Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Magnetic North posted:

Stolen from the Trad Gaming Industry thread. It's a thread of TTS alternatives that might come in handy.

The big thing with TTS currently is that is has momentum - I can choose any game that's come out and there's a pretty decent chance it exists on TTS. Probably every game on my shelf is available there, in multiple languages. Alternatives will have a lot of catching up to do in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Artisans of Splendent Vale pledge manager is back open for a little while. Get it while you can.

Looks like it's closed :(

Assuming this is the crowdox thing you're referring to.

Edit: oh wait I guess preorders are available on https://renegadegamestudios.com/artisans-of-splendent-vale/

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Naar posted:

I'd like to get a game I can play with my son for his birthday, preferably two-player focused. We currently play 7 Wonders Duel a fair bit, if that gives you an idea of how heavy a game I'm after. I've been thinking about Riftforce and That Time You Killed Me, any other options?

Targi, and its expansion, is one of my favourite 2p games. Morels is also excellent, with an unusual theme of picking and cooking mushrooms

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Looks like it's closed :(

Assuming this is the crowdox thing you're referring to.

Edit: oh wait I guess preorders are available on https://renegadegamestudios.com/artisans-of-splendent-vale/

They don't ship to Canada :(

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Triskelli posted:

Frankly if we’re worried about environmental impacts we should move the board game industry to pure print & play then swap pictures of our handmade copies of games

I don't know how I'd react if someone said 'oh hey let's play Root' and pulled this out. I think my brain would just hit a bsod.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just memorized all the monster health and statuses in my brain because I am Beepbo, the Amazing Computer Boy

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'd play Betrayal Legacy with friends. At that point, I'm hanging out with friends and every now and then moving figurines in a way that doesn't really matter - I know it's a game that I don't need to put my head down to think about, and we can shoot the poo poo rather than being forced to focus on it to make sure we win. Plus I'm a sucker for opening boxes and envelopes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Me buying board games: Haha yes, yes! More boardgames, yes!

Me having to pack boardgames to move house and taking a million goddamn moving boxes to do so: What the gently caress, this sucks, gently caress!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Any faction I play is bad and any faction my opponent(s) play is/are OP.

This applies to all games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah my gf enjoys competitive games, though sometimes can get a little too competitive. She doesn't mind losing because someone got a higher score, but if that person got a higher score because they denied her points, then she gets frustrated.

(ie the difference between gaining two points and gaining zero points but stopping the other person from gaining two points - the resulting difference in scores is the same)

She's acknowledged that it's dumb, and tries not to take it personally but grew up in a family of very competitive board/card gamers so it's a tough habit for her to shake.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Some ~Table Bling~ arrived today. Linking in full res for the extra :swoon:

All the tiles are reversible and have coasters on the back.

The tile that is already a coaster?

They also included a $25usd gift card as my order shipped late.
Continually impressed by all my Wymwood products.

This is so extra and I must have it. Was it a lot for shipping? How did you pick which tiles to get?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Tried playing archipelago with fancy metal money once, but it's really hard to do a blind auction with money-in-fist when the money clinks together.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Has any board game done paper money better than millennium blades

While I love throwing literal stacks of cash around, the problem I have with MB is that it ends up with a completely unmanageable pile of cash on the store that starts spilling into stuff that no one wants to manage since it's real time.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

For those enjoying Ark Nova, how did the enormous amount of cards and the randomness associated with it affect the game? Even before the NPI review that lambasted it, I had concerns with that after seeing SUSD talk about the game.

Like, I'm not a terribly strategic person that would zero in on a strategy and hope to get the cards for it, but I could see myself getting really frustrated with feeling like I'm playing against the deck and losing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mayveena posted:

All I can say is that the same people who aren't me keep winning our games. So there has to be more to it than card randomness, right?

Fair enough. Definitely looks like the kind of game I'd like, so whenever I get to play it I'm going to avoid bringing it up.

(Unless I lose in which case fuckin' random card bullshit munchkin would've won if it wasn't random 0/10 game guys anyway let's play Betrayal)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hm I remember Ark Nova looking different but alright

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CommonShore posted:

coincidentally my copy of Marauders just today arrived

Mine was supposed to arrive on Friday, except I got a delivery slip on my door and a Staples address that told me they had no idea wtf the slip was for, then the tracking updated to tell me that the package was still in the US, then it spent a few days travelling around the state of NY while being delayed a few times, then it finally reached my city and was out for delivery today but the driver didn't bother buzzing my apartment so no game for me yet :(

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

If I can push back on this a little bit, I think that Riverfolk might not be the ideal first expansion. If you have a solid group of players who will definitely be playing quite a bit, I think it's more tenable, but the Otters that Bottom Liner talks about rely really heavily on everyone at the table knowing the cards in the deck very well. I find that the learning process for Root tends to be a) learning your faction and the general rules b) learning the other factions over several games c) learning the deck. For this reason, if you're not likely to play the game with a recurring group, the Otters are going to be severely handicapped because new players tend not to understand in their first games what the value of the cards is.

