Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I beat my entire pod to death earlier today with a single 8/8, then 9/9, Urza Construct token over the course of 12 turns, it was rough. But taking out the players with the most interaction first meant it was easier to keep my gravy train rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Framboise posted:

Pako and Haldan are one of those pairs that really scale to the meta. The higher quality of cards your opponents are playing, the better Haldan is.

The times Karma has played Pako against us have been utterly backbreaking because being able to essentially get +2/2 to +3/3 every turn on top of essentially drawing 3 cards per swing is just so drat good (especially if you hit an opponent's combo piece or wincon).
The biggest :smuggo: moment I had with the deck was casting an extra turn spell and everyone debating for a couple of minutes whether they need to Force it. "Nobody casts an extra turn spell just for value!" "This must be a trick."

The trick is, an extra turn with Pako is so much value it's 100% worth it just to untap, drop a land, and swing again, and play off the five new topdecks. I think I had a counter ready anyway, I wanted that extra turn even if nobody else knew why.

And yeah, exiling a key wincon isn't exactly reliable, but it happens in probably 25% of games just based on 3 opponents and maybe 4-5 cards each... you take somebody out as collateral damage through luck often enough to matter.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Arcturas posted:

Speaking of which, I was just making the final cuts on a Pako/Haldan deck this morning and would love some feedback. It’s got a pretty heavy landfall package because that seems fun, and because I don’t want it to just be removal.deck. Let me know what you think, and I’d definitely appreciate advice on cuts/swaps/unique synergies that work better in Pako than in most decks. https://www.moxfield.com/decks/4Pqu3tOJakGwEQBZPru72A
First thoughts - too many creatures. If Pako fetches a creature, it's a whiff that doesn't give you P/T or let you cast it. And likewise, not enough instants/sorceries (especially instants and low-cmc stuff). Even if they're not removal, you're drawing a lot of cards, you should be using them, and that won't work if you're ripping 5x 4-cmc cards turn after turn. After playing the deck a considerable amount, it's really all about Pako and supporting him, all the other threats in the deck pale compared to his commander damage.

I know you built a landfall subtheme, and Pako ends up hitting a lot of land drops really consistently... but in my experience, Pako himself is a pretty big creature bullying the table, getting something like Omnath or Etali or Avenger of Zendikar is the epitome of win-more. More value-based landfall like Tireless Provisioner and Tideforce Elemental and Valakut Exploration seem much more useful and fun than the pure haymakers you've got in there now.

This looks pretty casual, so I'm not gonna tell you to stick in the expensive rocks like Jeweled Lotus or Mana Crypt, but I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't throw in a bunch of 1-cmc mana dorks and Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl. You have 8-cmc worth of Commander to get out, you need the ramp in early turns, and ultimately you're basically playing a control deck, which is all about mana advantage.

One thing that Pako does really well is topdeck manipulation. If you can get a card you want on top of your deck, it's pretty trivial to have the dog fetch it to use immediately. Also, using more specialized bits of interaction. I like Cleansing Wildfire, for example - it can kill problem lands, but people generally consider it to be fair since they can grab a basic in its place, it cantrips so feels like a win-win, and it's cheap to boot. Normally it might be too specialized for a deck slot, but you draw so many cards, it's okay to have situational cards that are basically throwaways half the time. Fogs are cool and good also, since they're cheap, and having them face-up in the fetch zone really makes people think twice about going big on an attack against you. Rancor is also really, really good - trample is huge on Pako, and it recurs itself if he gets removed somehow.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 31, 2021

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Birds of Paradise is an easy dork that makes anything. Ragavan is also almost a mana dork since he makes treasures early. Bloom Tender isn't 1-cmc, but can easily be worth a lot of mana since you're stealing cards from opponents. If you had a bunch of duals and fetches, Arbor Elf would be good, but that's a $2000+ mana base.

If you want some cuts, I think Probability Storm isn't ideal, unless you're trying to make an Arcane Laboratory lock or something (which I very much doubt). Urban Evolution seems bad since you're drawing so many cards already, and 5 mana is a lot. Herald of Secret Streams just seems plain bad, and I think Key to the City is too. Just too much effort to make Pako unblockable, especially when trample is probably good enough (and easier to acquire). Aqueous Form is okay - 1 cmc is cheap, but still a very minor effect that doesn't cantrip (Leap and Cloak of Feathers are much better IMO). Embercleave is likely to flash in and 1-shot someone, which is obviously strong, but also might make people unhappy at the power level you're aiming for, and it's likely to cost a lot of mana for that effect since you're not going wide.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

At the level of $50/$15 per-card, I think you're gonna have a lot of trouble. You can cut the decks to the bone with budget replacements, but there's always something irreplaceable that is gonna rub up against that. Like the 3 big Orbs for Urza, all $20-$30 each. I just tried to budget-ify Urza, and it's hard getting under $1000, even. Urza has Snow Islands, and those alone are $50, and you need 0-cmc/1-cmc artifacts and mana positive rocks to generate infinite mana, few of which are actually cheap.

