Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
TfM is about as soulless a game as they come and it's kinda tragic that it's captured as much attention as it has because it's a bad signal to other developers. 3 or 4 of the resource types are "money or money variants" and the others (the ones used for terraforming) don't really have interesting timing stuff to consider. You just vomit resources at the planet. The map play is uninteresting and feels like an afterthought as far as its game impact goes. The art came from Wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Rockman Reserve posted:

god help me I think I really like Solforge Fusion

Hell yes, I wanted to :justpost: about this game for a little while now and glad to see someone beat me to it. Absolutely deserves a look if you are interested in 1v1 card duel space. Some other big names in this space right now are yeah, Flesh and Blood, Radlands, and stuff like Riftforce, Unmatched, and so on. As mentioned, SFF feels like it hits a good balance between variety inside of decks and across decks. In other words, while I want to buy more decks, I don't feel like I have to buy more decks to keep the game fun. Yes, it's a bit fiddly (combat is similar to MtG but damage doesn't go away at the end of every turn, which makes for some really cool creature valuations), and requires a bit of tracking, but nothing too bad tbh. A wonderful design. My only concern is how strong drawing Leveled cards is vs. non-leveled cards in the mid-late game but not sure yet?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

My tip for getting the most out of TM is to not play it and instead play one of the many games that do what it is trying to do but actually respect the players' time and table space like It's A Wonderful World or Race For the Galaxy .

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

silvergoose posted:

War chest felt very attritional, not especially positional, not enough control to be an abstract, not enough tactical positioning to be exciting.

One play, though, so it's not like I am particularly knowledgeable, it was just very, very uninteresting to me.

Very well worded, couldn't pinpoint exactly what I didn't like about it but this it.

Throwing in another good word for Summoner Wars 2e. It's such a great little dice/card skirmisher that smoothed off basically all the weird rough edges present in the first edition.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

PlaneGuy posted:

I actually hate Tom's work in SUSD and he is part of the reason I stopped watching regularly.

He's like wish.com Quinns: some weird imitation of the original only wrong in all the important ways.

I felt the same at first as well tbh but I think a lot of that was just whiplash from not having the tried and true Quinns on-screen; I've grown to really like the way Tom goes about his reviews.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Of the tens of thousands of cardboard tokens I have punched out, I have slightly torn the art on perhaps 3. Yet I have never punched a token without fear of tearing it.

The key is punching in the same direction as the cardboard was stamped i.e. from cut side to uncut side and keeping even pressure across the entire chit.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Will shoutout https://www.clepsydris.app/ for time tracking (talk about an unfortunate app name), does a bunch of other stuff but you can easily use it just for the rather flexible turn timer features.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Poopy Palpy posted:

I got the tuner cube, tried to use it once or twice, but a real problem was defining what happens when your time runs out. In a 2 player game of chess you can just lose, but in a multiplayer euro game you can't just drop a player, they're explicitly not designed for that.

They could lose a pre-determined amount of points on the spot (or some other game-specific punishment), then reset their timer. Bleh.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Unmatched, Summoner Wars, Solforge Fusion

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 4, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I've learned long ago that the key to happiness in this hobby is to focus on finding gamers for the games you want to play, not games for the gamers you want to change or persuade or whatever. A game without an appropriate audience is a box of cardboard. Definitely if you love a game enough you can sit on that box for years until you do find that group for the game, but the real hard work is not finding that perfect game, it's curating a collection of people who enjoy the stuff you enjoy.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Glory to Rome is definitely a solid game which I will certainly have a hard time speaking objectively about since it was the first game that I really "discovered" and evangelized (this was before it gained legendary status, when it still just had clipart art). The amount of game to stuff in the box ratio was simply unmatched at the time, and it had this awesome appeal for core gamers in that the game didn't "baby" you, just a list of rules which laid out an admittedly pretty opaque resource flow system, a bunch of unique buildings, and the rest way up to you to figure out/break. And that was the fun of the game, breaking it wide open with zany combos and creative uses of seemingly innocuous effects. This sort of "unbalanced balance" has fallen out of favour in more recent times and so I don't think the game will hold up great today tbh. It's best held as a piece of gaming history/myth/legend and not much else given how far game design has come since then. Sort of how people reminisce about MtG from way back when and then play it today and realize it's a fundamentally flawed game which was stumbled into as a way to push packs of cards out of gaming store doors at a time when, throwing some collectible cards around a table for more than 20 minutes was truly groundbreaking. I'd say people who are interested in GtR for reasons beyond it's notoriety should keep an eye on Chudyk's latest project in the same vein, Aegean Sea.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 30, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

"This game is really fun because it's plastered in anime booba"

Did I do it right?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

"modular with high replayabilty"

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I enjoyed Mindbug quite a bit in the couple of games I got to play of it. I think the idea of being able to steal your opponents' play is super neat and really cranks the mind games up a notch for such an otherwise simple game. It is a game I am looking to own however I am not sure how much longevity it presents. Honestly, with how simple a game it is, it doesn't need to present much to buy a spot in my collection.

