Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Resident Idiot posted:

Ha, another person who's played Farkle. I was beginning to think the whole thing was a hoax and I was the only one who'd played it.

I was about to say I've played Farkle, but then I remembered that no, I just know a guy who keeps some solo cups in a Farkle box to use as a Liar's Dice kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

gschmidl posted:

I just checked my edition and it has an illustrator credit and thanks DXV for Dominion.

The illustrator credited isn't Matthan, the BGG user who put Dominion on chips and designed the exact banners and iconography that ended up on Puzzle Strike. The thanks to DXV disappeared from revised Puzzle Strike rulebooks after he and Sirlin met, which went down like this:

donaldx posted:

I met Sirlin once. "Do you know who I am?" he said. I said, "Yes, you're the guy who stole that guy's idea for a chip version of Dominion." "You know I credit you in the rulebook," he said. "Do you credit that guy?" I asked. He did not.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I just got an email blast from David Sirlin promoting Puzzle Strike 2 and this first paragraph is pretty rich coming from a guy who used a picture of someone else's redesign of someone else's game as the starting point for his design:

sirlin posted:

Puzzle Strike 2 marks a shift in my design thinking. My usual process has been to start with a mechanic or system, develop it, then later on develop the components and how it all looks in the box. A sensible order of events. But…something I’ve learned from user interface design is that if you want a slick user experience, then START with that. Have the underlying system and functions in mind, sure, but start with what you want players to ultimately see, touch, and do. Make it look good and feel good so that you can craft the underlying system specifically to end up pretty, elegant, and/or satisfying.

He turned the game into a market row deckbuilder, and his justification for why this is good design is that in addition to all the standard reasons market row deckbuilders are bad, the order of cards in the market row affects how attacks work so sometimes you need to buy a card you don't want to prevent your opponents' attacks from getting too good. There's also a big dumb plastic scepter for some reason.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

mellifluous posted:

So, any recommendations for a moderately complex low-interaction game that can be played in about 2 hours or less (including the teach) with 4 players, one of whom has pretty bad AP?

A few rounds of Dominion.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Infinitum posted:

For semi-recent non-KS releases Great Western Trail got a 2nd Edition which is
A.) Gorgeous
B.) Has Cowboy hats for Meeples

Been trying to get it to the table for a while but ~covid~

I picked it up because it has a solo mode and ~covid~. It only took me like 3 games to get the rules for the automaton right. He kicked my rear end.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Megasabin posted:

Any thoughts on Puzzle Strike II? I know the first one was considered a legit good deck builder/1v1 game. Do people who understand the first think the second sounds like it's shaping up well from a design standpoint? Two days left and I'm considering backing.

Puzzle Strike II isn't the 4th revision of the Puzzle Strike rules; it's a completely different game with a similar theme. The first game hewed a bit too closely to Dominion, but Dominion is the best deckbuilder so it ended up pretty good. The new game is a market row game where Sirlin looked at all the problems market rows have and thought "What if there were more ways for the market to screw you over?" A lot of the emphasis seems to be on the game devolving into chaos and how fancy the components are, which, you can't fault Sirlin for not understanding the Kickstarter audience.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Azran posted:

I'd much rather wait for Frosthaven Digital like half a decade from now. Even leaving aside the price, just the thought of organizing, pulling and storing all the stuff in that absurdly big box makes me shudder.

But that's the most fun part about buying a new boardgame!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Magnetic North posted:

e: Done. Anyone, please let me know if I have any factual mistakes, as I was not a common Kickstarter-er even before their recent bullshit.

It might be a good idea to make it more clear that it's up to the project to decide who gets access to the pledge manager. I've definitely backed campaigns where a $1 pledge didn't get you any more than access to backers-only updates.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I don't own and have never played Mombasa, but I'd buy a new edition of most games if the remake was set on the moon.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Glagha posted:

See the real pro strat is to simply get a friend who fell down a deep hole on 3D printing and starts selling poo poo on Etsy and whatever and now has a room full of a dozen different printers and dozens of spools of filament filling her basement.

