only works for basics, Nykthos, and Crypt of Agadeem.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 30, 2023

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just finished putting together this Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck. I tried not to go too crazy, I don't wanna be the archenemy every game and put infinite combos in. The most I have is Savage Ventmaw and Hellkite Charger for X 1-mana combat phases.

https://archidekt.com/decks/5367545/scion_of_the_urdragon

Any suggestions? Maybe things I should take out to be more casual?

Edit: I know the mana base is hot garbage, I just threw whatever lands weren't currently in other decks and filled in the gaps with tap lands

A Moose fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 12, 2023

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

Shows up as "Page Not Found" for me? Are the permissions set right?

I'm getting to play with my brother again this week. Rambling, boring story ahead: He's more casual than I am, plays a lot of green landfall stuff. Phylath deck, Omnath deck, that kind of thing. The last time we sat down for commander I was running my Azorius Artifacts build and another player was considering who to target for Bribery, and was wondering aloud if his green deck would have a Bane of Progress. He was a little distracted and I answered for him, "He doesn't know." The others thought this was a grave insult but he just slaps together whatever's in his collection and knowing things by name is a bit of a stretch. Ended up pulling a Silverback Elder from his deck anyway.

Oh, didn't realize it defaulted to private. Should be good now

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I'm pretty new to EDH, but why is that rule in place?

to move the game along mostly.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

one time at my old LGS, we made an unhinged version of planechase, where we made a map of planes. Like when you went to a new plane, you just put it next to the one you are on, and if you have multiple planes touching the one you're on, you get to choose which one you go to. You had people working together to get on a certain plane, and some people doing anything to keep those 2 guys off that plane

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm trying to make a commander deck work for my favorite bad commander, Brion Stoutarm. Trying to win with Fling, but the deck kinda developed an equipment subtheme, since I want stuff like swiftfoot boots, lightning greaves, sunforger, commander's plate, darksteel plate, champion's helm and helm of the host. Then I added a couple of equipment tutors (stonehewer, taj-nar swordsmith, steelshaper's gift), and then a batterskull and skullclamp. My latest addition is Lion Sash, since it can get big, attach to things to make them big, and also randomly hose GY strategies

Since I have Helm of the Host, I added Godo and Aurelia for infinite combat phases (as long as nobody can block)

For wincons I have Serra Avatar, to just smack someone with my life total. I also have Phyrexian Processor and Moltensteel Dragon to smack people for huge amounts of damage. Gratuitous Violence to double damage, to make sure I can kill people, rings of brighthearth for the same reason, and finally, Prophecy all-star, Keldon Battlewagon. Can tap my creatures to buff its power, then tap itself to double its own power, then fling. Then there's also filler like Hamletback Goliath and War Elemental to fling.

Other subthemes
- reanimation. Feldon, Emeria, Emeria Shepherd, Adakar Valkyrie, sun titan - lets me throw things multiple times
-stealing: Molten Primordial, Zealous Conscripts, Grab the Reins, Insurrection. - lets me throw the biggest creature on the board
- lifegain - Well of Lost Dreams, Cradle of Vitality. Commander's lifelink is basically my main source of lifegain. and I guess batterskull
- ramp - this poo poo is expensive. Random mana rocks, Land Tax, burnished hart, weathered wayfarer.
- card draw - lmao almost nothing. Skullclamp, Solemn Simulacrum, loreseeker's stone
- board wipes - wrath of god, akroma's wrath, austere command, hallowed burial
- utility - Sunforger (can hit stuff like master warcraft, grab the reins, swords, path, orim's thunder, gods willing, return to dust) Blood Moon (because gently caress em) Mother of Runes

I know the deck needs more card draw, but I'm in boros so what's even good and not super expensive? And I think probably needs Sneak Attack There's so many things to get out, enchantments, equipment etc before my commander really comes online. My commander probably isn't going to survive a turn without being hexproof and indestructible either. I also think I could probably find better stuff for Sunforger to tutor.

