Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can we add like one sentence descriptions to the games, since just a name is unhelpful as gently caress

They're all links to good descriptions of the game on BGG, which is even more helpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Tabletop Simulator banning people for saying they are gay or trans in global chat because global chat is to be 'family friendly'

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17kBMorbq59Izsu5gYA1B3pQfbyoaG102_p0pEWZx4Hk/mobilebasic

So mad I forgot to say gently caress THAT poo poo. No more TTS for me

I'm so, so loving mad at this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

I played Castles of Burgundy for the first time last night. I liked it a lot, noted the recommendation on BGG that it's best at 2, and so am thinking about getting a copy to play with my wife.

Any recommendations on must-have expansions?

No need for any that I've seen. Base game is perfectly good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I really gotta give that one another shot; I played it once many years ago and it seemed okay, but never played it again and have thought about it enough that I should.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Seeing preorders for Horseless Carriage popping up. Does anyone know anything about this game?

(How underwhelming will the components be?)

Splotter!

I'm pretty sure no one has any real idea what it's like, but hey their track record is pretty great if you like their style.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

is there any appreciable difference between R&B&C 4th edition and the 20th anniversary edition?

I have a copy of each and don't know which to get rid of. the 20th century box lid is a bit crushed so if there's no difference I probably sell that.

Roads and Boats and Coats

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm just glad I'm getting to play it on bga in alpha. It's a really good implementation, with proper undo, and feels like the right kind of game to play async (other player turns are impactful but you can gauge how they affect you pretty easily, your turns are chunky, doesn't take a millennia if people are pushing trains deliveries).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Orange DeviI posted:

I don’t think there is a better worker placement than Odin

I don't disagree, but medium weight it is not.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah report and move on.

Anyway, I've been going off on bga unique plays aiming vaguely at the extremely elite status of "can join alpha games at will". In the last little while:

Lucky Numbers: complete topdeck fest wtf
Railways of the World: was awful async with the giant map. Probably better in person.
Fluxx: also complete topdeck fest when it turned into "draw one, play all, hand size 0", but hey at least I knew that going in
For Sale: still top tier filler

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Shout out to Gameology, a very good store here in Australia, for hosting the shittiest Australia Day flash sale
https://www.gameology.com.au/collections/summer-sizzler-aus-day-sale

Just the absolute bottom of the barrel nonsense purely because it's Aussie themed.

oh wow, 40 cents off of Top Trumps Melbourne, what a deal!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Of course folks can like and all, but I never ask people to do so because my channel is not going to make any $$, it's very niche and doesn't have all the professional touches you see in other videos but I think I have a small corner of folks who like my style.

That was a light-hearted joke at the specific number of likes I think, not any jab about the content, if it wasn't clear.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

And in my opinion trying to end a game because you are losing is selfish. Let people play the game out and be a kind person :)

It varies widely by group, person, and game.

I'd never demand someone in 1830 to sell down all their shares to barely survive instead of going bankrupt, for example, but I'd also not get mad if someone chose to do so instead.

I tend to go your route, myself, but I'd never begrudge someone hitting the game timer, whatever that timer may be.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Some games don't leave any wiggle room for "trying to make progress towards winning while being out of it", though.

Games with victory points? Pretty clear "try to get as many as possible".

Racing games? If you can get up a place, yeah, that makes sense.

18xx games? I don't know, really. It's a heated discussion that's gone on for a while. If you're completely out of it, every decision you make helps or hurts *somebody*, and "make the most money" doesn't necessarily mean anything since the goal is to have the most money *when the game ends*, so maybe someone's trying to bankrupt you right now in order to win, and someone else is trying to have you not do so.

The Great Zimbabwe? Maybe you try to get as close to your victory as possible, but that could mean deliberately letting one specific person win so that they give you extra cows so you get closer.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The way I see it, the more entangled you are with everyone else, the harder it is to define making progress towards victory without kingmaking.

I mean hell, let's say you're at the bottom of the pile in Advanced Civ.

Do you target the person right ahead of you with calamity effects, trying to get a place up? Or do you target the leader? Neither has any chance of letting you win, and they may make someone mad either way.

It's good to think about and maybe even discuss these things before playing games prone to someone being very out of it but still needing to make decisions that will necessarily effect the outcome of the game when unable to win.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kalko posted:

So I saw the Hero Quest re-release on a shelf here today for AUD250, which is at least 200 more than I'd be tempted to pay for a nostalgia hit, but looking at the back of the box I was reminded of my biggest pet peeve with the game: the characters are Barbarian, Dwarf, Elf, and Wizard. Two of those are classes and the other two are races, dammit!

"Hi, I'm a Barbarian. What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a Dwarf."

"Yes, I can see that. I meant what's your job?"

"Dwarf."

I mean it's lifted directly from d&d1e, where elf was a class.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

BinaryDoubts posted:

My friend went all-in on Heroquest. I can say that without the benefit of nostalgia (the reason he got it) it's not great. Roll-to-move, martial classes get no abilities, lots of turns spent doing nothing but attacking and missing... wasn't my favourite.

Yeah it's 100% nostalgia trap. I had a great time dm'ing it at my birthday parties as a young teenager, but can't imagine actually wanting to play now.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Uh yeah, dabbling in everything is a good way to lose, but gwt is hardly a standout in that respect. Most euros reward some amount of specialization, gotta make those repeated actions more efficient!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SAR maybe? That may be wishful thinking rather than actual theory though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I really adore Nauticus and that feels similar in terms of the feel of K&K fast setup fast euro crunchy decisions no one knows about it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

I did my last (scheduled) podcast with Game Brain and it's up for listening now. I'll be adding a vlog to my YT channel. The first season for the vlog will be talking with marginalized people about representation in board games plus some solo vlogs on my thoughts regarding various things. For example in a couple of weeks I'll have a vlog on my experiences with Dice Tower West, which I'm attending this week.

