Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Nice new thread for the new year! I just played Nicaea and it was pretty good and sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

I wish my game group expanded beyond my wife and myself so I could justify Nicaea.

These days, between work, family, and covid restrictions, it's so hard to get a group together.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

iceyman posted:

Overall. It's a solid B- in terms of gameplay with some absolute over the top glitzy and indulgent game components that definitely nudge the experience a few points on the margins just on production value alone. I recommend the Alliances expansion and would consider that essential now to the baseline game experience. It adds enough complexity to really up the decision matrix of your turns. I can envision myself playing this every now and again as a treat to change things up, but I doubt it will replace the more solid gameplay coops like Spirit Island or Mage Knight when I am craving more meat on the bones.

I pretty much agree with everything you said there. It's a great game when I want to play a co-op that doesn't require the level of brain-burning like Spirit Island, or when friends who aren't hardcore board gamers come over to play games since the actual rules are quite simple. My kid loves it and wants to play it almost every night too.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Megasabin posted:

Looks neat. I'm most interested in what they mean by creating your own factory. That looks like where their signature logistics gameplay will be incorporated, but it's hard to tell what's going on with the prototype pieces.

If I'm not wrong, those are the actual pieces and not prototype pieces.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Aramoro posted:

This is the issue really. For it to be fun to play the vagabond you need to work with other players but it's against the other players interest to work with the vagabond. You have to just shut the vagabond out, which really sucks for the person playing them.

Yeah I remember reading somewhere, it said that if the Vagabond is having fun, it means no one else is; and if everyone is having fun, it means the Vagabond is not having fun.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

PJOmega posted:

Oh we know that 2p root is rough. We were killing time and decided to give it a try as the rulebook suggested that matchup and we figured we'd learn the Lord of Hundred rules before introducing it to our full group. The first game was such a stomp that we couldn't figure out if we were messing rules up, so we did it again being extra careful and it was still a rout. Giving the cats an extra action as suggested by Kazzah might help. The primary issue was that cats simply didn't have the action economy to reliably bust up 3+ rat garrisons on mob tokens, so the rats ended up pushing cats back into a corner where they didn't have enough space to get any of their engine up.

No hate on Leder, Root is still beloved by me and my play group. We just have no idea why they'd even suggest playing it 2p with cats and rats unless we missed something huge.

You might want to try adding Hirelings, if you have them. They're meant to flesh out the 2p game because it can be a bit unbalanced.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bought Spots to play with my family and now I'm forced to play it everyday. It is great fun though, and there is actually some strategy to picking the right tricks to use or block another player. And it never stops being funny when someone uses up all their treats and still doesn't get the last number they need to win the game.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

I sit here looking at the Voidfall box and wonder "Have I discovered that, as a 40-something professional and new dad, some games are too much game for me?"

This is why I cancelled my pledge in the end. And now I go for simpler games that still have some level of depth.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Carillon posted:

What is the thread's take on Pax Renaissance as it is now in alpha on BGA? I really liked Pax Pamir from Cole, but my understanding is that it plays pretty differently than that game. Is it solid or worth checking out given that it's apparently a tough teach?

It's a similar concept but with a poo poo-ton more levers to pull and play with. So I wouldn't say it plays very differently. But yeah the first teach is pretty rough, best you try it out like 3 handed first to get a hang of all the different possible actions each card provides to you as they are more dramatic than the actions in Pamir. The other major difference is the 4 win conditions vs Pamir's score track - but you'll all still be constantly looking out to see who is likely to score them.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pryce posted:

So I started my copy of 7th Citadel and was pretty thrown off by the intro scenario, which felt just as punishing and difficult as the original game. I was initially really unhappy with this game…and then I took a break overnight and came back the next day and started an actual Threat/campaign.

My god, this is so much better than the original. There’s far fewer random punishments for making a binary choice, there are tons of mechanics for recovery, and they split up the “campaigns” into multiple scenarios that consist of “go out from the Citadel, do some objectives, then come back when you feel ready to move on”. The scenarios are all “fail forward” where no matter what you move onto the next chapter when you return. Improving the Citadel feels great and gives a ton of options for how to improve your next outing. I’ve done the first two scenarios and had an absolute blast. The story is far more compelling too, so I’m eager to see where it goes.

All that to say, if you find the intro a bit hard, don’t sweat it. You gotta take it at its word when it says the objective is to GTFO; don’t try to be a completionist.

Is 7th Citadel still multiplayer unfriendly like 7th Continent? I remember how 7th Continent looked like it could have 4 players but was really best played solo or 2p.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Really enjoyed the new games I got, like White Castle, Zoo Vadis and Scout. Especially now with kids, I prefer shorter games which are still relatively meaty in their own way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spiteski posted:

Oh man I really want to try zoo vadis.
Did you ever try red cathedral? White Castle is a kind of spiritual successor right?

Yeah Zoo Vadis was pretty fun, I think it gets better with more people playing.

I did play Red Cathedral but i think I enjoy White Castle more. Besides the theme, I like how it's such a tight game of finding opportunities and chaining combos together, makes you really feel good when you pull off a chain that you never expected to do and felt like you had no moves anymore. And having only 9 turns in total for each players ensures that it's a decently short and tight game but still deep enough.