I've also been thinking about if I have enough of an equipment theme to just put in Puresteel Paladin, Forge Anew, Sigarda's Aid, Colossus Hammer, and stoneforge mystic, Ardenn etc. Then I could also include the Kaldra equipments and make Kaldra tokens to throw. But that's just a different version of the deck, and less about doming someone for a comically large amount of damage with my commander.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm sure there's something I'm missing to cheat stuff into play, or make a REALLY big creature. Mostly I feel like I don't have enough for the deck's main theme of flinging. I could probably cut some removal and a board wipe for some more card draw. I also think the ramp could use an update, White has better ways to get lands into play now. I think I also have a sword of the animist I should throw in.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

You can peep at The Professor's Brion Stoutarm list and see if anything stands out to you:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/pgNv78QOP0e_bgc6dydoGw

Thanks for the heads up! oh wow, there's a bunch of stuff I overlooked, or is new. I didn't realize they made another version of Serra Avatar that you can actually reanimate! Malignus is spicy too. Deflecting Palm and Boros Charm are also pretty great cards that I can even tutor for with Sunforger. Mimic Vat also does some fun things as well. On the ramp side, that's pretty close to what I'm currently running.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah I had someone complain about me playing Scion of the Ur-Dragon because tutoring and reanimation (I had already told everyone I'm not running Skithiryx or any infinites), and every time I played a dragon they would whine about how im the threat and my commander is OP... and then proceed to win with a Deadeye Navigator combo.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

What do people think about Celestial Dawn as fixing in decks that have a significant amount of white mana? It turns off abilities from non-basic lands, but synergizes with anything that cares about the number of plains you have, and lets you play cards that have multiple other color mana symbols. Like Playing War Elemental or Gratuitous Violence in a boros deck.

It used to be really funny to donate to someone not playing white, but apparently that rule got changed with oath of the gatewatch, so now that doesn't work anymore.

Edit: got a win with my brion stoutarm deck, got the miracle hand of turn 1 land, mana vault, sol ring, arcane signet, turn 2 land, turn 3 Godo, fetching helm of the host, turn 4 kill everyone else. My deck isn't supposed to do that, but we take those!

A Moose fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 22, 2023

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think I like the idea of an equipment commander deck, but who are good commanders for it, and what does winning with one usually look like? Like throwing 1000 equipments on 1 guy and attacking 1 person at a time with combat damage seems slow and easy to disrupt. Is mono-white viable or do we need red for damage doubling/tripling as well as various Nahris?

I feel like Sram would be a good commander, but probably draw hate like crazy, and probably goes in a super fast competitive deck, and I wanna do dumb poo poo like tutoring all 3 Kaldra pieces.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

TotalHell posted:

So I’m curious, how many decks do people have that starts as a concept WITHOUT a commander, vs the number of decks that started with the Commander and built from there?

I ask because I assume like 90%+ of decks start with the Commander. That’s certainly true of my decks. But now I have three decks that started as concepts, and for which I determined a Commander as part of the building process: Demon Typal, Jeskai Dice-Rolling, and Gruff Octuplets.

So I’m wondering how many others do this and build some decks without having the commander in mind at the start.

I've done both, either I just look through commanders that I have and build around them like my Scion of the Ur-Dragon or Brion Stoutarm decks, or I have a concept that I want to make, and then try to find a commander for them. Like I have a bunch of enchantment synergy stuff, so I looked into making an enchantment deck. Or I want to make a huge but non-infinite number of 2/2 zombie tokens, but I don't have Gisa yet. So I threw all my zombie tokens stuff and just grabbed Erebos because I needed a mono black commander.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Valentin posted:

what are some funny big sorceries or instants to copy in U/B/R? i am idly knocking around a budget anhelo token/magecraft deck using some of the chaos 40k precon and it's a pretty straightforward gameplan (cast more instants/sorceries, make more tokens, play more magecraft bodies), but i want fun or interesting payoffs for copying that also won't keep people in my playgroup from wanting to never play with me again (i'm building a chaos deck for that). my ideal cards are: big and impactful; don't require shuffling or significant overhead to track or resolve; don't tie up the game too long on my end (i.e. five million extra turns is a kind of funny, but not the funny i want); move me at least theoretically closer to victory; and benefit from being copied. cards like fevered suspicion and cruel entertainment and goblin game are fun to me by this metric.

I saw a guy go off, cast Doomsday, Necropotence, and then cast all the rest of his library to play the blue Epic spell, and then copy it a few times, so that every upkeep he gets to steal like 5 permanents out of people's libraries. I tried to kill him by blowing up his Necropotence, but on his upkeep he grabbed Abundance out of my library and got to skip his draw. He had a big pile of stolen creatures until someone cast a Dimensional Breach

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I like Hallowed Burial, dodges indestructible and also any graveyard shenanigans. Just puts all creatures on the bottom of their owners' libraries.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like pretty much any deck running blue should have a couple counterspells. Even if they're mostly just to protect your threat from a board wipe or something, you can always use your 1 Negate to counter a game-winning spell by another player and save everyone. It's a fun puzzle to think about if you can let something resolve to hold on to your limited counterspells to protect your wincon later.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