I've played half a dozen games and I still don't understand the value of cards. I tend to not think about them (except for the ones that obliterate all other tokens or whatever)

Surprise! I am bad at the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

armorer posted:

This definition of "right-thinking" is why I end up being bored out of my mind when party games come out half the time. It never ends. It just becomes "the activity for the rest of the night".

Yeah this is why, if I see something like CAH at a gathering, I immediately try to suggest anything else because the moment that thing gets pulled out, it dominates the rest of the evening

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Infinitum posted:

I too hate laughing with my friends

I guess I haven't played a whole ton of party games, but the good ones I have played have a definitive end, and we get a few rounds. The ones that don't are almost always terrible and yet continue being played past when they should've stopped.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

What you do with the otters is set up your guys to be reaaaaal advantageous to someone who is about to maybe get attacked.

"Boy it sure would be useful if you had like four more guys to fight back, wouldnt it? Otherwise your folks are gonna get stomped. Just saying."

Of course this is all contingent on other players so sometimes you just don't get that chance.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

SettingSun posted:

I remember the first night a really hosted board games. I stressed way out and definitely overprepared. Now it's just people let themselves in, we shoot poo poo while they crack open their drinks and I get the game ready. If time allows we'll gush over how good the game we just played was afterwards.

My first time was similar. Was worried, but over a few hours I calmed down, didn't worry about hosting duties, had a store bought lasagna prepared, people had a really good time. I was definitely ready to make it a monthly thing, could definitely do it again with less stress.

That was February 2020.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

Complaints about (Unlock)

I've played all the Unlocks (except for the latest one made for kids) and it's telling that when you said the name of the one you played I didn't even remember that it was an Unlock game. There are some really good memorable ones, but clearly Insert Coin isn't one of them.

I quite like the Unlock games, far more than Exit. In Exit, the puzzles are frequently similar, or requiring weird leaps of logic that either leaving me and my partner confused as to how we were expected to know them, or having us know what the solution is, but not quite what the game wants us to do. Like, folding a piece of paper a certain way and looking at it to see a number. Some of them are quite good (we've also played all of those), but some really come up short. Especially the more linear ones where the 'story' is basically "You find a card on the ground (you solve the card) suddenly you find another card in the next room (you solve the card) then in the next room there's a card..." And the more destructive features of the series are frequently needless and feel like they've been inserted simply to prevent resale.

Anyway. Didn't mean to gripe about Exit.

Unlock's app integration can make for some really interesting puzzles and gimmicks, like one where you're wandering through a jungle using the app as a map, or one where the game starts with the timer at 0 and counts up, with events occurring at certain times, or letting you use it to solve a mystery, etc. And I quite like the less linear approach to puzzles, feeling more like an adventure game where you've got numerous things in your inventory and are thinking about where, in three rooms available, you can use them.

It's a shame the one you started with was so dull, though. And I absolutely do not recommend playing with more than 3 people. 2 is ideal, I find.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

The one Exit I've played felt like that, and the one Unlock didn't. I hope they all have that sort of openness and/or mystery because it's the interweaving of the lateral thinking that is enjoyable, not simply a concatenation of them.

Also, based on the one Exit I played, I did not feel the destruction was just to prevent resale. It allowed for puzzles that you could not do without it. Now, maybe some big evil exec said, "You know this one-use-game trend that grogs are complaining about? What is we leaned in twice as hard and had the games self destruct? That will surely be profitable" but I imagine it was more like, "Yo, legacy games showed us that people will tolerate single use or short-run games and component destruction. Can we use that idea to do something cool and new?"

I am looking forward to trying more of these.

I've played a few Exit games without destroying stuff, with the intention of giving it to my friends afterwards. When playing with that kind of mindset it's really easy to see how often you're asked to cut something up or fold something without any need to (mechanically or thematically). Sometimes it adds a lot to the experience though, but I've got a few sitting on my shelf that have been played but unaltered that say otherwise.

Me and my partner still get each one as it comes out though. Though some might be less than stellar, they're still a fun way to spend ~45 minutes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Norse Mythology. There will be no women in the art.

