Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

board games are good!

play more board games.

also: really nice OP[s], OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

homullus posted:

(1) Never sit down to play a modern board game and expect to open the box and learn to play as you go, or with one unlucky person attempting to explain as they read. If nothing else, everyone should watch a "how to play video" together. Really, don't do it, it's awful.

this was my fault ONE TIME in ~2010, some coworkers and I cracked open a fresh copy of Chaos in the Old World and I began reading the rules out loud.

it remains a painful memory, and I have gotten up from a table with zero regret when I've sensed no one knew what was going on and a group learn formed.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

More like bored games

S.J. posted:

More like bored games

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

For the new thread and for a refresher for myself, what are the best games for solo play?

I keep waiting for COVID to stop being a thing so I can play with groups again, but I'm getting the itch to play something.

I like story heavy games for solo play - stuff where reading large amounts of text would be tedious out loud.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
Chronicles of Crime
Detective
Mythos Tales

These games are all light on gameplay and focused more on deduction.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

bagrada posted:

Judging by my friend who duo'd the whole campaign with his wife then alternately showed it off to me and a couple others, the replay value is in stomping newbies because you remember where everything is and they are still stumbling around trying to figure out which threads to latch onto.

it's important to note the rulebook explicitly calls this out - "don't replay a scenario with new players" for that exact reason.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

but only if they're the banker (so they can cheat)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

What’s wrong with mars? I’ve played it 10 or so times and have no complaints other than it’s annoying when all your initial cards are expensive or dependent on high temperature/oxygen/oceans.

drafting helps with this

EDIT: I really enjoy playing TM, but with 2-3 other players who've played before.

I was invited to be the 5th with 3 new players a couple weeks ago and declined as quickly and politely as I could.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 4, 2022

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dancer posted:

At which point you can play sushi go party for 70% of the weight at 20% of the rules burden and time investment.

TM is way too shallow for how long it takes.

I played sushi go party and it did nothing for me so I'll pick TM each time if those are the only games around.

Of course there's a calculus we make whenever presented with X people, Y time, Z games, and A rules capacity.

Are there better games than TM? absolutely. sometimes you want to play TM and that's totally cool.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

So:
  • 3 players
  • No more than Catan + expansion complexity wise
  • Not something super cutthroat
  • His brother getting a copy is on the table
  • Assume digital versions aren't an option

Little Town - small box area control game about generating resources and plopping down buildings
Tiny Towns - spacial puzzle around building a town
Via Nebula - Martin Wallace route building
Roll Player - create a D&D character. with dice. that's the game. because dice, works best if remote has a copy
Isle of Skye - tableau builder with auctions.

These are all best with 3 and ~same complexity as Catan.

EDIT: more, these a step more complex:

Pan-Am - route building and stock holding
London Second Edition - city engine builder
Nusfjord - Uwe's seaside fishing game.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 15, 2022

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

l0lwhat posted:

So I managed to get my wife into board games with lighter games like canopy, cascadia and calico and stepped it up with wingspan and paleo. Im looking for a good 2 player light to medium weight euro, any suggestions? I do have fields of arle laying around but was thinking that an Uwe Rosenberg game might be too much.

Caverna: Cave vs Cave + expansion
Le Havre: The Inland Port
Agricola: All Creatures Great and Small + expansions or complete edition
- these are 2 player only / lighter versions of Uwe's bigger box games. all very good.

Foothills (2 player version of Snowdonia)

higher complexity:
Grand Austria Hotel
Nusfjord
Hallertau

if any of the higher complexity games go over well, give Fields a shot

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

is there any appreciable difference between R&B&C 4th edition and the 20th anniversary edition?

I have a copy of each and don't know which to get rid of. the 20th century box lid is a bit crushed so if there's no difference I probably sell that.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I've been fielding trade requests for my NIS AFFO since rumors of a complete edition started, but I only local trade/sell stuff that doesn't fit in a flat rate box

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Back Alley Borks posted:

You gotta go with my friend's plan, play a game at a game night then when people show interest in buying it, pull out the NIS copy from the cupboard like a street dealer in a trenchcoat.

I bought several games because of this method.

I would happily repurpose the trench coat in my closet for shady board games dealing but I'm also too covid-wary to play games indoors with >2 other people these days.