LGD posted:

cancel is pretty middling even in lower power level formats that lack access to stuff like counterspell and mana drain - it's a fine fallback mode, but not one you want to be planning on as the primary means of using the card, which I think you often will be because "counter target commander" is actually pretty narrow

not in the sense that you won't have targets (because you always will), but in the sense that there's a pretty high premium/opportunity cost on 1:1 interaction/removal and you really want to be using it on the best possible targets/largest threats (which may very well not include commanders in a given game and/or be nearly impossible to assess given when they come down) or to protect your own key pieces/attempts to win (which, barring unusual circumstances, it can only do in 3 mana for cancel-mode)

obviously there's plenty of upside and there are metagames/pods where it'll always be great, but (to split the difference between competitive and casual) consider a game where you're up against something like Edric, Spymaster of Trest, a Talion, the Kindly Lord, and a Sythis, Havest's Hand - sure you can delay any given value engine by a turn or two, but which one are you going to pick?

idk, I feel like it's fine, just because of the number of times its "U - blow someone out of the game because they went soul ring, jeweled lotus, commander". The fact that it CAN counter non-commanders is great. When my opponent is about to wipe the board again, or win on the spot, I would gladly pay X where X is all of my open mana to prevent that from happening. Most people run 0 interaction, so even just throwing a cancel in there means you're ahead of the game.

Unless everyone freaks out and your deck is now seen as "the counterspell deck" because you countered 1 spell once, so everyone focuses you down first.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Seems kinda like a list of every single card the store owner or his friend have ever lost to.

Like you can imagine someone playing a planeswalker they forgot to ban and seeing them just get up and add it to the list and demanding you leave or they call the police.

Or them allowing you to play any random creature, and then you put an equipment on it and attack them with it and they just add it to the list.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, I made mono-black zombies, but I didn't really make it to be good. I basically only want to make huge piles of 2/2 zombie tokens and get completely blown out by the next board wipe

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

My wife wants me to make her a Gale, Waterdeep Prodigy / Scion of Halaster deck. How does that kind of deck even win in a 4-player game? I'm guessing you want to get a little value from playing a bunch of cheap spells that let you cast other cheap spells, but it seems like everything is just 1 for 1. UB is the most popular combination on EDHrec, but like, how does it win?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

How casual is Rhystic Study really? Like is it on the level of tutors, thoracle and original duals level of cEDH? I have a couple of them but I'm not sure if I wanna throw them in decks with random people at the store near me. and apparently its a loving ~$40 common now? If you're the only person playing one does it get people to gang up on you?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Ok, so my wife really likes Gale in Baldur's Gate, and when she found out there's a card of him, she wanted a deck built around him. Here is my first draft. I don't want to make it too competitive and unfun to play against, but U/B spells really wants to either be a storm deck or hard control.

Currently my wincon is random tokens from casting spells, or ramping into enter the infinite and lab maniac. I also have the isochron scepter/dramatic reversal combo with mana rocks to go infinite.

The idea is to just draw tons of cards, play things that trigger when I cast spells, and grind people out. It should be pretty easy to get board wipes and removal when I need it but I feel like it has a ways to go.

https://www.archidekt.com/decks/5846438/my_boys

I'm pretty sure I should remove some of the countermagic and like half the creatures for more card draw, or maybe another win condition.

Any ideas? I also don't want to make it too complicated to play correctly.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

yeah I think the kind of player who would buy a deck because it has those cards is probably also the kind of player who wouldn't check decklists before buying.

I think there is something to be said for precons to be at least kinda competitive. I remember when I first started playing Magic, I was really bad. my first deck was the 5-color precon from the newest set, Invasion, and since it already had all colors, I just added every card I had to it. I remember when one of my friends just played the RB precon out of the box and kicked everyone's rear end and we thought that deck was OP as poo poo. It started an arms race and we all learned how to make better decks at the end.

Now, those intro precons were REALLY loving bad, but we were worse then. But it should still work with a semi-competently constructed deck, to show people what one looks like. There's always room for upgrades, and maybe the packaging could include a couple of examples of upgrades with the deck list?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just print in typed duals that only come into play untapped if played from hand.

Just put typed battlebond duals in every commander product

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

How does the power level ranking work anyway? Like I know its mostly a meme and every deck is "totally a 7 bro anyway turn 1 mana crypt, chrome mox, land, tutor..."