Yeah, I got a 3D printer thinking it'd be a fun addition to my boardgaming hobby when it turns out it was an entirely new hobby that I really didn't have time for.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Hempuli posted:

What's the biggest, most game-affecting rule misread/fumble that you've done?

The first time I played Lost Ruins of Arnak, the assumption was that you need to pay the exploration compass cost for level 1 and 2 locations every time you visit them, even after they've already been revealed. Made reaching the top of the research track seem like a pretty much insurmountable task. Interestingly this happened while playing on Board Game Arena, and I genuinely thought I saw the game deduct 3 compasses from me when going to an already-revealed site despite that very evidently not being the case!

The second time I played Goa it fell to me to teach; I'm not entirely sure how that happened because I only vaguely remembered it from my first game. I skimmed the rules and completely missed that when you win an auction you pay the player who put the thing up for sale instead of the bank. "The taxes action seems really strong, how can you even play without upgrading it first thing?"

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Admiralty Flag posted:

Sorry, but I’ve never heard of this. I’m guessing holiday sale = December? What should I look for in case I decide to, e.g., sleeve my entire Dominion collection as a Christmas miracle?

I have an entire sleeved Dominion collection. Don't sleeve Dominion. Buy a few sets of Base Cards and replace them as they start to show wear.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Frozen Peach posted:

Unfathomable is just better in every way, unless you're just like, really into the sci-fi theme I guess?

Speaking as someone who's played Welcome To... a couple times and thought it was ok but just found out there's a version set on the moon that I have to run out and buy right now, that's understandable.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Some groups will get mad at you when you set the big pile of sheep that have accumulated on the action space free because you don't have a place for them and some groups will get mad at you.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

nordichammer posted:

How many times do you think you should play an average game ($60 USD priced game for a point of comparison) for it to be 'worth' the purchase?

If you get with pleasure out of reading the rulebook, punching out and organizing the bits, every game is worth the purchase even if you never play it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Kazzah posted:

Playing the new Into the Breach expansion has made me realise that it's basically the same game as Spirit Island. Both are ostensibly strategy games where the player knows most of what the enemy is going to do this turn, BUT you can't be certain about the next Explore/the next set of bugs to emerge. Both are more like puzzle games, in that true long-term planning is very difficult, and really the strategy overlay is a mechanism to create a series of puzzles, where you use your expanding toolkit to beat a seemingly impossible enemy that's trying to destroy the world. Both have a somewhat-disconnected health pool that the player is trying to protect, and while you can lose due to player pieces getting directly eliminated, running out of Blight/Grid is the main way (also in both games, if you're not taking damage, you're probably not playing at the right difficulty). Both give the player a few basic powers at the start, and expect them to use these creatively while also acquiring new tools from a random deck, and both ask players to commit energy to actually use all these tools.

oh, and both have four types of land

Oh, I guess I should get Spirit Island, then.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I'm pretty sure it was Donald X who said that if there are more than 2 players in a competitive game most of them are going to lose, so for a game to be good it has to be fun to lose.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah funny how the mods inaction and now action in the wrong direction have made what was mostly a chill thread hostile toward the good members that were acting on behalf of the community to keep it good and welcoming. And under the guise of “difficult to work with” give me a loving break and just say what you mean “didn’t act like our puppet as we told her to”, to say nothing of the thinly veiled sexism that phrase conjures.

Thank you for calling this out, "difficult to work with" didn't sit right with me when I read it, but I didn't have the words to express why.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Anyone here played Dominion recently? I busted it out yesterday and had a grand old time. I don't see it discussed much.