I've gotten to the point where I was only listening for your episodes, tbh, so I'll definitely listen to this one and consider going forward.

Definitely link those vlogs here, though!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

radmonger posted:

The thing with game balance is that ~99% of the time, the biggest source of game imbalance is that some of the players round the table are better than others.

Imbalanced factions, handed out randomly, very often end up being a net gain in terms of fun, challenge and perceived fairness. Hence why they tend to be feature of many of the most enduringly popular games, those that standup to a lot of repeated play if semi-fixed groups.

If a balanced game means one player wins 99% of the time instead of merely 90%, is balance good?

But then what if the experienced player gets the op faction, and the game is guaranteed decided before it starts, instead of likely?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

If the group is aware of the imbalance and cares about winning, maybe they don't let that guy have the op faction?

Ah, and now we get to handicaps! I love handicaps. More games and game groups should be okay using handicaps.

They do work a lot better in 2p games, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Still waiting on my copy of Western Civ to ship out from the KS campaign last year. Haven't heard anything for a while now :(

I've always been curious how War would work as a team game. Was it enjoyable for both sides?

I've played half a dozen games of 2v2 WotR and it's been a blast every time. Lots of shouting, blaming teammates, intoning about how the kings of the east are coming to destroy the free peoples, and maybe a little more chaotic strategically than 1v1, the dice are a little exacerbated.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I've only played online. It's good! Hard to figure out how the draft really works though, I'd bet it's better in person.

Fair warning, I've heard that 4p is barely worth playing, 2-3p is where it's at, I've only played 3p.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Scout is incredible, yeah. Climbing game like tichu, with the can't reorder hand from bohnanza and wind the film!.

Instant hit the moment I learned it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

This thread spends too much time on forums drama

eh not really, it's mostly board game chat and occasionally drama, like most threads I'd say?

anyway, I've recently gotten into binary homeworlds, never really done any icehouse games before but this game is wild

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

Inflexible player counts is one of those things that permits interesting angles (but limits accessibility) and I wish there was more of it in a way.

There are some really interesting two player only games, for example.

Djambi and Mah Jong come to mind as both 4 player only and don't really work at any other count.

Can't think of any other three-only at the moment other than 3KR.

Churchill is 3p only. Technically you can put in a solo mode player or two, but I'm sure you could figure out how to do that poorly in 3kr too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

A good choice.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

Board gaming. I might bust out Mage Knight for the first time in many, many years tomorrow.

Solo, I assume, since convincing people to play it is impossible?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

You know it's funny about Mage Knight. In some ways it reminds me of Tigris in its day. If you haven't heard Tigris fell out of the BGG top 100 finally. Both Mage Knight and Tigris are great games that in 2022 are hard to get to the table because of the teach. And I kind of agree with what's happened with them. In this time there are a LOT of really great games that can be taught more easily than those two. And yes Tigris and MK are also great games but at least for me not significantly better than let's say Brass Birmingham which is a way easier teach. Or Food Chain Magnate. Or many other heavy games.

Even from a solo point of view I'd rather learn Cloudspire (yes it's way more expensive than MK, I realize that) than re-learn MK. Cloudspire has more 'meat' and more possibilities than MK which Days of Wonder has clearly left for dead. Unfortunate in a way, I think had they added some expansions like Cloudspire has perhaps it would be worth playing.

I mostly disagree on the difficulty of teaching T&E; there's not too many rules, and external conflicts aren't *that* hard to explain.

But yes, overall Mage Knight is very difficult to get to the table with others, and I don't really mind, I had a great time with it and now haven't had the urge to play it. Sucks about the digital implementation getting canned, though, I would have played a ton of it solo without having to set it up.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

Co-op with my wife, but I've never even tried to get it to the table with others. I've never been a solo board gamer for whatever reason.

An unofficial digital Mage Knight did recently come out, it just has a different name. There's a demo available if you want to try it. It's legitimately just Mage Knight as far as I could tell playing the demo.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1671590/Paladins_Oath/

I was completely unaware of that!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm actually pretty uncomfortable with that, no, and much prefer the bandits in 2e. And would be perfectly happy with someone noting that gwt1e has some cultural issues if the game were mentioned, rather than get defensive.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pfisters issues with cultural sensitivity are actually an important topic!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

He’s working on it. Always important to recognize commitment to redemption. We’ve seen a teepee-less GWT, and an announcement of a Mombasa replacement, Maracaibo the Uprising presents a scenario where the indigenous people rise up against European colonization. So i don’t see him designing anymore European exploitation games.

Yeah I'm happy with the direction he's going, just hoping it continues!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Majik Ninja posted:

I just found this thread and read through the op it was cool to see a some games I hadn't heard of. Then I jumped to last few pages...

So anyways yall playing any fun games lately or? We most recently got 7 wonders duel and it's a very fun game since usually we only have two players.

When I can get my friends together we usually play arkham horror 2e or formula d. I can't believe how much out of print games go up in price.

It's a real oldie but Can't Stop has been an instant hit (mostly on BGA).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Seconding No Thanks. Wizard plays 6 though it's weird as gently caress at that count in my experience.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh! Bohnanza plays seven!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

This is weird and I feel kinda dirty about giving them money for it. I've been waiting with bated breath for an electronic MK implementation but like. This feels like it should be illegal? Maybe I can buy it and paypal Vlaada ten bucks or something.

The official one got cancelled.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's awesome, one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Skull is exactly the vibe you're looking for, it's similar to liars dice. Maybe cockroach poker, if you want everyone bluffing constantly.