If you're cutting basically everything in the $10-$50 range, you are missing basically all the good value cards like Rhystic Study, Esper Sentinel, Dockside, Sylvan Library, Necropotence, also. The combos will probably still work for the decks that work on a budget, but all the actual gameplay of developing boardstates and earning value goes away; I don't think it would feel like cEDH, it would just feel like mid-power EDH, with the occasional blowout when someone draws a combo + the limited fast mana in the deck.

The $300-$500 range is probably the cheapest that is still gonna have the real feel of the matchups, even if you're building the decks that truly don't need any expensive pieces.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Gynovore posted:

There's a Mikaeus the Unhallowed deck that can supposedly be made for $20, I'll try to dig it up. The idea is to use Mikaeus + Triskelion to blow away everyone.
Mikaeus alone is $50... but I don't get these ultra-budget decks. $0.20 cards are very very hard to find, at least at online stores. You have to hunt just to find basic lands for that price. It might be my pet peeve, but I hate seeing "content creators" say you can build a deck for an outrageously low price, and it's actually five times that much, plus it uses a bunch of draft chaff on top of that.

I don't want to gatekeep the game based on price, I just want to see a deck I can click a link on and actually have it cost the same as the title of the article claims.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Toxrill is cool even if you don't do Kormus Bell. He's a big slug and continuous 1-sided creature wipe. It's slow and kinda durdly, but like Koma, it can easily win a game on its own. Dimir is a solid color identity on top of that.

Also, yes I bought 10 Kormus Bells while they were still $0.50 when the slug was first spoiled.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Funny enough, Kormus Bell + Urborg is no color identity, so it could also go in Elesh Norn or something just as easily.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Toph Bei Fong posted:

In addition to all this, it's flavorful, and that is appealing to a lot of folks. Many very good commanders like Thrasios and Kraum are pretty dull.
I don't usually go on about cEDH because there's not an audience for it, but there's a difference between Thrasios and Tymna and Kraum, and big splashy stuff besides just being dull. Yeah, T&T are good, but they also need you to have a strong board to make them work. Thrasios needs a lot of mana (which you're not spending on advancing your board or interacting), and draws you cards. Tymna draws you cards, but you need creatures to connect. Both of them generate resources with their card draw, which is huge, but they're still dependent on you having the mana you need to use those cards, and getting the actual threats into your hand. And likewise, if you get interacted with or staxed out, it's easy to get shut down completely because your commanders are slow weenies who don't present a threat on their own.

Then you have something like Toxrill or Pako or Najeela; they are threats that demand you deal with them right this second. Even if you have no cards in hand and no other threats on the table, you have something in the command zone that will win you the game by itself. Even without flavor, a card that dominates the game in your command zone is a different kind of value than cards that make your 99 work better.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The thing I saw that resonated with me is "Playing at a particular level or style isn’t a negative. An individual insisting that everyone else adapt to their style is what becomes problematic," and directly calling out the fun police. I don't know what his 'true intentions' are or whatever, but telling people to chill out and have fun slinging cards (even if the game doesn't go as planned because someone cast Armageddon) is good.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Mikaeus the Unhallowed is gonna be a powerhouse in any deck like Wilhelt (at around $50)

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Combat damage didn't use the stack before it did, and then didn't again.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Chakan posted:

Hey why is everything so expensive now?
Besides all the price inflation and lack of reprints and premium product releases (which is obviously gonna raise prices), people aren't going to in person events nearly as much during pandemic time, so there's way less trading. Cards get opened up, then sold online, and then leave the "marketplace" instead of being traded or sold to stores/dealers, which is probably the bigger element of price inflation.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I have and play with Gate to Phyrexia in my casual mono-B deck (because I have a bunch of old cards and what else am I gonna do with them?), and I agree it's an even better hidden gem because artifacts are harder for black to hit than enchantments. But also it's a nearly $100 card that's been out of print for... 29 years? They couldn't do their homework and decide that maybe it's not a good rec?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I brought my Drake posted:

There's also stuff like Scryfall and EDHrec that make deckbuilding and strategy articles about the game kind of moot. So I guess gimmick-based content filled the gap.
I don't even think it's moot - EDHrec is good for casting a wide net, but not for actually improving your game in any way. And to criticize the establishment by publishing articles saying "Temple of the False God is bad and you're bad for playing it, stop listening to EDHrec, most players and decks are garbage" is biting the hand that feeds you.