Now speaking of Garfield, if you want M:tG but good and not endless Rabbit Hole collectible (only As Much as You Want collectible), definitely check out Solforge: Fusion. It also sports his name on the box, and it's basically Magic if Magic were designed today, with all of the lessons of modern games and such. Creatures have tracked/persistent health, which prevents boardstate snowball effects. No mana system, you just get limited numbers of card plays per round, so no non-games. Decks are algorithmically generated a la Keyforge as half decks that you smash together a la Smash Up!, creating a just-right balance between collectability and playability/customization/variety. The tradeoff for all of this is that the game began as a digital title almost a decade ago and was recently reborn into paper, meaning there is quite a bit of fiddliness/tracking needed, but my god is it worth it.

Honestly this discussion almost doesn't belong in the board game thread since 1v1 collectible card battlers tend to be a bit of a world of their own, but I can't help myself whenever M:tG or other self-contained card duelers come up.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I heard speculation that they were the victims of Ransomware or that a disgruntled employee left and nuked the alg or something. I'm not sure if the real cause was ever revealed.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

My problem with Keyforge was that the turn-to-turn decisions just weren't that interesting, or at least didn't feel that interesting. The "pick a card faction and play as many of those cards from your hand and activate as many of those cards in play" scheme meant that most of the time you just vomit out the most populous faction in your hand and hope it all sticks around for next turn when, you guessed it, you will activate it all. Obviously there was more to it than that but I wanted way more hand management considerations and same-turn cross-faction synergies in my card game. Such a shame because I think everything else in the game way fantastically done. It's just missing the, uh, you know, fun.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Dude, NSFW tag that poo poo

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I tried Earth for the first time the other day and as a TM hater and RftG lover I gotta say I'm getting so tired of these "safe" designs. What's that? Growth can be placed anywhere on your tableau and sprouts can be placed anywhere on your tableau and they are totally fungible other than the last growth on a fauna maybe? Like, take a drat chance with your design and let force me to think about stuff, man. I feel like growth and spouts could have just been folded into one resource and that resource given more interesting placement and usage rules.

I find this "safe" design thing to be such an unfortunate trend and it probably has to do with the hobby getting more and more mainstream :arghfist: (yes I'm aware I sound like a total *****)

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 26, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Again gonna sound like a conceited piece of poo poo but I'm disappointed that many gamers, even those who are waist deep into the hobby (the kind who have a BGG account and so on), are blind? stupid? complacent? enough to let the "random bullshit go" and "everyone is doing something at the same time ergo this game flows well" stunts be pulled on them.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Cult of the New is totally way more prevalent in this hobby than in most and you can see why: it's Hard to find people to play games with. Especially for the kind of games you wanna play and the way you wanna play them. Unlike almost any other major "cognitive" hobby, board games require a group of like-minded people at the same time and place and that's just the price of admission, it's another matter entirely whether you will have a Good and Fun Time once seated (I'm excluding solo gaming I know, but that's very much a niche).

So people naturally arrange themselves around new titles because they: 1) are available and 2) people wanna play them (or at least enough people wanna play them that is removes a lot of the friction finding people to play with usually holds). So in that sense I forgive gamers for frothing over the latest and greatest, but I don't forgive them for rating TM a 10 somehow.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 26, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Bottom Liner posted:

Ask me about my dry erase FCM that fits in a ziploc sandwich bag and has been played on economy flights

Pics NAO

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Bottom Liner posted:

I made a premade 5x5 map and block off tiles down to the appropriate size (so we have 5 different 2p maps on each side for a total of 10). Each player gets an org chart with a spot to track their money and food/drink, and under each employee type there are two boxes, the first to track how many you've hired and the second to track how many are working today. Bank and turn order on the round structure board, along with marketing tiles to mark off as they're placed. We use a shared milestone sheet and mark them with different colors for different players (same as their restaurants on the map). We use red letters to track food demand beside houses and on player boards: B for burgers, P for pizza, Be for beer, C for Coke, L for lemonade. We do the same with marketing tiles, drawing them on and noting what they're marketing with the letters. It plays significantly faster as long as you write things clearly. My wife and I only play with this version now if we're doing 2P because it has zero setup time and no tokens to fiddle with.