Or POC. Because it's historically accurate you see of course

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I played GP once but got really tilted asy opponents blocked off everything I could do. Plus one of the scoring objectives was something about Gaia planets and they both had races that made getting Gaia planets easier and gave them bonuses for it, which really annoyed me, so they ended up boxing me in, more or less, as they built across the system.

That and I'm pretty sure we read the rules on science wrong, though even after rereading them repeatedly something felt off. I just ended up focusing on science and then....not being able to do any more science or something, like maxing out the score on it. I forget, it's been a while. I want to try playing it again sometime, would rather not have that sour experience the only one I have.

Edit: I was the bugs, or whatever the race was that has the big power chunk worth 3.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Love me some Player Mat Dicks

Glad I'm not the only one that saw that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah Ive always heard that the horned rat screws with the balance

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Went to a small gathering over the weekend and the first game our host opened up was a new one he has just gotten called Here to Slay just based on the name and the art, I was hesitant, but after the rules were explained I knew I'd be in for a bad time. Basically just Munchkin with dice rolling, lots of take-that actions and modifying people's dice. Like any Munchkin-like, I won by waiting until everyone had exhausted their modifier cards and then played a bunch of stuff in a row to get the winning objective (get all six classes in my party). Was pretty dumb, thankfully was fairly short. Didn't help that I had a growing migraine, I might've enjoyed shooting the poo poo more if that hadn't been the case.

At that point I pulled out The Crew Deep Mission, which was a ton of fun. I love the new objective structure, though am kind of bummed that I needed to buy this new game just for that. Would've liked just getting a mini-pack of cards for the original game instead to replace the objectives in that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Aramoro posted:

Played a bunch of Anno 1800 now. For those who haven't it's a worker placement game by Martin Wallace where you build factories and send you workers to work in them and you can use your opponents factories as well by trading with their islands. It's a fairly neat little system and the end game mechanic is quite nice. Every time you get a worker you get card which has some requirements to satisfy to get a bonus and some end game scoring, the game ends when someone runs out of these cards. So getting more workers gets you more cards which puts you further away from ending the game.

All the systems are really neat and fit together nicely but I'm sort of conflicted about it. There are only 2 copies of each factory so you will need to trade with people to get things that you need, this ends up being quite symmetrical so everyone is getting traded with at about the same rate. The worker placement and building factories is quite straight forward which just leaves the bonuses on the cards that you get. These are quite variable and getting good ones gives you a big advantage because everything else is so even.

The game is still fun enough to build your factories and whatever but if you dislike random elements then I would maybe avoid.

I like the idea of the game, but the random elements can be absurd for what appears to be a euro. I drew more cards than my friend, but he ended up with numerous cards that gave him high-level workers, where I kept drawing low-level ones. The amount of resources required to get a low-level worker to a higher-level one meant that it was essentially impossible for me to win the game past a certain point, all due to card draws and nothing else. I was bleeding resources simply trying to get anywhere near him.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

OmegaGoo posted:

Got to play a bunch of The Crew: Deep Sea today. I think that, compared to the original, it’s a better game. The original feels like it’s a better (or “purer”) puzzle. I suppose it matters which thing you’re looking for.

Also, got to see friends I haven’t seen in person for two plus years, so hooray for that!

Oh hey are you me, I did precisely that like a week ago, with friends I hadn't seen for two years as well.

I just wish that they had sold the mission deck separately as an option. Like, I didn't really want to buy a whole new game, but the new objectives structure was too good to pass up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Viper915 posted:

I remember seeing a post somewhere that it wasn't really viable as an expansion at that price point. Between the cost of the new cards and rulebook, plus packaging, they still could only get it to come out as a few dollars less than the full game, which MSRP is less than $15 don't forget. Then they have to decide if they make it an expansion only that requires the crew, and miss out on some sales, or make two skus, one expansion and one standalone, and deal with all the distribution headaches that could cause. In the end they decided it made a lot more sense just to make it one complete product, even if it meant some people paid a few more dollars if they bought both games.

Yeah that makes sense. I would've been happy just buying a shrink-wrapped deck directly from their distributor or publisher or whatever, but I'm unfamiliar with what kinds of logistics that would entail so I can see it being a pain. Ah well, like you said it was that expensive, hopefully I can get a few bucks on the original I have (which I have played....four times maybe?)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I got The Initiative on a whim today, which is not something I've done often with ~$100 CAD games, but it caught my eye and I remember hearing some good things about it (possibly from SUSD, but I also looked up some reviews before grabbing it). Hope it's good (please do not say if it isn't, I am extremely susceptible to having my opinion influenced before playing something)! Would've loved to play with a couple friends but due to The Circumstances it'll just be me and my gf.