There are no community pillars because content creators (no offense intended to the content creators here) create content to generate engagement, not to generate expertise. Actually being right in their analysis doesn't matter anywhere near as much as production value and entertainment.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

When it comes to subtypes, there's actually a complete list of them in the rules, associated with what kinds of types they can be applied to. The only way of knowing that Gingerbrute's creature type is Golem and artifact type is Food, and not vice versa, is from the exhaustive lists, not from anything special about Shrine or Clue or Food.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Yeah, to be fair in the bad old days, creatures were much harder to budge off the table outside of combat, and generated much less immediate value. There was much less evasion, haste didn't exist yet, and creatures were much more conservatively costed. Combat math mattered a lot. Banding was never good, but it was a stalemate breaker when you can trade your 1/1 in a band for a 4/4.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

"X loops" isn't really a viable rule from a technical standpoint without turning off very ordinary board states and individual cards, also. Four Horsemen is already banned for not changing the boardstate, but how do you differentiate pinging with Heliod + Ballista 3 times from activating Pestilence or Necropotence 3 times?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Grevlek posted:

is what Seb said/did so egregious I can purchase a Terese Nielsen playmat?
Seb drove a few hundred miles to join an anti-vaxx white supremacist trucker convoy in Ottowa, where "protesters" were flying nazi flags, and posted about it on his social media, and is currently doubling and tripling down on that decision

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Nystral posted:

I was looking at THIS PRIMER for a Haptara Deck.

One of the combos it uses is this:

As I understand it the undying wolf with a +1/+1 counter getting a -1/-1 counter practically negates it, but the reality is that the wolf "sees" both counters and won't trigger undying when its hit with a second -1/-1 counter by Yawgmoth. But the primer implies that this is an infinite loop and I just don't get it.
If a game object has both +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters, they automatically remove each other on a 1-for-1 basis, leaving just whichever counters there are more of.

So adding a -1/-1 counter to a creature with a +1/+1 counter actually removes the +1/+1 counter, and allows undying to trigger again.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bust Rodd posted:

I have no idea who this guy is or if Playing w/ Power is good content but this raises an interesting point or two. You can’t answer everything and the solution to annoying cards isn’t always just to shoot them with magic guns.
Aside from the 100 card singleton meaning high variance, I think the fact that EDH used the Vintage card pool is also a big identity. That means in addition to the good interaction and good value, you need strong threats/"questions".

Not to start the Tergrid discussion again,but if Tergrid is on one side of the table, but elsewhere you see Koma, and elsewhere someone has a Seedborn Muse + Thrasios, and elsewhere someone has Winota + 3 dorks ready to swing, the threat math is really dire - you can't stop them all. Likewise you have cards like Rhystic Study that will easily run away with a game, or Dauthi Voidwalker that will eviscerate graveyard-based decks, or Rule of Law that will kill storm decks. You have decks that can generate a massive mana advantage and then pump it into a commander, really all kinds of things can put a deck into an advantageous position, you need to pay attention.

If every deck has 20 strong threats, they don't need tutors to say "answer this or lose" because they're going to draw some of those threats. And I personally think the game works better if it shakes out that the board can never really be clear of genuine threats (including the idea that a White Knight is not a genuine threat even if you left it alone the entire game), you can just slow the threats down enough that your gameplan can pull ahead.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bust Rodd posted:

What is commander content that you’d like to see exist? Been thinking a lot about Josh Lee Kwai’s advice and takes on current commander content and I’m really interested in making more cEDH content and pivoting away from deck techs. I agree with Josh that they are fun to make, like a little diary entry about a deck you like, but that content has a shelf life and a built in limitation on audience engagement. I’d be much happier making content about how to play, how to brew, how to explore and attack different metas, etc. there are now like 50+ commander content creators pumping out Deck Tech/Gameplay/ Dexk Tech/Gameplay/Deck Tech and I want to foster more widespread discussion instead of just making the same content as everyone else.