I've bought non-KS board games exactly once in the last ~18 months, to fill out my marvel champions collection after buying someone else's collection. Other than that all my games have come/gone through the BGG monthly math trade or donations to the local library.

now that KS "season" has come back I find myself hesitant to back more stuff, taking a hard look at "am I going to realistically be able to play this in the 1-2 years after it delivers?"

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

It's so interesting seeing Crokinole chat from people outside of Canada/Southern Ontario because every house has probably has an old board somewhere

I grew up with a Carrom board and I don't see the big deal either

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

This is basically what I thought, and then I figured if I'm playing it solo digital then I should just play XCOM or something instead.

this is the eternal dilemma I face with all tabletop solo games. I have a small handful of solo-only games, but every time I see a 2+ player game "with solo mode included" I get +small% more excited and think "I'll also play this solo!"

when it comes time to find something to do, though, 100% of the time it's easier to fire up a video game or watch a movie than bust out a solo game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

matrix-switch-not-like-this-animated.gif

I can appreciate the desire for consistent box sizing - I have my collection organized first by box size and then by played or not, then by alphabet.

but not like this

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Whats a good rec for 8 players?

Sidereal confluence or captain sonar

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

live rent free as long as they agreed to play a BGG 3.0+ rating every week :)

only once a week? at least three!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

Pandemic Legacy S0 is earmarked to be played with some friends.

have you played seasons 1-2 already? I don't remember specifics but order of release made story beats in 2/0 much stronger.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

there's no good way to write out the sounds you think of when you see a Transformer do its thing

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Also Rahdo has just proclaimed Guild of Merchant Explorers his favourite game of 2022 so far but he is so drat positive and jubilant over what feels like everything that him getting excited about something doesn't quite mean as much if anyone else does it.

just by looking at the photo on alderac's site this looks like 8 minute empires 2.0

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

El Fideo posted:

Just to clear up what you're saying, the new version plays up to seven players, but falls apart at seven?

I dunno what they're saying, both versions are listed at a maximum 6.

EDIT: VVVV nope.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Spiteski posted:

I hope that some of these are going to be available as addons for Septima - I'd love to save up and get Anachrony, Trickerion and Perseverance. They look so good.

I got the trickerion all in as a perseverance add-on so there's a good chance

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

severe lack of games which play 5-6 so it was a decent addition to the collection

get you some City of Horror

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Kerro posted:

Finally received my copy of Carnival Zombie 2nd edition and played a couple of quick solo games yesterday. It is such a weird but fun game that comes together far more cohesively than I thought it would from reading the rules.

US fulfillment supposedly begins next week and I am excited

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I played Alchemists for the first and hopefully only time yesterday after owning it for years.

Cumbersome deduction mechanism, bland worker placement, required app usage, no thanks.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Glagha posted:

Your loss! It's kind of a hit for my current board game group, but I don't entirely disagree with your beefs. The deduction element isn't cumbersome IMO but it is dense and required and if your gaming group doesn't "get" logic deduction puzzles, they are going to have a very bad time. It's like, a worker placement game with a sudoku in it and you have to be able to logic that out or the game is just going to fall instantly flat. It's definitely a niche game IMO, I, and my current gaming group just happen to be the right group for it.

We certainly “got” it, and correctly figured out all 8 ingredients, and ended up with an exact tie at first.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

homullus posted:

Looking for thread help: I was telling my wife about Dice Throne and she said "So that's a play on words, right?" and I don't know which smilies to use for the feeling of not seeing it for years.

fuuuuuuuuuuck

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Of the 624 games I have logged plays on BGG for, the number I have played >= 20 times is 4.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

I'm strangely eagerly awaiting impressions about Twilight Inscription from GenCon.

Suddenly Susan and I did a ticketed play session with the designer and managed to each score one of the ~150 copies they surprise sold at gencon.

It’s excellent, easily the game of a ~lackluster gencon for new and heavier releases.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 7, 2022

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

Suddenly Susan and I did a ticketed play session with the designer and managed to each score one of the ~150 copies they surprise sold at gencon.

It’s excellent, easily the game of a ~lackluster gencon for new and heavier releases.

actual Twilight Inscription thoughts:

each player has four sheets, each sheet has 2 unlockable technologies and ways to spend the game's dice generated resources to unlock other resources some sheets can consume.