Edit: Actually if playing with two people, is it a situation where it's better to play with two characters each, or just one (if that's even an option, vs having to have all four on the board)? I have not checked the rulebook yet.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

Hey fellow procedural person! :yayclod:

I have my own spare time project in this vein! Work in progress:

I enjoy generating plausible yet bizarre stuff.

Haven't a few bee games come out lately

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hmm, Mike's looking pretty salty isn't he?

I'm just annoyed because you keep accusing me!

And you know what else is salty...?

Goddamnit!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Well you're in luck, a reboot of the show was started in 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I played BotC at SHUX 2019 and enjoyed it, but would never buy it. I'd be hesitant to play it again without a professional moderator as well

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Just finished the second adventure in Unlock: Legendary Adventures (Action Story, Robin Hood, and Sherlock), and there is a part where (extremely minor spoilers here) a ministrel sings a song. Absolutely incomprehensible. My gf and I listened to it twice and absolutely could not understand more than like a tenth of the words. Sounded like the singer was polish, singing a song that had been translated to french, in a cadence that had nothing to do with the tune being played, in a big auditorium, using a $10 mic. Absolutely no regrets looking up the solution for that one.

Unlock has always had problems with audio clues, both from an accessibility standpoint and just when it comes to sound quality. Whenever there's one of them coming up I inwardly sigh.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

We had a very similar problem when we played through the pirate themed unlock. Just instead of a minstrel with a tune, it was someone trying to sound like a parrot. It was so hard to understand and there's definitely a certain point where the creators should have realized that they didn't have the capability of doing it and shouldn't have tried. Or, if they needed to include it, then at least add some loving subtitles, goddamn.

I actually mentioned that specific one as an example as one of the first times that I realized it was a real problem, I specifically remember how hard it was to understand wtf was being said. And that was before they started including solution books with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

I've been on a real EXIT kick with my spouse. We started with The Secret Lab, then grabbed Gate Between Worlds, Mysterious Museum, and The Pharoah's Tomb, with Abandoned Cabin in shrink still waiting for an upcoming camping trip.

Weirdly, the Pharoah's Tomb is the most difficult one we did, and we got it in juuuuust over an hour without any clues - by far our best performance. The Mysterious Museum on the other hand was listed as extremely easy and we got hung up in weird ways in a couple of places. (Spoilers for EXIT: The Mysterious Museum: )The first thing that stumped us was ironically the first or second thing in the booklet, where you have the "to infinity and beyond" card and the answer involves folding it. We spent so long examining the room itself and there were just no freaking clues really anywhere on that two-page spread, it stopped us pretty dead for a bit. The second thing that really got us was finding the "ad copy". I even looked directly at it a couple times but obviously didn't read past the first couple of words, we were trying to find color sequences in things like the promotional cards and stuff.

Overall an awesome series so far, we haven't hit any really garbage ones yet at least and a couple of them really stood out. Pharoah's Tomb was fantastic.

The things I hate the most in the Exit (and to a lesser extent, Unlock) games are when you have to look at something and interpret a number out of it. In Exit this often occurs after folding something, then looking at it at a specific angle. Whenever I realize I need to do it, I just groan and consider looking it up. Sometimes it's not an issue, sometimes me and my gf are spinning the thing around over and over again trying to see what the developers expect us to see.

Speaking of, we finished Unlock: Legendary Adventures, by completing the Sherlock Holmes adventure. Overall, we liked it. Some inventive puzzles and scenarios, though one part of the first adventure requires folding something - not destructively, but in a way that is noticeable if someone else were to pick up the game. The Sherlock adventure was tough as poo poo though, especially at the beginning. Normally, I think we could've done it, but we didn't realize how much the game expected us to intuit from the clues - as a Sherlock game, this obviously makes sense, but as an Unlock game, it's irregular. For example: one of the first clues you're given is a corpse with some residue on it. The residue is a mixture of chalk dust and, uh medicine I think. We correctly interpreted it as this guy being a doctor, makes sense, but what we didn't conclude is that it means he was a teaching doctor, which meant that out of the five or six hospitals on the large map given, we were supposed to go to the University Hospital. I mean, in retrospect, yeah that makes total sense, but deduction is not typically something the series has asked of players, instead requiring logical connections based on information presented entirely upon the cards given. Like, what if someone didn't realize know what a teaching hospital was, or something like that? Anyway, it's not bad, and once it occurred to us that this adventure was different in this way, we did a lot better and enjoyed it more. Oh, except for some number-finding stuff which didn't feel like it should've passed playtesting.