"Who's the beatdown" adapted to EDH would be a solid video I think. It's such an important concept in reading the board state and analyzing threats.

Another angle would be the intersection of strategy vulnerabilities with premier stax/silver bullet cards. Looking at the meta and saying Deck X can't win through Rule of Law or graveyard hate, and Deck Y shuts down with Null Rod and Deck Z loses if you remove a critical combo piece. Knowing deck strengths and weaknesses is critical in choosing a deck for a metagame, analysis of what unique things a deck brings to the table, and figuring out the best lines of play when you shuffle up.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bust Rodd posted:

There isn’t really a default “control” commander at the top end of Commander because everyone has to be the cops to some degree. Setting out to police the table on your own is a losing proposition. You could start with Kess and 50 counter spells and removal but you’ll get demolished without a reliable way to win the game while suppressing your opponents.

The most control playstyle deck I have is really Pako. It has the ramp and card draw to actually just remove massive amounts of stuff, and also compact aggro options and super high cards quality.

Besides that, yeah, stax is the name of the game.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Body Double would work hypothetically, if it was in the right color identity.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

disaster pastor posted:

Winning shouldn't be the only goal, but it should be a goal. There's nothing wrong at all with not playing extra turn loops or not playing stax, those are absolutely valid choices to make about your play experience and the power level of the decks you play with. Where it becomes a problem is when you build a deck that at the end of the day simply does not play to win.
Nobody asked me, but this is the way I think about it: when you sit down to build a deck, you have to consider power level, and that's the point at which you consider everyone's enjoyment and the social nature of the game. You might say you're not going to include Consult/Oracle in your 5-color deck just because you don't want to win that way. You might include Armageddon in your otherwise friendly combat-matters deck to close out a game when you're ahead. You can be as focused and cutthroat or janky as you want at this stage.

Once you sit down and shuffle up, whatever deck you picked, you're playing to win. That's it. Play your hand the best you can, and pick whatever line you think will get you the W at the end, you already did the "nice" part by building your deck and having a pregame conversation to figure out what everyone is going to play with.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Don't sleep on Karn, the Great Creator for anti-artifact hate.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

A 3-mana sorcery that draws you 3 wouldn't be a reasonable boost even if it didn't also draw 3 for your opponents. If there were half a dozen affordable (mana-wise) white sorceries that gave you a 3-for-1, you could build a draw-go style deck, and have a reliable plan to trade a modest amount of mana for a modest amount of cards, but with a one-off, it's completely irrelevant.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

What's the best Mind Over Matter deck?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

pseudanonymous posted:

One thing my play group talked about at one point was having victory points, sort of Jyhad style, like 1 for eliminating a player, 1 for being the last player alive at the end, and 1 for "winning" the game. So if you Pact/thoracle you only get 1 victory point.

Another idea is you get 1 VP when the player to your left is eliminated, which is very Jyhad, it does penalize certain kinds of kill decks, like if you're somehow earthquaking for 40.

This doesn't really solve the combo issue though it just means you want to play a damage based combo where you can just kill players off 1 at a time to get the most vp, but at least those combos tend to be a bit more board intensive. If you build some goblin bombardment infinite combo then you net the most VPs.
Yeah, it ultimately just makes different strategies good and bad. If you only get 1 point for Thoracle (which is not actually how the rules would work, since "you win the game" effects parse out to "each opponent loses the game separately"), and you get 5 points for Godo infinite combats, people just make their mean decks fit the new rules.

If you get points for eliminating players, you end up with kill stealers sniping a point with a Lightning Bolt. If you give points for damage dealt, you end up with people giving out extra life to take away and farm points. The meanest decks wouldn't just get the maximum amount of points for winning, they would also deny their opponents the maximum amount of points in the process, to make sure it's 5-0-0-0 instead of 5-3-2-0.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bust Rodd posted:

… what if I can’t cast my removal on the game ending threat because my 3rd land came into play tapped and now I have to forestall my entire game plan and hold up removal in the hopes that I am guessing correctly? That’s WAY more likely, IMO!

Lands coming into play loving sucks, Root Maze is a cEDH staple for a good reason! It doesn’t just slow the game down, it fundamentally changes how the entire game is played. Unfucking my mana will ALWAYS be worth a removal spell, IMO.
I almost never remove symmetric (or at least ones that affect 3/4 of the players) mana-fuckers because they are slowing everyone else down too, and someone else will usually remove it for me, saving me the mana and the card. Also I'm the jerk who's playing them in the first place.

