Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I brought my Drake posted:

Where are my Golden Pantaloons. And you must gather your party before venturing forth. Is it really a Baldur's Gate set without these things?

They did the latter.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Commander+Legends+Battle+for+Baldurs+Gate/Venture+Forth#paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mycosynth Lattice, Celestial Dawn (but only for your stuff), Thran Lens.

There's a number of others that are targeted, temporary, or in specific conditions too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TotalHell posted:

I mean yeah. I’d love to just play Post Malone or some other Magic celeb in a casual setting where we can just slam various decks into each other and see how they fare. That would be fun. But not the point of this event, clearly.

A friend of mine played with Joe Manganiello a couple of months back. Another friend of his knows Joe's manager or something. There might have been another degree of separation in there even.

That's basically what they did, but as you can imagine Joe's decks are pretty drat strong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can still find a life sized predator at just about any LGS these days.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

200 people at 300 bucks each is $60,000. Is the prize pool anywhere near that amount? A quick google tells me that an Unlimited lotus is $20k for a cheap one (they don't specify condition so i assume "not good"). The rest of the prizes I'm too lazy to look up their prices/wtf they even are, but I doubt they total >$20k. And I can't imagine they're spending more than a few thousand on operating costs and advertising; if anything, they're probably making bank from store traffic. It does not seem like a good deal. (I could be wrong; the prices of lotuses and old poo poo like that vary a lot, plus idk what the gently caress half the items in the prize pool are.)

Also if you win you have to take home a "Liliana Statue" so can you really consider it a win?

edit: just noticed the banner says "guaranteed 30k prize pool." it's normal for like a 1k at a local store to have a prize pool that's 50% of the revenue but that's because operating costs are a much higher proportion of that number (mostly judges/staff) but this tournament absolutely will not need more than two judges and one TO and a house cut of 30k is loving ridiculous

edit2: maybe three judges if they're bad judges.

"Deal"? It's $300, you're not buying every seat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Framboise posted:

How does Whim of Volrath relate to that card? I'm confused.

it can freely target anything, doesn't matter if its effect can't do anything, and it has the cheapest cost+buyback combo.

Clockspinning would work too for 1 more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They learned their lesson and didn’t let it tap enchantments and planeswalkers this time at least.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unban Tolarian Academy you cowards.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Of course it happens sometimes. It's a pay to win hobby, every one of those attracts assholes.

Often? Probably not, the other players are going to know you're that guy fairly quickly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

In cEDH, you should be your only opponent. Winning is on you to build the best deck and play it in the best possible way. If you lose, what could YOU have done differently?

Netdecked from a different user.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what I do when I'm idea hunting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Eh. It triggers when it attacks, but it's a 2/2 with no evasion?

There's another card in that deck that will give it Deathtouch on attack, a few anthem effects, and some recursion but yeah it's a bit fragile otherwise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EDHREC still has her with the most decks. She's also #1 over the past month, but 4th in the past week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

yeah it was definitely confusing and convoluted to order the Academic deck boxes, that's for sure. that was probably the worst KS i've participated in (not Prof's fault)

Also delivery was like a year off for a deckbox.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I backed and I'm not proud of it but I like the Foglios and their art. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a crowdfunding site just for artists.

OMA has that on their actual site, using Backerkit.

https://originalmagicart.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

I'm not sure why they use Kickstarter for the full projects instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

This is kinda just Kickstarter.txt tbh (not defending it) so I'm not super salty about it but I get what you're saying

Honestly I kinda like paying for something way in advance then basically forgetting about it until it just shows up, kind of a nice surprise

It's not rare on Kickstarter, but this was from a company already mass manufacturing deckboxes every day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It would cause a bunch of cards to force hard draws.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kurieg posted:

They said it was all new art but they were intentionally trying to ape the style of the 80s cartoon for the non-showcase cards.

I get what they were going for but looking like random stills from an episode is such a bizarre choice. It looks cheap.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, go ahead and try to show up to something sanctioned with them and see what happens.

Otherwise? Nothing changed. You could counterfeit before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Syenite posted:

Do people actually care enough to meticulously deck check at EDH events?

These cards have a big 30th anniversary stamp as a set symbol.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

A creatures color identity is independent of their color, right? Morophon is colorless despite have a WUBRG identity?

Yes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Archidekt is alrirght but Moxfield is the easiest one to read on mobile and actually show card previews without being picked up as clicking a link.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do necrons even care about being necrons? All their effects are artifact or artifact creature, aren’t they?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah you could most likely upgrade the Necron deck to be a beat. Trazyn could go infinite with the right setup as his own commander.

But the deck is just so stylish I'm not sure I want to upgrade it lol.

Pili-Palla or Staff of Domination makes him go infinite with a Sol Ring (or any other 2+ mana producer of course.)

Then you have your choice of your favorite infinite mana kill. Walking Ballista, assorted milling stones, etc. You can even do Aladdin's Ring. If you mill yourself first, you can do them all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a new world. The old admin died and the new one is into all kinds of illegal stuff.

(I don't remember when Jeffrey took over and don't care to look)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Holy crap where did you find this art. I need a ton of proxies based on specfic paperback covers immediately.

This guy made it (name is on the top): https://www.artstation.com/logicwavelength

He doesn't seem to have any others though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure all the cEDH content creators use mostly proxies.

You'd have to with their content cycles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MTG 'investment' is like the easiest thing in the world. There's constantly posters here who casually predict that stuff just in the middle of a pathetic shitpost mocking someone for liking a thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Nope, ravenous cares about the amount of Mana paid for X costs, not the number of counters.

Yeah and that's important to remember since that deck contains Hardened Scales and a couple of other ways to put extra +1/+1 counters on cast.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

Cool, I haven't heard of most of those cards, shifting away from...every amass card would probably be better so I'll check that out.

If you keep Amass and all those planeswalkers, some Proliferate might be worth a look.

Deepglow Skate is always fun, especially if you can flicker it. Displacer Kitten could both do that, and flicker your planeswalkers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you exile someone's commander while mind slaving them you can choose for it not to go back to the command zone, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Painlands might be worth considering over the pathways too. Kenrith doesn't care about paying life.

You can probably get the whole suite of them for $30 or $40.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Winota is the perfect deck because I'm convinced in casual EDH its win rate actually goes down with the jankier removal and overcosted stuff people would never play in cEDH.

Reynold posted:

A calculator that determines the power of your decklist on a scale of 1-10 based on the weighted value of the cards, both individually and multiplied by combos GET ON IT NERDS

This already exists. I don't remember the page off hand, but I've seen it linked on Reddit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Mana Crypt costs over $180 in paper and is an optimal choice for literally every deck, without exception. There's decks that can argue no chrome mox due to artifact count, decks without LED combos, and decks where Jeweled Lotus is mostly useless, but until someone invents the deck with no generic costs, Mana Crypt is in it.

Yeah but I have Mana Crypt in decks that suck rear end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also the closest answer is Kraum and/or Tymna.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You could get a precon and some good upgrades for less than buying a deck in singles.

The 40k decks are by a pretty solid margin the best they've released. They might be hard to get at a reasonable price right now though.

They actually tend to keep getting better with each new set so any recent precon that interests you is probably a good start if you can't find one of those.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Presumably +X/+0 equipment, so toughness can stay at 1 for Tetsuko.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Elbrus, the Binding Blade would be funny and kind of on theme.

Terrible though. But funny!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't use Cranial Plating, it has a black color identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those sound like Canadian prices, are you Canadian?

401games has the Necron deck for $100 if you are.