Ahhhh that's SO COOL. I love dry erase-ified versions of games, I just have Ganz Schol Clever and Qwinto like that but would have never have thought it could be pulled off for something like FCM. Wicked.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

RabidWeasel posted:

The first few plays of a boardgame are always tolerable at best and the idea that it might be the most fun someone has with that particular game seems either sick and wrong or really tragic

Holy poo poo, this. The repeat play is grossly undervalued in this hobby. I have seen people, including myself quite frequently, who think they grasp a game on the first play and are ready to rate/dissect/poo poo on it whatever, but in truth the game is just way smarter than them still. Not saying that you need to play every game X number of times to be able to rate it (I rate on first play), but give games a drat chance to marinate.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 27, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Tekopo posted:

I don't mind getting demolished by better players, I just see it as steps towards getting better and allows me to see what they do in order to win.

Must be nice to be a grown up like that. But seriously, I think people put WAY too much stock in playing to win the first time a game hits the table. Where is that poster who said the first couple plays of a game will suck, because that. If I can walk away from a first play with a somewhat firm grasp of the rules and how they play out and some assurance that we actually enforced said rules correctly, I'm a happy camper for the most part. Winning and how to do it is more of a repeat play kinda thing

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Admiralty Flag posted:

There's one guy who frequently plays in games I'm in via Meetup, and he's a game savant. The rest of us take it as a badge of honor to defeat him in any given game.

Most of the time, I don't mind losing in games with him (much), because (1) he almost always beats everyone else, so I'm not alone, and (2) I can see what he's done and what I've done and refine my strategy. E.g., I've consistently narrowed the score in Brass:Birmingham playing against him -- still can't beat him but I'm getting closer, and of course when playing in games without him my level of play has skyrocketed.

But I was playing Dune:Imperium (epic mode to 12) recently, and the leader had 13 points and I had 12, with that guy down at 10 and the fourth in single digits, so I was proud of my decent second place showing. Well, that guy flips over two endgame intrigue cards that give him 3 VP, and he wins the tiebreaker on spice. That really soured me not on playing with this guy (though, what, he needs a horseshoe up his rear end as well as that keen gameplaying mind?), but rather on the game, where I had already been annoyed by the fickleness and variable usefulness of the intrigue cards even before this. It's been a while since I played but I don't remember, e.g., the treachery cards in Dune classic being so swingy (barring lasgun/shield interaction), and that was made by the guys who designed Cosmic Encounter!

(I realize there's skill required to keep those two cards throughout the game and not get cards poached by Secrets, and you're running at a disadvantage with room for only usable one Intrigue card, but still...aarrrgghhhh!)

Board gaming like nothing else has helped me appreciate that some people are just better at manipulating things in an abstract space so as to goal-seek and find local/global maximums and minimums or however you wanna put it, i.e. they are smart(er). It's definitely help me come to terms with where I stand, except for when I'm playing against them :arghfist:. And usually they are like awkward or something too so ha.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Bottom Liner posted:

Have a lot of travel coming up with downtime to play with friends which led me to repacking my travel game box. This is what I have in the box:

Blitzkrieg!
RftG
FCM (dry erase version seen above)
Superskill Pinball
The Crew Deep Sea
Radlands
Air Land & Sea and Spies
Battle Line
Lost Cities Rivals
Hanabi
Ragnarocks

And a deck of cards to play the following:

Skull
Cockroach Poker
Resistance
Werewolf
Regicide
High Society*

*Figured out a way to play this with a standard deck: A-10 of a suit is each players money, shuffle face cards and jokers for the auction pile. Kings are 5 points, Queens are 3, Jacks double the K&Q for that suit (Lost Cities style), and Jokers are a reverse bid round for -7 (-10 seemed too high?). Game ends when 4th King is drawn, score same as High Society where person with lowest money in hand is out.

Holy that's a stacked travel box! How does Ragnarocks compare to something like Santorini (share a designer)?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

panko posted:

https://boardgamechat.com/

chatgpt-style board game rules bot. played around with it for about ten minutes and didn’t see any incorrect output so could be very useful

this is badass. exactly the kind of thing bots are great at and people suck at: properly interpreting mundane rule

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

garthoneeye posted:

Depending on your definition of mech themed, Ricochet Robots.

hahaha outrageous stretch but I'm not even mad :getin:

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Yeah Red7 is Go Fish for people who huff paint or something like that. Chudyk, like most geniuses, is constantly on the edge of madness.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Mr. Squishy posted:

There's an end-game card in Innovation called Nuclear War (iirc) that resets everyone's tableux so you all have the fun of starting from scratch.