1. Navigation - takes dice resources and gives you points / access to mecatol / relics / planetary resources which can be used on
2. Expansion - unlock planets with resources from Navigation, use dice resources to complete columns and rows to unlock votes, trade goods, dice, etc
3. Industry - primarily a solo tic-tac-toe game on an irregular grid to choose which resources (O) you want, and which (X) you're willing to discard, but also manages your votes and trade goods.
4. Warfare - spend resources to build units.

each round a card's drawn from a deck that determines the type of round - council, war, production, strategy. most rounds are strategy, there are...3 council, 4 war, and I dunno how many production cards in the deck. the final war card triggers end of game.

cards often have resources on them - each player chooses ONE of their four sheets to ACTIVATE, then spends those resources on that sheet. afterward, all 6 dice (3 grey, 3 colored to the basic resource types) are rolled and each player spends their values (the grey everyone gets, the others each player gets if they've unlocked that color for their active sheet) on their active sheet only. you can also spend resources FROM your inactive sheets to perform actions on your active sheet, but not the opposite.

so each turn each player chooses what to focus on. you're also not allowed to look at other players' sheets while your pen is in hand, and when you put your pen down, you're done with the current step and can't pick it up again.

when a war comes up, each player fights the players to their left and right given the units each has deployed to their left and right. each unit takes up a number of dots in a grid joined by lines, and your army strength is the number of dots you have under that war's deployment line. afterward, all those units are lost. Losing a war costs you -1VP, winning gives you extremely good but not unique unlocks (planets, dice, etc)

each player also has a faction card that gives them a unique passive and active ability - each sheet can unlock 1 use of the active ability, so max 4 times/game use.

I didn't get a chance to play it again yesterday, and over the next week I'll probably get in some solo plays, but from the ~70% complete demo we played friday, the game is extremely good. there's very little downtime, it feels like you're building a unique empire, the faction abilities are strong but not gamebreaking, and you can play it 4-5 times with 8 players in the same time as a game of TI4.

24 factions, 8 unique variants of each sheet + 1 set all the same, big deck of relics.
there's also a robot you use in the 1-2 player game.

djfooboo posted:

I have two friends whom opinions I trust that said it was the game of the con for them and they aren’t roll and write apologists.

to me this is faint praise cause gencon had very little that was a) exciting b) 3+ weight and c) available, but Twilight Inscription is extremely good. Playing it was #2 on my gencon 2022 highlights, acquiring it was #1.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Unironically the best version of Monopoly I’ve played. It ends faster.

I've heard nothing but good things about Monopoly Deal, which costs <$10 and plays in ~15 minutes

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

I’m sorry, a $65 roll and write? What’s in the box?

A 3.38 weight 2 hour distillation of a 4-12 hour game.

It’s excellent.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Gloomhaven (Digital) FREE on Epic Games from today til the 29th

make jaws of the lion free too, cowards

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Can you play the epic store version with the steam one

yes, you can. the host generates a code to join the game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ESPN did a segment this morning on the Buffalo Bills and Catan.

we've gone even more mainstream!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

there's a marked difference between articles about Bhaktiari and Luck enjoying board games and a sit down interview with the odds-on NFL MVP frontrunner / one of the league's most popular players gushing about and showing video of Catan on ESPN's pregame show.

I thought it was neat and worth sharing; thank you for correcting me!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

geekgroup is amazing. I've set up automatic lists for each optimal player count and one for each regular meetup I do. every month they pull in my collection changes from BGG; makes choosing what to play a comparative breeze.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This looks great. I need to play with it a bit more but from what I've tried on my phone it's not pulling anything in my Collection listed as Want to Play, and only pulling games Owned.

yeah it looks like you can only include/exclude games based on BGG status if the data source is your own collection. since lists have a 1000 game max it might be a size issue.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Can you share those lists, Fate?

https://geekgroup.app/users/malloreon/lists are lists configured to generate from my collection - stuff I own with best player counts 1-9, then for different meetups. each list automatically updates monthly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Managed to get a copy of horizons of spirit island before it goes on sale by asking someone at target if there were any copies in the back.