IMO it's only worth removing if A) you're the beatdown at the table, even after taking the tempo and card loss of blowing removal on an inconvenience, or B) one player has become archenemy and speeding up the other two players (even at the personal tempo loss) is going to do a better job of stopping them.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bust Rodd posted:

I think Infinite Karma should go and surprise everyone with Food Chain Garth
If I'm spending $300 to play at Frank & Sons, I'm using my most reliable decks, so Urza or Pako.

It would be a joy to get Garth on the map, but Garth doesn't have the juice to win multiple pods as archenemy like Urza or the good dog do.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I still say Library of Alexandria and Recurring Nightmare could be unbanned with little repercussion.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Batterypowered7 posted:

What was it that makes Recurring Nightmare difficult to deal with? That bouncing it to hand is part of the cost to reanimate something?
Yes. Since bouncing to hand is a cost and you always have priority when it resolves (assuming nothing triggers when it ETBs), you can always activate it before anyone has priority to hit it with removal.

In practice, people can either remove all your creatures from the board while RN is on the stack, or remove all the valid targets in your graveyard to keep RN on the table long enough to remove the enchantment.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Batterypowered7 posted:

What are the common combo wins in cEDH? Thoracle (Breach or Pact/Consultation), Glint-Horn + Malcolm, and Krark + Storm-Kiln Artist + spells?

The most common ones are probably Thoracle, Breach loops, or infinite mana + draw your deck (and then win in a lot of different ways, or pump infinite mana into your commander for some other kind of win). Beyond that, you have a lot of specific A+B or even 0-card combos with specific commanders like Glint-Horn + Malcolm, Najeela infinite combats, Heliod + Ballista, or Godo + Helm.

Fundamentally, you have some decks where the commander is a value generator/enabler, and the combo comes from cards in the 99, and you have some decks where the value and enablement comes from the 99, and the commander is a combo piece - it's only a rare few where the commander is both a combo piece and a value generator, and those decks are usually pretty (cEDH) format defining.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Silhouette posted:

They just added Alien and Robot types in Unfinity, and Astartes would be Knights, probably
Astartes are more race than class, they're more like Angels or something new like Ascended or Godblood.

If WotC is committed to making them new creature types, they obviously won't be named for anything existing.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Silhouette posted:

I know what a space marine is, ive been a wargamer almost as long as ive been a magic player

Edit: and if anything, they'd be Mutants instead of a new race
Sure, didn't mean to doubt your bona fides. I meant that Astartes Warrior turning into Knight Warrior would be a deviation from normal templating, nothing about the fiction.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

That's exactly how you build a 5c mana base. Command Tower, City of Brass, Mana Confluence, Reflecting Pool, Tarnished Citadel, then maybe a basic or two to let you sneak past Blood Moon

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'm not even sure if the effects interact in the layers hierarchy. It very well might be that your lands are all basic mountains from Blood Moon, and also have all land types and can tap for any color

edit: Reading the rulings on layers and Blood Moon, it looks like it is timestamp dependent, so whichever card is played second prevails, but originally basic lands will still be able to tap for any color regardless of timestamp order; Prismatic Omen doesn't make lands nonbasic on its own.

Framboise posted:

Pretty sure whichever is the most recent spell is the one whose effect matters-- the second would override the first.

I think?
That's the way it works when effects are in the same layer, and most of the time. When you have things that apply in different layers, you do them in layer order regardless of timestamp, and you never undo a previous layer's interactions in a later step. It's how you have to resolve Opalescence + Humility, for instance.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 22, 2022

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I liked the Dargo/Jeska mono-R deck also, it's got a weird and very fast combo line, but also has the cool possibility of attacking with Dargo, using Jeska to triple damage, and delete players one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It's absolutely toxic of me to say this, but the tightest and most memorable game I ever played was in a tournament back when Stasis was standard-legal (against a Stasis deck). I didn't concede to the soft lock, and after dozens of turns of careful play on both sides, I made my move with about 10 cards left in my deck, barely winning an interaction war with exactly all my mana, and by the turn I drew my last card, I was able to (cumulatively) attack for exactly lethal damage and win. Any earlier and I'd have lost the interaction war, any later and I'd have not been able to push through enough damage.

Basically, close games are good, even if stuff like Mindslaver ends up being win-more when you already have total dominance.