It's called Fission, and the game SHOULD be over by then anyway. I think it's an age 8 or 9 card and the game should rapidly be coming to a close by then. It's really in there as a hail-mary "I'm super behind and this is the only shot in hell I have" kinda thing. I think it's a fun card.

Whoever was talking about a third player in an Innovation game above: Innovation is a 2 player game. Ignore what the box says, play it only at 2 players and only with people who know what they are getting into. And only with people who won't AP the living poo poo out of it. Proceed to have a good time.

If I worked as a developer on the game there are definitely individual cards I'd design differently; some Age 1 and 2 cards in particular have a habit of being way too relevant into the mid game. Mathematics and Agriculture, I'm looking at you. But all in all the game is a fantastic piece of design and an awesome example of ~100 cards can really create quite a grand experience in a totally self-contained way.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

LifeLynx posted:

My friend got in the new Keyforge set, Winds of Exchange, and it's the real deal. We played four different decks, and I looked at some others he opened. There's a lot more to do in the game now, with a lot more interaction. I didn't see any decks that had no way to slow its opponents down, which was a big problem in past sets. If someone was able to efficiently gather aember, which most decks could do, a deck with zero interaction had to sit there and watch. Now decks can do both, and there's a lot of back and forth.

Token creatures make the game more interesting too. There's rarely a dead turn where you just reap twice and pass. Every card seems to have been designed with synergy in mind, and the cards and houses are better balanced. It's early, but I think the "buy two random decks and play" experience is ten times better than it's ever been.

Is the "vomit out cards of the most populous house in your hand" aspect any different? If that sounds jaded, it is.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Bottom Liner posted:

Classic YouTube apology, perfectly by the numbers:

Big sigh

I've tried making this video many times

My personal life is going through a big event

I did nothing wrong

I'm the victim in all of this

I wrote some notes down but this is unscripted/"from the heart"

30 minutes long

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I enjoyed my learning game of Ark Nova but decided my long-term opinion of the game rested on players feeling like they could see enough cards over the course of a game to meaningfully piece together a strategy.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Selecta84 posted:

The fish will also have effects which trigger of other fish being played, so hopefully we will get some card draw from that.

Dripping with theme

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Interesting project here to basically make BGG's ranking system more meaningful and better suited for game recommendations. I'll let him explain the system here: https://theperfectboardgame.com/about

First impressions are that I think he is asking a bit too much from the dismembered elements of a game taken separately from the whole, but some of the player profiles the site spat out for me did ring true. The site doesn't have many user reviews to go off of at the moment which is probably a big bottleneck.

Again though I'm not sure how meaningful it really is that I love Codenames, with it's abstract nature, low strategy and complexity requirements, etc. when really all these things basically mean "it is a party game" and it's not like I like every party game. I like this particular party game because of how it's rules, components, table-feel, elegance, etc. come together into a whole.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

ilmucche posted:

Is summoner wars a good game? The reviews seem to like it and the master set 5 decks?) seems fairly cheap

It is a great game, assuming you like skirmish dice-chuckers as already mentioned but be sure to grab the 2nd edition. They cleaned up some of the biggest pain points of the game (like being able to kill your own guys to generate resources, weird) and rebalanced stuff too I believe. There is a fairly well done online implementation at https://summonerwars.plaidhatgames.com/ which I played with my friend quite a lot before I bought a physical copy. Good way to see if it's right for you.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Acolyte! posted:

You still get your additional cards if you call Grand, you just don't get to see what they are before you make the call so they might be absolute garbage.

Oof, good catch!

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

PRADA SLUT posted:

The best iOS board game is Slay the Spire

I'm not even mad. Also this reminded me of the Slay the Spire board game which is so funny to me given the lineage. Wonder how that's going.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Ropes4u posted:

We have Roxley and a clay poker chip set both work well. You can also buy foreign coins to use as board game money.

:lmao: I'll take things that feel illegal for $400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

The Eyes Have It posted:

We have one occasional player who tends to reliably win first games for what I think is a fairly simple reason.

While other players are busy spending time figuring out the different levers a new game offers, he just finds a single point-making lever as early as possible, then spends the rest of the game prying it open.

He ends up basically out-investing everyone else IMO by being bold and focused and opportunistic (and more than a little predatory) instead of learning :airquote: the game as a whole. It's an effective approach but not a very sustainable one.

Gross. I hate the emphasis on competitive performance during first plays present in the hobby. First plays should be about, as you say, pulling levers, seeing what happens. Exploration. Wonder. Oh and actually executing the drat rules correctly.

The pressure to perform well just takes a lot out of that. The repeat play is basically an endangered animal.