It's still my favorite game, and I taught my 6 year old hire to play this weekend. She says it's her favorite "winning and losing game" because even if you lose it's still fun to build your deck.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Mode 7 posted:

It's ruined pretty much every other deckbuilder for me because ten minutes in to trying them I inevitably think "I would rather be playing Dominion"

The only deckbuilder I haven't had that feeling with was Slay the Spire.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

PerniciousKnid posted:

Wasn't Dominion also like that? I vaguely recall that in prerelease playtests they had hundreds of cards and just choose the simplest ones to make the Base game.

In some ways, yeah. When Dominion was just a game that DXV had prototyped and it took over his weekly Magic night he made a ton of cards. But in development nobody even knew if a game that was "just 500 cards" would even sell at the price you'd need to charge for 500 cards, so there had to be cuts. In some respects everything through Guilds existed in some form before the game was published, but that maybe sells short the amount of development that still went in to each expansion. Still, there's a reason Dominion expansions used to be a semi-annual thing and now they're a maybe-once-a-year thing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

FulsomFrank posted:

It'll be at retail right next to the Feast for Odin Mega Chest™.

Spirit Island seems to actually be delivering expansions and not just designer diaries about ideas for expansions, though.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

FulsomFrank posted:

Every now and then you'll read something in this thread that makes total sense personally but is so esoteric and hilarious to imagine someone with no context reading and trying to comprehend.

When the thread goes into train chat mode I'm baffled at the way people can just mention two numbers between 1800 and 1900 and other people will have an immediate understanding of how the slightly different auction rules will lead to wildly divergent experiences.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Count Thrashula posted:

I usually order from miniature market, but they're going through a warehouse move right now and I've seen people post on Facebook that they've been waiting a month+ for their order to ship. Has anyone ordered from them recently? I placed an order like four days ago and I'm curious what kind of wait I'm getting myself into.

My latest Miniature Market order was placed on August 17th and it shipped September 13th.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

RabidWeasel posted:

Sorry, what???

https://misutmeeple.com/2014/10/resena-race-for-galaxy/

This is awesome, and since I've already learned to decipher Race's hieroglyphs, it doesn't matter that I can't read Spanish.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Frozen Peach posted:

But at some point I'll arrive at my destination. A maximum distance from malaise to excitement. Just like Sam and Frodo's journey taking them a maximum distance from the Shire, assuming middleearth is a round world like earth is? Some big LOTR fan is going to jump in here I'm sure.

It's complicated. At the end of the second age the world changed from flat to curved, but elven ships can still follow the Straight Way to reach Valinor.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

CitizenKeen posted:

Are all the Horizons of Spirit Island spirits considered low complexity?

That seems to be the intent. Sun-Bright Whirlwind feels maybe a little more medium-low from my admittedly novice perspective.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

When the deck did get too big to be able to find the engine pieces you needed reliably, they bolted on a mechanic so that you could search for the piece you needed, and future expansions stopped adding to that bloated card pool.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah in the third big box expansion that will definitely come out one day, sometime after Avatar 5

Hey now, Cameron actually made a second Avatar movie.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Magnetic North posted:

Anyone ever buy a Folded Space insert? https://www.foldedspace.net/ Was considering getting the Concordia one.

I got one bundled with Gentes and another one just came with Frosthaven. I've made a lot of custom foamcore inserts and they're self-evidently nicer than my own work. They use a higher quality foamcore than you can get from the science fair boards at Wal-Mart and their cuts are always straight. Assembly is simple and pleasant, but loving hell, the shipping from Bulgaria has kept me from buying more.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

homullus posted:

Summoner Wars 2e is easily the best faction-based tactical game I can think of to play with an 8-year-old. I would have begged to play it every day at age 8. I don't know what would be distant second, maybe X-Wing with rosters you wrote up in advance? Every other "better" faction-based game I can think of is some combination of (1) not tactical (e.g. Blue Moon Legends), (2) not 3+faction (e.g. Earth Reborn), (3) beyond most 8-year-olds (e.g. Mage Knight, Sakura Arms).