I did see one of the various edh podcasts talking about "if you have these cards in your deck, its probably not a 7 or 8" like mana crypt, jeska's will, tutors, etc so I was wondering if it ever actually meant something, and if there was a better way to discuss how strong decks are? The best way I know is just saying what turn your deck is trying to win on, but that really only works for combo decks. If your deck is just winning by turning dudes sideways, then do you just figure out how fast you can ramp/tutor into Craterhoof? I suppose if you win through combat, and don't have a craterhoof, your opponents know they don't need to be afraid of you.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I was organizing some cards, and found some more commanders that I really want to build around now.

How many ways are there to give Heartless Hidetsugo lifelink, really?

Also I never got to play Varolz the Scar-Striped in a 60 card deck with Death's Shadow back when that was nearly viable, but how would he do as a commander? How many green or black cards are there with a power way higher than their mana cost? What are some good creatures that wouldn't mind gaining like 8 +1/+1 counters for 3 mana? or 5 for 2?

I have a Mana Echoes and Shared Animosity and a few other good goblin cards, Krenko seems busted as hell.

We may never know the answer to these questions because I have to finish organizing before I can try any of this out.

For infinite combos, I usually include 1, but only as a backup in case someone else stalls out the game, just so I can be sure that SOMEONE can end the game. It's not usually the primary wincon and I don't usually have many tutors for it.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

One of my favorite combos was winning a 6 player game with Biovisionary and Infinite Reflection. I needed to have 4+ creatures in play, one of them being Biovisionary, nobody had a counterspell or single target removal, and a 6 mana aura.

Just went around the table like "anyone got any response or removal? No? No? No? No? No? Ok I win" and people got mad at ME lmao

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Dumb thought: Spellweaver Helix in a Slime Against Humanity (or Dragon's Approach) deck. Every time you Slime/Approach, you get a copy of another sorcery for free.

Outside of the extremely obvious broken thing to do with this (extra turn spells), what are some fun ideas to pair with Slime Against Humanity/Dragon's Approach on this?

For Mono Green You're gonna be making wurm tokens or tutoring creature cards into play. You can't really copy these slime tokens since the spell puts counters on them. An overrun effect could be funny. Desert Twister might be good.

Mono-Red - Brass's Bounty would be cool, Goblin Game if you don't want friends anymore, Insurrection would be fun

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Bayham Badger posted:

Am I remembering that there was a goon here who used Stable Diffusion (or dalle) to make custom art for their proxies? I was hoping to find the post where they detail their process; I've been tinkering with SD and thought it'd be a fun project to do the same for a Volrath Shapestealer deck I'm brewing.

I tried looking through the thread but can't remember when this was!

I think that was the guy that autobanned because he didn't want to be part of a forum that didn't think AIs were sentient or something

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

That's what using AI tools leads to!

For real though, I wouldn't. Just do the plagiarism yourself

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So I think I'm giving up on making my wife a U/B Gale deck. If you're making a U/B spells matter commander deck and running 40ish instants and sorceries, there's really only a few ways that you can go and none of them are particularly fun to play, or play against. You can run lots of rituals and high tide and mana rocks and play storm, or you can play proliferate and poison counters, or you can play lots of card draw and tutors and combo and draw your whole deck and win with thoracle or lab maniac. I don't think there are quite a critical mass of token makers like Talrand and Lord of the Nazgul and Murmuring Mystic to win by attacking with tokens. And anyway, she likes green better.

So, now I'm making U/G Gale, with Raised by Giants. Now Gale can be a 10/10, ramp a shitload of lands and also buff spells, and kill people with commander damage! This is almost certainly worse, but probably more fun. Since counterspells don't really have synergy with Gale (because you can cast a sorcery from your gy when you counter a spell, but you can't usually cast a counterspell from the gy by casting a sorcery) It's mostly just cantrips and Simic Ramp into Big Dumb Stuff! I just really wish Berserk wasn't $20, its a cool effect, but not THAT cool.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Clan Crafter and Street Urchin let your commander eat artifacts. Agent of the Iron Throne drains when you eat artifacts, Guild artisan makes more artifacts to eat.

I considered this, but there aren't enough boot artifacts to feed him, you have lighting greaves, swiftfoot boots, trailblazer's boots, like 6 total and most of them are bad. Also when you play Gale with a red background, you really have to stop yourself from playing storm with Passionate Archaeologist. Burn is a little easier to do and I saw someone made a deck with Dragon Cultist around that idea.

Agent of the Iron Throne could be competitive, but and there's less overlap with spells, so its more focused on the background and less focused on Gale's ability. For some reason, there's almost nothing on EDHrec for this combo. It seems pretty easy to put together a list without it but I thought it was interesting.