I sold Summoner Wars because my gaming group wants different flavors of "more" out of faction-based tactics experiences, not because it's bad.

Thank you for this post. Summoner Wars 2E has been sitting on my shelf of opportunity since it launched and I mentioned your description to my 7-year old which got her pretty interested. We played this weekend and at first she was a little hesitant because it's a "winning and losing game" (i.e. not cooperative), but after we finished I asked her what her favorite part was and she said "destroying your enemies".

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

djfooboo posted:

It’s so disappointing we have a glut of 100+ campaign games and still required to work 5 day work weeks. Thanks Obama.

ISS:V is just Gloomhaven in space? so solo is probably good?

I could maybe afford to drop down to a 4 day work week if I stopped buying all these 30 lb board games I don't have time to play.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I got the tuner cube, tried to use it once or twice, but a real problem was defining what happens when your time runs out. In a 2 player game of chess you can just lose, but in a multiplayer euro game you can't just drop a player, they're explicitly not designed for that.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Morpheus posted:

I have finished putting together my new 3d printer.

And so, the Age of Foamcore has come to and end. Now is the Age of Prints.

Check back in with us and let us know if you still feel this way after you print a stupid little box and it takes three goddamn hours.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Glazius posted:

I have to share a little love for Caverna: The Forgotten Folk, which adds variant playable folks to Caverna like the humans who only dig one tile at a time but can overhang their outside board, or the trolls who always get one more thing from adventures but eat more and can't use big weapons.

It also introduces actual cave farming (planting mushrooms like pumpkins in open caves) and plantable rubies (gemfruits).

Each of the folk has four buildings to swap into the standard set of furnishing tiles, and they recommend swapping four folks' worth in even if you play with less people. They're all balanced against regular dwarves, too.

I've heard some criticism that Forgotten Folk locks you in to what your folk are good at, but honestly, the first few turns of Caverna are so open ended I welcome something to give me focus.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Anonymous Robot posted:

While we’re talking about deckbuilders, has anyone played Core Worlds? I have enjoyed Dominion when I played it but it is a little light on presentation for me, and conversely I also did enjoy my time with Ascension but it’s kind of a stupid game.

After my first and only play of Core Worlds it was dubbed "Ascension with strategy", the very faintest of praise with which a deckbuilder can be damned.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I played Glory to Rome once very early in my board games journey and didn't particularly care for it. Then, at the start of the pandemic I decided to design my own print and play for it, completed the design, printed a few test cards, and then completely abandoned it. It was a really weird time.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Catan is still the game that sells enough to keep the local non-warhammer non-magic-singles hobby shop open and able to stock the games that barely sell to weirdos like us.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Morpheus posted:

Man, why is the box for Furnace so dang big. I'm packing after picking it up on a trip and I swear it's twice the thickness that it needs to be, creating issues fitting it into my luggage.

The size of a game box is determined primarily by the price that the MSRP, the volume needed to contain the components is a minor consideration. People will pay more for a bigger box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

I played Carnegie last night. It was my first game night in nearly 4 years, and I am very out of practice learning an indecipherable iconography that expresses a soup of interconnected systems that turn actions into resources into points. There was a bit at the beginning where I wasn't sure if I was having fun or if it was time to turn in my cult-of-the-new ceremonial dagger, but I got into it. I looked up from my opening moves to see that my board state was identical to my brother's (who knew what the hell he was doing) which was a promising start. I was quick to recognize the Puerto Rico of it and the importance of making action selections not based on what I needed most but what the other players needed the least. I ended up in last place, but a respectable distance from first.

There are plenty of games that I could go deep on instead of learning new ones, but that's not really what the hobby is about for me. It's exciting to see what new ideas people have for how to push cubes around and having a broad enough pool of experience to recognize mechanics from somewhere else that have been mixed up to make something that feels newer than the sum of its parts.