Mostly its because I'm making this for my wife, who really likes Gale, and likes green. 10/10 Gale is also funny

I might just rebuild this deck every once in a while and change the 2nd color to keep it fresh.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I should be getting some more cards for my Gale, Waterdeep Prodigy Simic Bullshit deck, what's the best wincon for simic bullshit that doesn't involve bouncing everyone's stuff or taking infinite turns? Right now I have a Koma, and swinging with a big tramply Giant Gale, and a bunch of dudes that make dudes when I play spells.

Oh, and Enter the Infinite + Lab Maniac

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Avenger of Zendikar and Mystic reflection then a land or two or craterhoof

Scute Swarm, Kodama of the East Tree, simic growth chamber. Don't even need craterhoof after a certain point. Edit: this plus tatyova/aesi will draw your whole deck

Adrix and Nev or Esix also work really well for these ideas

Hmm, actually Adrix and Nev or Exix both work pretty well with my favorite dumb Simic wincon, Biovisionary

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

hmm... what if I copy biovisionary a ton of times, then craterhoof to beat everyone to death with biovisionary tokens?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like it's pretty easy to tell when you're playing competitive. Like if you have JUST a mana crypt in an otherwise unoptimized deck, its ok. maybe you just want to show off you have one. Same for a Rystic Study. And Mystical Tutor isn't as scary as Vampiric Tutor. None of those cards by themselves are cEDH, but when you play all of them together, plus a cyclonic rift, Grave Pact, and Isochron Scepter, some of the "free if you have a commander" spells and nobody else is playing anything that strong, you know what you're doing.

If you're playing with randoms and realize that people are playing all common tapland manabases and everyone's mana rocks cost 3, maybe sandbag a little? Don't drag out the game forever, but give people a chance before you combo off and win. Though if you go "turn 1 mana crypt ancient tomb chrome mox Godo, bandit warlord" it might be hard to pretend you have only lands in hand.

Conversely if you're the one with the worst deck, maybe you can get the stronger decks to take each other out.

edit: The EDHrec 100 saltiest cards list is wild. The cards everyone hates are effects that grind the game to a halt, which makes sense. But beyond that some of the saltiest cards are poo poo like Drannith Magistrate, or a free Negate, or Opposition Agent, which only punishes you if you are tutoring. I had thought that some of those cards are up there just because they're powerful but too expensive for most players to get and people just aren't proxying poo poo (would Dockside Extortionist be less salty if it costs $5 instead of $90?), but then how is Tabernacle one of the saltiest cards in the game? It costs 4 thousand dollars, statistically, very few players have played against one, unless people are using proxies. in a world where people are using proxies, is force of will really that bad?

Some of these cards probably only make the list if they are the commander. Like Augustin IV, Sheoldred, Urza, Lord High Artificer, or Hokori.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 1, 2024

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've only played Deadeye Navigator a couple times, and usually when it resolves and nobody has removal for it, everyone just groans and people start conceding.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Finally got a chance to take my Gale, Waterdeep Prodigy / Raised By Giants simic bullshit deck to my LGS and play a couple games.

Overall it did ok, I ended up removing the Solve the Equation and Mystical Tutor because they were good, but not much fun. It was my Gale deck, Magar, Junji and Phelddagrif. I killed the Phelddagrif player with a 21/20 unblockable hexproof Gale once before dying to the mono-black player's Syr Konrad infinite. I could have taken out the mono black player first, but the guy running Phelddagrif was going full pillow fort and his wincon was and I'm not even kidding, Divine Intervention. Which is not even a wincon. The Magar deck was kinda cool though, he ended up with a turn 4 hasty unblockable Army of the Damned so the game got a little archenemy-y until the pillow fort stuff started and he started sending all his zombies at that guy, eating through his fogs and protection spells.

Though the mono-black player was also pretty annoying. He was a nice enough guy but as the game went on, his turns would take longer and longer. In a deck with card draw, tutors, reanimation etc, every decision would take him 5 minutes. Someone wiped the board and he drew a bunch of cards from things dying? He took 7 and a half minutes to discard down to hand size. using that strixhaven creature to entomb something took him 5 minutes every time. Every scry trigger from Palantir of Orthanc was a life or death struggle. Every activation of Whisper, Blood Liturgist requires choosing 2 creatures to sacrifice, and 1 to reanimate. His final turn took almost 20 minutes before he figured out he had an infinite combo. During this time I tried to make conversation and asked if it was a new deck. One of the other guys at the table just looks at me and sadly shook his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

It ends the game. Counts as a wincon to me

Doesn't someone have to win? Flipping the table also ends the game but nobody calls that a wincon